DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default It's good to have friends who can play!

Whew!

I got booked to play at an outdoor picnic coming up, and at first I thought, well, I don't have any money so I guess I'll do the solo thing where I'm singing and playing drums to tracks - it was a big hit the last time I did it a few years ago.

And then as I mulled it around, I really wanted my band instead, just so I could really cut loose in this case. So I place the calls and of course, the guys so "ok" and it goes in the calendar. Cool. No issues. Then, the guitar player, who plays for an aging progressive pop band with three hits from the 70s calls to tell me that his bigger band is booked on a small tour that weekend.

Dang it.

So as I'm now mulling back and forth on whether or not to go back to my solo idea or just not doing the gig altogether, I mention my problems to some other folks casually over lunch. I guess my friends don't want me to cancel because I got a couple of guys to help out, and I'm waiting on a third. We'll get together and talk over a set-list and then go out and do it.

I feel blessed for some reason.

Since this is my project I'm the de facto band leader and singer, so I have to put together the set-list and prepare to sing for most of the time. Maybe I'll let the other guys sing some too for variety. Maybe I'll come up with a temporary band name too. Might as well.

A cool idea I just had was to do Bowie's Heroes. I know a gal with an electric violin who could easily do Fripp's singing guitar part. I'm putting that on the list. I'll let you know how it goes. I plan to record and video it too for posterity - and to prove I know an attractive blonde female who can rip it up on an electric violin ;)
Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: It's good to have friends who can play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I plan to record and video it too for posterity - and to prove I know an attractive blonde female who can rip it up on an electric violin ;)
Love the Heros idea, and I was a huge fan of Camper Van Beethoven back in the day.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Just did something similar; put together a group yesterday after getting a request to play an 80s-themed cancer benefit. Sadly, we'll have no electric violin.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:19 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Love the Heros idea, and I was a huge fan of Camper Van Beethoven back in the day.
And my violinist has phoned back and said she'd be happy to play with this little pickup project. Heroes is in! Exciting times.

This means that I better have my crap together.