DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 01-28-2018, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Music You Just Don't Get

I avoided pop music for a while because the last time I tried to get into it, I thought it was dumb. And now the break is even wider.

A few times in the past months I've had to take an Uber, and each time I've had to sit through "I'm in love with your body" and similar garbage.

But the real shock for me was when I tried to pick up hip-hop again. I loved hip-hop in the 80s and the underground kept it going for the 90s and the beginning of the 2000s (Anti-Pop, MF DOOM, Aesop, CoFlow, Madlib).

So I asked around what is good, alternative hip-hop today. And some jerk hooked me up with .... Earl Sweatshirt. Mumbling pointless nonsense.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
I avoided pop music for a while because the last time I tried to get into it, I thought it was dumb. And now the break is even wider.

A few times in the past months I've had to take an Uber, and each time I've had to sit through "I'm in love with your body" and similar garbage.

But the real shock for me was when I tried to pick up hip-hop again. I loved hip-hop in the 80s and the underground kept it going for the 90s and the beginning of the 2000s (Anti-Pop, MF DOOM, Aesop, CoFlow, Madlib).

So I asked around what is good, alternative hip-hop today. And some jerk hooked me up with .... Earl Sweatshirt. Mumbling pointless nonsense.
I couldn't agree more. My brother is into pop music, and is always ecstatic when the Grammys come on, but I couldn't care less. I cannot listen to love songs without becoming cynical because I often find the lyrics to be stupid, and I start thinking "oh, if I had someone special in my life, I could write something so much better than these people who call themselves songwriters."
Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

A good starter Zappa album, of sorts, may be that compilation album that Jon Fishman put together of Zappa tunes that really inspired him. Its got great liner notes/comments from Jon and the tunes are a blast and easy to get into...I think anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Zappa-Picks-J.../dp/B00006K07W

Not pushing Amazon or anything just wanted to have a link so one could see what I was referring to.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Most 90's era music.

There, I said it.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 PM

Dream Theater, I mean I can appreciate the musicianship and all but the actual songs themselves just do nothing to move the soul IMO and the vocals are absolutely horrendous.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:22 PM

Even though I'm 666% metal head, I don't get the guttural death metal. Blast beats for 4:00 straight while the "vocalist" mumbles something that sounds like a Klingon with Laryngitis just escapes me.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:12 PM

I listen to Aphex Twin's weirder songs and stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFD7wFgurLE, so no, not anymore.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
I don't get the Mongolian throat singing that a lot of newer metal bands do.

Great chops ,but absolutely ruined by some guttural sounds that remind me of a toilet bowel hangover echo.
Funny, I was going to post the same thing. I think we're both talking about the "death growl" thing. So many prog metal bands sound so cool with the instrumentals, then the vocals come and it just shuts it down for me. Cynic is an example. So cool, then weird ass vocals. At the other extreme is Dream Theater with great instrumentals, then overly melodic vocals that sound so weird for the music. At least there's Liquid Tension Experiment and Gordian Knot, which are similar to these but with no vocals at all.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Music I don't "get": Jojo Mayer and Nerve. So impressive technically, but I'm not feeling the "music" in it. Almost like machine noise or something. I keep going back to it, hoping it'll click.