DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Revaluating life - want to drop uni and pursue drums

Yeah. Being a master at other instruments isn't the point. It's a litle bit about perspectives of each voice and a lot about simply being practically competent in regards to general harmony and melody.

As an example. Small variations that make new sections of a song effective can come from anywhere.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
Biochemistry. I end up missing as many lectures as possible and making it up before exams. Worked well for me, but it just doesn't excite me
I'm totally sorry to be blunt mate, but you come across as sounding a little lazy, and looking for the path of least resistance in life.

The comment you made about being inexperienced and questioning whether you could get a booking on a cruiser. Well, course you couldn't. The guy who got that booking probably put a huge amount of time, effort, and commitment into acquiring the skills and training necessary to secure that kind of contract which, from the comments you make about your degree course, doesn't appear to be in your nature.

Again, I'm sorry to speak so plainly, but there's nothing that irritates me more than people who seem to have the opportunities I was never lucky enough to have, and seemingly simply can't be arsed to pursue them.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
I'm totally sorry to be blunt mate, but you come across as sounding a little lazy, and looking for the path of least resistance in life.

The comment you made about being inexperienced and questioning whether you could get a booking on a cruiser. Well, course you couldn't. The guy who got that booking probably put a huge amount of time, effort, and commitment into acquiring the skills and training necessary to secure that kind of contract which, from the comments you make about your degree course, doesn't appear to be in your nature.

Again, I'm sorry to speak so plainly, but there's nothing that irritates me more than people who seem to have the opportunities I was never lucky enough to have, and seemingly simply can't be arsed to pursue them.
How so? I even said earlier that I know drumming wouldn't be an easy career, I know it would be hard work, but that I'm willing to consider going for it regardless because I love it.

I actually do revise hard. I miss lectures sometimes because I hate them, and make them up in my own time. I got a first overall this year in my degree. I worked hard to get the grades and get to uni in the first place aswell

I made this post because I KNOW trying to make money from music is anything but the "path of least resistance"

So I've got to uni (a good one, if it matters) and done well in my first year. I understand you aren't just trying to be rude, but it's not particularly nice to be told you're lazy by someone who doesn't know me.

I am currently in the process of speaking to someone who is able to help my with the cruise ship idea, infact he is the manager of entrainment on the ship. It may/probably will lead to nothing, but I am trying. At the very least it's a good source of information.

Last edited by Drumsarefun; 08-29-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsarefun View Post
How so? I even said earlier that I know drumming wouldn't be an easy career, I know it would be hard work, but that I'm willing to consider going for it regardless because I love it.

I actually do revise hard. I miss lectures sometimes because I hate them, and make them up in my own time. I got a first overall this year in my degree. I worked hard to get the grades and get to uni in the first place aswell

I made this post because I KNOW trying to make money from music is anything but the "path of least resistance"

So I've got to uni (top 10 in UK if it's important) and done well in my first year. I understand you aren't just trying to be rude, but it's not particularly nice to be told you're lazy by someone who doesn't know me.

I am currently in the process of speaking to someone who is able to help my with the cruise ship idea, infact he is the manager of entrainment on the ship. It may/probably will lead to nothing, but I am trying. At the very least it's a good source of information.
"I miss lectures because I hate them". It's that mate, right there.

I've never questioned your intelligence. I don't doubt it for a second. I'm pretty intelligent and hard working but never had the opportunity to go to University as you have had (I got the grades). So it irks when people are, like "pff, I can't be arsed with it....I might knock it on the head and go do some other dreamy bollocks.....hmm I fancy being a pro drummer" :-)

There's quite a bit about drumming and music which is hated. The travel. The being away from home. The lugging heavy crap around. Often playing music which you hate.

I did the kind of gig yesterday which I absolutely despise. Lugging my gear around a busy venue, setting up, tearing down, for a half hour gig playing cover songs (which I despise). Got two whopping blisters. Never even got bought a drink (did it as a favour to our guitarist). Unpaid. On Bank Holiday Monday. And a very hot day and I'm a very large bloke.

I could have skipped it.

Good luck however you tackle it mate. I'm a grumpy sod today (three gigs this weekend has totally floored me). I'm sure you're not as lazy as I suggest you are. If you want to pursue a career in drumming listen to the professional drummers on here. They know what they're talking about.