DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Here's an observation nobody here wants to hear ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Well, OK not trying to post negative stuff but I can see how it might come off that way. Not my intention.
Bo is posting an awful lot of this kind of thing lately...about how he sounds the same on everything and gear doesn't matter and using the same snare drum and etc etc. And yet Bo - you have umpteen sets and go through them like dirty laundry. It's kinda a downer.
Never mind, as you were. Sorry if I offended anybody.

That's Bo's function here.

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

LOL
Old 10-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I think it's time to stop.

Who's running the book? I'll bet London to a brick.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 AM
Pioneer Member

Looks like he changes snares sometimes.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2017, 01:38 AM

Well, the correlation is clear. To be a millionaire drummer, you must play Gretsch. :-P

I need to sell my Renowns. Who wants to be the next millionaire?

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/...356565943.html
Old 10-25-2017, 02:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by single-ply View Post
Well, the correlation is clear. To be a millionaire drummer, you must play Gretsch. :-P

I need to sell my Renowns. Who wants to be the next millionaire?

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/d/...356565943.html
Well, they need to be USA Customs, though ;)
Brooklyn's come in a very close second, but if you're gonna confirm your millionaire status, they have to be the USA line. Then from 1957.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
That's Bo's function here.

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

LOL
For some of the less fortunate Drummers on here (most of us) I can see how these kinda threads are a downer. I get amazed how some threads go viral, I wanna hear all these wonderful kit's and Snare's everyone has on here, but mostly all I hear is talk. Im just saying I wish more people would show off there gear thru video's or sound clips.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...h#&gid=1&pid=1
Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer772 View Post
For some of the less fortunate Drummers on here (most of us) I can see how these kinda threads are a downer. I get amazed how some threads go viral, I wanna hear all these wonderful kit's and Snare's everyone has on here, but mostly all I hear is talk. Im just saying I wish more people would show off there gear thru video's or sound clips.

Well, there's a 'What's your latest purchase?' thread in the general area:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=116083
and there's also a 'Your Gear' section: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=11
Edit: and lest we forget, there's the 'Your Playing' section: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=12

Some of us just like to kid Bo about gear flip-flopping. He's a good sport and can take it.

Last edited by wildbill; 10-25-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

one thing people forget or don't know about the Stones, they were mismanaged horribly, and none of the members got a penny from any of their music before 1970 or so. All those early hits - 30 or 40 of them - not a penny. Keith still uses his main Telecaster Micawbur since the early 70's too.
All their early gear got stolen at one point. I remember hearing he has 2000 odd guitars, but he only uses the same few on tour. I wonder if that might have instilled a sense of tight budgeting into the Stones that you might not shake off, even after earning millions of dollars later - mostly from touring keep in mind. Or maybe they keep their favorites with them at all times so they know where they are!

I don't understand the need to have dozens of kits and snares. I've played for 30 years now, and currently own 2 kits and an e-kit. I've only owned 3 kits over the years before that, but I've always been one to keep things a long time. At one point I had 6 snares, but I found I always went back to the same couple so I'm down to just those 2 now. (Although I wish I'd kept a 3rd one, my old Free Floater I never should have let get away)

I'm too old to ever think recording is in my future, and if it was, the studio would probably have something nicer there anyways, so I'm not piling up stuff for the "studio" any more.

Guitars I understand the need to have more of, a tele isn't a Strat or a Les Paul. But having 15 Les Pauls, ok that I don't get. Same with the guys that appear on here sometimes with 8 Acrolytes. I understand collecting, but it seems pretty easy to switch into hoarding. Hell I have to fight the urge constantly, so don't think I'm knocking anyone.

But new gear is fun. And yes I think everyone is guilty of thinking this new _______ is the last piece, that will turn me into a great drummer.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I came to a realization last night as I was changing my front bass drum head to look like Charlie Watt's kit: Does anyone realize, that he bought that ONE kit, and he's been playing it with the Stones for over 40 years now?
He plays the same stuff since more than 40 years. Thus there is no need for some new gear. If a band doesn't evolve, but stays put in the 60's, then you can't expect Watts to change his style and develop into some kind of Simon Phillips. If he changes drums, the Stones probably wouldn't sound like they do since 40+ years.

;-)

Now, on a more serious note: We all here probably buy now and then more drums and other gear than we actually need. But that's okay, some people need different drums and cymbals to be flexible in their sound, like e.g. Ash Soan or Kenny Aronoff, others not. Some people need a long time to find "their voice", some not (some even don't care/know about a drumming-voice). Some drummers "voice" changes with time, which leads to gear-changes (See e.g. Erskine). Others, like Watts, never change their voice (for which he is known and beloved) and thus never their gear.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was also one of those guys who played almost exclusively one instrument till the end. That Guitar he custom-built WAS 50% of his voice.

I know that I do have too much stuff. Three drumsets, ten snares, five sets of cymbals... way more than I need. But I cannot get rid of my stuff - out of sentimentality. And some snares are simply a joy to look at... Stupid, eh?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post

Guitars I understand the need to have more of, a tele isn't a Strat or a Les Paul. But having 15 Les Pauls, ok that I don't get.

I was in a band who opened for a regionally-known band at the time. Between every 2-3 songs, one of the guitar players would go over to the side of the stage and trade out one Les Paul for another Les Paul. He did this for their entire set. He HAD to have at least 4-5 Les Pauls. Even though I'm not a huge gear-head, I could hear NO differences in tone between guitars. It was ridiculous.

I buy drum sets out of need more than want. And by "need," I mean I'm getting really tired of setting up and tearing down, so I have a drum set that stays at church, a practice drum set that stays set up at home, and one set in the cases ready to go right now. My practice kit and my travel kit share the same cymbals, but I only play with one crash, a ride, and hats. When I was younger, it was only one set for everything, but I was younger and had a lot more time and energy.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknightx View Post
Guitars I understand the need to have more of, a tele isn't a Strat or a Les Paul. But having 15 Les Pauls, ok that I don't get.
Guitars have been my weakness over the past few years. I have 15 guitars, 5 basses, and an electric ukelele. 3 are Les Pauls. Some of them were guitars that I'd always wanted when I was younger. Child support payments went away, so I went nuts. Others are limited releases. Others I just liked.

There's something unique about each of them, from the features, to how they play, to how they sound, to what they can do. Single coil, coil tapping, piezo pickups, the list goes on.

Do I "need" all of them? Absolutely not, and I might even sell a few to pare it down.

I'd lost a ton of gear back in 2014 [long story], so part of this was re-building gone wild.

With drums, I have a lot of gear that I'll never use, including 3 rack mounts, a DW9000 remote hi-hat pedal, and some old 1970s Roto Toms. Also have more cymbals than I'll ever need, and yet might encounter a new one I like.

One of the pieces I did not lose was my TJS Custom Maple. It's not a standard sized kit, and I felt that I'd like one of those, so I got a used Gretsch.

No gigs coming up, or anything involving performance or special recording. I just record at home, for me. I take guitar lessons for me. And I figure, may as well play some of the gear that makes me happy, for me, while I'm here.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is why I hang my head in shame.
It's about time. The shamelessness you've displayed here over the years did not escape us.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Who's running the book? I'll bet London to a brick.
This bet could go so one sided that Matt might take advantage and throw the match, placing the opposite bet.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

This immediately sparked in my remembories... Willie Nelson's guitar

Old 10-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

Jeff Becks Fender Esquire

Stevie Ray Vaughans Custom SRV

Rory Gallaghers Fender Stratocaster

John Rzezniks patched together (once broken) Stratocaster

John Frusciantes Fender Stratocaster

Compared to those, Charlie Watts drums (and other old-school drums) are still in prime-condition. ;-)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I was in a band who opened for a regionally-known band at the time. Between every 2-3 songs, one of the guitar players would go over to the side of the stage and trade out one Les Paul for another Les Paul. He did this for their entire set. He HAD to have at least 4-5 Les Pauls. Even though I'm not a huge gear-head, I could hear NO differences in tone between guitars. It was ridiculous.
It's neither ridiculous nor any great mystery. It's probably tuning. If you have a tech, and the axe you're playing is going out of tune, hand it off and get a freshly-tuned guitar. I don't think that's ridiculous at all.

The guitarists in the band I'm in bring 2-3 guitars to every gig for that exact reason - in case something goes wrong (like breaking a string) and so they can just swap out the axe instead of f*cking around tuning between songs.

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com
Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Gold Member

Yupp, but there is more. The pickups can be different and this will alternate the sound, you could have different strings put on them, which will affect the sound and playability, the wood can be different which will result in a different sound.... and so on. There are many valid reasons for using more than one guitar. Just like using more than one snare and/or more than one cymbal. It's mainly about different sounds. And having a backup, in case anything goes boom.

The guitar player in my band also has three guitars at least at a concert.

I have tried to find famous beat up drumsets, that look as worn as those guitars above. Haven't found any. 8-|
Old 10-25-2017, 11:01 PM

These days, the kids get their instruments "relic'd."

Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Struggling to think of a drummer other than Charlie Watts who keeps with the same kit. Even Ringo moved with the times in the Beatles!
John Bonham used the same green sparkle Ludwig kit in the studio through 1970 to 1979 .
Nowadays ya, not too many.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
It's about time. The shamelessness you've displayed here over the years did not escape us.
I'll keep doing it too! It might be just one set every time though ;)

Regarding the poster who said there should be more videos of people playing their stuff (paraphrased): I've done that. When I go back in time to listen to the older stuff on my YouTube channel, you'll be hard-pressed to hear if any of the drum sets sound different from one another.

Also, the poster who suggested that Charlie Watts' sound hasn't had to change because the Rolling Stones as a band hasn't changed, I'm still wondering about that one. This would seem to suggest that other bands are changing and evolving, and that maybe the job of the drummer is changing as well. But I'm not sure if this is correct.

The drummer still has to lay it down for the band to ride on. He can be as progressive as he wants (think Marco Minnemann in his various progressive projects), but for us mere mortals, the job hasn't changed for us. We still have to lay it down and provide the good groove for the rest of the band and for the audience that will eventually start dancing. I think any drummer who thinks it's any different really needs to re-assess his role in the band.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
True. But I guess my point is he invested in one drum kit 40 years ago, and he's used it to make a sizable profit over the decades doing his one gig. This is why I hang my head in shame.

Yeah but think about it, what if you went to see Charlie and the Stones and he was behind a DW kit with a DW logo head... it wouldn't look right IMO

Again: Charlie's kit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZug4854sI

What would be interesting to know for sure is what parts have been replaced, I wouldn't be surprised if none, and I would't be surprised if it was a few wing screws and a lug nut or two.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 10-26-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Also, the poster who suggested that Charlie Watts' sound hasn't had to change because the Rolling Stones as a band hasn't changed, I'm still wondering about that one. This would seem to suggest that other bands are changing and evolving, and that maybe the job of the drummer is changing as well. But I'm not sure if this is correct.
Well, listen to the first few albums and the last albums of the following bands. A huge change in sound and/or composition which also reflects in the drumming, drum-setup and the drum sound that can be heard.

- Beatles
- The Who
- Pink Floyd
- Supertramp
- Genesis
- Jackson 5
- Rush
- Beach Boys
- Queen
- Deep Purple
- Jethro Tull
- Yes
- The Kinks

... this list could get very long.

Now compare that to the Stones (and other bands that did not walk away from their roots). The Stones success clearly has to do IMO with the fact that they created their own version of "hard-beat", a specific sound and groove and they kept doing it ever since. Their audience wants exactly that sound, not any other. The drumming is a central part of that sound.

Last edited by Wave Deckel; 10-26-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added missing "that" for better understanding
Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
Now compare that to the Stones (and other bands that did not walk away from their roots). The Stones success clearly has to do IMO with the fact that they created their own version of "hard-beat", a specific sound and groove and they kept doing it ever since. Their audience wants exactly that sound, not any other. The drumming is a central part of that sound.
I watched a YouTube documentary on the Stones just recently and I think you're right. It's the sound of the Stones that's important, not so much the songs, I would think. Most of the songs sound alike, but the Rolling Stones have that enviable position of when they're heard, everyone knows it's them. Most bands would kill for that kind of recognition. It's no wonder they always play stadiums, and have the biggest road show ever seen. It's amazing. I wonder if the Beatles would have experienced the same thing had they continue to stay on the road?
Old 10-26-2017, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure the only person who doesn't want to hear this is you Bo!

Most of us are pretty happy with one or two quality sets.

Other than wanting a color change, I've had zero reasons to every buy a 2nd pro level drum kit (beginner kits not withstanding).
Old 10-26-2017, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I'm pretty sure the only person who doesn't want to hear this is you Bo!

Most of us are pretty happy with one or two quality sets.

Other than wanting a color change, I've had zero reasons to every buy a 2nd pro level drum kit (beginner kits not withstanding).
And I admitted to that too. Hence a change in my ways.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

I understand both points of view. I played a Ludwig thermogloss double bass kit for 30+ years after having a couple other sets for a year or two when I was real young. In the last couple years I've wanted to try a lot of different sets because of how many choices there are now. I have 3 now, with 2 set up at any given time. I think I'll stop now because I really like what I have (feel blessed actually) and there's nothing really out there that I'm dying to have. I could live with any one of the 3 as my only kit......but why should I have to? ;)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

One of the points of this thread was that I think I'm swinging back around to having one kit. The fact that Charlie Watts has been using only one kit, and making a hefty profit off of it to boot, just amplifies the fact that I've been off-course a bit.

I remember as a kid (about 13 or so, playing at a school festival), I met an older drummer (a senior in high school) who carted around this old beat-up CB700 kit with Paiste 404 cymbals, and everyone knew back then that CB700's weren't the bees knees, especially when some of us had new Slingerland kits and some of those upstart Tama kits. He told me he paid $250 for what he had, and that after he had done five of these school festivals, it would be paid off. Apparently, he graduated and went on to business school - he had a knack for earning and spending thriftily. He's probably a successful grandfather by now.

Besides, as I get older, I'm saying 'yes' less and less to last-minute rehearsals, or gigs where I have to keep a set in my car or have to have a kit packed up in the garage waiting to go out. I'm playing congas in my current band and they only rehearse once a month with a gig maybe every other week.

Of course, if I lose my career job and have to start hustling gigs, that's another story, but I'm no longer fighting the urge to slow down a bit and just enjoy living, you know?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:48 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Just goes to show "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
This is where Charlie would have been coming from. Also, as a keen jazz fan he'd know of the many old school players using kits, heads and sticks for years.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 AM
Banned

Ultimately, not many of us have been in the same band for over 40 years either. He's obviously found a sound he's happy with when playing with The Stones and sticks with what works.

But if you check out his jazz quartets etc, he's not playing that same kit at all. He tends to favour bop kits in that setting.

I guess when you look at his entire career rather than just the band he's most famous for, Charlie is actually as much 'horses for courses' as the next man.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Ultimately, not many of us have been in the same band for over 40 years either. He's obviously found a sound he's happy with when playing with The Stones and sticks with what works.

But if you check out his jazz quartets etc, he's not playing that same kit at all. He tends to favour bop kits in that setting.

I guess when you look at his entire career rather than just the band he's most famous for, Charlie is actually as much 'horses for courses' as the next man.
Which is cool when you’re worth, what, 170 million? Most all of us semi-Pro “workers” do the same thing while we skimp on housing, food, vehicles, health care.....
Old 10-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

I can remember reading an interview with Charlie a few years ago now, probably in the '90's where he said that his new drum tech had insisted on changing his snare head and when it was removed some confetti from their Hyde Park gig in 1969 fell out from where it had been trapped by the hoop...

Now that's getting your money's worth!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBob View Post
It's neither ridiculous nor any great mystery. It's probably tuning. If you have a tech, and the axe you're playing is going out of tune, hand it off and get a freshly-tuned guitar. I don't think that's ridiculous at all.

The guitarists in the band I'm in bring 2-3 guitars to every gig for that exact reason - in case something goes wrong (like breaking a string) and so they can just swap out the axe instead of f*cking around tuning between songs.

You know, you're probably right. He was playing Les Pauls, so there's a very high likelihood that it was tuning. :)

(For those that don't know and are bored, go Google "Les Paul won't stay in tune." Enjoy!)
Old 10-31-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demford View Post
"Probably" a millionaire several times over? Ya' think?
They say 170 million (Pounds or Dollars?). Not bad for a London lad.

Bass Player Alert!

Last edited by StringNavigator; 10-31-2017 at 09:03 AM.