DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:11 PM

Default I have a lesson with Louie Palmer

Hi guys.

An old school friend of mine is back in the UK for a week next week and I have booked a lesson with him. He is Louie and if you haven't heard of him check out some vids on you tube. He lives in LA now and is world class.

The last time we played was around 25 years ago when we're were pre teenagers. I was better than him then. I am going back to his parents house on Monday after all this time. It's going to epic.

However how best to use this one off hour lesson? I don't have lessons and as I play for fun and fairly infrequently I am wondering how best to utilise the time. I think I am best off playing and allowing him to identify poor technique and areas of weakness so I can work on them. I know how fast an hour goes and it is going to cost a big chunk of dough so I want to make sure I do gain something.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Alex Sanguinetti
This message has been deleted by Alex Sanguinetti.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:04 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: I have a lesson with Louie Palmer

That's great Dizeee. Louie is an unbelievable player. Incredible chops and groove. I had a lesson with him at his parents house about 5 years ago I think, before he first went to LA.

I would say let him just observe you and he'll see key things to change about your technique, such as the way you hold the sticks, how you strike the drums, height of the snare drum, all those sort of things. It's true that one hour will go quickly, and there won't be enough time to learn much of the system he teaches. I don't know how much a big chunk of dough is, I hope it's not like £100! I'm guessing he can command that sort of money these days.
But as a one off investment with a player of his calibre, just adjusting the way you play will still be money well spent. By correcting things your playing will improve.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:43 PM

It is 100. Or 175 for 2 hrs. To be honest I was quite su r prised at the cost but I do think it worth it for his ability. I'm just not sure I'm worth it as I hardly play and never properly practice.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:50 PM

I've just realised that basically a pound for every 30 seconds I am with him... That's nuts!
Old 09-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

To be honest Dizeee, though you would gain something from him about your playing, unless you want to see him because you're old school friends, there are other respected teachers you could learn a lot from in one lesson that would cost quite a bit less, probably about half that amount. But obviously it means finding out who, where, when. But if you've decided you're happy to spend £100 as a one off, go for it.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:39 PM

I do feel like it is a one off. And possibly if I did it twice a year and he gave me clear stuff to work in, I would see the difference.

But at the end of the day am I motivated and dedicated enough to put the time in - possibly. Am I able to commit to consistent structured practice, unlikely.

I am willing to part with the cash to see how different it was to the local teacher I saw in winter, who charged me £30 for an hour and barely heard me play, as well as taught me next to nothing. It really was a waste of money.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
To be honest Dizeee, though you would gain something from him about your playing, unless you want to see him because you're old school friends, there are other respected teachers you could learn a lot from in one lesson that would cost quite a bit less, probably about half that amount. But obviously it means finding out who, where, when. But if you've decided you're happy to spend £100 as a one off, go for it.
I'm with, Lee, on this, James. For old-time sake, I understand, but from the standpoint of an hour long session with hopes of walking away with something positive, I remain skeptical.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:29 PM

I appreciate your honesty. I do kind of wonder the same. I also feel though that for the sake of a one off payment I can at least see the difference between a cheap lesson, and one from a "master".

I will report back. I am also uploading a little cover to youtube as I type :-) I have adjusted my drum heights and throne height, no more leg on knee!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Well, I went.

It was def a far better experience than the last lesson attempt I had. We did some pad work, grip and technique stuff for around 20 to 25 mins. This was great and the first real input I have had. Turns out I am not using my wrist enough, using my forearm when I shouldn't be, gripping wrong (far to loose ) and rather than playing notes I am trying to get two for the price of one by bouncing.

Then moved onto the kit. Didn't feel at home with his practice kit, more basic than mine, very boomy and resonant. But I played some things and he gave me some good advice on sound, rimming the back beat on the snare, using the bass pedal heel down, and just fattening up the sound in general. He has sent over some PDF's on stuff we worked on, so I can use these to do some structured practice. Hopefully by changing the way I approach the kit and the sticks, by default the developed technique will go some way into making me sound better.

Undecided on price. For an amateur of my limited ability it was probably a bit of a waste in some ways, but do you know what as a one off I was prepared to swallow the £100 cost. It was also an amazing trip down memory lane in many ways.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Sorta sounds like it was worth it to me.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

What would it cost for you to hire a plumber for the same amount of time? How about a plumber who has the same number of years on the job as Louie has playing drums?

There you go. Louie is a great player, and more importantly, very analytical.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Oh yes, I do feel it was worth the money for the time I spent. I don't feel that I am necessarily worth the input, but that's irrelevant really.

The main thing is I have some great tips and pointers to take away from the session. Hopefully once I put these into practice I will be able to see some more control and dynamics on the kit.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

The right info and guidance from one lesson, especially if you take notes and savour all of it, can be worth more than dozens of misguided lessons.

I don't really agree about some posters claiming only regular lessons have benefit. That would be great, but it's not always possible depending on both economy and where you live.

I take lessons that way myself. I often have a plan myself, but it's a mixture of both. I ask for stuff I think they can help with and they have their own standard focus as well as things they want to comment or discuss about my playing. It's not always a "do this instead", it's often just a discussion why we do what we do.

As a teacher myself I often make a huge difference after one or two short lessons with students who aren't used to qualified teachers. Some are used to the old ways, but those who want to learn sort of know already and are happy to finally have qualified help.