DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Freddie Gruber - GURU

what qualities does someone have to have to be the teacher, yes the teacher of people like buddy rich and niel peart as well as a list of literally the top thirty drummers in the world? look at this man's page on drummers world and be blown away by who he's tutored. this guy must win the prize for being the absolute and ultimate DRUMMING GURU.
any thoughts?
j
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...ie_Gruber.html

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 08-16-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: freddy gruber - GURU

can someone PLEAASEEEEE find me a video of this guy playing drumset.....i wanna see :( i can't find any
Old 08-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
this guy must win the prize for being the absolute and ultimate DRUMMING GURU.
Yes, Freddie is just outstanding...
really, an
ULTIMATE DRUM GURU
All my respect to his incredible work, I would love to have a lesson from him, hey, well, at least standing in one room with him would be awsome :))
He is on the top of the list of my ''must see'' drummers list, I hope I will see him someday

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Ok so:

Want to take a short lesson with the teacher of Buddy Rich - Dave Weckl - Greg Bissonette - Danny Gottlieb - Peter Erskine - Anton Fig - Neil Peart - Steve Smith - Adam Nussbaum - Kenny Aronoff - Richie Garcia - Clayton Cameron - Rod Morgenstein - Jim Keltner - John Guerin???!!!!

Here's a new video - just for the members of Drummerworld Forum...

But you will see no drumming - just explaining - enjoy:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Clinic/Freddie_Gruber.html

Bernhard
Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Freddie Gruber - GURU

Terrific! That clip was like watching a martial arts master explain a kata.

(but I silll want to see him drum!)
Old 08-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Administrator

i get the impression that freddy's strength as a drum teacher is not so much in what he could teach us in a DVD - and i'm sure he could teach loads - but rather in his one to one analysis of a drummer's approach. i think he is at his best watching you drum and then telling you how you could get even better. a real teacher for pros.

j

Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 PM

Did Freddie teach Buddy Rich? How about did Henry Adler teach Buddy?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Didnt Chapin teach Gruber the Moeller Technique?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:02 PM

Gruber did not teach Buddy.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Senior Administrator

he did actually. look at his DW site.

j

Old 08-17-2005, 11:49 PM

In the Buddy Rich book Traps they say Freddie was a close friend of Buddy's
Old 08-18-2005, 09:48 PM

If anyone taught the other, it was Gruber watching Buddy....maybe Gruber told Buddy something about notation, NOT about technique. Might explain the "consultant" thing.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:31 PM

I think Chapin taught Gruber the moeller methods.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:45 AM
jdc999

As far as Henry Adler is concerned, I asked him recently and he told me never taught Buddy how to play. He gave him some lessons on reading music, but that was it.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:43 AM

I watched the clip of Gruber's clinic, hoping to see him play even one stroke, but he just teases you. He talks as if he is talking to children, which, combined with the extremely vague explanations, makes for a very irritating session. If you watch any of the technique masters, like Morello of chapin, they just can't stop playing, and their exuberance is just overflowing. But this guy shows us nothing.

I hugely prefer Dom Famularo's approach: cheerful, straight forward, and full of playing examples. Granted, In three short "cyber lessons" Dom explains the grips. If Gruber taught some of the masters of today, I bow my head in deferrence, his genious just does not show on this video. FD
Old 09-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkydew
I watched the clip of Gruber's clinic, hoping to see him play even one stroke, but he just teases you. He talks as if he is talking to children, which, combined with the extremely vague explanations, makes for a very irritating session. If you watch any of the technique masters, like Morello of chapin, they just can't stop playing, and their exuberance is just overflowing. But this guy shows us nothing.

I hugely prefer Dom Famularo's approach: cheerful, straight forward, and full of playing examples. Granted, In three short "cyber lessons" Dom explains the grips. If Gruber taught some of the masters of today, I bow my head in deferrence, his genious just does not show on this video. FD
Well, there are many teachers but Freddie seems to be different. He's a coach for pros, not a teacher...he starts, where the teachers end. Dave Weckl changed his playing 180 degrees. He take a look at a drummer and give some advice. Seems to work with worldclass drummers

Bernhard
Old 09-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Thinshells

Freddie taught Steve Smith, and turned him from a superb drummer, to a master. Neil Peart was amazed at the improvement and asked Steve: "What's your secret?"

Steve said "Freddie"

And Neil went on to learn the mechanics that happen before the drum pedal or stick hits the drum. Oribital technicques and many other things to refine his style.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:44 PM

I watched the clip and didnt understand what he meant.

I agree. Dom is very clear and respectful.

Why wouldn't someone like Peart go to Morello or Chapin is beyond me.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:49 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMunsey
I watched the clip and didnt understand what he meant.

I agree. Dom is very clear and respectful.

Why wouldn't someone like Peart go to Morello or Chapin is beyond me.
Maybe because Gruber offers a way to analyse and implement improvements in their own playing styles rather than teaching from a particular school? Gruber also seems to be more kit-focused than, say, Chapin who talks a lot more about technique as a very isolated, pad focused thing on everything I've seen.

I have nothing against either of them, but I think I get was Gruber was hitting at in that clip. I will write more about it in the morning, have to sleep now and then take my car to the mechanic when I get up.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Does Freddie have any books out? Videos?
Old 09-10-2005, 08:20 AM

I saw this guy on the Weckl video and don't have a clue what the man is talking about
Old 09-10-2005, 06:20 PM

You are not alone, don't know if he can convey the education to all drummers well
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 AM

Dude you guys need to pay more attention. He is explaining that the proper height that you hold your stick at. When your arms are relaxed then you bring your arm up where your forearm is parallel to the ground basically. This is your natural posistion so you do not have your arms in an unnatural position which causes increased strain and fatigue. I am not sure why freddy explained that because Dave said the same thing right before.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:30 AM

What did Freddie teach Buddy Rich? Who often did Buddy go for lessons with Freddie?

Just curious - did Freddie ever play clinics or play in a band?

How much does he charge for lessons?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Pioneer Member

It seems to me like Freddie teaches at a much higher level than other educators. Many of the drummers that have come to him for advice already have an extensive knowledge of technique, so he probably doesn't teach the basics very often. That could be why it's hard for some people to understand what he's talking about.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:28 PM

I was lucky enough to study with Freddie as a teenager. Freddie was close to the family of my best friend from high school.

Freddie is not, himself, a great drummer. He hung out with a lot of great drummers (foremost Buddy Rich) and figured out how to communicate technique to other drummers. The things I learned from Freddie at a young age have served me very well throughout my life. I'm really grateful I had that opportunity.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc999
As far as Henry Adler is concerned, I asked him recently and he told me never taught Buddy how to play. He gave him some lessons on reading music, but that was it.

I studied with Henry Adler for 3 years and I agree. Henry always said he watched Buddy and developed his hand technique based on that. He gave him some reading lessons, but Henry always described Buddy as a natural.

By the way, it's been years since I've seen Henry. Sounds like you've spoken with him. How is he doing? He was such a nice gentleman when I studied with him.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Stu_Strib

Completely unrelated to Freddie;

What are those rims on that DW called? I saw those at a store recently on a collector's kit. I must have them!

DW website doesn't mention them anywhere.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Ok so:

Want to take a short lesson with the teacher of Buddy Rich
http://www.drummerworld.com/Clinic/Freddie_Gruber.html

Bernhard
That first one really gets me. According to Joe Morello (whom I studied with for 18 months) Freddy was Buddy's gofer/assistant not a peer of his. When I mentioned that Freddy's site on DW states that he taught Buddy, he almost exploded.

Does anyone here honestly think that Freddy Gruber actually TAUGHT Buddy Rich??!!

That is pure revisionist history.

Freddy is a great teacher/coach obviously, but the Buddy Rich thing is a total fabrication.

Here it is in black and white: ANYONE WHO SAYS THEY TAUGHT BUDDY IS LYING!!!!

That is right from Joe Morello's mouth.

What Freddy did is observe Buddy and learn about how the hands and body move. There are many drummers (among them Joe Morello my past teacher and Dom Famularo my current teacher) who feel that Freddy went too far in promoting the Buddy connection. Freddy learned from Buddy not the other way around. That is why guys like me and Dr. Power Stroke (another Famularo student) bristle at the mention of his name and his supposed "developments" like the middle finger fulcrum. Jim Chapin has been teaching that stuff for years. Just check out his video.

Last edited by Jeff Almeyda; 02-04-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Knevildrummer - I see no problem at all - everythings ok and everybodys happy...
It's normal for living legends to make some legends with other legends. If teaching or only correcting, fact is, that Buddy himself stated, that Freddie helped him a lot....and he didn't mean carrying drums...

How is Joe going? Did you take a lesson just these days or last month. I'm still waiting of some feedback from Joe regarding some website-linking, give him greetings please...

Bernhard
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Knevildrummer - I see no problem at all - everythings ok and everybodys happy...
It's normal for living legends to make some legends with other legends. If teaching or only correcting, fact is, that Buddy himself stated, that Freddie helped him a lot....and he didn't mean carrying drums...

How is Joe going? Did you take a lesson just these days or last month. I'm still waiting of some feedback from Joe regarding some website-linking, give him greetings please...
Bernhard
Joe is doing well the last I saw him. (last September). He is just the sweetest guy and I have the utmost respect for him. He also has the MOST relaxed hands you will ever see on a drummer. Maybe that's why I get so worked up about Gruber. I feel that he is getting the attention that Joe deserves.

I intend on seeing him within a month or so. I will tell him you said Hi

Last edited by Jeff Almeyda; 02-04-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:06 AM

I heard he was a gopher to Buddy also. Why would Buddy study with a non-drummer. I dont doubt that Gruber could have said something philosophical to him about something deep, so gave a certain perspective - but that can happen to anyone from anyone - to then call them a formal teacher is a huge stretch.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 AM

To think Gruber gets more attention than Morello is like saying Gary Hogeboom gets more attention than Roger Staubauch just cause he was on "Survivor" or whatever show it was.

I think he got "some" attention because Neil Peart for some reason studied with him. I like Neil better before he switched grip. He's a rock player, and I think it calls for bigger muscle = matched grip
Old 04-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Default freddie gruber

no area of study is without its cons. when he talks i feel like he's trying to sell me an aging tonic in some town squares gazeebo.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I heard he was a gopher to Buddy also.
That's pretty rude. I knew Freddie when I was a kid. He and Buddy were friends.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
no area of study is without its cons
He's not a con. I'm living proof. Freddie was a great help to me when I was a teenager. The technique I learned from him has served me well for 30 years.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Senior Administrator

Having just reread this whole thread it strikes me that the people who believe that freddy didn't teach buddy anything are saying this out of unbacked opinion and almost hope...no way, buddy was all buddy. but the people who are disagreeing are presenting factual evidence. jordanz knew him...bernhard said:
Quote:
i think gruber's strength, the reason the top guys go to him, is in his ability to watch and see where there can be improvement. he's an analytical teacher not an instructional teacher. think about it. when you get as good as say, weckl, its got to be hard to find the places, particular in fine technique, that can be improved. freddy knows what to watch for.

j

Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Nutha - thanks for the support. Just what I meant, exactly.

And also this:

After one session with Freddie Gruber Dave Weckl changed his whole approach to drumming: The grip, the positions of the drums, the sticks, the movements. Just everything back to the beginnings. And this was - imagine - only four years ago!!!!

Bernhard

And this:
Just last PASIC: The whole Gadd crew standing there for picture shoot. Then Steve Gadd shouted: Hey come on Freddie, you must be in the picture......living Legends!!
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2006, 11:34 PM

One of the problems with Freddie is that he's a pretty eccentric person. I haven't seen him for, like, 20 years. But, back then, he could be pretty out there. I wonder if this has something to do with some of the backlash against him.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Yeah Nutha you got it right.....for drummers say like Weckl who have surely explored the whole set of rudiments and their alternatives, you need a guy who gets more conceptual and focuses on ergonomical and scientifical way of explaining the drums in order to optimize your playing