DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Default Why does Mapex pic the worst people to Promote a new Snare

This is an example of why Drummers are not considered very intelligent. Watch this guy read from a cue card, stumble on his own words, and just basically can't carry a conversation. Would you buy anything this guy tried to sell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYV7...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Destroyer772; 10-31-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Why does Mapex pic the worst people to Promote a new Snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer772 View Post
This is an example of why Drummers are not considered very intelligent. Watch this guy read from a cue card, stumble on his own words, add just basically can't carry a conversation. Would you buy anything this guy tried to sell.

I don't know about his speaking skills, but that snare sounds killer.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
This is an example of why Drummers are not considered very intelligent. Watch this guy read from a cue card, stumble on his own words, add just basically can't carry a conversation. Would you buy anything this guy tried to sell.
That wasnít nearly as bad as you made it out to be. Being uncomfortable on camera and not being a natural salesman is no indication of a lack of intelligence.

Iím guessing Mapex asked him to do this video because they think heís a great drummer and they believe he has enough influence to boost sales. Itís as simple as that. They know a positive endorsement encourages people without needing a Super Bowl ad.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

[quote=TheElectricCompany;1530146]That wasn’t nearly as bad as you made it out to be. Being uncomfortable on camera and not being a natural salesman is no indication of a lack of intelligence.

I’m guessing Mapex asked him to do this video because they think he’s a great drummer and they believe he has enough influence to boost sales. It’s as simple as that. They know a positive endorsement encourages people without needing a Super Bowl ad.[/QUOTE

I never said he was not intelligent, I was referring to the age old belief that Drummer's are not very smart. Maybe Im the only dumb MFer that's ever heard that. I was simply stating that personally I would never have someone that cant get a point across very well to try and promote a new product. Just like this guy from soundpure,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-UGi8Yymwc who does a terrible job at explaining their product's. Just my observation, damn if your not in the click around here your best bet is to not post anything. One guy can bring up something that don't amount to shit, and that will go viral. Someone else post the same damn thing and there an idiot.

Last edited by Destroyer772; 10-31-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 PM
Ghostnote

Try promoting a product in Spanish and see how you do
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I would say English is his second language and I have seen much worse. Take it for a drum promo and not a doctoral thesis.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

I thought he did a great job.

Also, just because a person can perform in front of people doesn't mean he/she can speak in front of a camera. Those are two different skill sets.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I would say English is his second language and I have seen much worse. Take it for a drum promo and not a doctoral thesis.
I was not trying to make the guy out to be stupid, Its just in general a lot of the demo's I see are not put together very well at all.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I never said he was not intelligent, I was referring to the age old belief that Drummer's are not very smart. Maybe Im the only dumb MFer that's ever heard that. I was simply stating that personally I would never have someone that cant get a point across very well to try and promote a new product. Just like this guy from soundpure,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-UGi8Yymwc who does a terrible job at explaining their product's. Just my observation, damn if your not in the click around here your best bet is to not post anything. One guy can bring up something that don't amount to shit, and that will go viral. Someone else post the same damn thing and there an idiot.
No one has attacked you. I think you're being too sensitive.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I was not trying to make the guy out to be stupid, Its just in general a lot of the demo's I see are not put together very well at all.
You claim you're "not trying to make the guy stupid," but what you wrote earlier says otherwise:
1. Your title asks why Mapex picks the "worst people" to promote.

2. You said he's an example of why people think drummers are stupid.

3. According to you, he can't "carry on a conversation."

He's fine.

So, of all the drummers in all of the world, what do you choose to subject this particular drummer to such harsh comments? Given that you say nothing about his drumming, we can only conclude it's based on the way he looks, his accent or some personal grudge you don't reveal.

It's now pretty clear who the "worst" person is on this forum.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I never said he was not intelligent, I was referring to the age old belief that Drummer's are not very smart. ... One guy can bring up something that don't amount to shit, and that will go viral. Someone else post the same damn thing and there an idiot.
Irony is ironic. But I'm just a moran.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:38 PM

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

He speaks much, much better English than I speak Spanish. I don't see what your beef is. He did a pretty good job talking about the drums features.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Sheesh, cut the OP some slack. I think he learnt his lesson. We're just used to super slick ads so I get it. Nobody here is the worst anything. Lets all be friends again.

If anyone here is the worst anything, its me at playing double bass!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

Looking back, I believe I approached this in the wrong manner. I assure everyone, someones nationality or ethnic background has nothing to do with this post. But I will say again, most Drum adds suck. If I sucked at giving a presentation at work, I assure you someone would say (You picked the worst employee to give a speech) and it would have nothing to do with me as a person.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
No one has attacked you. I think you're being too sensitive.
And I think you are correct, my apologies.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Hmmm... I don't care what was posted above, apparently some "shit storm". Anyways, I have taken a look at the video and I must state - from a strictly professional marketing point of view - that the ad is really bad.

I don't blame the drummer. I blame Mapex. They did tons of amateurish mistakes there.

First of all: You pic a drummer that feels comfy at presenting a drum in front of a camera, someone with the needed amount of self-esteem. If you don't have one, you train your drummer accodingly. You train him until he is able to speak the text without looking somewhat lost at a prompter. You train him until he looks convincing.

The cuts they made are so badly executed, it really surprises me. Looks like some cheap amateurish high-school-production. Whoever did the cutting-job was simply put unable to fulfil the job or had no interest in the job. Pic whichever you like. And why is the shadow of the mic in his face? Come on!

Another thing that went completely wrong: The picked the wrong snare for the wrong music as it seems. The snare is way too loud for the jazzmusic in that mix. It's piercing, also because of the drummer. Two solutions: Let the drummer play in a different style where the snare works well and where he can hit the drum with some force (that is msuic where he feels comfy). Or use a different drummer. Because the way he slams a "backbeat" home there is for me, a jazz-nut, an absolute no-go. He does not show the sensitive feel that is needed for presenting a snare in a jazz-context. The message I get right from the start of the ad is: That snare is not suitable for jazz (it probably is but the video does not show that).

The video is IMO a prime example of an advertisement-job gone horribly wrong. And such videos simply hurt the reputation of Mapex. I hope they take the video down before any more damage is done.

I guess not everyone will agree with me and that's okay. But working in the media-department myself, I just cannot state that this is an okay job.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Certainly Mapex is responsible for the ad, but they may have deliberately chosen a more human, natural approach, rather than something slick and polished. Viewers often find more credibility in an uncoached, more casual presentation - warts & all.

Ludwig has had me do a few NAMM videos, one specifically where I talked about their US lines. No coaching, no direction, completely off the cuff (I learned about the video on a few minutes' notice), and one take. There were things I wish I'd said more clearly, and some points I managed to completely omit in the spontaneity they entrusted to me. But, it was real. I'm a drummer, talking the way I talk to other drummers. Apparently, it worked for Ludwig. It's still on YouTube somewhere.

Bermuda
Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

As a proud Mapex Saturn owner, I just wish they did a little better on advertisement, I just completely blew my approach at saying it.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As a proud Mapex Saturn owner, I just wish they did a little better on advertisement

They must be doing something right.

They still managed to sell you a kit didn't they? Dinky YouTube adverts and all.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah,I jut don't the issue here. Definitely not the "worst people" category...

I certainly wouldn't have thought it was annoying enough to start a thread about.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

I could swear this exact topic happened last yar
Old 11-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

2:06: Eyes turned left.. "Because of all these qualities, the Equinox snare drum has become my go to snare drum, or so the cue card tells me" :D
Old 11-01-2017, 02:54 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
2:06: Eyes turned left.. "Because of all these qualities, the Equinox snare drum has become my go to snare drum, or so the cue card tells me" :D
I didn't get that far, I assumed he was just making it up as he went.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Gold Member

They simply should have taken a look at how others do it. Here are some examples of what is possible if you let competent people do an ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amnueBTUewo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK4kwmPCIuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WLTWvc6AhM
Old 11-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

The drum sounded great.

Try recording yourself and do a mock commercial and see how well you guys do talking for 5 minutes first off. I'll say this. FAIL.

now,, we could all totally botch the video but where you can make a bunch of garbage takes sound like a pro shot is in the editing. THIS is where Mapex did a subpar job (although it was not as bad as I was expecting.)

If I make a YouTube video I can cut about 12 minutes of footage of me saying uhhhhh, screwing up words, and saying the wrong things into 4 minutes of pure gold.

I have a friend who makes documentrys that get aired on TV often and he said for every hour of video they record they get about one minute of usable footage. EDITING makes a video good or bad.

Great sounding snare and tight drumming.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Personally, I enjoyed the whole thing. I enjoyed the rough edges, it gave it a "human factor". What, we supposed to be pro actors now, spokesmen, salesmen, etc?..I think drummers are the one group of people who should show empathy here, but then again, there are many here who think they smell like roses.

That drum like most high end drums sounded great, really good imo!!.

Some of you need to get over yourself!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
The drum sounded great.

Try recording yourself and do a mock commercial and see how well you guys do talking for 5 minutes first off. I'll say this. FAIL.

now,, we could all totally botch the video but where you can make a bunch of garbage takes sound like a pro shot is in the editing. THIS is where Mapex did a subpar job (although it was not as bad as I was expecting.)

If I make a YouTube video I can cut about 12 minutes of footage of me saying uhhhhh, screwing up words, and saying the wrong things into 4 minutes of pure gold.

I have a friend who makes documentrys that get aired on TV often and he said for every hour of video they record they get about one minute of usable footage. EDITING makes a video good or bad.

Great sounding snare and tight drumming.
Agree 100%. I produce Training videos, as part of my work. I can rehearse something a 100 times and deliver it in person with no issues, but when the blinky light goes on it’s serious urp schlop time. They definitely needed a few retakes, if they wanted a decent promo video. Kinda sad that companies won’t take the time to get things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonormapex View Post

Some of you need to get over yourself!
I tried, my employer wouldn’t have any part of it! It really does come down to the image you’re trying to convey as a company. While we aren’t all expected to be actors, a well executed and defined video is just easier to get through for everyone. We all have are quirks, so public material should have the widest appeal with the least amount of speed bumps!

Last edited by AzHeat; 11-01-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondbetrayal View Post
I have a friend who makes documentrys that get aired on TV often and he said for every hour of video they record they get about one minute of usable footage.
Sometimes it's even less. I was a cameraman for some productions where we got five to six minutes with good, usable material out of eight hours of recording for a documentary. It will be a better ratio when doing an ad, but still, you need to know and do your job properly. Which wasn't done here. But to be fair: Other drummakers also create some really subpar videos.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

I wonder how many times they ran through that and how much time was spent recording it. There's a million things working against a guy if he's not accustomed to being on camera and working from a script or card. Who knows, maybe the guy only got a couple of takes and didn't get as comfortable as he could've with more time.

My wife recently filmed a TV commercial and she was shooting for a day and a half just for what will be maybe a 90 second spot. After that, she was called back for re-shoots. Lots of work for 90 seconds.

Last edited by incrementalg; 11-01-2017 at 04:59 PM.