DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 AM

Default Mapex Shallow Sizes BP versus Saturn

Hi all,

New to the forum just wanted to ask those who have shallower toms such as 10 x 7 and 12 x 8 how they sound? I have always had deeper toms and currently looking at either a BP Blaster or Saturn V. The Saturn has the shallower toms including 14 x 12 and 16 x 14 floors so if I were to pay the extra to get the deeper sizes in the Saturn I'm only a few more hundred away or thereabouts to get the BP Blaster kit.

Cheers
Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Mapex Shallow Sizes BP versus Saturn

Hi Rimshot78.

I've got a Saturn V with the 10 x 7 and 12 x 8 toms.
My last kit also had a 12 x 8 and I've found both of them very easy to tune. When I got the Saturn and tuned it up straight from the box even my Son who has no interest in these things said "that's the best drum of the lot!". And it continues to be incredibly easy to get a rounded, resonant, tuneful sound from. The 10 x 8 'sounds' a little but choked the way I tune it (higher than the 12" obviously), however once I play it properly (hitting it harder and rolling on it) it sounds great. And in fairness I use Aquarian Studio Rings on the stock Emperor heads as I tend to be close mic'd a lot of the time.
All drums are horses for courses but I've never sat for hours on end trying to get a good sound from them or had anyone say there's something wrong with them.
My floor tom is the 14 x 14 so I can't offer anything there I'm afraid.
If it was me (& am I right in thinking that there's a shallow tom Saturn option, then a more expensive deeper tom option, then a more expensive Black Panther option) I would go with the shallow tom Saturn option because it's easy to tune and has more finish options which I prefer to the Black Panther finishes, but obviously finish is very subjective.
Finishing on a positive note, it's a wonderful conundrum to have.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

My travel set is a Ludwig maple Centennial with 12x8 rack tom and a 16x14 floor. I think they sound awesome.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

I have a Saturn V with the shallower toms and it blows away my Tama maple kit with deeper toms. I practice with the Tama and after every show my guitarist tells me how much more he likes the Mapex, so that is something. I am not a real brand loyal kind of guy, but I really do recommend the Saturn's for drummers on a budget.

Cant help with the Black Panther, haven't heard or played one, but I am sure that the Saturn will do whatever you need it to do.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:16 PM

The room, the heads and how you play your drums will make waaaaaay more of a difference than 1" of drum depth.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 AM

Thanks guys really appreciate the feedback, and yeah as mentioned things like how they are tuned and the room you're playing in all have an impact in some way. I guess it is the fear of the unknown and our reluctance at times to wander from what we've grown accustomed to.
I have a few different types of kits over the years but because none have had shallow toms.
I'm naturally a hard hitter and it's possibly a false perception I am giving myself that the shallower toms would just bounce around all over the place. That and the fact that my eyes are tricked into thinking 1" less in depth looks like more than double that as if its some kind of optical illusion.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:10 AM

I wouldn't worry, they are slightly shallower than some, but they're a long way off being "short stack" toms......not that I know how different they would sound!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

I love shorter floor toms. Square floor toms suck. The rack tom at 12x8 is a traditional size and sounds great. A 10x7 may sound short, but its also a great size. If I had the choice of slightly longer rack toms with traditional square floor toms, vs traditional sized rack toms with shorter floor toms, I would take the latter every time.

SOLD: PDP Concept Maple 12/16/24