DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Default Shure PGA Drumkit 7 Mic set with Alesis io2 on FL studio

Hi,
I've recently purchased the Shure PGA DrumKit 7 mic set and since I only have a 2 channel Audio interface ( Alesis io2 express), I was testing the mics individually... On recording with FL STUDIO (12).. with my Windows laptop.
All the Dynamic microphones seem to record well but the problem lies with the condenser Mics,

Whenever I turn ON the 48v PHANTOM POWER power, FL studio STOPS recognising the AUDIO SIGNAL (as seen in the MIXER WINDOW - non-responsive)
though the Audio INTERFACE recognises the signal (as the LEDs on the interface flash in response to sound).
Even micing one mic alone with phantom power turned ON makes the FL studio mixer unresponsive to signal..

This is happening with both the pga81 condenser microphones but NOT with other mics.
Is there something wrong with the setup (via USB) ? Or the condenser Mics (actually they're brand new) ?

~thanks

Last edited by Utkikillz; 08-25-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Shure PGA Drumkit 7 Mic set with Alesis io2 on FL studio

Whenever my mics are not recognised in the DAW it's always the sound card that isn't selected in the DAW, but if your dynamic mics are not recognised, it might be something else.

Are you using an XLR connector on both ends of the mic cable? If you use a TRS 1/4 inch plug, the phantom power might not be going to the 1/4 inch input even though it lights up. It might need to be using the XLR input of the interface.

•These are only guesses as I'm unfamiliar with your interface or DAW .
Old 08-26-2017, 05:01 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the reply... :)
I've been using XLR to XLR cable provided with the mic...

Something I noticed was that on plugging in the condenser Mics and turning ON the phantom power the input device (via Alesis io2 express external Audio Interface) gets disabled (seen in ASIO panel/settings).. marked by a *Red Cross* (pic provided) ..
On resetting the ASIO4All the mics starts providing signal to DAW (FL studio) Mixer window.. but the signal makes the program get slow...
(PS : none of this happens with the Dynamic Mics, they're working fine)

Could this be due to the fact that the USB powered interface isn't able to provide phantom power and record simultaneously??
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2017, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

It might be the ASIO defaulting to a different app that uses sound.

This video explains the asio setting when there is an "X" in the list while using FL.

It seems the solution might be to close FL studio and then close out all the other programs that might be using sound on the computer.

I don't know if that will solve it, but it looks like it could be the closest solution.

The video starts at the relevant area of information:

https://youtu.be/fn-ALsG4h2I?t=1m18s
Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 PM

The video was helpful...
Thanks a lot...

Although the problem still persists, I've found a way across it... I got a Behringer Xenyx 1202fx mixer and now I'm using the condenser Mics via the mixer into the audio interface (as a TRS cable line in) and everything seems to be working absolutely fine... it's recording well..
Perhaps the problem was in the softwares ASIO or FL STUDIO settings...
I'll try to find out the exact settings for ASIO ...

But untill then, this'll do.

Thankyou :)