DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 AM

Default Guess what I left at home?!

I've been a gigging weekend bar drummer since 1980 when I still at school - but this was a first...

Last Saturday night I checked all the drums, got my stage wear together, and got all my bits and pieces sorted for a gig the following afternoon. I like to be prepared.

It was only at the bar venue, and after I'd assembled my drum kit, and attached the stick holder to my hi-hat stand that I realised an absolutely vital component was missing.

Still hanging on a door handle inside my house miles away was my stick bag containing all my sticks.

Panic stations. There followed several frantic phone calls with the gig only 45 minutes to one hour away. I would not be able to get home and back in time.

A horrible image of me doing two 45-minute sets bare-hand Bonham-style honestly crossed my mind.

In the event, and after much sweating and cursing from myself, the sticks finally arrived just in time, transported by my unamused girlfriend who had to race across with them.

To compound my humiliation, with my band mates taking the p#ss all afternoon, I had to soundcheck with two improvised 6-inch 'sticks' made from a wooden coat-hanger. It did not look, feel or sound good.

And so, yes, hands up to gross stupidity on the day - and a major lesson learned. Sticks will go first into the case next and every weekend!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Guess what I left at home?!

Were they Vic Firth coat hangers? They're the best ones, perfectly matched and balanced.

Yeah that sucks man, my sympathies.
If that ever happened to me, I'd go to my car as I always keep an old pair in there that I practise with when driving. Well, just at traffic lights :D
Old 09-20-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Were they Vic Firth coat hangers? They're the best ones, perfectly matched and balanced.

If that ever happened to me, I'd go to my car as I always keep an old pair in there that I practise with when driving. Well, just at traffic lights :D
Ha Ha! Glad I'm not the only one with a dashboard set!!!!
I keep a spare set with my pedals too, just in case I forget!!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 AM
Ghostnote

A bandmate of mine left his guitar at the bar after a gig one time. I was driving from Edmonton to Vancouver 2 days later, so I had to re-route my trip to stop into Calgary where we played the gig to pick it up. Luckily the people who were closing up the bar were honest folks and kept his guitar locked away until I showed up.

Last edited by Ghostnote; 09-20-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:43 AM

Many many years ago, I was invited to a house party. No body told me that I was suppose to play drums there so I didn't bring anything. There was a beat up drum kit and no sticks. The owner of the house gave me an axe and said "go make your self". It was hilarious and it matched the whole punk vibe going on at the time.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:53 AM

I have two complete drum kits. I leave an extra pair of new sticks in each trap case just for this reason. The sticks never leave the case (hopefully!). I figured this was a good idea since the stick bag travels with me separate at times from each kit.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Sticks? Thats level 1. A major minor.

Prob the easiest thing to get in the wild is sticks.

I thought all working drummers had extra sticks in their vehicle??? Like a moldy old used pair, of the weight you don't use anymore, but they'll still save ya.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Hey Supermac, I did the same thing once. We were booked for a high end reception and half an hour before we were to start during set up, no sticks. Our base player called a friend of his to pick them up and bring out. Well you know what happens, I played the first set with my hands and fingers. Drums were not miked and after that I never forgot sticks or anything else to date. Oh, if you don't hit the drum right, your finger or fingers smart like all get out.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 AM
Gold Member

I keep a pair of sticks in the pouch of my hardware bag for this exact situation. I never use them, but I know they're there.

However, I once left the floortom legs at home. Another time I left my cymbal case at home, for a country gig 1 1/2 hours from home. Luckily the trumpet player was still in town, and dropped by my house and picked them up for me.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member

I left my snare drum at home one time. Luckily, there was a Sam Ash nearby. That's how I acquired a Ddrum snare drum.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post

wouldn't blame ya for practicing while driving - I've seen people switching lanes on the freeway while messing around with drumsticks

altho that's bad :/
Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

When I played guitar, I always had a pair of 5A's in my gig bag. It wasn't because drummers forgot their sticks, but they'd break one and realize that they forgot their spares... Or they'd break their spare(s).

On the flip side, drummers should toss a decent 1/4" cable and some picks in their gig bag.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
On the flip side, drummers should toss a decent 1/4" cable and some picks in their gig bag.
There's some truth in that! I've had guitarists lose picks or have cables go bad far more often than I've forgotten sticks.

I did, however, forget my throne one time. I jury-rigged a kiddie stool with pillows, but it was NOT a comfortable gig.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:32 AM

I did a gig this summer (supplying the kit) where the drummer for the other band (who were actually headlining) showed up with nothing more than a bag of cheap cymbals. After seeing my cymbals, he asked me if he could use them. He then told me casually in passing that he didn't have any sticks and asked if he could borrow a pair. He didn't seem to find anything strange about that!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

I tend to do the opposite and leave things at venues / rehearsal studios.

A few years ago I left a nice Iron Cobra kick pedal once at a venue, never to be seen again.

I left an 8" Sabian splash cymbal at a venue over 100 miles up north, never to be seen again (not the cheap one).

At one of our local rehearsal studios very recently, this happened : -

1) Monday, audition: I was in such a flap while waiting for my slot (heart racing, could hear how great the band sounded I was going to audition for), I left my wallet, keys and phone in reception. I got into a flap looking for my keys.. eventually found them, but still managed to leave my wallet.

2) Next day (Tuesday), band practise: Loren, the girl who works there presented me with my wallet as I walked in. I'd been looking for it most of the day at home.

3) Next day (Wednesday), band practise: Loren gives me a look: you left your cymbal stand and Octapad stand in the practise room yesterday.

** Gig **

4) Following Wednesday band practise: Loren laughs at me on my way in: "Here is your Paiste Signature 18" Crash you left here last week" (I had no idea I'd left it).

It's a combination of age and stress I think!

How the hell I left a cymbal there I have no idea!!

PS: I didn't get the gig from the Monday audition, but it was close. I half felt like they were going to offer it to me on the spot, I got the impression the singer and bass player liked me and said "do you think you could put up with us", but someone piped up and said lets go and think about it...

Shame, would have been my first "professional" band (as in regular paid functions), they were very good.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Gold Member

I keep a pair of sticks in the cymbal bag along with other emergency stuff i.e snare ribbon, felts, clutch.

Floor tom legs are my speciality I have 3 kits with 3 different types of floor tom legs. Had to put the floor tom on a beer crate one night d'oh. They're the first thing that goes in the car nowadays.

All fun and games of gigging!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
I did a gig this summer (supplying the kit) where the drummer for the other band (who were actually headlining) showed up with nothing more than a bag of cheap cymbals. After seeing my cymbals, he asked me if he could use them. He then told me casually in passing that he didn't have any sticks and asked if he could borrow a pair. He didn't seem to find anything strange about that!
My response to both questions would have involved sex and travelling aka f off!

Sounds like you were dealing with a pro there! I have the feeling he just didn't have any sticks and was taking you for a ride.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:12 PM

What I did once :
arrived at the gig, with all my drum bags, and open the snare bag and... the wrong snare, the one I was working on, and which didn't have snare wires yet...
ouch !

I played the gig with a very old french snare drum (tambour) that the bassist had in his basement (he lived much closer to the gig place than me).

This "incident" made me think about having different bag colour for the metal snare drum and the maple snare so that I would know which one is in the bag !!!!

PS : do you take spare equipment when you gig ?
Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

On a slightly unrelated note: I once turned up for a violin lesson.. opened my violin case, and there was no violin.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
When I played guitar, I always had a pair of 5A's in my gig bag. It wasn't because drummers forgot their sticks, but they'd break one and realize that they forgot their spares... Or they'd break their spare(s).

Wow. You're a rare breed. Thank you on behalf of drummers worldwide for the consideration. I do keep guitar player stuff, cords, picks, xlr cables and a mic with me. It's appreciated. I gig with my work van and I carry a lot of stuff with me wherever I go. A fully stocked electricians van is a good thing to have at a gig :)

I keep sticks in my hardware bag, my van, my wife's car, my garage, and of course my stickbag. I have a set of sticks duct taped to my back at all times :)

Same with spare keys. I have them hidden everywhere, with redundant backups. Getting locked out is so avoidable.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:04 PM

I think most gigging drummers have done similar.

We played a jazz gig at an art gallery and I forgot my sticks. This may sound too obvious to be true but, yes... I located some paint brushes, roughly the same size and got through the evening. That was about 15 years ago... still have the brushes!

I played a gig in Detroit on a pizza box, once. The kit I normally used while in Detroit was stolen the night before the gig and my buddy didn't think to tell me. Luckily it was a quiet gig. I had my stick bag, located a 16" pizza box, played with brushes and threw a mic on it. I got the idea from a Steve Gadd video where he plays to the interviewer on a binder.... thanks Steve!
Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 PM

Man, I've only ever forgotten earplugs.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:29 PM

Yep, as a gigging guitarist there is always a bag under the car seat with spare cord, picks, a One Spot DC power supply, and of course the most commonly forgotten item, spare strap.

90% of the time used by another band mate. I guess I'll throw in some sticks as well. You've never seen such relief as when you tell the panic stricken bandmate you have a spare in the car.

Another good one to have is spare detachable power cord, lots of things using them, and often forgotten.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
and of course the most commonly forgotten item, spare strap.
There were probably a dozen times where I had to quickly fashion a strap out of gaffer's tape. Works well, but it's really only good for one gig.