DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Default How to prepare a drum clinic/workshop

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has asked me if I would be interested in doing a drum clinic or workshop for a bunch of teenagers he works with. I love the idea and having been to a number of clinics I know how motivating they can be. My question is though to those who have done them before. Do you have any tips or rules as to what to do or what not to do. At the moment I am struggling to come up with a main theme as I think I would need one otherwise its a mess and could go on for a week.

Also to keep in mind they will be teenagers and he is like a councillor for them as they are kids who have had a bad upbringing. This being said they probably think they know it all and of course like most of us did at that age, have an attitude. I am lucky that my friend is also a great bassist so ending the workshop I can also demonstrate the connection needed for the drummer and bassist and so on.

In closing I just wanted to ask for some tips or hints with experience or what you think is a good idea and also what is not a good idea. Thanks a lot!

Callum

So in closing
Old 10-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How to prepare a drum clinic/workshop

Something I've thought of doing in a similar setting is to split the kit between 3 people. Give one the bass drum, one the snare, one the high hat, and then have them play a rock beat between them while you count it out.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. That is a good idea but I think that would be better for beginners. These teens have been playing for years however and I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

They may have an attitude, or they may be excited to have a real adult professional working with them and showing them some stuff.

What do you know, and are able to teach? I'd be looking at that. Pick a topic and walk them through it. It doesn't have to be life-changing, it should just be something they should all know, that you are capable of teaching them. There seem to be a ton of drummers out there who don't know how to read music-- you could teach them that.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Keep it simple. they may bore easily. pick one or two things and allow for plenty of questions.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

When I change jobs one of the ways I get everybody going, get some holes filled and get students to understand why they should practice certain things triming off some of my weekly duties in favour of a weekend seminar or two.

These can be about anything and though I many lecture a bit there are always activities.

If it was for drums and lasted for a few hours, it could be about several things like.

Reading in various ways, clapping singing etc...
Doing indepence and rhythms while in a cricle.
Technique stuff.
Drum ensemble.
Talk about style.
Setup, tuning, general concepts.
How to practice.

Open for questions and fill in after each thing.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to do tons of stuff. Pick something and do it well. Save stuff for next time when you also will have more experience, know the crowd better............
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Whatever you do, you have to keep them engaged. If you're going to do some drumming, it had better be great. If you're going to talk about the business of being a musician, keep the topics interesting and relevant.

You also have to be personally relevant to them. I assume you're somewhat close to their age, if you're under 30 that's a plus. You won't seem old and out-of-touch to them. Talk about your teenage experiences learning and playing with other musicians.

In general, keep the presentation concise, and try not to exceed an hour. That's about as long as most teens will sit still, especially if they're still in school where their day is split into one hour increments.

Most importantly, educate them. Bring something to them that will motivate them. Where possible, involve them. Have a 2nd snare and invite them to work on rudiments with you (assuming your rudiments are good!)

Good luck, have fun!

Bermuda