DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Default Interesting little encounter

I was on a gig on Saturday at a pub and in the break, the guy who runs the band had been chatting with someone there who was a drummer. He introduced the drummer to me. Turns out he's been the drummer for Elkie Brooks for the last 32 years.

For anyone here that doesn't know of her, she's a singer and something of a british icon, famous for songs like 'Pearl's a Singer' and 'Fool if you think it's over' written by Chris Rea. She was also in a band called Vinegar Joe with Robert Palmer.

Anyway, he told me that in August, he was on his way to Wales to do a show and the cab driver took him to the wrong end of Wales and he missed the show! They only had a couple of hours to find a replacement drummer but couldn't get one in time so the show had to be cancelled, ticket holders sent home, and the drummer got fired. This is after 32 years of being with her. That's a big loss because they were continually gigging several times a week and it paid well. Apparently her son's friend is the drummer now. While he was there, I googled the story and sure enough it was all true.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/...dudno-13309776

We swapped phone numbers though. You never know, he might find out she needs another drummer. :) He was quite complimentary about my playing. He said "so if you want a gig..." I said I'd love it but it's obviously not up for grabs as they've now trained up this other drummer. If only I'd been near Wales at that time.

I asked him if he'd like to have a play and he played a couple of songs on my kit. Even helped me pack up my drums at the end!

Picture of him on my kit on Saturday. Definitely looks like the classic rock 'n roller! :D
http://i66.tinypic.com/2z4cu34.jpg

Him on tv with Elkie at the London Palladium.earlier this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3jcDvPE2YE
Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Interesting little encounter

Jesus that's a bit harsh.

I mean its Wales for god sake, no one can pronounce the name of anywhere. My van broke down over there once on the way to the ferry. I couldn't pronounce the name of where I was and the tow truck was 100 miles away when he rang looking for me.
Hilarious really but feel bad for your man getting sacked
Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Pretty cool that he was at your gig, always good to get feedback from a pro. But there is something about that gig story that just doesn't add up. I Googled Wales and its like twice the size of the state I live in. If I hired a cabbie to get me to the gig down the road, and I was still in the cab 2 hours later I would probably get out and find another cab. Besides the fact that its 2017, everybody has a cell phone. I don't know man, cool story, but I call shenanigans.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
Pretty cool that he was at your gig, always good to get feedback from a pro. But there is something about that gig story that just doesn't add up. I Googled Wales and its like twice the size of the state I live in. If I hired a cabbie to get me to the gig down the road, and I was still in the cab 2 hours later I would probably get out and find another cab. Besides the fact that its 2017, everybody has a cell phone. I don't know man, cool story, but I call shenanigans.
Yeah, I agree. I showed him the article where it says they're still waiting for an explanation from him. He said it's rubbish because he'd already spoken to her and told her the cab story. But I'm wondering if something different had happened instead. Like maybe he'd got drunk that night and missed the show. He did say to me he felt the gig had run its course. He also said he was actually glad to be out of it as he couldn't stand her husband. I think the husband was managing her and the band.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
But I'm wondering if something different had happened instead. Like maybe he'd got drunk that night and missed the show. He did say to me he felt the gig had run its course. He also said he was actually glad to be out of it as he couldn't stand her husband. I think the husband was managing her and the band.
And the plot thickens....................

Old 11-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Smells a bit fishy to me as well...but hey, it sounds like you had a cool experience nonetheless! Glad to know of it!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:49 PM

The link for the picture wouldn't display for me so I've included it in case anyone else who wanted to see it was unable to. Hope you don't mind!

Old 11-02-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
The link for the picture wouldn't display for me so I've included it in case anyone else who wanted to see it was unable to. Hope you don't mind!

He looks like he could've played with Bill Nighy in Love Actually...

Dutch
Old 11-02-2017, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

And how did a Billy Hyde (Aussie music retailer) logo come to be on your BD case?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Nope, that's absolutely fine, thanks for doing that! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
And how did a Billy Hyde (Aussie music retailer) logo come to be on your BD case?
Lol, well spotted! I didn't notice that was in shot. Yeah, that sticker has been on there since the 1990s. When I was working on cruise ships we did a world cruise and I was lucky enough to see Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne. Pity each place was only for a one day visit before setting sail again. I'm pretty sure the Billy Hyde I went into was in Sydney. I remember it being THE famous name in drum shops in Oz. I was excited when I spotted it. I was like, "Omg, there it is, Billy Hyde!". Can't remember what I bought but I came out with that cool sticker! Is Billy Hyde still there, James?

Last edited by Merlin5; 11-02-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Billy Hyde merged with Allans (a rival) a few years ago, and the resulting Allans Billy Hyde limps along, and seems to be over priced whenever I see their ads.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Billy Hyde merged with Allans (a rival) a few years ago, and the resulting Allans Billy Hyde limps along, and seems to be over priced whenever I see their ads.
Yeah, that's a pity. Could that be due to a generally smaller drum community in Australia plus Australia being like about 10,000 miles away from the US or UK and Europe, so it's more expensive to import goods? By the way, Mono is an Australian drum case company I think. Supposed to be very good I believe?