DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:48 PM

Default What do you use to haul your hardware

And do you collapse your hihat?
Old 08-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What do you use to haul your hardware?

I use something like this.
You can find them for $5 to $7 at Goodwill.
Yes, I collapse my Hi Hat.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: What do you use to haul your hardware

I use this $32 mic stand bag - http://www.samash.com/on-stage-speak...-bag-ossb6500x

HH, 2 cymbal stands, snare stand (all extended to playing height), throne base, tom holder, and stick bag fit nicely in a single bag. However, I'm using '60s flat-base stands for cymbals and snare, so that cuts way down on weight and size. I doubt that most drummers could manage all of their hardware in one slim bag, even with today's (so-called) lightweight hardware.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 08-31-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:25 PM

I have a plywood box on casters about 30" wide, 48" long and 24" deep.

One corner is boxed in for the snare. The throne seat goes on top of that (upside down) to protect the skin. The rest of the hardware fits loose in the box. I nest my cymbals and hold them together with the hihat clutch, then suspend them on a rod coming down from the center of the box lid. Bass drum and toms (in cases) stack on top of the box and it's all transported with one hand. You DO need two people to "portage" the thing if stairs are unavoidable though.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

I use heavy plywood boxes that I built in the 80s. I've been looking a tool bags on the net recantly. I'm thinking maybe three smaller bags will not stress my back as much. The hat stand stays assembled. That mic stand bag Bermuda posted might be just the thing.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: What do you use to haul hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog6653 View Post
and do you collapse your hi-hat?
A huge padded bag which is long enough to hold my stands without pulling them all apart and has wheels at one end. Best investment I ever made.

All I need do with the hi hat is remove the spike (or whatever the hell it's technically supposed to be called) and collapse the stand. Drives me mad though because I can never unscrew it with sweaty hands.

I lay all the stands down on top of the drum mat I use (folded to fit the space perfectly) so that they don't all clank together and against the ground underneath. Works out really well. Got it from Gear4music in UK an online shop. Under fifty quid. Really tough.

http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-...Gear4music/C7T
Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
I'm thinking maybe three smaller bags will not stress my back as much.
That's part of the reason I'm using a hardware bag lately. I used to have all hardware, pedal, seat, and cymbals in a rolling trap case. It was as small as they come, but also fairly heavy and it didn't move elegantly in & out of my truck. The case had wheels, so it was handy for moving the kick on top of it, then I'd make a 2nd trip for the snare and toms.

By moving the stands to a bag, the cymbals to a bag, and the pedal and throne top to a bag, I was able to eliminate the single heaviest and most unwieldy piece I had. At the same time, I got a cart, and found I was able to take everything - gig rug too - in one trip, without actually carrying anything. Easier in every way.

Bermuda
Attached Images

Last edited by bermuda; 08-31-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

These two items and I can move my 4 or 5 piece kit in one trip, I push the rolling bag and pull the rock and roller cart. Where was this stuff back in the day?
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a hardshell SKB golf club case for $20 off a friend of mine. It works really well.

However, I discovered a big canvas bag that my wife had lying around that's smaller than this case, and I've been using it since. I carry my hats stand separately. It's just easier.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

SKB hard shell golf club case.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:05 PM

https://www.hardcase.com/cases/hardware

Had it 20 years, and it's been hauled here, there and everywhere. Still absolutely rock solid.

Kopites are gobshítes.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:39 AM

I use the Kaces hardware bag with wheels. I need to try out one of those Rock and Roller carts too. 👍
Old 09-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I have three various hardware bags with wheels, a couple of rolling fiber trap cases, and I also inherited one of those SKB golf club cases, so depending on how much stuff I need, I pick accordingly. I do tend to break all my hardware down, including the hi-hat so it all fits into the smallest bag I might decide to use.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

I use the smallest Beato hardware bag, and it has handled ~10 years of pretty hard use well. I take my stands apart.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 PM

usually hard or soft golf club cases work real well

Certainly depends on price tho. Not gonna get suckered into one of those 150 dollar hardware bag they try to get u to buy at the drum store still
Old 09-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Modernist View Post
https://www.hardcase.com/cases/hardware

Had it 20 years, and it's been hauled here, there and everywhere. Still absolutely rock solid.
I have a set of those Hardcases for my drums. I don't carry any of them anymore because of the weight (I carry bags now), but I still use my snare case. I've had mine for 20 years as well, and I've had to replace a couple of the buckles and straps, but those are some solid cases. They've been rained on and thrown around countless times, and they've held up really well. Back when I bought mine, I had to buy them a la carte because they didn't sell drum case "sets." I paid close to $500 for a 6-piece set because I bought each individually (which also included a cymbal "vault" which I still use almost every week. The only options back in the early 90s were chipboard cases, anvil cases, and these. I chose these, and I'm glad I did. If I were going out full-time, I wouldn't hesitate to take these.

Edit: I just did the "British pounds to dollars" conversion, and a 5-piece set costs $480, but it does not include shipping or a cymbal case which would be an extra $88, not including shipping. It looks like their prices haven't come down.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

I don't carry more than two stands at a time. I used to carry hardware in a bag, and two herniated discs later I have to really baby myself.

Therefore, I find myself in that classic drummer dilemma. Fewer stands, but heavier because they have extra arms and things clamped to them? Or more, lighter stands, meaning multiple trips and more opportunites to blow out my lower back?
Old 09-01-2017, 06:38 PM

This:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...are%20&index=3

I added one additional 6000 series cymbal stand to go along with it and I can still carry all of my hardware with one hand.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I like Andy's solution the best.

Voice activated too :)
Old 09-02-2017, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

I made this several years ago for about $25. It holds all my hardware except my backrest. Peace and goodwill.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2017, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

I use an old golf club case that I got from Academy for $50 a few years ago, my hi-hat stand doesn't fit in the case because the footboard doesn't fold up. I am able to keep a snare stand, two straight cymbal stands and my kick pedal in the case without having to collapse any of my stands.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Gold Member

The picture shows my haul from Target a couple of years ago about this time of year. A dorm carpet - $10, makes an excellent gig rug - and two wheeled plastic bins, which were on sale for $10 each or so (IIRC). I bought two for when the first breaks, but it hasn't yet, so...right now it holds winter coats in storage. :-D They're like what Drumolator posted a few posts up, but the wheels are built in.

One of those wheelie bins holds three double-braced cymbal, hi-hat, and snare stands - all Pearl 930 series - as well as single pedal, and throne, top and all. It was really heavy, but the wheels made it super easy to move around.

When I made the switch to the flat-base Gibraltar stands, the bin is only half as full of metal, so I can fit my stick bag, my clip-on fan, and a bunch of other stuff in there and it still weighs less than when I had the Pearl stands. I can actually carry it by the gray handle in the picture, which was never possible before.

One day I'm going to get one of those convertible carts.
Attached Images

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com
Old 09-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I like Andy's solution the best.

Voice activated too :)
Yeah, his solution works double duty too. I bet if I saw Andy at a show and said hey I know that guy...hey Andy! Next thing, I'd find myself folded up in a Roadrunner bag! LOL!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
At the same time, I got a cart, and found I was able to take everything - gig rug too - in one trip, without actually carrying anything. Easier in every way.
Bermuda
I'm with you! I bought my RockNRoller cart years ago and my whole kit can roll in one trip! I just stack it all up and bungee it all down. Stairs are another thing! The only thing I can't fit in anywhere is my Tama throne seat. It's too big! but that one minor problem aside I have my system down smooth. It's shocks other drummers I play with who don't even use cases or a cart. Why?!?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Spreggy's gear schlepping rules:
IMHO:
Never collapse anything you can avoid collapsing. Cymbal booms are okay to fold down, anything else is a shortcoming in your schlep strategy. If you must have a hardware case, a nearly free golf bag at a garage sale works great, and your buddies will think it's so cool that they'll want to carry it for you. Serious win there. Other long cases with wheels on one end and a handle on the other will work well. PorkPieGuy's case looks about perfect.

The best gear case is a minivan, fold down/remove the seats, stand your set up in it and drive to the gig. Completely clog the venue door so folks help you carry it in. Put your cymbals in a hard case so they won't decapitate you in an accident. Leave the snare on the stand, but flip it over so it's standing on its head for the drive.

No wingnuts or clamps allowed on cymbals. The felts go on your hi hat rod as you pack up. While your buddies are in other venues spinning their wingnuts you're gone baby gone.

Does your monitor mixer fit in your stick bag? Mine does.

Seriously consider ditching the double bass pedal, unless you really, really use it. If you just use it for the amazing train-wreck endings like most of us, why not leave it at home? The thing is maybe more hassle than it's worth if we're being honest here.

Wear gig clothes to the venue. This one took me a long time to accept, but once I got into the habit I save me some before and after dress-up time. I learned this from watching horn players, those guys are masters at leaving on time that's for sure.

Have fun!
JS
Old 09-06-2017, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Coffin Case flight case that was intended to be used for amp heads. Turns out it fits drum hardware real well and is more compacts that most hardware cases and bags.
Downside is that it's like 100 lbs. when full, so I need to use a metal dolly to wheel it around.
YouTube
Old 09-06-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreggy View Post
Spreggy's gear schlepping rules:
IMHO:
Wear gig clothes to the venue. This one took me a long time to accept, but once I got into the habit I save me some before and after dress-up time. I learned this from watching horn players, those guys are masters at leaving on time that's for sure.

Have fun!
JS
I can't do that. I'm one of those people that sweats as soon as I start doing physical stuff. Even if it's cold outside or inside, the water works start and it's not just a little wet brow, I'm talking about dripping sweat. I'm a little husky, but not huge. Even when I was under 200lbs, sweating has always been "a thing." I take 2 changes of clothes w/ me to every gig including fresh boxers: 1) Gig clothes, 2) fresh clothes to put on if needed for load-out (not always needed though).
Old 09-06-2017, 01:55 PM

I asked a similar question awhile back and took Bermuda's advice on the mic bag. Holds my hi hat, two cymbal stands, and snare stand easy, without folding it all up, and isn't terribly heavy. I also have something similar to one of the posts above. It's a black rolling plastic tote from target for $20. Holds my snare, floor tom, mounted tom, carpet, and pedal. I'm a chick and I can still lift it all into my truck myself without breaking my back.

The rocknroller cart is also a must have.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

I use a catalogue shop bought medium sized hold-all, 61cm x 33cm x 28cm, that cost me £9.99 at a special offer price. In it goes 4 straight cymbal stands, snare stand and hi hat stand (dismantled) a small tub containing drum keys, earplugs etc and my stick bag. All hardware is DW Ultralight so it's easy to carry. I could fit more in but as it stands it's a very manageable weight so I have a similar bag for my drum stool base, Mapex Saturn bass drum tom mount (so both quite weighty) and tom legs. I have a double bass pedal bag which I carry my pedal and spare in, it has a shoulder strap so it's easy to carry when my hands are full. Studio rings are always kept in place on my toms and snare and simply drop into the drum bag when I'm not using them, likewise my tone gel which is stuck on plastic film, my hand towel goes in the bass drum bag at the beginning of the night before I've sweated into it. My drum stool has a saddle top but previously I had a round top and placed that on top of my 12" tom in "power tom" sized drum bag.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Kaces 46" rolling hardware bag. Excellent value. Fits right across the back seat of my car.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1238084