DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Default Now I really like these drums!

I Watts-a-fied my DW Collector's kit tonight and although this is a very superficial change, I do like the look.

I was born in the 60s and began learning how to play in the early 70s. So naturally, I know why I enjoy a good Ludwig vintage kit so much. It's what everybody played back then and what everyone I knew aspired to play. In a world without internet or even Modern Drummer magazine, you were inspired by the available drum catalogs you could get, and back then, it was the Big Four, and I studied all of them: Ludwig, Slingerland, Gretsch, and Rogers. All of my favorite drummers played one of those brands, and Ludwig produced some of the nicest and biggest catalogs this 7-year-old kid had ever seen.

That sound you heard on all those old rock n roll records, Motown records, jazz records, came from those drums. So it's no wonder I continue to play these old drums, regardless of the new ones I get.

Of course, I do like to stay current and the DW Collector's are my latest attempt, but I always felt there was something too modern about them. The exotic finishes and woods - too much to digest - so I stuck with an old-fashioned sparkle. I couldn't put my finger on it, but discovered those darn black front heads just scream "1980s and younger!". So I'm looking through some old photos and come across the classic Charlie Watts , and thought I'd try the clear front reso head with an oversized hole, and I put the logo sticker in the upper left hand corner. For some reason the kit doesn't seem so new now. What do ya' think?

Maybe I should put some black dots on it and make it more working man rather than display piece.

(sorry there's so many pictures, I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of attachments after you've attached it!)
Attached Images

Last edited by Bo Eder; 10-23-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Now I really like these drums!

More importantly, how does it sound?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
(sorry there's so many pictures, I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of attachments after you've attached it!)

Edit -> Go Advanced -> (scroll down to) Manage Attachments -> (then scroll down to the picture you want) and click Remove.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:37 PM

I thought this was one of those "can you spot the 7 differences?" ad pop-ups :)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
More importantly, how does it sound?
It sounds like a single-headed bass drum but much more flexible with mic placement.