DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:44 PM

Default Unique Elvin Jones CD

I just got a copy of the album Bill's Waltz by Gene Perla, which features Elvin Jones. Perla had played for a few years with Elvin's band in the early 70's, and in the mid-80's he got the idea of recording Elvin's drums and orchestrating parts to it afterwards. The recording of Elvin's drum tracks was done in 1986, but the tapes sat on the shelf for a couple of decades before Perla got around to doing anything with them. Eventually in 2007 he teamed up with the NDR Big Band from Hamburg, Germany, who overdubbed their recording of Perla's arrangements over Elvin's drums (Perla also overdubbed his bass playing on the tracks, and there are two tracks that Don Alias overdubbed parts for back in the 80's). The result is a wonderful album, and since I'm not sure how many people have heard of it, but might dig it, I thought I'd give a plug for it on here.

Here's a link to an article by Perla on the making of the album: http://www.billswaltz.com/MakingOf.shtml
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Unique Elvin Jones CD

Thank you for posting this! Will check it out for sure.

Elvin Jones is one of the drummers who has influenced me and continues to influence me the most. What a true gift to the instrument.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Unique Elvin Jones CD

That's interesting, thanks for posting!