DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Default Cost of shipping snare drum to me?

I've seen a vintage snare drum I want on Reverb for 185 + shipping. It's a shop in LA and I'm in the UK. The price of the drum is very good and would cost a lot more over here, especially for the condition it appears to be in. Do any UK members know what other costs I should expect to have to add on? I'll have to contact the seller about shipping as it says he hasn't set a shipping cost for United Kingdom. I imagine that alone will be about 80 to 100. And I guess there'll be 20% VAT as well, import tax (whatever the rate is, 3.7%?), road delivery by parcel force or similar courier and, anything else? Would about 340 sound about right after all costs are added? I'm not sure I can get a seller to put 'gift' on it to save on duty.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 AM
JohnoWorld

Default Re: Cost of shipping snare drum to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
I've seen a vintage snare drum I want on Reverb for 185 + shipping. It's a shop in LA and I'm in the UK. The price of the drum is very good and would cost a lot more over here, especially for the condition it appears to be in. Do any UK members know what other costs I should expect to have to add on? I'll have to contact the seller about shipping as it says he hasn't set a shipping cost for United Kingdom. I imagine that alone will be about 80 to 100. And I guess there'll be 20% VAT as well, import tax (whatever the rate is, 3.7%?), road delivery by parcel force or similar courier and, anything else? Would about 340 sound about right after all costs are added? I'm not sure I can get a seller to put 'gift' on it to save on duty.
I bought a keller shell from the US a few years ago, the first time it arrived in the UK, it didn't have the correct documents so it was sent back to the US. It was then returned and eventually got to me after having to pay an import duty.

I can't remember any of the details but it was not that much. Things may have changed since but it is fraught with issues unless you are a dab hand at it like Andy above
Old 09-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Cost of shipping snare drum to me?

Thank you very much Andy and John. Great information!