DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Default Limelight-Rush

How the hell can I play this? It's a very difficult song for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one here.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Limelight-Rush

You might try looking it up on you tube. I found this right away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aho4S8Y_oYk
This was the 1st one that came up. I didn't watch it so I don't know if it's any good. There are probably several more people showing how to play it also. Check it out.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 AM

Can you read drum music? I know the sheet music is available at www.onlinedrummer.com
There are also Rush drum books available on ebay.
Great song!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:33 AM

I learned it all by ear and that's how I primarily learn most of my songs. The more you play it, it gets easier in my book. I could easily say that about Tom Sawyer. Anyways, read sheet music of Limelight if you can, watch a drum cover or two, even if you're lucky, find a drum cam of Neil playing it. Those should do the trick for you.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:44 AM
Ghostnote

You can learn almost anything just by listening to it over and over and playing along to it. I think I learned Limelight back in grade 11 that way, so if I can do it, so can you.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 AM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
You might try looking it up on you tube. I found this right away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aho4S8Y_oYk
This was the 1st one that came up. I didn't watch it so I don't know if it's any good. There are probably several more people showing how to play it also. Check it out.
Yah, no...buddy doesn't get the ending 100% correct, but close enough. He does a pretty good job. The first fill actually has TWO snare hits at the end of it. Then, the next fills are done with a sort of variation on the Bonham triplet thing where you do one triplet followed by a flam on the toms. The last fill is extremely hard to do at that tempo without either two bass drums or a double pedal. Buddy on the clip gives it a good try though.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 AM
Platinum Member

The song isn't easy.

The guitar solo changes time signatures a couple of times, and an then coming out of the solo, the guitar plays a 3/4 part while the drums play a 4/4 part, which gets tricky to keep the bar lines correct.

I played it once on stage with a band a long time ago. It didn't go well.
Thankfully, no evidence of such performance currently exists.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 PM

Drumming to Rush music is a step-up from playing average rock stuff.

Odd times, ambitious fills, complex phrasing etc.

As a teenager, I immersed myself in Rush and learned it by ear, not actually realising what the odd times and phrasing were until much later!

I could do a usually passable version of most of their stuff, and played Limelight in a band - so it's not impossible.

Finally, if you can play drums to Rush with any sort of facility, you'll be able to confidently play most other rock songs.

Here's Neil going through parts of Limelight in 2011 - 30 years after it was first recorded.

I wish I'd had this in 1981!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILxZMfFBVY
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 PM

Limelight is not that bad, but I started playing along to it when Moving Pictures was released in 1981. I have worked through all the parts countless times and still it's not 100% but very close. I'd like to see an accurate chart of Limelight if one exists. Red Barchetta is more challenging IMO. Just chip away at the parts and you'll get there, I promise.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

There are transcriptions out there...but if you can't read then listen to the song...in the case of Limelight, a lot.(well, not quite as taxing as some others - Black Page anyone?...though I must admit I got bored with black page far before limelight. Peart has such a nice composition sense imho-love the ending of limelight...not really a drum solo but a continuation of the song itself with drums blazing the trail making no jarring disconnects to what came before.)