DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:02 PM

Default Recording Studio- Your drums or Their's??

Good morning all,
I did some searching and didn't really see anything that was what I'm looking for.

So my band is going into the studio this Sunday to record a 4 track Demo in a one 10 hour session. So we're not setting up shop for a few days, trying to write or create new things in the studio, and not trying to have a full length CD. Just a demo to get gigs and get the word out.

I'm on the fence about whether to take my drums or not. The engineer has seen a live video of a gig we did, said he loved my drum sound and that the kit they have would be comparable to mine in sound. Same size kick as mine but their toms run 14inch rack, 16 and 18 floor. Mine is 12 rack, 14 and 16 floor. I would bring my pedal, cymbals, snares, throne and hardware as I saw fit. I have my drums set up at the bass players house where we practice, getting them isn't too big of a deal, but just seems easier to use their drums and save some packing up on my end.

I know a lot of drummers say they can't be completely comfortable on any other drums except their own and I understand that. I do prefer my own drums, but in any given week I could be playing on 1 of 4 very different types of drumsets for the various musical settings I play in.

Rock band- my own drums
Church- their drums in a sound proof cage, different sizes, 2 rack toms and suspended floor tom, more cymbals
Jazz Workshop- small bop kit with all rides no crashes, super tuned up, 18-20inch kick.

so playing on different sets with different cymbals and setups seems natural to me.

I've read articles about famous drummers using studio drums or renting pieces or even different drums from different kits and more cymbals to get parts recorded than what they might use on tour.

I guess my question is when you all go into the studio do you HAVE to have your kit or can you use the studios?

Thank You

J
Old 10-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Recording Studio- Your drums or Their's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick10 View Post
Good morning all,
I did some searching and didn't really see anything that was what I'm looking for.

So my band is going into the studio this Sunday to record a 4 track Demo in a one 10 hour session. So we're not setting up shop for a few days, trying to write or create new things in the studio, and not trying to have a full length CD. Just a demo to get gigs and get the word out.

I'm on the fence about whether to take my drums or not. The engineer has seen a live video of a gig we did, said he loved my drum sound and that the kit they have would be comparable to mine in sound. Same size kick as mine but their toms run 14inch rack, 16 and 18 floor. Mine is 12 rack, 14 and 16 floor. I would bring my pedal, cymbals, snares, throne and hardware as I saw fit. I have my drums set up at the bass players house where we practice, getting them isn't too big of a deal, but just seems easier to use their drums and save some packing up on my end.

I know a lot of drummers say they can't be completely comfortable on any other drums except their own and I understand that. I do prefer my own drums, but in any given week I could be playing on 1 of 4 very different types of drumsets for the various musical settings I play in.

Rock band- my own drums
Church- their drums in a sound proof cage, different sizes, 2 rack toms and suspended floor tom, more cymbals
Jazz Workshop- small bop kit with all rides no crashes, super tuned up, 18-20inch kick.

so playing on different sets with different cymbals and setups seems natural to me.

I've read articles about famous drummers using studio drums or renting pieces or even different drums from different kits and more cymbals to get parts recorded than what they might use on tour.

I guess my question is when you all go into the studio do you HAVE to have your kit or can you use the studios?

Thank You

J
Use the studio's kit. It will save you more time than you can imagine. The studio should have it dialed in to sound good. You can tinker a bit with the sound once you start laying tracks down, but you yourself said this is just a basic demo to get gigs so don't spend any unnecessary time trying to make art. Don't worry about not hearing what you think your "signature" drum sound is. Worry about playing well and not wasting time or money on something very, very few people will notice. The only thing I would worry about is the cymbals. Take your own in case what they have are wildly different than your own sound palette. You don't want to be stuck with a 20-inch A Custom ping ride if you normally play a 24-inch Constantinople because that's the sound that complements the music.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Thank You TheElectricCompany for your reply.

I should have said that even though this is a Demo, we want it as tight, clean, and professional sounding as possible. It will be mixed and mastered as well. Otherwise we would have just used my Zoom in the practice room haha.

Def will bring my cymbals. It's a hard rock band and I have certain cymbals that work well for this group.

Luckily I'm use to playing a 24" kick and how high the toms will be compared to a 22"kick. He said the heads were coated emps, so I'm cool with those. I'm not playing anything to fast or technical so moving up in tom sizes shouldn't affect me.

I really strive to be able to play on any drums, cymbals, even sticks and get the job done for what best suits the band or song I may be playing with or sitting it with if it's a Jam session. I try to not be the "I can only play (insert gear) guy".

Plus with the bigger toms it might add to the rock sound we as a band are going for.

I let the engineer know what I like sound wise from my drums and said he can work with that on the kit they have there.

Seems like easy peasy lemon squeezy ( as my daughter would say) haha.

J
Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 PM

Agree,

I had a similar dilemma when I recorded very informally with some friends last year. In the end I took a couple of snare drums and a stand with a double tom holder so I could have an offset set up. I didn't miss my own kit at all as the drums I was hitting the most were still mine.

So if it were me I would just use their kit but maybe take a couple of items of your own to make things more comfortable if need be. Their kit will be dialled in to the room, the engineer will be familiar with it and you can just get on with playing.

Need more practice!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Agree with the above. If this is going to be a quick in-and-out, only bring the pieces that matter. Bring cymbals. If your snare has your signature sound (ie:
Stewart Coppeland), bring it. Bring your BD pedal. Bring your throne. Etc.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

It's a demo and you only have 10 hours. Take your snare, and even cymbals If you love them. They may not get used but they may save "Your" sound in an emergency. Take your BD pedal, that is an element of the kit I simply cant do without as a strange one could waste time dialing in the feel and tension you like. Use the rest studio kit as it will save lots of time.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Right on guys!!! Thank you.

I plan on bringing the following

Cymbals
2 Snares: one metal, one wood.
Snare Stand
Throne
kick pedal
Sticks
Multi-clamp and aux cymbal holder (engineer said they don't have that stuff)
extra cymbal sleeves and felts

Possible Takes:
Hihat stand

That's it.

Yeah I agree with the idea that the engineer will have it dialed in for the room, head said getting it tuned to my drums will be easy, same setup (1 up, 2 down), it's a Yamaha so I know that I might be able to get a better angle set on the rack with the ball and socket vs my pearl unilateral tom arm. they have cymbal stands so good there.

Using theirs saves me from packing up my whole kit Saturday, taking it back to my place from the practice space, unloading it for the night. Starting to get cold at night here in VA, then at 7am sunday loading it all back up to drive to the studio.

If we were camping out for a few days or a week yeah my drums, but one day, naw.

I appreciate you all and this site very much. Sometimes just getting in touch with other drummers and hashing things out is just awesome.

Even though I've been though something, or already know which I'm leaning on a thought or situation an outside perspective can always be helpful!!

Thank you,

J
Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's a hard rock band
Then play the big drums!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Then play the big drums!!!

HAHAHA!!! Drum Thunder!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank You TheElectricCompany for your reply.

I should have said that even though this is a Demo, we want it as tight, clean, and professional sounding as possible. It will be mixed and mastered as well. Otherwise we would have just used my Zoom in the practice room haha.

Def will bring my cymbals. It's a hard rock band and I have certain cymbals that work well for this group.

Luckily I'm use to playing a 24" kick and how high the toms will be compared to a 22"kick. He said the heads were coated emps, so I'm cool with those. I'm not playing anything to fast or technical so moving up in tom sizes shouldn't affect me.

I really strive to be able to play on any drums, cymbals, even sticks and get the job done for what best suits the band or song I may be playing with or sitting it with if it's a Jam session. I try to not be the "I can only play (insert gear) guy".

Plus with the bigger toms it might add to the rock sound we as a band are going for.

I let the engineer know what I like sound wise from my drums and said he can work with that on the kit they have there.

Seems like easy peasy lemon squeezy ( as my daughter would say) haha.

J
So reading this reply, I take it you've asked a question for advice, but don't really want to hear the one that says "use the studio's drums", right?

I say, if you have the money to work with the engineer to get your drums to sound good in a new studio, then by all means, do what you want. My first time in a recording studio, I just played what was there (I brought only sticks) and I noticed the kit, although it sounded bad to me, in the control room they sounded great. The engineer was able to quickly get sounds and we only spent about two hours tracking a 4-minute song. The lesson I walked away with was that my live sound was nowhere near a good "studio" sound, and had I insisted on using my stuff, that would've taken a quite a bit of time to figure what I should've done to the kit before bringing it into a studio.

I'll never be JR Robinson or Harvey Mason so I'll gladly work with the engineer on stuff they have. It's just easier on everybody. Unless of course, I alter my kit beforehand.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 PM

Bo Eder, thank you for the reply.

That wasn't my intent with the reply you had quoted. I wasn't trying to sway replies one way or another. I wanted open honest opinions on what people may have done in the past, what worked, what didn't, etc etc.

The last time I was in the studio we did a full album, was there for 2 weeks. I used my kit for the first week tracking drums and then everyone did their things the second week.

This time it's just a quick in and out. I honestly didn't want to have to pack up all my stuff for a 4 song demo that's being recorded in a 10 hour session. Esp since I would have to get it all packed up from the bass players house the day before, unpack it at my house, then load up again the next day for the studio. I would say my heads are still fresh enough for studio, but have been through a couple gigs and a few practices. And if I really felt strongly that I needed my drums then I would have gone through it all for the studio.

I want this to be a good demo, even thought it's just 4 songs.

plus, I just love talking drums and music and love hearing back from other drummers.

Thank You
Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 PM

I'm going to be recording in a local studio here in a few months. I've been talking to the owner of the place and his setup is a little different. He owns a studio in Nashville and here in my town, and usually whenever he doesn't have an instrument he wants he'll get his session players in the Tennessee studio to fill those parts, and a lot of times that's the drum parts. He just sends the audio over from one studio to the other. So he doesn't have a super nice kit in studio in the place I'll be recording, so he actually asked me to bring mine. If he was to ask me to make a choice though I would be on the fence about it. On one hand, you're only recording a handful of songs and setting up drums, and dialing them in will definitely take a little bit of time. On the other hand, I agree with bo in that you're spending money on this recording and if you feel like you won't be able to get the sound you want from their kit then you have every right to use your own. I'm like you, I'm pretty comfortable on most kits I sit behind, so it's really just up to on if you feel like the kit in studio will be able to express the sound you desire.

Last edited by williamsbclontz; 10-20-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

I agree. Be ready to use your cymbals and snare drum. Like Bo says if the engineer is good, he/she will make the drums sound good.
My advice is bring your drums and everything with you. Just in case. It should not be a big deal; you always have everything packed up and ready to go, right?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:53 PM

What little recording I have done, I used the drums on hand. The thing is, these days, they can do so many things with the sound that for the short time that you have, it would be silly to waste any of it trying to dial in a different kit.

Just my .02. Hope you have a great time.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 PM

HAHA yeah, I pack up and un-pack everything every practice. ha.
no I really don't.

This studio seems to be a pretty good studio, multiple rooms, lots of different styles being recorded there. A few Platinum records and awards hanging on the walls. But the big thing is that the Engineer heard my kit, all be it in a live setting, Loved the way it sounded and said that he could get close and comparable to it. Now that being said, what my kit sounds like live vs studio could be very different. It could not sound great in the studio, you know?

I feel these guys are competent in what they do.

As always I appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions.

J
Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Now that being said, what my kit sounds like live vs studio could be very different. It could not sound great in the studio, you know?
I don't have much experience with mixing recorded drums myself or being behind the glass on the control board, but if you like the sound of your drums and it's a quality kit then they will have the tools and knowledge to be able to get whatever sound you want from it. They might suggest you do small things to it like change out heads or small tweaks, but if you like the way your drums sound live then they can replicate that in the studio probably pretty close.

With that being said, if I were to walk into a studio and saw a vintage Bonham kit or an especially nice kit that really spoke out to me, I'd be begging to play on their equipment. Just because it's not your kit obviously doesn't mean that it's not a great kit.

That's the only bad part about not recording over the course of a few days. If you had the time you could probably use different drums for different tracks
Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 PM
Pioneer Member

The probably already have sound on the studio kit so I'd say go with that.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

Assuming you're not going for a signature sound, here are my thoughts. I'm no studio god, but I've cut tracks, so take this with however many grains of salt you wish.

If the place has a house kit, use that. They know how to get a great sound from it. Also, it's there, meaning you don't have to lug as much. :-)

I bring a well-stocked stick bag, with a variety of different striking implements.

I bring felts, a couple of stands, kick pedal, a hi-hat clutch, and throne. I've never had to use the felts, except once when I needed a cymbal swell; I jammed felts on the fat end of a pair of backup sticks and used them because I had no mallets.

I bring a selection of my cymbals, though usually I don't use them; again, if they know how to get a good sound from what they've got already, why mess with success? But I bring them anyway, in case I need a certain sound the studio's cymbal collection can't provide.

Two snares I adore come along, a 6.5x14 BoB and a 6.5x14 maple, with different heads for each.

That's about it, really.

OH! Headphones! If you have a pair of isolating headphones, like those Vic Firth jobbies, or in-ears - anything to which you're used - bring those. I find using the studio's cans distracting more often than not.

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com
Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 PM

STXBob,
You basically read my mind!!!

Everything you mentioned about bringing was already on my list. I usually have multiple stick options with me at all times. From big tree trunks for rock to my Jazz sticks and everything in between. Brushes, hot rods, mallets, concert sticks, hickory, maple, alloy (ahead) haha

I have in ears in use for church that are coming, extra clutch, delta, sleeves, tape, etc etc

Thank you for the advice.

I feel good about using their gear and mine as needed. They should have their drums dialed for the room and then it's a matter of mixing the right cymbals. I will bring options.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

J
Old 10-20-2017, 11:09 PM

Whos paying the bill? If your band is paying for the studio time for 3 hours to record a demo, use their kit so you dont pay to take 15 or 20 minutes to haul in and set up.
Adjust the kit as needed but be quick, time is money. If i had a record label behind me and a studio for time needed to record a whole album, then yes my own stuff! last session i did was the studio kit, a tama rockstar with a crappy (imo) snare....tech already had it dialed in and it sounded amazing.
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 10-21-2017, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thank You

J
Every time I've walked into a studio I'm about to play in, the drums are not set up, so there goes any time I would have saved.

I've also never been fortunate enough to see an awesome drum set, all perfectly maintained with perfect heads in a studio. I'm sure there are a lot of places that take their drums seriously, but I wouldn't count on it from the get-go.
It might even take you longer to set up because you're unfamiliar with the drums and there might be setup issues you didn't know about.

No, I wouldn't HAVE to use my own drums, but I would probably bring them because I have less faith in other people than myself when it comes to drums, even if it's the "specialist" recording engineer who "knows" how to get a great sound on the house kit.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 AM
Silver Member

Use their drums.
1. Less hassle. You won't have to worry about tearing down, loading out, loading in, setting up, tearing down, loading out, loading in and setting back up!

2. The engineer is familiar with the drums and can get a good sound out of them if he's used them numerous times he knows how to mic them to get the sound that he/you want.

3. In a perfect world, you'll get there and the drums will already be set up with mics ready to go, you won't spend two-three hours checking everything which will give you and your band 2 - 3 more hours of time to get your music down without feeling rushed.

The last time my band recorded I used the studio's drums. I talked with the engineer and bought new heads for the kit and dropped them off a week before we recorded, when I got there he had put the new heads on and had the drums tuned and all the mics were set up. It was the best recording experience I've ever had! Every time before that I've gotten to the studio 2 hours before the rest of the band and spent two hours checking everything, by the time the rest of the band shows up I'm already irritated!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

It depends on the session I'm doing.

Of course if given the option I almost always bring my own kit. I have a late 80's Recording Custom in immaculate shape that I only bring out for studio work.

I've done some sessions that are quick throw-and-go projects, or even just coming in to track 1 song. In cases like that, if the studio has a kit that can be set up and miced before I arrive, I'll sometimes use it.
Cymbals and snares are almost always all my own, but I will dig through the studios collection and see if something strikes my fancy for a particular sound.

On occasion I'll get asked to come and track a handful of songs on an album where the band intends to use multiple musicians. So out of 10 songs, I may only record 2-4 of the songs. Typically when that happens they will have 1 kit set up that everyone will use when recording to keep the sound more consistent. I will however till use my own snare, pedals, and choose my own cymbal setups to give it a personal touch.
YouTube
Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

4 tracks in 10 hours - Use their kit but to be on the safe side give them a call and have a chat. The engineer will thank you for it. The less variables you have to deal with the more you get done in a day.

Enjoy the sesh!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:38 PM

Hey all,

Just a quick update. I ended up using the studios drums and hardware minus my pedal, throne, snare stand, hihat stand, one cymbal stand, my snare and cymbals.

It came out great!!! was wasy easier using their drums for a 10hour 4 track session. The engineer and I had talked a couple of times prior to the session and I trusted he could get the sound of my drums from the video I sent him with their drums and he did!! I was happy about that.

The one thing, was they had their kick head a little tighter than I have mine and so after a little adjustment on the head, my pedal and a bit on my playing I wasn't having any troubles with it.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your insights, advice, and support. It's great having this site for all things drum and music and that we can support and lift each other up instead of making it a competition since we already have enough competition with the guitarist and vocalist hahahaha!!! Bass players are usually on our side. haha

but seriously

Thank You,

Jimmy