DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Default Help me choose a drum set to record with

Iíll be doing some recording in December and unusually (for me) we may have a *little* extra time to experiment with drums. By that I mean a bit of song-to-song changeout of kits or kick or snare. Weíre doing this in a nice studio with a huge drum room, as well as other rooms to record drums in. Thereís been talk of setting up two full kits actually. The music is being written currently and is morphing but so far is pretty up-tempo, sometimes almost dancey, but with an angular and edgy thing going on. Thatís the best I can describe it I guess.

So, I own 3 kits:

1971 Ludwig 3-ply 12-13-16-22
1983 Gretsch 12-13-16 with 20, 22, 24 kick options
2017 Yamaha Live Custom 12-16-22

Iíve ruled out bringing all 3. They donít all fit in my Element for one thing, and i know we donít have time for that many options. Honestly right now Iím enjoying the Live Customs more than anything, but Iíve never recorded with those. The Ludwigs and Gretsches have recorded well for me in the past.

Iíd take any thoughts on this or anything related to a recording situation like this (Iím trying to figure out heads for the two kits Iíll bring in for example). I know this is subjective and part of the art of it all is decisions like this. But I like talking stuff through...
Old 10-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Help me choose a drum set to record with

I own/owned all three makes and I'd go Ludwig snare, Gretsch kick and Gretsch/Yamaha toms. That's just me, though. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Are the Gretsch toms mounted on the bass drum? If so, I'd say Gretsch because of the tom holder, you can swap out the kicks easily....and as you said they proved well from previous recordings.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

"pretty up-tempo, sometimes almost dancey, but with an angular and edgy" Doesn't tell me anything.
What style of music is it? Rock, Funk, Blues, Jazz, R&B??

That will make the biggest difference in what type of kit to use.
YouTube
Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
"pretty up-tempo, sometimes almost dancey, but with an angular and edgy" Doesn't tell me anything.
What style of music is it? Rock, Funk, Blues, Jazz, R&B??

That will make the biggest difference in what type of kit to use.
Good point-- it's closest to just rock. So up-tempo, dancey, angular, edgy rock.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyfatty76 View Post
Are the Gretsch toms mounted on the bass drum? If so, I'd say Gretsch because of the tom holder, you can swap out the kicks easily....and as you said they proved well from previous recordings.
Yeah a nice thing about all 3 kicks is they all have the same Techware mounts on them. So good point on that, that switching bass drums would be easy.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 PM
JohnoWorld

Considering they are all similar sizes, I'm not sure how much different they will be.

I would go for Gretsch 22" kick and Yamaha toms. The Yamaha being the newest will probably fit the style of music, but then, how much will you use the toms?

I always think about this since I bought my own home studio. These days, I realise that lots of toms is pretty stupid and the more toms you use unnecessarily, the more challenges you'll have with production.

So see where you can remove toms fills from your parts, then your choice will mostly be which kick drum / snare you prefer.

I recorded lots with my Sonor prolite. I now record with a mapex m birch which works much better, despite being 1/4 of the price. And I prefer it