DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Default I am about to buy an electronic drum kit. Which should I go for?

I am about to buy an electronic drum kit. Which should I go for? The yamaha dtx522k vs dtx532k vs the roland td-11k.

All of them are in the same price bracket more or less.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I am about to buy an electronic drum kit. Which should I go for?

I own a DTX 532, and have had it for almost 3 years.

The good....
Good practice kit for coordination and patterns. Works well with Garageband. Module has some interesting world/percussion sounds. Real HHat stand, a non-hard-rubber-snare.

The bad...

The toms are hard rubber pads. you will come to hate all hard rubber pads regardless of the mfr. Yeah, you can upgrade, but you probably wont.

While the "realistic" hhat does a good job fooling your left foot, there is a distinct difference between the DTX and a real HHat... Namely, the hat needs to be unconditionally open "before" the stick hits it. Not at the same time, not on-its-way to being open. I find I have to be hyper vigilant about my getting my lifts in advance. I'd say that its better than a piano bar if you primarily play an a-kit , and worse than a piano bar if you exclusively play an e-kit.

So if you're looking for a midi kit for studio, or a practice kit to do hand-patterns over foot ostinati on, yeah, it will do well. If you're looking for something to practice your double stroke roll and other rudiments on, it's not going to be for you.

Shameless plug: If you live in upstate NY, I'm selling mine for ~700.

Last edited by KamaK; 09-12-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
If you're looking for something to practice your double stroke roll and other rudiments on, it's not going to be for you.

But the double stroke roll is going to be on the snare right. It's good enough?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Don't do it. It's a trap!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM
JohnoWorld

Buy a 2nd hand roland TD something

Here in the UK, there are tons of good examples on ebay of people having bought a really expensive kit thinking they could play at home and then realised they couldn't be bothered to learn.

Pick up a bargain and don't waste good money on summat brand-new.

I have a roland td3 brain with a few pads/v drum and a hi-hat and kick controller. Also 1 e cymbal.

I just use it when I want to play and it's late or early. Electric kits feel so different
Old 09-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

You mention 3 kits, but not what's important to you.

It's possible to put together your own thing without going too overboard, but simplicity and portability might suffer.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

What JohnoWorld said. And go for mesh heads, not rubber.

I picked up a perfect condition hardly used second hand Roland TD9 last year with all mesh heads. I got lucky because the seller had upgraded to a larger 12" snare pad, a better hi-hat pad that actually moves up and down, and he threw in a Mapex hi-hat stand to use the upgraded pad with. All for £700 which is probably about $900. Cheap for what I got, so there's always good deals around.

But you don't need those extras and don't need to spend even that much. The main thing is mesh heads. Also, the TD9 brain is very good with 50 built in kits and 50 built in songs. I think the TD11k has less of one or the other.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I went to the store that sells yamaha and tried the dtx pads.they felf very good for me. Then I went to another store that sells roland and tried the roland. To be honest I liked the feel of the yamaha more. What's going on here? Where I live there are no one selling used e drums. The prices are as follows. The dtx522k is 1,000 euros, The dtx532k is 1,150 euros with the real hi-hat stand. The roland td-11k is 1,000 euros and the rtd-11kv is 1,400 euros. I would love to buy all mesh or silicone pads but I don't want to spend that much. Also for all of the kits I need to buy a kick pedal, throne and sticks, so it's around 150 euros more. What would you do if I were you?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:49 PM

I like mesh heads and multi-zone cymbals. Can you choke the cymbal? Cymbals are the weak point of any electronic kit.

Sound quality and the ability to expand are also important.

Going cheap may result in regret.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
I like mesh heads and multi-zone cymbals. Can you choke the cymbal? Cymbals are the weak point of any electronic kit.

Sound quality and the ability to expand are also important.

Going cheap may result in regret.
I don't call spending 1000 euros going cheap.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterlancer View Post
But the double stroke roll is going to be on the snare right. It's good enough?
Rolls on ekits are simulated (as are cymbal swells). What you hear is not an accurate representation of what your hands are doing.

This works fine if you already know how to play/use a double stroke roll. This works horribly if you don't and are trying to learn double stroke rolls, because it makes you sound much better than you actually are.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I don't call spending 1000 euros going cheap.
The amount of money is definitely a concern, and whether or not that is "cheap" is relative. The e-kit I'm considering, Roland TD-K50 V-Drums, would roughly be 6270 Euros. That wasn't really where I intended this to go with this.

By "cheap," I mean quality of build and features. If it can fulfill requirements, then that is what ultimately matters.

A band I record with bought a Yamaha e-kit for about 836 Euros. I can't remember if the cymbals were dual-zone or not. I do remember that they sounded like crap, and that this did not matter, for they like to record with actual cymbals.

It fit what they need.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Rolls on ekits are simulated (as are cymbal swells). What you hear is not an accurate representation of what your hands are doing.

This works fine if you already know how to play/use a double stroke roll. This works horribly if you don't and are trying to learn double stroke rolls, because it makes you sound much better than you actually are.
Ok I understand what you're saying. You're right. I'm a beginner and need to learn correctly. So do you recommend the roland instead of yamaha?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The amount of money is definitely a concern, and whether or not that is "cheap" is relative. The e-kit I'm considering, Roland TD-K50 V-Drums, would roughly be 6270 Euros. That wasn't really where I intended this to go with this.

By "cheap," I mean quality of build and features. If it can fulfill requirements, then that is what ultimately matters.

A band I record with bought a Yamaha e-kit for about 836 Euros. I can't remember if the cymbals were dual-zone or not. I do remember that they sounded like crap, and that this did not matter, for they like to record with actual cymbals.

It fit what they need.
Just to let you know. All of the kits I mentions have dual or triple zones cymbals.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 PM

The thing is from what I am seeing and reading on the internet that even in the 1,000 euro price bracket they have their flaws. I just don't get it how you spend this kind of money on an electronic kit and doesn't make them work correctly. For some 1,000 euros it's nothing but for me it is.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Just to let you know. All of the kits I mentions have dual or triple zones cymbals.
So long as it has the features that you need, that's the important thing.

I probably wasn't expressing myself well enough. Sometimes people will buy something because it is cheap, and then later discover that it might not do what they want. That can amount to regret, on top of being stuck with something that has little resale value.

At one point, when finances were tight, I decided to build a "kit" of my own. I got a used Roland SPD-30, which had trigger problems, and re-did the triggers. Got a used hi-hat controller, and other used pads, cymbal, and midiKAT bass drum trigger. Found a used stand, some used dog bones and other mounts, and built myself a Frankstein of sorts.

It wasn't really anything fancy, but it did what I wanted.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I am about to buy an electronic drum kit. Which should I go for? The yamaha dtx522k vs dtx532k vs the roland td-11k.

All of them are in the same price bracket more or less.

Thanks
I purchased a used Roland TD-11KV in great condition for US $1100. I love this kit. I'm still tinkering with and discovering all the settings on the preloaded kits. There's a lot this ekit can do. All mesh heads drums w/ multi-zone drums for cross-sticking/rim shots and multi-zone, mutable cymbals.

I'm very happy with my purchase.

Electronic: Roland TD-11 KV
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

As I mentioned on the other site... think about a used TD-15.

It has provided me everything I need to get re-started learning the kit. I loved the mesh heads. Hated the rubber/silicon heads. One drawback on the Roland is the small mesh heads. So I viewed this issue as more of a challenge to hit more squarely on the head.

Your gonna have to buy some good (flat response) headphones as well.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok I understand what you're saying. You're right. I'm a beginner and need to learn correctly. So do you recommend the roland instead of yamaha?
No, as both Roland and Yamaha are effectively the same.

You're not going to learn how to ice skate on inline roller blades, but you will learn many of the fundamentals necessary, and a lot will transfer over. I'd add a practice pad to your shopping list for snare rudiments.

If you see yourself getting an A-kit in the future, grab a 532. If you see yourself remaining on a E-kit forever, 522 or TD11, whichever is more comfortable to you.

If you are going to be using the kit in tandem with a laptop full-time, I believe that there are a few 100% mesh kits out there with cheap MIDI modules for ~500 euro. These might be a better option.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

i have had a Roland TD-12 for around 10 years and it's been awesome. However, I bought it new and spent a small fortune on it and various upgrades. My suggestion is to find a higher quality, great condition used e-kit, instead of going with a lower-midrange new one. I've seen some decent prices on higher end used ones, recently.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Don't do it. It's a trap!

Pretty much this ^^^^.

The exception would be if it's your only option. Like you need to make no sound or something.

In that case, I'm partial to a set of multi pads, like DrumWild has.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

Shameless plug for a video I made :p but this is what I practise on between gigs.
https://youtu.be/h98hyDl-US8

I slackened all the mesh heads and they feel 99% like my acoustic drums and not like trampolines anymore.

No issues at all with triggering, well, only very occassionally there's a glitch on the x-stick, but I doubt any e-kit is completely free of that.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am about to buy an electronic drum kit. .....

Why do you want to buy an e-kit instead of an acoustic kit?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Why do you want to buy an e-kit instead of an acoustic kit?
Because of the noise issue. I will be using it in the house. If I can I go with an acoustic but the electric is what I need.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:04 AM

What is the best snare pad that feels like the real acoustic between the roland mesh and the yamaha silicone?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Pretty much this ^^^^.

The exception would be if it's your only option. Like you need to make no sound or something.

In that case, I'm partial to a set of multi pads, like DrumWild has.
Like the OP, I use my E Drums due to sound and issues of convenience.

However, I've also used them twice for gigs.

They're pretty good. Better than most house acoustic kits I am forced to use.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:19 PM

personally having played both, I much prefer Yamaha's textured silicon DTX pads over Roland mesh heads, but its a personal choice.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Because of the noise issue. I will be using it in the house. If I can I go with an acoustic but the electric is what I need.
You should go to a music store and listen to someone beat on those, and then think about it a bit more.

I used my "Frankenstein" MIDI setup in an apartment rehearsal a few years back. The bass trigger is a midiKAT, which sits on the floor, and the beater beats down.

We were on the FOURTH floor, and got a noise complaint from the SECOND floor.

You won't have that problem, but it will still make some noise.

Maybe a beater that was more forward, like a real bass drum, may have mitigated this a bit. But when you're playing on rubber pads, it is not soundless, and produces some vibrations.

A pic of that bass drum trigger and pedal is below. More pics of that weird "kit" can be found HERE.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You should go to a music store and listen to someone beat on those, and then think about it a bit more.

I used my "Frankenstein" MIDI setup in an apartment rehearsal a few years back. The bass trigger is a midiKAT, which sits on the floor, and the beater beats down.

We were on the FOURTH floor, and got a noise complaint from the SECOND floor.

You won't have that problem, but it will still make some noise.

Maybe a beater that was more forward, like a real bass drum, may have mitigated this a bit. But when you're playing on rubber pads, it is not soundless, and produces some vibrations.

A pic of that bass drum trigger and pedal is below. More pics of that weird "kit" can be found HERE.

True this. They are still noisy. End of the day one's still twatting something with a stick.

But, take my situation at least. My wife gets to hear me playing my E Drums....as opposed to the entire housing estate :-)

Strangely my wife says listening to me playing E Drums is really relaxing for her and helps her sleep. How weird's that ??
Old 09-13-2017, 05:02 PM

I do think that my mother would have loved for me to have e-drums over an acoustic kit, as a teenager. The neighbors on the three surrounding blocks would have felt the same.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I do think that my mother would have loved for me to have e-drums over an acoustic kit, as a teenager. The neighbors on the three surrounding blocks would have felt the same.
This is the one thing that makes me envy electric guitar players.
With headphones they can play their instrument any time of day or night without ever anyone hearing them.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
This is the one thing that makes me envy electric guitar players.
With headphones they can play their instrument any time of day or night without ever anyone hearing them.
Or a piano or keyboard for that matter.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 PM

The dtx532k includes a real hi-hat. Do you think it is necessary to have a real hi-hat stand?
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I have a solution to the noise problem.

Just F everybody and play acoustic drums.

Get into fights if you have to, but don't back down.

Be a d***head, only about that. It's an hour a day, big deal, get over it.

Let them deal with the noise in their own way. Some might like it. I love it when I hear my sons practice.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:51 PM

A house with a room far enough from the bedroom, e-drums, and headphones would be a great alternative.

With my upstairs apartment, I can't even use an e-kit as an acceptable alternative.

I had a labrum tear in my right shoulder in early 2014. You know that you're getting old when you suffer an injury as a result of "sleeping wrong."

I sincerely thought that I'd never drum again, so I started focusing on other instruments, such as guitar, bass, and keyboard. I already played them, but wanted to get better.

The idea of completely giving up drums felt wrong. So I got an AKAI MPD18 and use it to trigger Addictive Drum sounds in Reaper.

The good news is that I can play drums again, and have been doing so for the past year, without surgery. I also got way better at finger drumming on the MPD18, which helps with home studio recordings.

But there is NOTHING like playing an acoustic kit.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM

have a Jobeky kit which I use for practice. At least it's set up and looks like an acoustic kit. I need to update my Roland module, but if I had the choice of spending £500 on a new module or buying a new snare, it'll be the snare every time. I also need an hour or so to really sort out the settings, as the bass drum is far too receptive with unwanted repeat hits that I never get on acoustic kit. But, you know, I'd rather be practising for that hour so I just go on the pad. I have this model but with the one floor tom.

https://jobekydrums.co.uk/product/jo...lete-drum-kit/
Old 09-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Or a piano or keyboard for that matter.
Well an acoustic piano can still be loud enough to disturb people and so an electric piano or keyboard is their substitute in much the same way electric drums are for us, ie, it works but not ideal. But yes, they can certainly play a keyboard at all hours. An electric drumkit can't be played at all hours as it still makes a lot of noise just from the rubber.

But electric guitarists have the best situation as.they don't have to substitute their main instrument, and unamplified string plucking makes next to no noise.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
True this. They are still noisy. End of the day one's still twatting something with a stick.

But, take my situation at least. My wife gets to hear me playing my E Drums....as opposed to the entire housing estate :-)

Strangely my wife says listening to me playing E Drums is really relaxing for her and helps her sleep. How weird's that ??
My wife usually says, 'I can't believe you're playing those bloody drums again. The kids haven't seen you all day.'
Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The dtx532k includes a real hi-hat. Do you think it is necessary to have a real hi-hat stand?
The real HHat stand makes things feel more like an A-Kit. If you think you're going to be playing an A-Kit in the near future and want to minimize the transition awkwardness, go for the 532.

If you're going to be exclusively sticking with an e-kit for the next 2-3 years, I'd seriously recommend you go one grade up (DTX700 / TD15?). I think of my DTX532 as a trap kit that just happens to make noise.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 PM

I think i'll let it go because I can't find the right kit. I would like the yamaha dtx562k which have everything I want and at a reasonable price but my local music shop does not have them.