DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Gold Member

Default On-Line Shopping Is Getting Very Astute

Yesterday I posted a question about shortening sticks, mainly because I was down to my last 4 pair of Vic Firth and had 10 pair of very good quality 5A's that I thought I might be able to modify (prices are very high here).
It was wondered why I would do that and why not just buy sticks you like; anyway I get an email from a company in the U.S today that I have never done business with before, advertising my favorites at half the price and free shipping to Canada (over $100) so I took advantage of it and will save this companies name for reference. This is a good thing yes but the technology is definitely getting powerful.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: On-Line Shopping Is Getting Very Astute

There are a lot of members here who own or work for various companies, big and small. Although they may not post often - or at all - they keep an eye on some of the conversations as a barometer of public opinion. My guess is that a fellow member sent the email.

I don't think that 'push' technology can decipher your needs from a post, and then email you suggestions... yet.

Bermuda
Old 08-23-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
Yesterday I posted a question about shortening sticks, mainly because I was down to my last 4 pair of Vic Firth and had 10 pair of very good quality 5A's that I thought I might be able to modify (prices are very high here).
It was wondered why I would do that and why not just buy sticks you like; anyway I get an email from a company in the U.S today that I have never done business with before, advertising my favorites at half the price and free shipping to Canada (over $100) so I took advantage of it and will save this companies name for reference. This is a good thing yes but the technology is definitely getting powerful.
I wanna suggest you try those headhunter sticks with grooved/corrugated handles. I think theyre spaces out well enough to use as a cutting guidelines as well. Not to mention theyre super lite! They stock a bunch of them at the north york long and mc (noticed ur from TO)
Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 PM

Ever since getting engaged my social media timelines have been filled with adds for wedding bands (rings, not the musical kind!), suit rentals and wedding venues. As soon as my Facebook status was changed to engaged the flood gates opened.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Ever since getting engaged my social media timelines have been filled with adds for wedding bands (rings, not the musical kind!), suit rentals and wedding venues. As soon as my Facebook status was changed to engaged the flood gates opened.
I spend half of my time on Facebook deleting ads. You would think Zuckerberg would have enough money that he could back off a bit.
do you not want to share this companies name with your fellow Canadians??
Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

Ever since I used the word geezer on this forum, I stopped getting drum adds and now get 40+ dating service adds. Someone here watching, must know something I don't! LOL!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I spend half of my time on Facebook deleting ads. You would think Zuckerberg would have enough money that he could back off a bit.
do you not want to share this companies name with your fellow Canadians??
Zuckerberg will never have enough money. Come on, Grunt!

If said company is bypassing duties or taxes, it might be best to keep that on the down low. Not that they are. I have no idea.

And while we're talking about tech and the 'net, one day my coworkers and I were talking about someone we were doing business with. My phone was out and laying on the countertop, powered up but no apps open. A little while later, the person we were discussing showed up in my facebook suggested friends, despite having no common friends, groups, etc. Nada.

That creeped me out.

Anytime I or a person I'm corresponding with mentions a product in email or message, that product starts showing up in ads.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

I'm always getting emails from reverb nation for various projects that I never put on there. Evens ones that were concepts and only given names but never went anywhere.

The internet is a stalker.

Now watch, I'm going to get ads for lawyers and such for mentioning that...
Old 08-24-2017, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Commerce controls the internet.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:21 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Just remember, our entire Earth is just some 8th grade aliens science project. We have no control.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Just remember, our entire Earth is just some 8th grade aliens science project. We have no control.
Splitting guts laughing, Johnny! :)
Old 08-24-2017, 02:20 AM

I have not used social networking for over three years.

For the past year, every time I purchase a guitar, I will have an ad the next day on Google and other news stories that I read, attempting to sell me the exact guitar that I just bought.

Since I don't post photographs anywhere, I wonder how this happens, and how so quickly.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
I have not used social networking for over three years.

For the past year, every time I purchase a guitar, I will have an ad the next day on Google and other news stories that I read, attempting to sell me the exact guitar that I just bought.

Since I don't post photographs anywhere, I wonder how this happens, and how so quickly.
They're watching you...

Or it might be cookies.

Where's my tinfoil hat?
Old 08-24-2017, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belairien View Post
They're watching you...

Or it might be cookies.

Where's my tinfoil hat?
I have an understanding of cookies, and my 3 years at MySpace taught me how they could be used.

Where would Google get these cookies, since I don't post about these purchases on social networking?

I'm not suggesting a conspiracy.

EDIT: I do NOT make these purchases online. I make these purchases inside a brick-and-mortar store. At least two of them have been with cash.

Last edited by DrumWild; 08-24-2017 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-24-2017, 02:42 AM

The only thing that I can think of is that I take photos with my phone after the brick-and-mortar CASH purchase, for logging into my database.

Google Drive has access to my photos, and they get backed up onto my GD.

That could be how Google does it. Kind of strange, considering the purchase has already been made, and the chances are nil that anyone would go out and buy the exact same instrument again.

This hypothesis can be easily tested by taking photos next time with a camera and not allowing them on my phone or Google Drive.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
The only thing that I can think of is that I take photos with my phone after the brick-and-mortar CASH purchase, for logging into my database.

Google Drive has access to my photos, and they get backed up onto my GD.

That could be how Google does it. Kind of strange, considering the purchase has already been made, and the chances are nil that anyone would go out and buy the exact same instrument again.

This hypothesis can be easily tested by taking photos next time with a camera and not allowing them on my phone or Google Drive.
I didn't catch that you purchased them in store with cash. My bad there.

Sounds like google may be too nosey. Though its probably so they can get the ad revenue. While offering things you look interested in.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
There are a lot of members here who own or work for various companies, big and small. Although they may not post often - or at all - they keep an eye on some of the conversations as a barometer of public opinion. My guess is that a fellow member sent the email.

I don't think that 'push' technology can decipher your needs from a post, and then email you suggestions... yet.

Bermuda
Psst! Hey buddy ! you wanna buy some stuff? Sounds like the same thing to me.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

I think "invasive" is the word you're looking for.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
I think "invasive" is the word you're looking for.
ha ha!...........!!!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Not much longer until they beam ads directly into our minds.
(Still can't find my tinfoil hat...)

But seriously, its annoying getting ads for things you already bought. On every single web page.

I bought my fiance a makeup item ONE time, and there are still ads for beauty crap all over the place. Including the page I'm on as I type this...
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belairien View Post
Not much longer until they beam ads directly into our minds.
(Still can't find my tinfoil hat...)What's even more annoying is as a member i can type in your quote section and advertise! HEY! WANNA BUY MY STUFF? invasive all right.......................................

But seriously, its annoying getting ads for things you already bought. On every single web page.

I bought my fiance a makeup item ONE time, and there are still ads for beauty crap all over the place. Including the page I'm on as I type this...
And i might buy some of that, you always need to look your best.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
And i might buy some of that, you always need to look your best. Yeah that is rather silly
I mean buy my things!
That is a rather good point.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I think that sounds like a reasonabe conclusion. Some may say even obvious. This thread certainly points that way.

Les, you really need to head over to the thread about online piracy that has been raging for a while now. It's in the general discussion section.

Drop this little bomb of a statement in there and watch the reactions....from a safe distance... :-)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
I think that sounds like a reasonabe conclusion. Some may say even obvious. This thread certainly points that way.

Les, you really need to head over to the thread about online piracy that has been raging for a while now. It's in the general discussion section.

Drop this little bomb of a statement in there and watch the reactions....from a safe distance... :-)
Don't do it les! It's a trap!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Data mining and data use are enormous industries - selling that data to third parties makes huge amounts websites like Facebook and Google. In those instances, they're offering you a free 'product' in order to sell their real product (data) to private companies.

I'm amazed that people are still surprised by the fact that Facebook 'knows' you. Of course it does. Every word you post, every click you make and every interaction is recorded, tracked, analysed and predicted. This data is then used to make a secondary profile for advertisers. It's illuminating stuff.

Just as a small example, try clicking on this:

https://adssettings.google.com/u/0/authenticated?hl=en

And see what Google thinks you are. I turned mine off years ago so I have no profile and just get served Google ads randomly but the vast majority of you will have a Google footprint and I'll bet in most instances, it'll be fairly accurate. I seem to recall thinking I was a male in my early 30s with interests in music, history and automobiles (which was pretty much right, apart from my age) and serving me ads accordingly. This was based on my Google searches, YouTube watching and Google+.

Facebook will have an even more accurate profile of you that's even more detailed.

This information is available to anybody willing to pay for it. In fact, during the Brexit referendum and US election last year, a company called Cambridge Analytica bought huge swathes of data and was commissioned by the Trump campaign (and Vote Leave for Brexit) to serve ads to swing voters using that information. Nothing illegal about it (the UK has very powerful election ad laws - but because it was all 'offshore' and not officially through campaign accounts, it was legal) and it may have been the deciding factor. Even more terrifyingly, the individuals in charge of these organisations only have to have one qualifying attribute to get this data: wealth.

If you think your data isn't being used by the wealthy to manipulate them into positions of power and influence, I'm afraid you're very nave.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...cked-democracy

I will admit that the Guardian is not the most balanced of papers - but this is perhaps one of the most important pieces of journalism I've read in the last ten years. For the record, I'm a news junkie.

Think about your online footprint and think about the information you're putting out there. I've reasonably minimised my footprint by deleting Facebook, anonymising my Twitter (and having it largely focussed on two topics) and limiting my use of Google to another, non-tracking browser.

You have to assume that everything you do online is tracked and recorded. Because it is.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Data mining and data use are enormous industries - selling that data to third parties makes huge amounts websites like Facebook and Google. In those instances, they're offering you a free 'product' in order to sell their real 'product' (data) to private companies.

I'm amazed that people are still surprised by the fact that Facebook 'knows' you. Of course it does. Every word you post, every click you make and every interaction is recorded, tracked, analysed and predicted....
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you

Oh can't you see
You belong to me...
Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Data mining and data use are enormous industries - selling that data to third parties makes huge amounts websites like Facebook and Google. In those instances, they're offering you a free 'product' in order to sell their real 'product' (data) to private companies.

I'm amazed that people are still surprised by the fact that Facebook 'knows' you. Of course it does. Every word you post, every click you make and every interaction is recorded, tracked, analysed and predicted. This data is then used to make a secondary profile for advertisers. It's illuminating stuff.

Just as a small example, try clicking on this:

https://adssettings.google.com/u/0/authenticated?hl=en

And see what Google thinks you are. I turned mine off years ago so I have no profile and just get served Google ads randomly but the vast majority of you will have a Google footprint and I'll bet in most instances, it'll be fairly accurate. I seem to recall thinking I was a male in my early 30s with interests in music, history and automobiles (which was pretty much right, apart from my age) and serving me ads accordingly. This was based on my Google searches, YouTube watching and Google+.

Facebook will have an even more accurate profile of you that's even more detailed.

This information is available to anybody willing to pay for it. In fact, during the Brexit referendum and US election last year, a company called Cambridge Analytica bought huge swathes of data and was commissioned by the Trump campaign (and Vote Leave for Brexit) to serve ads to swing voters using that information. Nothing illegal about it (the UK has very powerful election ad laws -but because it was all 'offshore' and not officially through campaign accounts, it was legal) and it may have been the deciding factor. Even more terrifyingly, the individuals in charge of these organisations only have to have one qualifying attribute: wealth.

If you think your data isn't being used by the wealthy to manipulate them into positions of power and influence, I'm afraid you're very nave.

I will admit that the Guardian is not the most balanced of papers - but this is perhaps one of the most important pieces of journalism I've read in the last ten years. For the record, I'm a news junkie.

Think about your online footprint and think about the information you're putting out there. I've reasonably minimised my footprint by deleting Facebook, anonymising my Twitter (and having it largely focussed on two topics) and limiting my use of Google to another, non-tracking browser.

You have to assume that everything you do online is tracked and recorded. Because it is.
Thanks for the info. I turned mine off. So many things listed were wrong. Some I have never looked up.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you

Oh can't you see
You belong to me...
This thread had that song stuck in my head. Props for beating me to it!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I found this to be of interest...

https://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_g...ou_might_think
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you

Oh can't you see
You belong to me...
Glad somebody got it. And quickly!

If anybody thinks that's a love song, oh boy...
Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Glad somebody got it. And quickly!

If anybody thinks that's a love song, oh boy...
It's always been about big brother.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

The Internet is a Junk Shop dressed up as an ENcylopedia! If people track your every move for wealth and influence what a sad endictment that is for mankind.It's called stalking people and these same individuals call us Trolls. Ha! So this the future the younger generation are hanging out for, What a F^#@1IG Joke!.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
The Internet is a Junk Shop dressed up as an ENcylopedia! If people track your every move for wealth and influence what a sad endictment that is for mankind.It's called stalking people and these same individuals call us Trolls. Ha! So this the future the younger generation are hanging out for, What a F^#@1IG Joke!.
Hold on soldier, not so fast!

Let's not be defeatist about this. What would those guys defending Stalingrad or flying Spitfires make of that attitude?

We're talking about relatively recent change, the pendelum always swings back, remember? And the harder it swings one way, the harder it comes back the other way...
Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Let's not be defeatist about this. What would those guys defending Stalingrad or flying Spitfires make of that attitude?

We're talking about relatively recent change, the pendelum always swings back, remember? And the harder it swings one way, the harder it comes back the other way...
The Harder they Come , The Harder they Fall , One and All.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Tor and TAILS. There's the future...
Old 08-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I think we are living in an age of increasing cynicism. The only way to defend ourselves against it is to be ever more critical, like almost not believing anything we read, hear or see. I don't want to live in a world like that... every time something is presented to me, the need to be suspicious of a wolf in sheeps skin.

I'm not naive and know that mass manipulation is nothing new. But the complexity of it all now is staggering. It's like you can't make a single move without wondering ow it can be exploited and twisted for the benefit of some nasty types...
Old 08-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think we are living in an age of increasing cynicism. The only way to defend ourselves against it is to be ever more critical, like almost not believing anything we read, hear or see. I don't want to live in a world like that... every time something is presented to me, the need to be suspicious of a wolf in sheeps skin.

I'm not naive and know that mass manipulation is nothing new. But the complexity of it all now is staggering. It's like you can't make a single move without wondering ow it can be exploited and twisted for the benefit of some nasty types...
I'm really not trying to come across as a conspiracy crackpot here. That is the last thing that I want to do and most of the time, I do not pay a second thought to a lot of the nonsense that floats around the various Internet echo-chambers. With that said, the article that I'm quoting above comes from a reputable newspaper known for its investigative journalism. The paper does have an implicit bias towards the political left (as do I) but I still think it's a valuable read for all sides.

It's easier to work on the assumption that everything we do online is recorded and tracked automatically. Government agents in many countries (of all persuasions and political motivations) are able to quickly ascertain what people are looking at and very often, precisely who is doing the looking. Most of the information is just ignored but occasionally an automated system will flag up a particular pattern of activity and flag it for manual review.

That's when the various intelligence agencies' staff get directly involved. All in the name of 'security', usually.

I'm not de-legtimising the need for security and for monitoring. Those tools are absolutely necessary but now practically every government has a wide, un-warranted dragnet on its citizens. It just so happens that private individuals and companies can also purchase high-quality analytical data of their own and run their own algorithms on that data to identify demographics of those that they wish to manipulate (usually by advertising). They might not know your name but they know your habits, your preferences, your patterns and your rough location.

I think that's absolutely bloody terrifying. Certain large companies assist by providing encrypted communications (Apple iMessages, are in-fact encrypted and Apple have actively refused to unlock phones for the US government in the past) to citizens but here in the UK, our Prime Minister is actually lobbying to make end-to-end encryption illegal for the general population. Other than the obvious enforcement issues - the unbelievable overstretch onto civil liberties is utterly unacceptable. Of course, this is in the name of 'security' and I'm told that if I have nothing to hide, I have nothing to fear - but that is absolutely irrelevant. Personally, I'm willing to accept a slightly poorer level of security if it means my day-to-day communications aren't being monitored and if I can secure them.

If that all sounds paranoid, it's because it probably is. It is, however, what is happening. That's why there are people out there writing software that obfuscates communication (like Tor) and attempts to create untrackable OS environments (TAILS). Are they practical for everyday use? No. But I'm just grateful they exist.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:16 PM

GMAIL

Does nobody remember that we used to have to pay for email services before GMAIL came out and offered tons of free storage?

So even if you're not on any social media, if you're using gmail, your words are being filtered and the useful ones extracted. Many times I've seen my online ads change immediately after sending an email that mentioned a product or service.

This is the return Google gets for letting you use GMail.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. The ads even here on Drummerworld have a striking resemblence to stuff I was shopping for recently.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
GMAIL

Does nobody remember that we used to have to pay for email services before GMAIL came out and offered tons of free storage?

So even if you're not on any social media, if you're using gmail, your words are being filtered and the useful ones extracted. Many times I've seen my online ads change immediately after sending an email that mentioned a product or service.

This is the return Google gets for letting you use GMail.
It's an old online adage that if you're being offered a service for free, you are in fact the product. Gmail is no different.