DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 AM

Default Simple drum charts

As a teacher i encourage my students to write there own drum charts, I use The Jim Riley Book called Survival guide for the modern drummer, has 125 tracks minus drums.I start them with a simple chart,they can use it as a template for their own charts.Here is my simple chart for track six.Here is my video run through.http://fandalism.com/tonicannelli/emwc

www.tonicannelli.com
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Simple drum charts

Reading music, applying notes, counting odd times, it all escapes me. I had a good solid handle on reading music back in my high school days, but as for being able to play sheet music or write my own charts, out of the question.

I recently downloaded MuseScore 2, in hopes of slowly getting back into it again, but it's a lost cause.

I like the kick beat on this, with the added beat thrown in every??? Whenever you throw it in.

I'm envious of you for possessing the know-how to work with charts and write your own music.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Well I was going to say I can't read drum music either but I'll be damned-I think I can read this music-watching your video and then remembering what I learned playing with an orchestra the chart makes sense. The X on top line is hihat ,the bottom space note is bass, and third line note is snare. The crash has the line through the x and ride is x on first line. I could never sight read it-but at least I think I could figure it out to play-Thanks Tony. The toms fall on spaces hi to low??
Old 07-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Toms are written between bass and snare, the fill at the bottom can be played any way,take chances!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 PM

Good stuff. This may be an issue of nomenclature, but this seems like more of a transcription than a chart. I use charts as a type of cheat sheet when playing to songs I'm not too familiar with ie feel of the song, beats on the verse/chorus, key fills, etc. I would have trouble with reliably following along with that chart on the gig. Maybe I need to brush up on my sight reading.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks for this , Toni. This reading business is my weak spot.: always wanted to be able to read and play but never happened. Something about my eyes blurring when I see a whole sheet of music! I like to do the reading by isolating a measure at a time. Is there a site where you can click on one measure and hear it played?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

I think writing the bass drum notes upside down makes it easier to read.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfingers View Post
Thanks for this , Toni. This reading business is my weak spot.: always wanted to be able to read and play but never happened. Something about my eyes blurring when I see a whole sheet of music! I like to do the reading by isolating a measure at a time. Is there a site where you can click on one measure and hear it played?
This is a great site for such. Have a look-see. It's somewhat complicated to learn and navigate, but anything is possible with it.