DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: What is wrong with Guitar Center's used drum advertising?

The GC's up here in the bay area vary widely in terms of stock and expertise.

San Jose is now a Destination drum shop.

Some nice high end kits; Yamaha recording custom and a Mapex Saturn maple walnut (which sounds great).

Cymbals are hit and miss.

Snares are pretty much the same.

There's a guy by the name of Sid that runs the dept and has been around quite a few drum shops over the years ,so he's pretty knowledgeable.

He's around my age and I don't get how he can afford to live on a GC wage in San Jose.

Most of the other GC's are not so hot,the one up in SF is kind of a joke.

Had a snare drum on layaway that had the wrong pickup date on the receipt so it was a wasted trip and I couldn't find anybody in the drum dept to pay for it when I went to pick it up.

It was in their system wrong so they couldn't ring it up.

The manager did apologize and had it shipped to my house with new heads ,so they do some things right.

You would figure it's SF,but the parking and traffic are just horrific up there and the cost to live in SF is just staggering these days because of all the tech money.

These guys must sell dope or something on the side to make ends meet.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belairien View Post
I did get a great deal on a NEW cymbal because of their poor training. A Paiste T20 Prototype ride for 95 bucks. If I recall correctly, its a proto of a Twenty series ride. It was marked down because it was a prototype. No issues with it and I still have it. Probably the best deal on a b20 cymbal new you could ask for.
They did have a Paiste prototype sale a few years ago that went like this,buy one at 50% off ,get the 2nd one free.
I picked up a pair of t20 13 inch high hats for $185 out the door.

You do get some winners.

I was up at the San Mateo store a few years ago and got this COB DW with diecast hoops for $150 bucks.

Another one of those don't need it ,but...
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post

You would figure it's SF,but the parking and traffic are just horrific up there and the cost to live in SF is just staggering these days because of all the tech money.

These guys must sell dope or something on the side to make ends meet.
I would just assume any knowledgeable person in any music store probably gigs a lot.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
I would just assume any knowledgeable person in any music store probably gigs a lot.
I used to be a starving musician back in the day and most players barely break even up here in the bay area.

Most live music venues are given' it up to DJ's.

$4 or $500 bucks split one way is way better than split 4 ways (if you can get that).

Rent in SF averages about $3500 bucks/mo for a 1 bedroom.

SJ ain't much different or you can go the route of the Ghost ship warehouse living and take your chances of being burned up or being evicted for living there.

Last edited by pgm554; 08-14-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

I don't really have a problem with the GC in my area.

I do have a problem with a lot of the things I see listed on the main GC site -
almost all of them having to do with used items.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 AM

I have a lovely Guitar Center Story:

I bought a used cymbal online from Guitar Center that was in "Excellent Condition."

Got it in the mail and there were no cracks, keyhole damage or dings that I saw. Put it up on a stand in front of a light and boom! Quite flea-bite on the edge that I missed upon initial inspection.

So I called, took it back and showed the clerk what I found. He apologized and refunded me the cost and shipping.

Not a bad end to the story, right??? WRONG

I got online today and saw my cymbal for sale for the same price in "Excellent condition!"

How is that even possible?

Needless to say, I will never buy another piece of gear from them again as they have proven to be dishonest!

Buddy Rich
Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
But, those are the employees responsible for generating revenue. They're the face of the company to everyone who walks in with money to spend. The quality of those employees makes all the difference in how successful a company can be, and it's definitely showing.

Bermuda
Well, that would make sense, but some 40 years of growth have proven otherwise.

GC went from one store, to a handful of stores, to a publicly trade mega company, to being attractive enough to be bought out by Baine all on this principle of not giving a darn about it's employees.

The perception of low prices and the constant advertising of "sales, sales, sales" and "this weekend only..." and such bring in more playing customers than just having competent employees (at least in their minds), and has since the 80's.

The amount of money they lose due to poor employees pales to the cost associated with actually paying their employees to know what they're doing (at least, in their minds).

GC's only financial issues are related to how Baine Capital financed it's buyout.
If not for the corporate debt, they'd be considered highly profitable.

It's not just a GC issue, the same philosophy is used by many large retail chains. Walmart, McDonalds, etc, etc.

Also, GC isn't a musical instrument retail company. They're a sales organization. Music instruments is just a means to sales.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I needed a new handheld recorder to record my gigs with, as mine had gotten stolen a couple gigs ago. Walked into my local GC with the notion of getting in and out, I know what I want.

The guy in pro audio was educating a woman on wireless handheld mics...so I try and be patient, but I have to leave for a gig in like 5 minutes...the guy must have read my body language, and I kind of interuppted the customer, and said, I'm sorry but I have to get to a gig and I need to just buy this one thing. She was cool, and the guy called someone to pick it from the cage. After a few minutes of nobody returning with it, I took matters into my own hands and told the manager," Look I have to go, if you want to make a sale right now, you should take care of me, I'm in a little bit of a hurry."

Long story short, I got sold a used recorder. I didn't have time to check it out, I just left. When I went to play back my recording on the drive home....the friggin microphones stayed on during playback. I had this massive feedback happening....in my van! I was like Whaaaat??? Lol.

I exchanged it the next day and they were out of new stock so I got the floor demo. I probably could have tried to talk the manager down, but it only cost 100 bucks. It works fine. F them. Online is the way to go and TBH I don't care if those places fail. I don't need them, I just need a source to get what I want from. Give me online shopping and free delivery. I can educate myself about the products thank you very much. My time is precious to me. Online, I can compare multiple places and prices for the same piece of equipment. No employees to deal with that I know more than them. It's become a no brainer, shopping online.

Cymbals are the only thing...What this world needs are dedicated cymbal stores. Memphis Drum Shop had the biggest cymbal selection I ever personally saw. I went ear blind after a while, too many choices. Not complaining.

If the GC's were all that, then yea, I'd go there.

But they suck.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
A local drum shop, what's left of it now told me two years ago GC was going to get out of the drum business altogether. I really wish they would. Either do business the right way, or get out of it. Had they done that two years ago, I would have had at least two more local shops to hit up, but only one limping one remains. I think they will be gone before long, and GC will finally decide to pull the plug, leaving most communities with no drum shops. Hell, GC doesn't even carry my sticks anymore, so I'm having less and less reasons to go in.
Much like Guitars, Etc. here in Tucson did. They used to be an all around music store, but quickly learned drums are the bastard children for music retailers & pulled the plug.
Now they just specialize in Keyboards, guitars, basses, amplification & mixing equipment.

The GC we have here hasn't had a "Drum Tech" in 2+ years. Literally no one in that room to help anyone looking to buy drums or gear. When a parent comes in looking for drum stuff for their kids' school band or whatnot, it's usually someone in Pro Audio or the accessories desk that comes to help.
This puts the parent on the ropes as they're dealing with someone who knows nothing about the very product the parent is after. After being overcharged for a substandard product, they get pissed off & never come back.
CG could care less though as the money they saved in payroll made up for the bad sale.

And so the vicious cycle continues...
Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderRoss View Post
Much like Guitars, Etc. here in Tucson did. They used to be an all around music store, but quickly learned drums are the bastard children for music retailers & pulled the plug.
Now they just specialize in Keyboards, guitars, basses, amplification & mixing equipment.

The GC we have here hasn't had a "Drum Tech" in 2+ years. Literally no one in that room to help anyone looking to buy drums or gear. When a parent comes in looking for drum stuff for their kids' school band or whatnot, it's usually someone in Pro Audio or the accessories desk that comes to help.
This puts the parent on the ropes as they're dealing with someone who knows nothing about the very product the parent is after. After being overcharged for a substandard product, they get pissed off & never come back.
CG could care less though as the money they saved in payroll made up for the bad sale.

And so the vicious cycle continues...
We had an "old" style store in Tempe, up to last month. The store was recently moved to a new location with "super store" status. The only difference I see is the old drum department used to be an actual department with drums on the floor and a live person behind the counter. The new one has one drum set behind a glass doors, which prevents the chaos when someone feels they need to do a 60 minute solo as loud as they can. That's a nice change. The rest is negative. They now have no one in the area and all drums are on shelves with the nicest on top, where you can't get to them. I think I can see them better in Internet pics. I actually don't see anything super store about it, other than the claimed title!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I actually don't see anything super store about it, other than the claimed title!
And that's all it'll ever be to those who knew them back when.

Stores like GC are setting the new standard for what the masses think a music shop should be. They'll never know the personalized service once given back in the day.

Sad.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Another great GC used buy.
I told these guys down at the SJ store that it's not a ride cymbal in the pic,but still...
And those hi hats are long gone.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Another great GC used buy.
I told these guys down at the SJ store that it's not a ride cymbal in the pic,but still...
And those hi hats are long gone.
I see things like this frequently. Like having the same red pearl forum shown for the green export, or the same crash shown for 3 rides and a China...
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

I never did figure out what was with all the noise. When I worked in musical instrument sales it was rare that someone was allowed to play on the kits. You get a feel for it and then you get off. I went to the GC by my house, it's right on the way home from work for me, and the sound of all these teenagers playing drum solos was awful.

How is that a good business practice? You're depreciating the merchandise and using up heads and kits that could be sold off in the store. The only other Mom and Pop shop in my area it just awful. The owner is rude and the place smells like urine. I go to GC when I need consumables right away or for used gear. Everything else I score on Craiglist/pawn shops or online.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 08-15-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
The Fountain Valley store SUUUUUUCKS! There's never anyone working in the drum dept, and the stick rack is just a disorganized crapfest.
The stick rack! LOL yeah I always check the stick racks because my Vic Firths in black always seem to be sold out. Holy I was mix and matching. Basically sold out of all my favorites anyway. Just a million Zildjian dip sticks in every color like left over candy...
Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, I think GC is simply understaffed, and I've noticed this decline in the past decade. Granted, I live 1.5 hours away from the closest GC or Sam Ash, and they always have like one person who mans the recording gear and keyboard room. There's another guy who mans the huge "wall o'guitars," amps, and acoustic guitars. There may be someone in the drum room but probably not. There's never anyone with the DJ equipment and lighting, and there's not anyone on the floor out front.

Knowing this, I'm not surprised at all with GC's crummy pictures and vague/inaccurate descriptions of their "used gear" section of the website. I can't imagine having to deal with the amount of volume they do with trade-ins.

One thing that's nice though is I'm pretty sure they ship from from store to store, so you can go to a GC to pick-up and inspect your item. I know you have to pay for it, but you can instantly return it if it doesn't work for you. It makes it less of a gamble.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

Sort of. Depending on how the wind blows, you'll likely still get stuck with shipping charges. There had better be something glowingly wrong with it, because anything less and they will say it's your responsibility to confirm condition and stick you with shipping.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

The used things I ordered had free to store shipping. I guess they just throw it on their delivery trucks after restocking and the next store gets it with their stock. Takes forever that way.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Bermuda, if you become Manager at a GC I will come work for you! :)

I agree with most sentiments here, what once was a great store with oodles of stock out on the floor and dedicated ppl running the drum dept has whittled down to what can be considered an after-thought.

The GC in NJ by me is an absolute disgrace. The most organized things in the drum section are the Latin instruments and drumheads - everything else is disorganized and looking like it was over-abused... especially the electronic kits. I hardly visit the place since I have a favorite mom-and-pop by my house but if I pass along the highway I'll stop into the GC for giggles to tap on some stuff or kill some time... and of the last like 10 times I've been there, there is no staff member present in the drum dept, just 5-6 employees swirling around the guitars and live sound sections. It's pretty disheartening.

And yes their pricing scheme is terrible. Even those holiday coupons or "get your favorite gear" now flash sales are too restricted on the products that actually apply for the coupon. Just let the whole damn site be open to the coupon and you'll have my money!

Lastly, to get ON topic for a second - I find that once in a while their Used stuff online has the same pictures for different but related products of the same brand (e.g., the same pic for a 16" and 17" AAX crash)... really people?.. it's not that hard to take a picture and post it online for each item lol.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:47 PM

I was at GC, and I was trying to demo a DW Collector's Maple kit on display, but the employee said that "I'm not allowed to play the kit" which is BS. Most of their drums aren't tuned correctly anyway.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

to me Ebay is still the king of used gear, although they're increasing fees, and poor treatment of the sellers has dramatically reduced the selection. Their feedback system is second to none, the photos and descriptions are generally really good, and if you get screwed you can let people know about it and get it resolved in their "court".

GC used seems to have a good selection of used gear, but it seems more like a pawn shop, with poor descriptions/photos, no way to really know the condition of the items, and the shipping costs are unknown until you actually check out, which I hate. They have some real low prices on some good stuff sometimes, but that's mostly because of ignorance, they hosed somebody they bought the gear from, or it's in real bad shape. Even though I've seen some things on there I wanted, I couldn't ever go through with it, and a lot of times I was able to find the same thing on ebay for a similar price, yet I knew more precisely what I was getting, and who was selling it. Personally, I still prefer going to a store (luckily I still have a good drum shop in a nearby city), but it's too far to drive for minor things, so I'm stuck with the online thing most of the time.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
Bermuda, if you become Manager at a GC I will come work for you! :)
I'm flattered, and I'd hire you!

The problem runs a little deeper than just getting good people behind the counter. Corporate policies have their hands tied in a few ways. Also, even the best people can't accommodate their customers if there's not the right product in stock.

There are so many things they allow to work against them. It would be so easy to become the big dog on the block, which they intended to be, and mistakenly think they are... online competition notwithstanding. I'd love to sit down with them and explain what it takes to get people to come in, spend money, and stay loyal. But they haven't asked.

They won't ask.

Because they don't know that they don't know.

Bermuda
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Not to derail the focus here, but a comparison.

As bad as the local GC looks and behaves to the customer, the Sam Ash store in the same trade area makes the GC store look like a Nordstrom.

SA is disheveled, un-manned and a ghost town most of the time. No one is stationed in the drum section. Plus, SA's prices are almost always higher than GC or Musician's Friends.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldie View Post
SA is disheveled, un-manned and a ghost town most of the time. No one is stationed in the drum section. Plus, SA's prices are almost always higher than GC or Musician's Friends.
I suppose it depends on the particular store. But I've found their prices to be consistently lower than GC's. I have both within 10 minutes of me, and I always make SA my first stop. Better selection of parts & hardware, and typically more knowledgeable staff, too.

Again, it depends on the store. There good GCs as well.

Bermuda
Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldie View Post
Not to derail the focus here, but a comparison.

As bad as the local GC looks and behaves to the customer, the Sam Ash store in the same trade area makes the GC store look like a Nordstrom.

SoCal? The Sam Ash in Torrance is great especially when James is in the drum dept. Real dude. Knows his shit. In a legitimate band. General good dude all around.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Again, it depends on the store. There good GCs as well.

Bermuda
The Drum Dept. GC in Sherman Oaks was really good for a while. It was being run by a drummer, gator wrestler, and all-around good guy named Kenny Dale, nephew of Doug "The Ragin' Cajun" Kershaw. He is one amazing drummer.

One day, he either left or moved into upper management. Nobody knows. It hasn't been the same since.

They used to have their Drum Dept. upstairs, but went through a major remodel, and now they're downstairs.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm flattered, and I'd hire you!

The problem runs a little deeper than just getting good people behind the counter. Corporate policies have their hands tied in a few ways. Also, even the best people can't accommodate their customers if there's not the right product in stock.

There are so many things they allow to work against them. It would be so easy to become the big dog on the block, which they intended to be, and mistakenly think they are... online competition notwithstanding. I'd love to sit down with them and explain what it takes to get people to come in, spend money, and stay loyal. But they haven't asked.

They won't ask.

Because they don't know that they don't know.

Bermuda
Yeah, I find the help at my local drum store pretty good if transient, however they more often than not don't have what I want in stock, and when they do it tends to exhorbitantly priced. They have a decent selection of snares and cymbals, double pedals, kits and sticks(except brushes and mallets). If you see what I mean. Things like 1/4 in hihat clutches, djembe mounts, guiro mounts, ultra thin bass drum heads, brass chime tamborine, not so much.

I think it's pretty standard for a percussionist looking for that unique sound to not find things in a commodity oriented store.

As larryace noted the electronics department also sucks. They don't put the equipment specs where you can read them, so you have to ask for store help that is peretually overwhelmed. I was looking for four channel recording devices so I could go stereo+bass+snare (not a four track mixer), they kept trying to sell me 4 track mixers. Just because it has four connections doesn't mean it is four channel.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:28 PM

This thread actually gave me a nightmare about Guitar Center, and I think it was rooted in certain realities, possibly inspired by a recent purchase where they had to get a used kit down from a high shelf.

In the nightmare, this GC had a really high ceiling. A piece of gear was chained to the ceiling. Upon closer inspection, it was a Korg SQD-1 sequencer that I had sold to them during rough times. Why not buy it back?

The first stressful part of the nightmare was that I could not find ANYONE to get that piece down from the ceiling. I was the only customer and couldn't find help. Finally, I get a ladder and start to go up to get it myself.

The second and final act came when I got to the top of the ladder, when I look down at there's about 16 people lining up to wait their turn for purchases.

Woke up in a sweat. It was just too real.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

Another prime example of why you can't trust GCs Excellent Condition statements
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PDP...t-113356624.gc
Old 08-25-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I think by "Excellent", they meant for it to be read in Montgomery Burns' voice from The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhATSQHw9k
Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
That looks to be in supreme condition!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:07 AM

I recently went to Guitar Center to exchange an Evans G2 batter head that the sales rep sold me as a resonant head. I wasn't aware that it was a batter head when I bought it. Anyway, the guy tried selling me a Remo Pinstripe batter as a resonant head, he also asked me if I wanted clear or coated for the bottom head. I was like "Dude, you know all resonant heads are clear right?". After a few minutes, searching for an Evans head, he finally offers me an Evans Genera Reso. Like seriously, he should've offered me that in the first place instead of the clear batter head, he keeps offering me. He should have known that reso stands for resonant. I wouldn't have gone through all this trouble trying to find a resonant head if the guy had sold me the right one. Guitar Center needs more employees that are more experienced, cause this is getting quite annoying. This is the second time I had to go through Guitar Center's inexperienced employees.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicFirthDrummer420 View Post
I recently went to Guitar Center to exchange an Evans G2 batter head that the sales rep sold me as a resonant head.
It's sad that when you go to most Guitar Centers, you have to already know what you want. You can't expect useful advice or info from the person behind the counter. They're there to ring up purchases, or check stock if needed, and that's apparently it. I know of one exception, the Hollywood Store, where Guy really knows his stuff. There must be some others... somewhere... I suppose.

If I need to know something about an intended purchase, I research it myself, and then research which store has it. If both GC and Sam Ash carry it, I go to Sam Ash first for the better price. :)

Bermuda
Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicFirthDrummer420 View Post
... he also asked me if I wanted clear or coated for the bottom head. I was like "Dude, you know all resonant heads are clear right?"
Not true. All resonant heads need to be single-ply in order to get excited enough to produce a sustaining note when not struck directly. Which is why the G2 (a 2-ply head) doesn't work for that. But plenty of people use coated Ambassadors or equivalent as resonant heads, which produces a slightly warmer tone than an equivalent clear single-ply resonant.

Regardless, you really have to know your sh*t before buying anything these days. You can't expect the person behind the counter to give good advice, unless they're at a highly reputable store, like Pro Drums Hollywood. But it's so easy to look up stuff like this before making a purchase, there's really no excuse not to.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Not true. All resonant heads need to be single-ply in order to get excited enough to produce a sustaining note when not struck directly. Which is why the G2 (a 2-ply head) doesn't work for that. But plenty of people use coated Ambassadors or equivalent as resonant heads, which produces a slightly warmer tone than an equivalent clear single-ply resonant.

Regardless, you really have to know your sh*t before buying anything these days. You can't expect the person behind the counter to give good advice, unless they're at a highly reputable store, like Pro Drums Hollywood. But it's so easy to look up stuff like this before making a purchase, there's really no excuse not to.
Ah, I see. I used a coated batter head as a resonant head before, and it didn't work out well. Also, I usually do a lot research, so it has become native for me.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post

I also told the guy that resonant heads are 1 ply.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
It's sad that when you go to most Guitar Centers, you have to already know what you want. You can't expect useful advice or info from the person behind the counter. They're there to ring up purchases, or check stock if needed, and that's apparently it. I know of one exception, the Hollywood Store, where Guy really knows his stuff. There must be some others... somewhere... I suppose.

If I need to know something about an intended purchase, I research it myself, and then research which store has it. If both GC and Sam Ash carry it, I go to Sam Ash first for the better price. :)

Bermuda
I was originally going to buy a Remo Ambassador Resonant head, but the guy said it was out of stock. He kept offering me 2 ply clear batter heads, and a Remo Pinstripe batter. I explained to him a bunch of times that a resonant head is 1 ply, until he offered me a Evans Genera Reso which sounds great, by the way.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

Usually reso heads are 1 ply. But I have used clear emps on the reso side of my toms with good results. Had Aquarian performance 2s on the batter (at the recommendation of a local store).

Its no excuse for them trying to sell you what you didn't want. Just pointing out its not set in stone what can be used.