DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

Default Here's an observation nobody here wants to hear ;)

I came to a realization last night as I was changing my front bass drum head to look like Charlie Watt's kit: Does anyone realize, that he bought that ONE kit, and he's been playing it with the Stones for over 40 years now?

Talk about making a profit off of one tool.

That kit is so famous (like Ringo's) that people make replicas of it. Charlie's story behind the kit was that he bought it in the 70s after using it for a recording session in Los Angeles, and he's been using that one ever since with the Rolling Stones. Yes, he has others, and has been pictured with others, but if you believe his story, he actually bought his favorite set of Gretsch drums, and he's been using them all this time. And they were used to begin with!

(I wonder if Gretsch ever offered him a new version of his beloved kit? He probably turned it down.)

Contrast this with myself (among others here) who at the very least have a revolving door of drum sets coming in and out of the house, seeking out a meager living playing those kits. And here's Charlie, probably a millionaire several times over, making money off of his one kit. Even people who think every few years is a good time to upgrade can't escape the shame of the Rolling Stone using one set for the last 40 years! Buddy Rich couldn't say that I'm sure.

I've been doing it wrong all this time. I hang my head in shame.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Here's an observation nobody here wants to hear ;)

Drums don't matter. Cymbals matter.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

That's normal man. You're supposed to buy one Gretsch set and use it forever.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Old 10-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I came to a realization last night as I was changing my front bass drum head to look like Charlie Watt's kit: Does anyone realize, that he bought that ONE kit, and he's been playing it with the Stones for over 40 years now?

Talk about making a profit off of one tool.

That kit is so famous (like Ringo's) that people make replicas of it. Charlie's story behind the kit was that he bought it in the 70s after using it for a recording session in Los Angeles, and he's been using that one ever since with the Rolling Stones. Yes, he has others, and has been pictured with others, but if you believe his story, he actually bought his favorite set of Gretsch drums, and he's been using them all this time. And they were used to begin with!

(I wonder if Gretsch ever offered him a new version of his beloved kit? He probably turned it down.)

Contrast this with myself (among others here) who at the very least have a revolving door of drum sets coming in and out of the house, seeking out a meager living playing those kits. And here's Charlie, probably a millionaire several times over, making money off of his one kit. Even people who think every few years is a good time to upgrade can't escape the shame of the Rolling Stone using one set for the last 40 years! Buddy Rich couldn't say that I'm sure.

I've been doing it wrong all this time. I hang my head in shame.
"Probably" a millionaire several times over? Ya' think?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Have you had a Gretsch kit, Bo? I don't remember seeing you or reading about you with one yet.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demford View Post
Well, I didn’t read up on exactly how many millions, so I didn’t want to assume anything ;)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Depends on how much he gets for royalties. If Mick and Keef are like Robby Robertson, he could be broke.,
Old 10-24-2017, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Have you had a Gretsch kit, Bo? I don't remember seeing you or reading about you with one yet.
Years ago I did. It was back in the 80s so it was these weird fusion sizes in an orange stain. I didn’t dig it and it went back to Pro Drum. The pull to Ludwig was stronger. Maybe if I had traditional sizes I’d have a different idea on it today.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart1220 View Post
Depends on how much he gets for royalties. If Mick and Keef are like Robby Robertson, he could be broke.,
After watching “Hired Gun”, it wouldn’t be surprising. If your name isn’t on any of the songs, you’re just a sideman, eh?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
About 160 times over.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
About 160 times over.
You’d think he’d have a new kit for every tour ;)

Like all those other "working drummers" out there.

Last edited by Bo Eder; 10-24-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You’d think he’d have a new kit for every tour ;)
Hell mate, he could afford a new kit for every day!!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart1220 View Post

Last time I saw it he was reckoned to be worth something like £175 million GBP, and I don't think he has a particularly rock and roll lifestyle.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Hell mate, he could afford a new kit for every day!!
True. But I guess my point is he invested in one drum kit 40 years ago, and he's used it to make a sizable profit over the decades doing his one gig. This is why I hang my head in shame.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 AM

For me it's very reassuring. I've only ever had one kit and it wasn't even mine, handed down to me by my brother. Had it for over 20 years. It's still in good nick and I have no reason (or space) to get another one). As the years roll on it gets more and more special.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Love the guy. He probably believes, rightly, that its more about the drummer than the drums. He obviously enjoys playing much more than obsessing about the next "Must have" bit of kit.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Years ago I did. It was back in the 80s so it was these weird fusion sizes in an orange stain. I didn’t dig it and it went back to Pro Drum. The pull to Ludwig was stronger. Maybe if I had traditional sizes I’d have a different idea on it today.
Weird fusion sizes? Like how?

I almost had a 3 ply gretsch kit custom built for me through lonestar percussion but I decided to go with a used recording custom instead. Gretsch seemed really easy to custom build with, and the price actually wasn't that bad, if I had the money I'd add a gretsch kit to my arsenal
Old 10-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Reminds me of Brad Gillis from Night Ranger. I think he's been using the same red Fender guitar for years. (I could be wrong... he may have multiples of that red Fender, but i think i remember reading that it's been his main axe for years. )
Old 10-24-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Phil View Post
Reminds me of Brad Gillis from Night Ranger. I think he's been using the same red Fender guitar for years. (I could be wrong... he may have multiples of that red Fender, but i think i remember reading that it's been his main axe for years. )
Brian May (Queen) has played one guitar almost exclusively since 1972. The "Red Special" he and his Father built.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Didn't Max Weinberg use the same kit for years until he got the DW endorsement?Does Jon Fishman still use his Frankenkit?

Struggling to think of a drummer other than Charlie Watts who keeps with the same kit. Even Ringo moved with the times in the Beatles!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

I don't mind hearing it at all! I'd love to have the ability to buy more toys but I have too many other important things in live that require money. I guess I am practical to the point of considering a real value to replacing my drums. I bought my latest drum set in smaller sizes to lessen the weight.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM

Certainly, Watts could afford a new kit every year.

I'm reminded of an old episode of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," way back when they thought that $5 million was a lot of money.

Robin Leach is interviewing some guy who is South American royalty of some kind [I think he was a Prince]. He sits to cross his legs, and you can see this giant hole in the bottom of his shoe. He's got this piece of cardboard in there to make up for it.

Leach notices this and asks him about it. He say something like, "You have a personal net worth of over $17 million dollars, and yet here we are, and you have a hole in your shoe."

The Prince replies, "I did not get rich by going out and buying new shoes all the time."
Old 10-24-2017, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

I never wanted a lot of gear. I've really owned only two drum sets in my lifetime; one I bought with money I saved from my first part-time job back in 1985, and the set I bought six or seven years ago.

I've always had a bit of prejudice against gear-heads, I guess. It seemed like they were more interested in the gear than in practicing. And I felt like they were on an endless quest for the instrument that would play itself to make up for their lack of skills. And I kind of wore that as a chip on my shoulder, so I never bought gear or paid attention to it.

In hindsight, my aversion to these things was a mistake. The truth is that I was ignorant about the instrument itself. I had neglected basic things like learning how to really tune a drum properly. I had a lot of catching up to do when I finally took the plunge again and bought new gear.

Then I joined this forum and realized that gear-heads can be stellar players (like yourself). So, like most prejudices, mine were flimsy and didn't stand up to scrutiny. I've bought a lot of gear since then. Damn, you Drummerworld.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I never wanted a lot of gear. I've really owned only two drum sets in my lifetime; one I bought with money I saved from my first part-time job back in 1985, and the set I bought six or seven years ago.

I've always had a bit of prejudice against gear-heads, I guess. It seemed like they were more interested in the gear than in practicing. And I felt like they were on an endless quest for the instrument that would play itself to make up for their lack of skills. And I kind of wore that as a chip on my shoulder, so I never bought gear or paid attention to it.

In hindsight, my aversion to these things was a mistake. The truth is that I was ignorant about the instrument itself. I had neglected basic things like learning how to really tune a drum properly. I had a lot of catching up to do when I finally took the plunge again and bought new gear.

Then I joined this forum and realized that gear-heads can be stellar players (like yourself). So, like most prejudices, mine were flimsy and didn't stand up to scrutiny. I've bought a lot of gear since then. Damn, you Drummerworld.
I used to be one of those with gear acquisition syndrome, thinking it'd make me play better.

It was like if I just had that extra tom, I will play better.. or that extra cymbal.. I once bought a whole kit to use at a gig just because it had a 16" tom, and I couldn't find a 16" tom to add to my current kit at the time. Ridiculous. Even more ridiculous, I drove 100 miles to pick it up!

I did however sell that kit for £50 more than I bought it for a year later :-) I only used it the once.

However things have changed a lot since then I'm glad to say; I realise it is all about practicing and playing, not gear.

If I was to do it all over again I'd probably just have a nice mid level kit and be done with it. I'll probably always keep my first kit for sentimental reasons... probably.

Cymbals on the other hand... I still have the bug for more cymbals ;-) Not because I think it'll make me play better, but just for some different sounds.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

I've bought lots of bits of hardware over the years, but only ever had four drumkits in thirty years of playing. I sold two of them (which I owned for 10 and 12 years, respectively) to get the third, and I still have that one. I will likely buy another at some point - a nice high-end kit with all the modern fittings - but that will be it. I tend to buy things to last.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

He only plays good enough to have one set.
He's sure got that 'money beat' down though.

Ha ha - just kidding Charlie.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Weird fusion sizes? Like how?

I almost had a 3 ply gretsch kit custom built for me through lonestar percussion but I decided to go with a used recording custom instead. Gretsch seemed really easy to custom build with, and the price actually wasn't that bad, if I had the money I'd add a gretsch kit to my arsenal
It was the mid-80s. If I recall correctly it was a 8/10/12/14FT/20BD all in those newfangled power sizes. The shop was kind enough to let me try them for a week and I took them back after that. I guess I’ve always had an aversion to deep toms and thought I’d like a 16x20 bass drum (it looks like a tube). I used a traditional sized Yamaha Recording Custom after that with a 20” bass drum for the next few years. And Gretsch was never on my radar since then.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Just goes to show "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But at least one source notes he owns a number of kits and collects some older drums: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts...ea7ff1058a0bfd

You have to admire Charlie for having such a remarkable career that has spanned so many decades.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Well, yeah cool for Charlie, but so what?

Bun E. Carlos has several hundred Ludwig kits. (and yes I know selling off his collection).

Does that mean you can't have a successful career drumming if you own several kits? Does it mean that I will if I only ever own one kit.

You're either a collector and have a lot, or you own one kit and that's fine...or somewhere in the middle. I don't understand the relevance.

I happen to love drums. Lots of them. Does that mean I can't play or I'm not cool ?

[14 CREW]
Old 10-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Best news I've heard all day, Bo.

I bought my Y-SC's 10 years ago. If I keep them for 30 more years, and they only work 1/175th as good as Charlie's Gretsch set, I'll be worth $1M or so.

Take THAT 401k!!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

If my first kit would have been actually made of maple and sounded decent, I would have probably followed suit.

I've been playing the same crash cymbal and hi-hats for 22 years now.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post

Bun E. Carlos has several hundred Ludwig kits. (and yes I know selling off his collection).

Does that mean you can't have a successful career drumming if you own several kits? Does it mean that I will if I only ever own one kit.

You're either a collector and have a lot, or you own one kit and that's fine...or somewhere in the middle. I don't understand the relevance.

I happen to love drums. Lots of them. Does that mean I can't play or I'm not cool ?
Did it have to be relevant? The guy made an observation that a rich and very successful rock star, who has been playing forever, uses the same kit he always has. It was surprising, If nothing else. If you didnt think it worth your time then why spend it reading the OP then posting a negative comment?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes. ;)
.................................................. .......................
Old 10-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

You are definitely not cool ;)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
If my first kit would have been actually made of maple and sounded decent, I would have probably followed suit.

I've been playing the same crash cymbal and hi-hats for 22 years now.
Oddly enough, my cymbal set hasn't changed in about 25 years too. But the drums come and go. I think it's time to stop.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

To be honest, everytime I'm tempted by something new or what I think will be better, I've backed off.

So far, nothing compares (at least to my ears and what I think my sound should be) to my Pearl SSC's. It's been a few years and I'm still thinking the same way. I guess that's a good thing. Same goes for my K's

However, everytime a guru kit is in these threads, I drool...
Old 10-24-2017, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Did it have to be relevant? The guy made an observation that a rich and very successful rock star, who has been playing forever, uses the same kit he always has. It was surprising, If nothing else. If you didnt think it worth your time then why spend it reading the OP then posting a negative comment?
Well, OK not trying to post negative stuff but I can see how it might come off that way. Not my intention.
Bo is posting an awful lot of this kind of thing lately...about how he sounds the same on everything and gear doesn't matter and using the same snare drum and etc etc. And yet Bo - you have umpteen sets and go through them like dirty laundry. It's kinda a downer.
Never mind, as you were. Sorry if I offended anybody.

[14 CREW]
Old 10-24-2017, 09:49 PM
Ghostnote

I have 2 kits. A 10,14,20 Yamaha Maple Custom and a 14,18,26 Ludwig Legacy Maple. I played nothing but the Yamaha kit for 20 years and only bought the Ludwig because I wanted to start playing larger sizes. I don't want anymore kits. I'm getting there with snares too. I really only want one more snare drum and I'm going to sell off some that I never play to get it. That will leave me with 5 snare drums. Cymbals however, are another story. Thanks to Paiste, there are still lots more cymbals out there that I would like to have. I would really love to have a full line up of 602 Modern Essentials in large sizes.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

In 2015, I just got my first brand new kit since the late 80's. I'm going to keep it for a long, long time as long as it stays shiny and beautiful. Snare drums are another issue. I want a collection of snare drums and cymbals. Drum sets are a different matter. I can be really content with my drum set and not worry about it at all. Heads are 90% of the sound anyway whether you pay $500 or $5,000 for the drum set. I just want my gigging set to be shiny and beautiful for that professional look.