DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

Default Nerve issue

I've been getting some numbness in my leg near my knee for a few months now. Its started moving up my leg as of late. I just found out that it's coming from my sciatic nerve. Got some p.t. exercises to help with it. Hope that they do.

I'm thinking about how this pertains to my playing of the bass drum and hi hat pedals for single and double bass. I play more from the hips heels up on the pedals. There is ankle motion for sure, but the vast majority of the movement comes more from my hips. Being that I now have this nerve issue that's causing me to have numbness in my legs I wonder if that is the best way to approach playing on the pedals? I wonder if playing heels down would be better for my back and my legs considering this new nerve issue that I was just diagnosed with. The person that gave me the diagnosis really did not have an answer for me on this. So I figured I'd throw it out here to see what you all think.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Nerve issue

Have you considered adjusting your seat height, that can have a huge impact
Old 09-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Have you considered adjusting your seat height, that can have a huge impact
^^^^ This.

Try a little higher, so your butt is above your knees.

Not medical,advice in any way, but it worked for me. Now I always sit higher up and have a much better view in front !
Old 09-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
^^^^ This.

Try a little higher, so your butt is above your knees.

Not medical,advice in any way, but it worked for me. Now I always sit higher up and have a much better view in front !

This is how I have sat for years.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Even an expert would have to see you play.

No matter how perfect a position and perfect techique, drummnig is still a recipe for repetitive stress injury. It's not far from sitting in a chair on a production line. We have to take precautions tp prevent this and even more as we age.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

It might be time to take a few weeks, or even a few months off. And beyond that, maybe addressing your posture, technique and etc. with another set of eyes (instructor?)
Old 09-03-2017, 05:17 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Just some common sense stuff...

I'm thinking since nerves all go back to the spine...Chiropractic and/or an inverter table couldn't hurt. I love my inverter table. A few minutes of hanging completely upside down is so good for my spine health, and the endocrine system in general. Gentle hamstring stretching can't hurt either. If you have a hard time putting your palms on the floor, stretching out the hams is the thing to do.

The body naturally tightens up, with gravity, stress, and all the other things we must weather. That tightness has to be counteracted. I'd say stretching is better for drumming than weight training. Relaxation is key. Also, when you play, notice if you are holding your body tight. If so, that could be a big cause of your issues. Don't slump over when playing. Like Brian said, posture is really important. A straight back...looks better and is better for your back. Thrust your lumbar forward when sitting. If you have to force yourself to sit arrow straight in the beginning, do it. Over time your body will get with the program

Loosen up, stretch out, don't play tight. Relax. Don't breathe shallow. Let more air in. Make a conscious effort to relax until it comes naturally. Notice your inner tension level and let it go. Eliminate it. Self correct. I think you can reverse this issue by not doing what you normally do. It's not working right for you if numbness is one of the results of your playing.

Maybe heel down would work better for your body.

This to me sounds like it's the way you play, not a real medical issue. You're pinching nerves is my guess.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Stretch and strengthen the piriformis and mutifidi.

Bikram hot yoga good too.

The edge of your seat can make that nerve sore too.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I don't know about you guys, but I can't have a wallet in my back pocket when I sit. It presses on a nerve. Remove your wallet when you play. Start by eliminating all the negative factors.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Definitely see a good chiropractor. So many issues can result if your spine is slightly off somewhere.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

If you have no padding on your ass like me, a pillow on the throne may help.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

"I don't know about you guys, but I can't have a wallet in my back pocket when I sit. It presses on a nerve. " Hey that hit a "nerve" Larry lol. Yep I was having all kind of back and leg issues from my damn wallet as it turned out-it was killing me. I've always told my wife I wanted a Medieval rack to stretch out my back. I may try the inverter table. I remember my Mom having neck issue and she had this pulley/weights device that hung over the door she would basically hang herself to stretch out her neck-looked painful.
Back to thread-I was wondering where your numbness near your knee is? I'm trying to remember my anatomy and as I recollect the sciatic nerve is back of leg and the femoral nerve gets the front knee region and thigh-does your thigh tingle or is it all back of leg-sciatic?
Old 09-04-2017, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

I have a similar issue. I found that using a backrest on the throne helped me very much. Peace and goodwill.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Have you talked to the doctor at all about this?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:13 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
I've always told my wife I wanted a Medieval rack to stretch out my back. I may try the inverter table. I remember my Mom having neck issue and she had this pulley/weights device that hung over the door she would basically hang herself to stretch out her neck-looked painful.
I like it because it's so simple in concept. Use gravity. I get real relief from it. It works like nothing else. If you are overweight, it's really uncomfortable. All that extra flesh makes it hard to breathe. I know. I lost a bunch of weight this year. The inverter is much easier to do now.

I had a teeter hang up. It kinda sucked, compared to the 100 dollar one I got from the web. This one is much more comfortable, easier to get back to a normal position, and the thing that holds you by the ankles, the spring tension is much easier to disengage. It's just better all around for a lot less dough.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Gold Member

Numbness is not something to mess around with because it is a precursor to nerve damage. Once nerves are damaged and left untreated the nerve pain can continue even after the cause is fixed, via surgery or physical therapy. I suggest you seek medical help just to be cautious.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Gold Member

I have an official doctors appointment on the 18th of this month.

Funny enough the pastor of my church has the same issue. He showed me some exersices to try to help that he got from physical therapy.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

I used to get aches and pains all over. And my knob and bollocks went numb (seriously).

A fellow drummer who I know and admire well suggested I 'stretch out a bit'....that is, raised my seat so that my legs are straighter. It proved to be practically miraculous for me. And my playing improved.

For what it's worth.

Last edited by SquadLeader; 09-07-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

1. Go see a chiropractor who uses an activator, not one of those "pop and crack" folks. Your hips may be out of line. I know waaaay more about this than I would like.

2. Buy a Pork Pie Big Boy drum throne and install a Roc-N-Soc backrest.

3. If you don't do so already, join a gym and lift weights.

I do all three, and it's fixed 98% of my problems.