DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Default Weird eBay seller

Tell me is this sounds strange: I found an orphan drum and decided to watch it - good price and will work for what I need it for - then I ask the seller if he'd take a lower price. No problem. Cool.

Maybe this was wrong, but I asked him if I can take some time to verify I can actually a specific wrap for it to match one of my kits. He doesn't have a problem with that. So I decide to ask him a couple of questions, specifically how old is the drum and what happened to the badge, etc.,... He answers, so I tell him when I find out from my drum covering guy if I can get a match, I'll buy his drum.

Then I get an email from him telling me that he thought I was gonna buy it and not just ask a bunch of questions and make him wait?

Huh?

So he tells me the deals off and he'll just wait for someone else to buy it and his advertised price. I didn't think my questions were intrusive or anything - I figured anyone would ask those questions if he didn't include it in the item description, right?

Anyway, I didn't have the heart to respond. I just stopped watching the drum on eBay and deleted the messages. If you want to go crazy about selling a drum to a potential buyer then that's none of my business.

But with what I described, does it sound like I did something wrong? It's a head scratcher to me.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:12 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Weird eBay seller

Maybe he was put off by the last question, where your decision became dependent on a third party.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Sounds to me like the guy was in a hurry to sell, and put a limit on how many questions you could ask. A lot of sellers on ebay are just that. Sellers and many are selling items tey found in garages, estate sales, etc., and ave no idea what they're selling except to research potential price. I wouldn't let it get to you Bo. JW
Old 11-11-2017, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

It's not getting to me. I thought it was rather strange. I suppose the waiting for the third-party might be strange, but I was up-front about that too (I thought). He seemed ok to me until I got his separate email. Maybe he was trying to rush me to buy - and that wasn't gonna happen anyway - so I'm not gonna get rattled.

It's his drum, he can decide who buys it, right? I do that sometimes too if someone is an out-right jerk - so I hope I didn't seem like a jerk. There's no way to tell now.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:53 AM
Gold Member

Heís probably a member here, and just wants the drum to be loved, and not just bumped around to the next foster home.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Heís probably a member here, and just wants the drum to be loved, and not just bumped around to the next foster home.
No...he's a jerk. As a buyer Bo and anyone else has to ask questions to make an intelligent decision.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
It'd be interesting if he was a member here. He said he's in his 50s, into drums, so this would technically be his second home.

Again, I'm not bent out of shape about it. He had a chance to sell it to me if I could just confer with my drum wrap guy, but he'd rather sell for his price to somebody else. He'd probably eventually get his price, and that'll be good for him. It was just the strangest thing that happened to me today.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:50 AM

Couldn't you just ask your wrap guy then if he said he can match it buy it? Why did you have to ask the seller if you could ask your wrap guy? Were you asking the seller to hold it for you until you heard back from your wrap guy? If that's the case I guess I could understand him not wanting to hold it, he"s trying to sell it, he did answer your questions. It also sounds like you negotiated a reduced price before knowing if you really even wanted it. Maybe I'm misreading something but the seller doesn't sound too weird to me.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:59 AM

Part of buying something is negotiating price and communication. If the guy doesn't want to take the time to answer questions and work with you then he's a bad salesman and he's not worth your time
Old 11-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionreturns View Post
Couldn't you just ask your wrap guy then if he said he can match it buy it? Why did you have to ask the seller if you could ask your wrap guy? Were you asking the seller to hold it for you until you heard back from your wrap guy? If that's the case I guess I could understand him not wanting to hold it, he"s trying to sell it, he did answer your questions. It also sounds like you negotiated a reduced price before knowing if you really even wanted it. Maybe I'm misreading something but the seller doesn't sound too weird to me.
I was just being honest. We discussed a lower price because he didn't have a "Make Offer" option, so I asked about the price and he agreed, but he still didn't give me a way to pay him the lower price, so in the interim I asked him about the drum and we discussed what it would be used for and how I'm waiting for a definitive answer on getting the correct wrap and he seemed ok with all of that for about two hours. Then he tells me I'm wasting his time and he'd rather sell it for his price to somebody willing to pay his price.

Does that sound normal to you?
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Do you want the drum or not? It's ebay afterall not Craigslist or your local drum shop.

You asked for a better deal....he even gave you a better deal.

"Well...I would like to wait and see if my wrap guy......."

You what? Next...

He may have been a little short with you, I guess in some parts of the country even considered a little rude, but weird? Nah...

He's probably from Jersey...
Old 11-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Gold Member

One thing about eBay, if buyers waffle at all, itís best to move on. The biggest reason, a bad buyer can spank a fantastic seller and drag them over the coals and seller has basically no defense.

In my case, I had no product (brand new by the way), a payment refunded by eBay after the buyer filed a damaged goods claim, gave me my first black mark of 8000+ positive reviews, when their reviews showed scammer throughout and I had my account frozen for having a bad attitude.

Bo, I would have dropped you like a hot potato too for being indecisive. That has problems written all over it. It wasnít me though! For the last 3 years, Iíve given then my middle finger for never even listening to my side of the dispute!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:33 PM

I'm guessing he assumed that as he agreed to a lower price then you would buy immediately. Maybe things would have been different if you asked all the questions you had in one mail - it was probably the fact that he still had to wait for you to get an answer from a third party after he had already answered your other questions that p'd him off.

If I was in the same position as the seller I would have agreed to sell to you for the reduced price if you got a go ahead from the wrap guy, however if a buyer agreed to offer me a higher asking price before you contacted me again to buy the drum you would be shit out of luck. If you can't commit to buying the drum then its unreasonable to expect him to hold the drum for you if he gets other offers.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Someone educate me. I offer an item for sale on eBay and it is "buy it now" with no "make offer" listed. Will eBay let me sell it for less than the listed price? I sell on eBay but I don't know how to sell something for a lower price than I listed unless I add "make offer".

By the way Bo, I think your seller got a better offer while you were waiting to buy it.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Someone educate me. I offer an item for sale on eBay and it is "buy it now" with no "make offer" listed. Will eBay let me sell it for less than the listed price? I sell on eBay but I don't know how to sell something for a lower price than I listed unless I add "make offer".
By the way Bo, I think your seller got a better offer while you were waiting to buy it. .
You can sell for a lower price by sending an invoice with agreed upon price, however you'll pay fees based on the buy it now price, UNLESS you sell it for more than the b.i.n. JW
Old 11-11-2017, 06:03 PM

I don't see any way that you did anything wrong. One thought that did occur to me, however, is that perhaps he's in a hurry to sell it because it's hot. My Dad is a tuba player and he has noted that stolen tubas have shown up on eBay in the past. The tuba community is fairly small (big surprise there), so when a hot tuba shows up on eBay, people note it an put it up on message boards like this (for tubas).
Old 11-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, as a buyer I never talk money until I'm ready to buy something. If I'm still not sure if I even want something there's really no point in trying to deal. As a seller I'd expect the same, so I'd guess in this case it wasn't the questions per se, as much as the timing of them.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:18 PM

If you offered him a price and he accepted it, then to me, and people I have dealt with on selling and buying over the last 38 years, it's a done deal and you take it. No "well let me think about it" or "let me check if it will work".

If he offered a price, then its reasonable to ask to think about it. He also can sell it to the next guy while you are thinking about it. If you ask "Can I think about it two days?" and he accepts then he should honor that.

I would answer questions up to a point but it boils down to this: Money talks, and bull$h!t walks.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post

By the way Bo, I think your seller got a better offer while you were waiting to buy it.

Thatís one thing there: unless he changed his listing allowing me to buy it at the new price, I couldnít buy it since we were both in a holding pattern while I waited for word from the covering guy.

He may have gotten a better deal and I told him that was cool if he did while I waited. If that was the case, he didnít have to be rude. If I appeared to waffle, then itís his prerogative to drop me, but his reason didnít make sense to me.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post

Yeah, it does. Used to be, most of the crazies were on Craigslist, and not eBay. Well, they've drifted onto eBay now ..... so you get the good, the bad, and the ugly. Don't ask why .... just shake your head and keep on stepping.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Ya, maybe he came off a little rude... but I don't think his re-actions were weird.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post

Yeah, it does. Used to be, most of the crazies were on Craigslist, and not eBay. Well, they've drifted onto eBay now ..... so you get the good, the bad, and the ugly. Don't ask why .... just shake your head and keep on stepping.
Definitely stepping AWAY ;)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 PM

I don't really understand how some of you guys could interpret bo as being rude. The seller included a make an offer option, bo made an offer. He had some questions that weren't provided in the description, the guy answered them. Bo said he had to make sure his wrap guy would accommodate him, in other words he had to make sure everything was in place and there were no complications before he made his purchase. If the guy had just backed out of the deal then I wouldn't think too much about it, but he used terminology like "wasting my time". If making a sale to a potential customer is a waste of time then that's on him
Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 PM

As an eBay seller, I would not have cut you off. I would have told you, "That's cool, but if it sells in the meantime, it will be gone. Thanks."

My assumption is that he thought you might turn into trouble.

Matt
Old 11-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

The other guy probably made a thread - 'Weird eBay buyer'.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbettis View Post
As an eBay seller, I would not have cut you off. I would have told you, "That's cool, but if it sells in the meantime, it will be gone. Thanks."

My assumption is that he thought you might turn into trouble.

Matt
I told him the exact same thing. Since there was no way set up for me to buy it at our discussed price, while I waited for an answer from my wrap guy, I said if someone bought it, Iíd be cool with that too. I made it very easy for him.

Iím sure someone has bought it, his regular price wasnít bad. I just think a drum with holes in it shoulda been a little less. No loss.

So this missed opportunity has allowed me to focus on the orphaned Ludwigís getting covered instead - probably a better idea anyway.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:40 AM

I'd say the problem probably lies with eBay itself.

They have made things very difficult for their sellers, and almost always side with the buyer if things go sideways. So, from a seller's perspective, if it ain't a straight-up, cut and dry transaction, the risk is generally too great.

Matt
Old 11-12-2017, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member

Well, itís done. I wish that guy the best.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:11 AM

it's pretty obvious he's an arrogant sell first, answer questions later type guy.
a lot of people do find themselves spiral into the whole anonymity aspect of internet sales/relationships what have you, that basic human to human interaction skills such as use of manners, pride, patience and filters required to form harmonious communication are dying. Most likely, a person like that online would be exactly the same in person.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
The other guy probably made a thread - 'Weird eBay buyer'.
My thought too.

You want it for a lower price, you want to wait to buy it, and you want to verify some things through a 3rd party before committing to actually buying. .

If I were in his shoes, I'd just assume you're not a serious buyer and move on to the next guy.

Assuming there is a next guy.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
it's pretty obvious he's an arrogant sell first, answer questions later type guy.
I don't think that's the obvious conclusion at all. Ebay is full of buyers who are nothing more than low ballers and tyre kickers.

We know Bo isn't one of them, but the seller doesn't. Who knows what happened. Bo might have been the last in a long line of requests for reduced pricing, double checking with third parties, or other such 'conditions of sale'.

Maybe he is just an arsehole. But then again maybe he's just had enough and wants nothing more than to sell his shit without all the conditions. We'll never know. But the lesson is, if you want it and you've negotiated a price, be ready to deal.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
My thought too.

You want it for a lower price, you want to wait to buy it, and you want to verify some things through a 3rd party before committing to actually buying. .

If I were in his shoes, I'd just assume you're not a serious buyer and move on to the next guy.

Assuming there is a next guy.
I guess I really don't understand the sales mentality. If I were the seller, I'd be happy someone was interested and more than willing to give him time to answer the questions he has, as long as he agrees that if someone else wants it, it may get sold. I was selling a cymbal through Reverb and was emailed that someone really wanted it, but he didn't have the cash. I responded by saying contact me when you get the cash and if it's still around, it's yours. He offered me less than I was asking, but I didn't see any reason to try to pressure him. I also said that if I got any other inquiries, I'd drop him an email in case he was still interested.

I think part of the problem with eBay and Reverb is that there are some people just trying to sell something they need to move on from and others trying to make a profit/business by buying and selling things. The mindset is really different. I'm not a huge fan of the sales mindset.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was just being honest. We discussed a lower price because he didn't have a "Make Offer" option, so I asked about the price and he agreed, but he still didn't give me a way to pay him the lower price, so in the interim I asked him about the drum and we discussed what it would be used for and how I'm waiting for a definitive answer on getting the correct wrap and he seemed ok with all of that for about two hours. Then he tells me I'm wasting his time and he'd rather sell it for his price to somebody willing to pay his price.

Yeah. ..................................
Old 11-12-2017, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Do you want the drum or not? It's ebay afterall not Craigslist or your local drum shop.

You asked for a better deal....he even gave you a better deal.

"Well...I would like to wait and see if my wrap guy......."

You what? Next...

He may have been a little short with you, I guess in some parts of the country even considered a little rude, but weird? Nah...

Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
Personally, as a buyer I never talk money until I'm ready to buy something. If I'm still not sure if I even want something there's really no point in trying to deal. As a seller I'd expect the same, so I'd guess in this case it wasn't the questions per se, as much as the timing of them.

Rite!

Check your messages on eBay? There's a lot of crap, seeing more 'maybe' talk is just more crap, waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masheanhed View Post
If you offered him a price and he accepted it, then to me, and people I have dealt with on selling and buying over the last 38 years, it's a done deal and you take it. No "well let me think about it" or "let me check if it will work".

If he offered a price, then its reasonable to ask to think about it. He also can sell it to the next guy while you are thinking about it. If you ask "Can I think about it two days?" and he accepts then he should honor that.

I would answer questions up to a point but it boils down to this: Money talks, and bull$h!t walks.

Exactly. He has to honor nothing cept' the winning bid. Its eBay, you're there to sell stuff, not canoodle with people, which is a waste of some peoples time.

Quote:
Thatís one thing there: unless he changed his listing allowing me to buy it at the new price, I couldnít buy it since we were both in a holding pattern while I waited for word from the covering guy.

He may have gotten a better deal and I told him that was cool if he did while I waited. If that was the case, he didnít have to be rude. If I appeared to waffle, then itís his prerogative to drop me, but his reason didnít make sense to me.

Its a big deal changing a listing, going thru all the hoops, could take an hour if things aren't loading, falling right. Who needs it? There's a chance for a for sure buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
I don't really understand how some of you guys could interpret bo as being rude. The seller included a make an offer option, bo made an offer. He had some questions that weren't provided in the description, the guy answered them. Bo said he had to make sure his wrap guy would accommodate him, in other words he had to make sure everything was in place and there were no complications before he made his purchase. If the guy had just backed out of the deal then I wouldn't think too much about it, but he used terminology like "wasting my time". If making a sale to a potential customer is a waste of time then that's on him

I don't interpret Bo as being rude, just too friendly.

Its called business. Nobody cares what you're doing with the drum, what you're waiting for, how much the item will cost you in the end etc. etc. Its crap talk that's a waste of time... that stuff should be reserved for the DRUMMERWORLD General, or Off Topic Lounge sections. It was eBay, not a drum forum.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
I guess I really don't understand the sales mentality. If I were the seller, I'd be happy someone was interested and more than willing to give him time to answer the questions he has, as long as he agrees that if someone else wants it, it may get sold. I was selling a cymbal through Reverb and was emailed that someone really wanted it, but he didn't have the cash. I responded by saying contact me when you get the cash and if it's still around, it's yours. He offered me less than I was asking, but I didn't see any reason to try to pressure him. I also said that if I got any other inquiries, I'd drop him an email in case he was still interested. .
For something expensive and hard to move, like a house, a car or a full drum set sure.

For an orphaned tom? Take it or not.

Time is money. I have better things to do than spending a lot of time with someone who doesn't seem interested in buying something that is pretty straightforward.

I'm currently selling some drums. (Hey, Bo! I'm selling something you need to buy and re-sell!).

I'm selling them cheap. I'm not hard up for the cash. Just they take up room in my studio for drums I don't really need or plan to use any time soon. Someone will buy them, or they won't.

I run my own business. Yes, I'll spent all the time I need to on the phone with a potential paying customer. Yes, I go above and beyond with providing superior customer service. But some people who call me just want someone to talk to with no real need for my services. I can only do that for so long before it starts costing me money in lost productivity.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

Wow. Tough crowd.

Good thing Iím not buying anything from you guys ;)
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I don't interpret Bo as being rude, just too friendly.

Its called business. Nobody cares what you're doing with the drum, what you're waiting for, how much the item will cost you in the end etc. etc. Its crap talk that's a waste of time... that stuff should be reserved for the DRUMMERWORLD General, or Off Topic Lounge sections. It was eBay, not a drum forum.
That's a pretty good point
Old 11-12-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
For something expensive and hard to move, like a house, a car or a full drum set sure.

For an orphaned tom? Take it or not.

Time is money. I have better things to do than spending a lot of time with someone who doesn't seem interested in buying something that is pretty straightforward.

I'm currently selling some drums. (Hey, Bo! I'm selling something you need to buy and re-sell!).

I'm selling them cheap. I'm not hard up for the cash. Just they take up room in my studio for drums I don't really need or plan to use any time soon. Someone will buy them, or they won't.

I run my own business. Yes, I'll spent all the time I need to on the phone with a potential paying customer. Yes, I go above and beyond with providing superior customer service. But some people who call me just want someone to talk to with no real need for my services. I can only do that for so long before it starts costing me money in lost productivity.
Yeah, that's the American way. The more it costs, the more the business person is likely to show interest in the customer. It's not about pride in one's work or caring about the customer--it's about cash. And it's all short-term. I've spent a lot of time in a country where they would give you the same outstanding service for the orphaned tom that they would give for the $5,000 DW kit. It's about providing service and thinking about others and having pride in what one does. And in the long run, I'll go back to the person who provides great service for the orphaned tom again and again. If I were Bo, the next time Orphaned Tom Guy put something up for sale, even if I wanted it there'd be no chance I'd even think about buying from him.

Parts of this thread have really reminded me of why I so dislike American business practices.

Last edited by taiko; 11-12-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
Yeah, that's the American way. The more it costs, the more the business person is likely to show interest in the customer. It's not about pride in one's work or caring about the customer--it's about cash. And it's all short-term. I've spent a lot of time in a country where they would give you the same outstanding service for the orphaned tom that they would give for the $5,000 DW kit. It's about providing service and thinking about others and having pride in what one does. And in the long run, I'll go back to the person who provides great service for the orphaned tom again and again. If I were Bo, the next time Orphaned Tom Guy put something up for sale, even if I wanted it there'd be no chance I'd even think about buying from him.

Parts of this thread have really reminded me of why I so dislike American business practices.
Over....the...top....

"American business practices"? Lol...

We're talking about a drum being sold on an internet YARD SALE... (And it's called "Buy it NOW" for a reason...)

How do we get to the whole "Americans suck" thing? And why is that even appropriate?
Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Over....the...top....

"American business practices"? Lol...

We're talking about a drum being sold on an internet YARD SALE... (And it's called "Buy it NOW" for a reason...)

How do we get to the whole "Americans suck" thing? And why is that even appropriate?
Because people kept saying, "it's business". If it's just a yard sale, then why not be decent to those who show interest in what you are selling? For that matter, why not be that way even if it isn't just a yard sale? I didn't write "Americans suck". The question was about if Bo did anything wrong and it seems there are differences of opinion on this. I don't think he did and I think some of the responses that suggest he did are driven by a "cash is all that matters" kind of mindset. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that' what it looks like. I don't personally think that's a good way to treat any customer. But I also don't think many American sales people would agree with me. Some would, but I think many don't.