DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Cut the carpet?

This is a new one for me. My drum carpet is about 8" larger than the space my kit takes up- no big deal- you would think.
Vocalist says between sets; "Can you trim back the carpet a bit, my heels are catching on it"?.
After I picked up my jaw, I said to the Princess,;"Cant you move over a little"?

How would you handle this situation??
Old 08-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Cut the carpet?

Set the kit up flush with the front of the carpet - any extra space can be behind you, even folded up a wall a fraction if space is tight.

8" of space can be significant on really small stages. It's one of the reasons I have an internal bass drum mic - to save space in front of the kit.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Administrator

I would trim the singer. I am assuming every stage/platform is not the same size. Put more carpet behind your set and have the front edge right where the front of the bass drum is. No need for the carpet to extend beyond the bass drum.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Buy one of these:

Old 08-23-2017, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Don't allow for any room at the front of your carpet. It'll save you from someone tripping on it and/or getting their foot stuck and pulling on it…knocking over your gear.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 PM

Yeah, I'll give it to the singer in this case. The mat, just as cable spaghetti, are a danger for those who actually have to stand up and walk on the stage, and there's no reason why you should leave a margin of carpet in front of the bass drum.

Just set your kit so that the bass drum legs are at the front edge of the mat next time.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Great ideas, thx a lot, and it gives me a new approach. The carpet I'm using is very expensive and quite old, that's why its not getting trimmed. However, I can buy a cheap round carpet, and trim that to fit like a new haircut.

Problem solved..thx all!

Oh yeah, the cables on stage?...any solutions?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonormapex View Post
Oh yeah, the cables on stage?...any solutions?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxla View Post
Don't allow for any room at the front of your carpet. It'll save you from someone tripping on it and/or getting their foot stuck and pulling on it…knocking over your gear.
You mean people don't lift their feet when walking?
This a ridiculous request from anybody in the band.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

I wouldn't cut the carpet because then it's going to start fraying and make a mess in your car. I setup my kit with my bass drum spurs maybe 1/2 an inch back from the edge of the carpet and I've never had any issues.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
Set the kit up flush with the front of the carpet
Old 08-24-2017, 05:07 AM

Good idea..the 8" sticking out on the sides and the back will give us lots of laughs when the horn section trips!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Gold Member

I have a question for those commenting that you should put your bass drum right at the front of the carpet. Don't you have cymbal or mic stands that are further out from the front of the bass drum? I include that on my carpet because it fits and I have the locations taped. But the main benefit I get is that the carpet stakes out my area. Otherwise the other members tend to encroach on my area during setup making it a challenge to get my stuff in the right place without constantly watching where they put things.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I have a question for those commenting that you should put your bass drum right at the front of the carpet. Don't you have cymbal or mic stands that are further out from the front of the bass drum? I include that on my carpet because it fits and I have the locations taped. But the main benefit I get is that the carpet stakes out my area. Otherwise the other members tend to encroach on my area during setup making it a challenge to get my stuff in the right place without constantly watching where they put things.
Good point. I put my bass drum on the front edge, my cymbal stands are to the side so they fit on the carpet with no issues. In one band we don't mic up the kit, in the other we do but the mic in front of the drum has never been an issue. I suppose the way I look at it is that I set up my stool as far back as I can and then set up the mat accordingly, if we're micing up the kit then it is what it is and no one can grumble about the mic placement because I personally have fitted myself as far back as I can go.
If I DID want to grumble about placement then musical instruments, mics and cables wouldn't be getting discussed, it would be guitar stands and "spare" instruments taking up usable stage space that I'd complain about. But I believe that's a whole other thread.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:19 PM

My main reason to use a mat is to prevent the bass drum from walking away from me. Once that's taken care of, I don't care if the cymbal stands are out of the mat. I haven't felt the need to mark the positions of where things should be on the mat. When my band sets up, we first decide where the drum kit is going to be, and then everyone sets up around it.