DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:57 PM

Default Drum shopping spree!! Need suggestions!

So as one of the drummers at my church whos life revolves around drums and gears, i have been asked to give the clergyman up to three drumsets of my recommeded choice to present to them and they will buy one for us.

How exciting...

Budget?.. they actually chuckled and said, thats why we wanna see at least three and decide. Do ur thing

So basically translates into if its not a 4000 dollar snare-less dw collectors , sonor SQ2 or yamaha phx, we will consider it.

I basically need:
basic 5 piece incl snare
Hi hat + stand
Crash x 2 + stands
Ride + stand
Splash + boom arm
Bass drum pedal

Lastly, isolation plexiglass shield

I am assuming based on the needs, theres a lot of leeway and room for hardware/cymbal/drum quality balancing here. If the drums worse, i can do better hardware or cymbals. Vice versa.

I am thinking for cymbals, i wanna get either the zildjian A pack or K pack.
Hardware is probably gonna be yamaha... its what they do best in terms of package deals

Drums... i am looking at yamaha live custom at this moment...
Sonor select force 3 also looks good.
Basically all mid tier range drums are being considered

All in all i wanna try to get all of this within 4000-5000 range total (CANADIAN DOLLARS)

let the suggestions begin!

Last edited by TripleStroke; 11-15-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum shopping spree!! Need suggestions!

People are going to give you all kinds of suggestions for drums. I always default to Mapex Armory because they are a mix of maple and birch, sound great, and if anything happens to them, then they are fairly cheap to replace. At church, keep in mind that you will probably have kids/teens sneaking back there to beat the crap out of them. Even if you can afford them, I wouldn't get anything too high end.

For cymbals, I would suggest A Custom Fast crashes. I have a 14" and 15" A Custom Fast crashes I use at church. They are perfect for that IMO. They get "in and out" pretty quickly and sound good.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

I'll second what PPGuy said - get something that's durable and not the most expensive. Even a Stage Custom Birch or one of the mid-level maple kits would do you fine.

I just had my church pick up a two-pack of AAX Vault crashes (16" and 18") for USD$299. Great crashes, very broad sound and not too obtrusive, and the price is hard to beat. If you need a full cymbal pack, look into the HHX Evolutions - a pack with 14" hats, 20" ride, 16" crash and 18" Ozone is USD$899 most places. I love those cymbals.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I would only say I can't believe you need a 5 piece set and splashes for a church gig. Seems overkill to me. Most of the popular lines sell kits in the 800.00 range which leaves some wiggle for cymbals minus the splash
Old 11-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I would only say I can't believe you need a 5 piece set and splashes for a church gig. Seems overkill to me. Most of the popular lines sell kits in the 800.00 range which leaves some wiggle for cymbals minus the splash
Have you seen some of these church guys setups? Some of them put Neil Peart's kit to shame.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Depending on how loud and resonant you need it to be, you could get a Jenkins-Martin. They are crazy resonant and sound huge for their size.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:00 PM

Get decent mid-price drums (toms and bass) like those that have been suggested and spend the bulk of the budget on GOOD cymbals, an acrolite snare, and a comfortable throne.

The Acrolite is a great workhorse snare and budget cymbals can be just painful to play and listen to. A comfortable throne is worth every penny.

Yamaha 6000 series hardware is great for the price.

You can get a Yamaha Stage Custom with hardware (sold as a package) for 1,000 and get cymbals and a throne from there.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

I'd probably give an intermediate level choice, like a Yamaha SC with XSR Cymbals, then give a couple higher level choices.

Also don't forget to budget for everything you might need, including new heads. Last thing you want is to get it approved and then have to go back and ask for more money for heads.

I'd also ask the other drummers that play as well. After all we can give you tons of suggestions, but we're not the ones playing those drums... you and the other drummers are. Someone might have strong preferences one way or the other, and if you don't really care, then it might go a long way to lean toward another's preference.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Oh, I definitely would not recommend the XSRs for a church. While they can sound good, they are heavy and the newer drummers will blow the parishioners off their feet. Church cymbals should speak and get out of the way. Darker works better than brighter in most cases, unless you go too dark.

For drums, anything with super durable HW. A team of different drummers will be using them and making adjustments and while I havenít had an ounce of trouble with my PDP HW, they wonít hold up under that type of constant readjustment. The Yamaha HW is a great choice for lighter weight cost effective and durable HW. For a bit heavier duty, Pearl makes killer stuff.

Tons of options for drums, but Iíd keep replacement parts in mind. No only for cost, but availability.

For a snare, nothing obtrusive. Something with a nice tuning range 14x5 or 5.5 should keep it nice and versatile.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Oh, I definitely would not recommend the XSRs for a church. While they can sound good, they are heavy and the newer drummers will blow the parishioners off their feet. Church cymbals should speak and get out of the way. Darker works better than brighter in most cases, unless you go too dark.
Heh sorry, I don't really have any experience with the XSRs, I just thought of that because of price. Yeah if that is the case they might not be the best.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Any mid level kit will do (Tama Silverstar, Yamaha Sc, PDP, ) but I would choose good coated heads for toms and maybe a good snare drum. Choice good cymbal pack, Zildjian A, Sabian AAx comes first in the budget.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Also another thought. If you are going full plexi enclosure (e.g. not just a front shield), you might want to get something with a shallower kick to give yourself more room inside.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
Have you seen some of these church guys setups? Some of them put Neil Peart's kit to shame.
Haha now that comments a bit overkill :))

But yea grunter a lot of our music is geared towards younger generation. Believe it or not, history of contemporary christian music has come a long way. We are a focused group of people aged 22-40 in the count of hundreds - basically progression has been positive with dynamic style of music. Its more than just a beat keeping nowadays. I look at it as a good thing.

And thanks all so far. I sorta knew going in yamaha sc would be the popular vote around here - however im not seeing many decent ones in stock in stores here. A lot of toronto canada drum scene seems to have moved on from SC's. I see a lot of oak live customs + 700 series hardware pack being sold for 2800 CAD. Also u guys are right. Mid range drums + high end cymbals and hardware is what i wanna go for. Might even consider DW 9000 pedals for it (i have one for myself already of course and can testify for it)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 PM

If it were up to me, I would tell you not to waste money on a splash, an extra crash or an extra tom. They aren't needed and this as much about saving money as it is about getting a nice drum set.

Go with a good three-piece kit and pick up a vintage Acrolite on Craigslist or DFO for $100 using the money you saved by not buying that splash or extra tom.

Don't get any heavy, crazy projecting cymbals. Get something thin and dark that won't fill the room. I would lean towards avoiding a cymbal pack, but maybe you can find one that works.

Get a snare stand for the rack tom. It's cheaper and quicker than cobbling together parts to mount it off a cymbal stand. Most importantly, it keeps the invoice cleaner.

What I have below comes out to $2,271 CAD, not including tax.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheElectricCompany; 11-15-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Yamaha Stage Custom
Yamaha 7 series hardware.
Zildjian A 391 pack

The Yamaha 6 series stuff is lighter if you're going to be carrying the gear to and from a van. The 7 series doesn't weigh a that much more, and is probably better for semi-static installations (churches).
Old 11-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Thanks TEC!
really appreciate goin out of ur way to total up the products even. I actually wont be using an online store for this but it is sure a good reference.

What is the obsession with the acrolite snare btw? I dont know much about it
Old 11-15-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
Thanks TEC!
really appreciate goin out of ur way to total up the products even. I actually wont be using an online store for this but it is sure a good reference.

What is the obsession with the acrolite snare btw? I dont know much about it
No problem. KamaK's suggestion about the Zildjian A 391 pack is excellent. It's the same line of cymbals I listed but at a much, much better price point. You'd save over $400 buying the pack instead of buying the individual cymbals. That is, if you bought them through Musician's Friend.

If you're buying through a dealer hopefully they can give you at least as good a deal as anything on Musician's Friend, if not better.

The Acrolite is essentially the most popular snare of all time. It's a Supraphonic without the chrome and with eight lugs. It's a great workhorse drum and they can be had for $100-$150.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:08 PM

Im an idiot... haha i even spell it right... and know what it is. But i was convinced u guys were talkin about the ACRYLIC snares... doh. That said forget my question. I know the acrolites are solid. In my head was like really?.. those acrylics seem cheap

Its what happens when ive worked 5 hrs straight with no breaks + have a head cold :)
Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
That makes me think the church is being duped into buying someones dream kit they can't afford at home.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

You know what you need, man?

It's always the answer:

Mapex Saturn

(There. I said it because it needed to be said.)
Old 11-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Don't forget the Lava Lamps - LOL

http://www.bitrebels.com/wp-content/...drum-kit-5.jpg
Old 11-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

But seriously - too many sets in that price range to mention.
Just browse a few store's sites to get some ideas.

I like Yamaha hardware, but others are good too.

Zildjian has a lot of different A cymbal packs.
They even have one called the Worship Pack or something.
I wouldn't let the name sway you though.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'm surprised it has to be an acoustic kit. I've walked into church gigs where they had a house V-Drum kit because they "wanted to better control the sound". You sure you don't want to get a Roland TD-12 or something similar?

But regardless of what you think about "the contemporary church scene", a good solid 5-piece kit, hardware, and good sounding cymbals shouldn't be hard to find. But if your budget is $1500, maybe you could leave it without cymbals and just have the guys who would be playing bring in their own cymbals. That's not too much to ask, is it?

But yeah. Mapex Saturn.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm surprised it has to be an acoustic kit. I've walked into church gigs where they had a house V-Drum kit because they "wanted to better control the sound". You sure you don't want to get a Roland TD-12 or something similar?

But regardless of what you think about "the contemporary church scene", a good solid 5-piece kit, hardware, and good sounding cymbals shouldn't be hard to find. But if your budget is $1500, maybe you could leave it without cymbals and just have the guys who would be playing bring in their own cymbals. That's not too much to ask, is it?

But yeah. Mapex Saturn.
Yep
We are coming off of a TD12 actually
Nobody liked it. For the past 3 years we had it
Moving on to acoustic kits!

Sry for lack of details on my OP. But if u have questions I'll answer them.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 AM

We had a mapex Saturn. Itís one of about 20+ kits Iíve had In our system. I hated it. I had the hardest time getting an organic and natural sound out of it. I think vintage style kits work really well in church though. The naturally less loud shells lend themselves well to a volume sensitive scenario. The c&c player date is also a good option for church.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I understand where you are coming from.The last time I played in church I brought my 3-piece kit (12, 16, 22, + 14x5.5 snare). Unmiked, all the coated ambassadors had to be tuned high just so the sounds would have some definition in the moderately reverberant sanctuary, instead of just mumbling like the unmiked church kit behind a plexi screen with pinstripes and duct tape did. In fact if I had to play again, I'd want to bring a small bop kit (10,14,18) and a 13" snare. Small thin A's or AA's would round out the kit with just enough sparkle.

Last edited by makinao; 11-16-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 AM
Gold Member

I'm probably a little biased, but I think tht the Stage Custom in the white finish would be perfect. Add the 7-series hardware pack and An A Zildjian pack and you're good to go. I admit that the Stage Custom snare is not everyone's cup of tea, but with decent heads I think it sounds pretty good. If a drummer wants to use a different snare, they can bring their own. Same with the pedal and cymbals. Sort of like if they were playing another drummer's kit on a gig.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

At church I do play a Mapex Saturn kit with four drums: 22/13/16/snare. There is a ride, two crashes, a splash, and a China. Peace and goodwill.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Yamaha Stage Custom
Yamaha 7 series hardware.
Zildjian A 391 pack

The Yamaha 6 series stuff is lighter if you're going to be carrying the gear to and from a van. The 7 series doesn't weigh a that much more, and is probably better for semi-static installations (churches).
As always, Kamak's suggestion is spot on.

Have you considered making this your signature ? Sure would save you some valuable time!
Old 11-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
Yep
We are coming off of a TD12 actually
Nobody liked it. For the past 3 years we had it
Moving on to acoustic kits!

Sry for lack of details on my OP. But if u have questions I'll answer them.
Good, someone wised up. I'm supposed to do a very melodic song with very gentle to medium builds on the snare and crashes this weekend. I already know how that's going to go. I've been arguing for an acoustic kit for two years now, but no one's listening. It's actually way easier to go quiet on an acoustic set than electronics. Especially behind plexus glass, but I haven't needed one of those either. The key there really boils down to your cymbal selection. If you get something that opens up without having to whop them and respond to the lightest touch, then playing quietly is completely feasible with much better than the mistriggering nightmare you otherwise get with even the top shelf E-kit.

If volume is a concern, I'd seriously recommend a careful cymbal selection. The HHX Evolutions were recommended earlier. I have those and they even open up when played with your hands. A pack of those are around $300 more than the A Customs, but you also get an Ozone that works really well in some many songs where you really want a nice white sound, without the super fast decay of a China. Some Hillsong songs come to mind.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Good, someone wised up. I'm supposed to do a very melodic song with very gentle to medium builds on the snare and crashes this weekend. I already know how that's going to go. I've been arguing for an acoustic kit for two years now, but no one's listening. It's actually way easier to go quiet on an acoustic set than electronics. Especially behind plexus glass, but I haven't needed one of those either. The key there really boils down to your cymbal selection. If you get something that opens up without having to whop them and respond to the lightest touch, then playing quietly is completely feasible with much better than the mistriggering nightmare you otherwise get with even the top shelf E-kit.

If volume is a concern, I'd seriously recommend a careful cymbal selection. The HHX Evolutions were recommended earlier. I have those and they even open up when played with your hands. A pack of those are around $300 more than the A Customs, but you also get an Ozone that works really well in some many songs where you really want a nice white sound, without the super fast decay of a China. Some Hillsong songs come to mind.

After a visit to my local shop last nite. I decided on three yamahas. Stage custom/oak live custom/hybrid maple (ascending order of cost)

If we go SC, we r gonna have more room for higher end cymbals for longevity and quality. HHX pack goes for around 900 here so it seems that we r almost settled
Old 11-16-2017, 04:13 PM
TripleStroke
This message has been deleted by TripleStroke.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:18 PM

That maple hybrid is so hot... $4k for 6 pieces (incl snare) + 700 series hardware across (pedal/3 stands/hihat stand)
Attached Images

Last edited by TripleStroke; 11-16-2017 at 04:41 PM.