DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-30-2017, 01:39 AM

Default GENESIS - Vintage Equipment Discussion!

Hey guys, just thought I'd make this thread. Here we can discuss the vintage equipment used in the English Prog-rock band Genesis. Specifically the drums from 1969-1979 or so.

I wanted to start off the discussion on the Genesis tour from 1976 (Trick of the Tail Tour as some refer to it). This is the concert where Bill Bruford subs in for a little bit with Phil Collins before Chester Thompson joined in 1977.

Bill Bruford used a cymbal in that concert that had a really trashy short decay sound that was also featured on One More Red Nightmare by King Crimson. Now I found it was a thin Zilco (Pre Zildjian) ride that was left bent in a trash can from the previous band in the rehearsal room. Has anybody tried to recreate that cymbal, or have any good pictures of it? It was used a lot on Supper's Ready in 1976.

Also, does anyone know the specific drums and percussion Phil Collins used on that tour? He used some sort of Premier drum set as well as some roto toms and timbales. Any specifics?

Thanks and feel free to reply to this and introduce new info!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: GENESIS - Vintage Equipment Discussion!

Off the top of my head...

Phil used the natural mahogany Premier Resonator kit he played on the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour to record Trick and played it live on that tour. Sizes were 12/13/14/16/20. Trick also sounds like he was using a Ludwig Super Sensitive snare.

For Wind and Wuthering Phil got a black Gretsch kit with concert toms. For the '77 tour he got a set of black Premier concert toms but used the Gretsch bass drum. The sizes looked like 10/12/13/14/16/18/20. This time he was using a Ludwig 402 Supraphonic.

And Then There Were Three was another Premier kit, this time natural finish and a total of eight concert toms. I think this kit had a 22" bass drum, but I'm not sure. He was also using all Zildjian brilliant cymbals right around this time too.

Phil had a new Premier kit with double-headed toms one more time on the Duke tour, but I'm not sure if he used it on the album or not. By this time he had gone back to endorsing Paiste, but used a mix of Paiste and Zildjians for a number of years after that, even after switching to Sabian.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

It's all detailed in this book:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Early 80's Phil also used a Pearl DLX kit (birch), 22 BD, a whole array of concert toms. This is also on a lot of the recordings done at the Farm studios.
Your upper left pic also shows him using the clear Fibes snare, which appears on some live appearances in the 70's including the Lamb tour.
The 1976 shows with Bill Buford were exceptional. Funny how both had a lot of mismatch on their kits of the day - for Bill, Ludwigs with Haymans.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:53 AM
Matt Bo Eder

You know, off topic, but I kinda miss those days when everybody had mismatched stuff. I remember reading a David Garibaldi interview where he described his set as a Ludwig bass drums, with Sonor toms, and ti kinda' looked like an old Ford, but sounded really good.

Nowadays, since everything is so in order, and drummers properly sponsored, you hardly see a drummer with mismatched gear. Maybe they're using a different brand snare drum, or different bass drum pedals, but for the most part if you see "Pearl" or "Ludwig" on the bass drum head, most of the stuff will be that brand.

On the one hand, these days you get this homogenous look to every drummer, which is good if it helps the image of the band, but I think it would've been cool to have gone to concerts back in the early 70s where you'd see all kinds of different brands being used by the drummer. Heck, even different colors - I think there was a picture of Tony Williams shot where his floor tom was a different finish when he played with Miles. Or Charlie Watts who had a Ludwig kit where everything matched except the rack tom. Not many drummers would show up to their gigs with mismatched drums these days.

Or am I wrong?
Old 08-30-2017, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

I agree the mismatch thing seems like a distant memory. I think MTV and the like encouraged a cleaner and more "put together" look, and drums are the biggest piece of furniture on the stage.

During the Selling England tour Phil used a Gretsch kit that had a 12" Premier tom, and he later added a Gretsch floor tom that was a different color for a while until he re-wrapped it in white to match.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Not many drummers would show up to their gigs with mismatched drums these days.

Or am I wrong?
Off the top of my head, Jay Bellerose often has mismatches on stage. Mind you most of the drums he uses are mixes of vintage orphans, from the 1940s or older, and that goes with the vibe of bands he plays with.

I actually don't really prefer clean a look on drum kits. Mixes of snares, hardware and drums are fine by me. I love that Charlie Watts cymbals are not a 'set'. I suppose for many gigs though, you have to fit the part. White drums for hair bands, black drums for metal.....
Old 08-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Off the top of my head, Jay Bellerose often has mismatches on stage. Mind you most of the drums he uses are mixes of vintage orphans, from the 1940s or older, and that goes with the vibe of bands he plays with.

I actually don't really prefer clean a look on drum kits. Mixes of snares, hardware and drums are fine by me. I love that Charlie Watts cymbals are not a 'set'. I suppose for many gigs though, you have to fit the part. White drums for hair bands, black drums for metal.....
Charlie is definitely an icon. I hadn't thought about the colors though. So where would all those DW players fit in with their wacky finishes? (And I do mean wacky).
Old 08-31-2017, 12:27 AM

I do miss the mismatch of kits. It seems today kits more have to look really good in order to sound good to some people, and it all has to match and everything. As long as it sounds good, I'm good.