DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Open Handed Jazz Drummers?

Hi! During the last month all my practice time has been left lead improvement.

My schedule includes swing coordination from The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley.

Anyway, I have a bad habbit to loose the interest and it keeps the motivation up to see other drummers execute it. Especially the masters.

So do you got some tips of drummers with videos who play alot of swing based jazz open handed?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Open Handed Jazz Drummers?

Lenny White
Billy Cobham

Cheers
Mick
Old 08-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Will Kennedy...

Old 08-09-2017, 05:11 PM

Thanks alot for the replies. Didn't realize Lenny White is such a beast at the bop tradition n a gold mine during my Youtube marathon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjGJLdT3dGk&t=1103s for example.

Cobham too of course. Especially the Hancock,Carter Concert. Couldn't find so much except for more modern Jazz/Fusion from Kennedy though.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Don't forget Simon Phillips.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Lenny White and Billy Cobham, if you can find video of them playing bebop that way. There's a Portland drummer who plays that way and is good.

It's kind of a pointless exercise in jazz drumming especially. The whole reason for doing it is so you can hit the tom toms while you play the hihat, but jazz drumsets are usually small enough that you can do that anyway, if there's ever a time that it's appropriate (usually it isn't). Good jazz drummers typically spend a lot of time developing their cymbal technique, and don't just randomly move the cymbal rhythm to another limb. There's several decades worth of stuff to work on in jazz I personally would be prioritizing ahead of this.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Lenny White and Billy Cobham, if you can find video of them playing bebop that way. There's a Portland drummer who plays that way and is good.

It's kind of a pointless exercise in jazz drumming especially. The whole reason for doing it is so you can hit the tom toms while you play the hihat, but jazz drumsets are usually small enough that you can do that anyway, if there's ever a time that it's appropriate (usually it isn't). Good jazz drummers typically spend a lot of time developing their cymbal technique, and don't just randomly move the cymbal rhythm to another limb. There's several decades worth of stuff to work on in jazz I personally would be prioritizing ahead of this.
I agree to the extent if you want to be a professional open handed jazz drummer. That's not my purpose though.

For example 1 of the greats Aaron Spears got so much ambidexterity that he can lead and land on the one with both hands.

The aspiration is to expand the vocabulary through uncomfortable exercises so I can express the musical ideas I want. And it's feels fresh n fun to play like a child again.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Don't forget Simon Phillips.
Definitely not. Unbelievable monster god!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarobi View Post
I agree to the extent if you want to be a professional open handed jazz drummer. That's not my purpose though.

For example 1 of the greats Aaron Spears got so much ambidexterity that he can lead and land on the one with both hands.

The aspiration is to expand the vocabulary through uncomfortable exercises so I can express the musical ideas I want. And it's feels fresh n fun to play like a child again.
I get that. But now you know why you don't see many videos of masters playing that way.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Definitely not. Unbelievable monster god!
One of my top 5 regardless of grip or style.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

I saw lenny white with mike Stern at Montreux jazz festival last month. Lenny is a lefty playing righty setup. Definitely an open handed player. Since I'm a lefty and setup, was weird watching him play with the ride on his left with the hats. Incredible player...

Quote:
Hi! During the last month all my practice time has been left lead improvement.

My schedule includes swing coordination from The Art of Bop Drumming by John Riley.

Anyway, I have a bad habbit to loose the interest and it keeps the motivation up to see other drummers execute it. Especially the masters.

So do you got some tips of drummers with videos who play alot of swing based jazz open handed?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
I get that. But now you know why you don't see many videos of masters playing that way.
Of Course! I don't want to start an debacle with you!

During the last 3 month of practicing all the inversions of all the paradiddles left handed in unison with the kick in unison and HH both in 16th n triplets has improved my vocabulary already.

I get your point obviously but now I got a epiphany of Lenny White for example which keeps me motivated to keep on practicing. That's the point. I'm a lazy MF with a passion for pracicing for musically development, and will never stagnate so why not?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:02 PM

Another open handed player I haven't seem mentioned yet is Rayford Griffin. I saw him with Jean Luc Ponty a number of years ago. Great player.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Check out Daniel Humair. He plays a left-handed set open-handed. Outstanding player. There's a clip of him playing uptempo bop on this site that is so amazing that they actually show it in slow-mo so you can see what he's doing.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 PM

Thanks alot for all support! I will surely check out your recommendations:)