DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Default Looking for conga sound sample specifically tuned

Hello to ya all,

I have been drumming for quite some years now but lately I am experimenting more and more with a hybrid setup using Roland SPD-SX.
For this reason I was looking on the internet for a conga sound sample but specifically tuned to E and B in order to sound in harmony to the rest of the song.
But here I am stuck. I suppose a conga can be tuned to a specific range of notes, but it seems impossible to find either that specific sound or - having a sample sound to start with - to get this tuned into E or B (or transponed into that note).
Anybody have any ideas to help me out?

Thx

Mav
Old 08-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Looking for conga sound sample specifically tuned

Very simple to adjust the pitch in an audio program, and load back into the SPD-SX. In fact, you can use the sample from the Roland, I suggest the P-congaProcLow, which you can take from the CD that came with the unit. It's an F# and would make a nice E and B, regardless which you want lower. :)
Old 08-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Here's that sample pitched to E (low) and B. Enjoy!

The sample has a little bend to it, so the pitch isn't absolute all the way through, but that's the nature of most drums. :)
Attached Files
File Type: wav Conga_Low-E.wav (188.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: wav Conga_Hi-B.wav (124.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Wow, thx bermuda. I appreciate this.

May I ask how you managed to achieve this in such short time? I mean, first of all how did you figure out which note the original was tuned to? I was already stuck at that point, let alone I should have been able to transpose...

Thx for explaining

Regards,
Mav
Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 PM

It's a very fast process, takes longer to explain than just do it (which is why I did.)

Most importantly, I had the Roland's samples in the computer, so it was just a question of auditioning the 3 congas and seeing which had the best tone to make a note. One was a slap, one had a strange dual tone, and the ProcLow had the right potential.

I figured out the note by opening a handy piano app on my iPad, and fishing around till I found the pitch. There's a maximum of 12 possibilities, so it didn't take long. Happily, it was almost exactly an F#, so I didn't have to struggle to get to another note. I've always used Sound Forge, which is a very versatile program. Audacity is free, and has a super easy pitch change function, you literally choose the starting note, and select the desired note.

Again, much faster to do than to explain. :)

This is also why drummers need to embrace some basic technology. I've been working with samples since about 1989, so it's second nature to me.

Bermuda
Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Thx again bermuda

Think I'll look further into the matter which is indeed very interesting. Even - or especially - for drummers.

Mav