DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 PM

Default THERE SHOULD BE A STICKY THREAD ON HEARING PROTECTION !

Hello all...almost 10 months ago I got the dreaded Tinnitus. It has not left me since. I used to frequently go to forums and sites like this one back in 2004 - 2010. I never knew about the condition nor how it could effect me. I even took drum lessons and was never told about it. Although i did use muffs and filled my ears with toilet paper I didnt always do this especially when I said I am only going to play for 15 minutes. It was a mistake and it is something I will probably regret for the rest of my life. I am doing better now than when it started but I still have some sensitivity to sounds (hyperacusis) and ringing at 8000 khz but it has* gotten less intrusive. Hope this message is read by many newcomers. Protect those ears.

Last edited by XXX46XXX; 07-17-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: THERE SHOULD BE A STICKY THREAD ON HEARING PROTECTION !

We musicians should always strive to protect our hearing.

However, just remember that Tinnitus can also be hereditary.

My father had a hearing loss and he had Tinnitus. I was born with a hearing loss and I developed tinnitus in my mid 20's.
My sister developed tinnitus in her 40's and she never played an instrument nor was she ever exposed to loud noises.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
We musicians should always strive to protect our hearing.

However, just remember that Tinnitus can also be hereditary.

My father had a hearing loss and he had Tinnitus. I was born with a hearing loss and I developed tinnitus in my mid 20's.
My sister developed tinnitus in her 40's and she never played an instrument nor was she ever exposed to loud noises.

Thats crazy...never knew that...unfortunately mine is directly related to drumming. I remember on that day when playing that something didnt feel right. I was hitting the snare and it just seemed louder than usual. I did go for a rimshot a few times as well which prob. didnt help either. I quickly stopped and left my drum room. I had some slight ringing but i figured it would pass but then the next morning there it was. It woke me up from my sleep. Has yours gotten better over time?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 PM

Indeed, especially with some false information floating around out there.

I went to a small shop [name withheld], to get a stereo installed in my car. Near the end of my install, he brings HIS car into the bay and is BLASTING the stereo.

When I say "blasting," it was so loud that the floor shook, AND my windshield was cracked. He denied responsibility, by the way.

Within the topic of this thread, he comes into the waiting room and sees me with my earplugs in. My stomach is queasy. I'm not enjoying what he is doing. He then asks me why I have my earplugs in. I tell him that I'm a musician, and that it's important that I protect my hearing.

He then said the most horrifying thing that I had ever heard anyone say, with regard to loud music.

"It won't hurt your ears. It won't harm your hearing at all, because it's ONLY AIR BEING PUSHED. I go home every night, sit in my back yard, and listen to the bugs gently chirping. No problems.

ALL sound is air being pushed.

This is the kind of misinformation that can get people hurt permanently.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

So sad to hear about your hearing. Yes, loud drums and loud bands can bring on tinnitus.

I did not play drums between the age of 21 and 63. And I did not listen to loud music. But my tinnitus has gotten increasingly worse anyway over the past 40 years. Mine currently sounds as loud as a freight train. My hearing aide helps a great deal by amplifying all the sounds around me. Tinnitus can be difficult to live with. But you learn to ignore it. You can sleep OK because it eventually becomes simply background noise. You need to learn to not concentrate on the imaginary sounds (tinnitus) in your head.

I don't hear crickets and birds anymore. But I can hear them using a very loud hearing aide. I wear a hearing aide when I play drums in the band.

But tinnitus still is a very bothersome thing.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:31 PM

yeah man its pretty bad...i am not going to mention any names but i did ask a particular famous drummer listed on this site if he could spread awareness in his drum instruction vids. Lets just say the answer i got from him was pathetic. He told me it has been common knowledge for many years and that i shouldnt do what i did and ask any other musicians to do this. Needless to say instead of giving him a piece of my mind I let it go. It wasnt worth it...but it was very disappointing and eye opening about the type of world we live in.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

I've been playing and listening to rock n' roll for over 30 years. Never had a problem with the ears. Maybe I'm just lucky because I've never used hearing protection.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I've been playing and listening to rock n' roll for over 30 years. Never had a problem with the ears. Maybe I'm just lucky because I've never used hearing protection.
consider yourself lucky man... but heed my warning...once it happens your life is upside down for a while. Cant focus, cant sleep (it gets louder when laying down), sensitive to normal sounds (claping is death and feels like a nail being stabbed into your ear), the ringing is hard to mask because of the high pitch. It may not be loud but it can be heard over everything. I would strongly advise you go out and buy some custom fitted musician ear plugs. I have them now and they are excellent. I wish I would have known about these a long time ago before it was too late. This is what my T sounded like when i first got it.

WARNING - CHECK YOUR VOLUME - MAKE SURE ITS LOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HIfqyHbKgY&t=2s

it now sounds like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GexgBt_14IE
Old 07-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

I always fear the first 10 years of my drumming and being in bands will come back to haunt me. We use to play in a small room and turn up to 11 every day.

I now wear custom made hearing protection or my IEM's at a low volume.

I feel bad for you after listening to those.. I would go insane.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

It's strange how there is almost a stigma attached to recommending to someone that they take care of their health. When a parent on this forum or in person asks about what type of drums to buy or how to go about getting their kid involved with music, I like to tell them get them some earplugs to protect those young ears. You'd of thought I recommended a sex change with the dumfounded look or just silence I get from that advice. I sure hope drumlines in highs schools and colleges are handing them out.

I was in the US Navy band for six years touring constantly, working around jets and prop noise from the cargo planes we would fly in. I would see band members and flight crews with earplugs in. Heck, even on the bandstand a rimshot or screaming feedback from an amp can be damaging.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

I just played with a band that didn't believe in ear plugs. I show up to practice with mine in and they have nothing. They tune up and start playing at volume 11, which totally drowned out my drums, so I kick up the volume. Before you know it, everything is muddy and chaotic and everyone is complaining that they can't hear, so they all crank up to 12, they 13, then complain the rehearsal room needs bigger amps, etc. I couldn't believe they could stand to be in the room, but then realized at that point, they were all deaf, so it didn't matter!

The first thing that came to mind was their level of professionalism. Were these guys serious? Did they have an ounce of experience in a band setting? It took me several attempts to get them to turn down enough to hear themselves. Surprisingly, they all improved tremendously. I then talked them into using earplugs. Then, suddenly, the music volume dropped. They all lowered their amps to be able to hear the details of their playing. huge improvement still.

There's way more to using earplugs than protecting your hearing. While that should be the number one reason, but being able to hear definition should be a close second. That is totally counter to what most are told.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:53 PM

dont feel sorry for me guys although i do appreciate it. All I will say is that if I have given you guys or anyone else awareness to this I am happy. It makes me feel good. I swear If I would have known how much detail could be heard with musician ear plugs I would have gotten them a long time ago. I used to buy the cheap foamies but they never really fit right and of course blocked out alot of the detail in my playing. That really affected my growth because as soon as I had too many notes going the sounds would get muffled together and I could never truly hear how clean I was playing. I plan on purchasing an e kit soon. I am getting married this year so it will have to wait but I am looking forward to getting back on a kit at some point. ;)

BTW - Can someone check out the question I posted in my other thread regarding that Street Fighter theme song? thx lol
Old 07-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX46XXX View Post
dont feel sorry for me guys although i do appreciate it. All I will say is that if I have given you guys or anyone else awareness to this I am happy. It makes me feel good. I swear If I would have known how much detail could be heard with musician ear plugs I would have gotten them a long time ago. I used to buy the cheap foamies but they never really fit right and of course blocked out alot of the detail in my playing. That really affected my growth because as soon as I had too many notes going the sounds would get muffled together and I could never truly hear how clean I was playing. I plan on purchasing an e kit soon. I am getting married this year so it will have to wait but I am looking forward to getting back on a kit at some point. ;)

BTW - Can someone check out the question I posted in my other thread regarding that Street Fighter theme song? thx lol
I hear you and thanks for posting. Everyone should be made aware of the damages we can do regardless of how unaware. My optometrist keeps telling me about the damage that is going to hit the world in about a decade or so, with everyones steady diet portable devices and daily computer use. There's not much buzz about that either, but I'm not sure anyone would listen either.

The blue light from monitors was killing my eyes, till the right person told me how to protect myself. Some will definitely take head from your warnings, but the majority will feel immune till it's too late.

Congrats on the marriage BTW. :)
Old 07-18-2017, 06:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I've lived with it since age 4. I always thought I was hearing radio waves, before I knew it was hearing damage. If I decided to focus on it, I would have shoved ice picks into my ears years ago. The only thing I can do is ignore it to the best of my ability. I've gotten really good at it.

Like when Jake asked Elwood how many times the train went by, Elwood says, "so often you won't even notice it anymore".

I just resigned myself to it and accepted it as a part of me, the only other choice was to allow it to systematically drive me insane.

It never seems to get worse, it's always been the same. Probably because they are as fu'd as they can be. I unknowingly screwed up my own hearing at a really early age. I used to love the physical sensation of someone cupping their hands over my ears and making a real low note, so my eardrums would max out. I actually remember asking my friends to do this to me.

If you don't have a tin ear yet, protect it. It's too late for me.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I hear you and thanks for posting. Everyone should be made aware of the damages we can do regardless of how unaware. My optometrist keeps telling me about the damage that is going to hit the world in about a decade or so, with everyones steady diet portable devices and daily computer use. There's not much buzz about that either, but I'm not sure anyone would listen either.

The blue light from monitors was killing my eyes, till the right person told me how to protect myself. Some will definitely take head from your warnings, but the majority will feel immune till it's too late.

Congrats on the marriage BTW. :)

Thx ;) - I am addicted to my phone... i love to read up on things that interest me and especially with youtube I can be on it for hours easy. All of our advancements have made our lives much easier but unfortunately it seems we may be risking the amount of quality years we have.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I've lived with it since age 4. I always thought I was hearing radio waves, before I knew it was hearing damage. If I decided to focus on it, I would have shoved ice picks into my ears years ago. The only thing I can do is ignore it to the best of my ability. I've gotten really good at it.

Like when Jake asked Elwood how many times the train went by, Elwood says, "so often you won't even notice it anymore".

I just resigned myself to it and accepted it as a part of me, the only other choice was to allow it to systematically drive me insane.

It never seems to get worse, it's always been the same. Probably because they are as fu'd as they can be. I unknowingly screwed up my own hearing at a really early age. I used to love the physical sensation of someone cupping their hands over my ears and making a real low note, so my eardrums would max out. I actually remember asking my friends to do this to me.

If you don't have a tin ear yet, protect it. It's too late for me.
I do the best I can to protect them but its tough sometimes. They say the only way to cure hyperacusis is to expose yourself to every day sounds. I was walking down the street the other day and a car passing by honked its horn and forget about it. It is getting better like I said before but like you I have managed to block it out. I usually put on my white noise app from my i-phone that has the sound of steam from my heater being turned on. It blocks out the T completely so its great for sleeping. Glad to hear it never worsened and thx again for your insight.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX46XXX View Post
Thx ;) - I am addicted to my phone... i love to read up on things that interest me and especially with youtube I can be on it for hours easy. All of our advancements have made our lives much easier but unfortunately it seems we may be risking the amount of quality years we have.
At a minimum use the Night Shift option 24x7, if you're on iOS. It looks a bit strange at first, but you get used to it. Glasses with blue light filter and anything that can cut down on the blue light emitted will help. My eyes have hugely improved by cutting blue light where I can.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:35 AM
Silver Member

Sometimes, as was the case with me, tinnitus can occur due to taking antibiotics. I didn't realize that the antibiotics were the culprit until I stopped taking them and the tinnitus cleared up. Then my wife, who is an audiologist, confirmed that taking antibiotics can cause this in some people. Loud noise did aggravate it, but it was not the particular reason why I developed it.

When I was suffering with the tinnitus back in the 1990s before I was married, I took my Dad's Gingko Biloba supplement, as I had read that it not only helps your memory, but helps diminish tinnitus as well. Indeed, it was like a miracle when I took the Gingko. All the ringing, and humming I was hearing, suddenly disappeared within minutes. It's a blood thinner like aspirin, so it should be taken sparingly or not at all if you already suffer with certain physical problems.

The other thing I noticed was that there can be a big difference between the pills offered by various companies. My dad's Gingko, though it was a low dose, was fantastic, while others I tried did absolutely nothing.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I just played with a band that didn't believe in ear plugs. I show up to practice with mine in and they have nothing. They tune up and start playing at volume 11, which totally drowned out my drums, so I kick up the volume. Before you know it, everything is muddy and chaotic and everyone is complaining that they can't hear, so they all crank up to 12, they 13, then complain the rehearsal room needs bigger amps, etc. I couldn't believe they could stand to be in the room, but then realized at that point, they were all deaf, so it didn't matter!

The first thing that came to mind was their level of professionalism. Were these guys serious? Did they have an ounce of experience in a band setting? It took me several attempts to get them to turn down enough to hear themselves. Surprisingly, they all improved tremendously. I then talked them into using earplugs. Then, suddenly, the music volume dropped. They all lowered their amps to be able to hear the details of their playing. huge improvement still.

There's way more to using earplugs than protecting your hearing. While that should be the number one reason, but being able to hear definition should be a close second. That is totally counter to what most are told.
Yeah, I rehearsed with a band that was like this. I really don't get it. I guess it's ego or whatever that causes people to keep cranking up the volume.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

One of my bands I have a member who never does, the other band they all do sometimes and not others. One guy in that band is 100% like myself.

I even have extra boxes I keep in my house for when people jam or the bands forget.. If someone comes to watch us jam I offer them plugs as well as it is usually pretty loud. I agree turning everything down sometimes makes things sound much better and clears it up.

When I can't hear my drums and I am hitting as hard as I can it is too loud.

When I teach I have extras for the students too and discuss with all the parents first lesson how important it is. Especially teaching them young to get used to it.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

I toured before IEMs, so it was always 1-in-1-out for me. I was always downstage-left playing guitar, so I'd throw something in my right ear to protect me from the center. There's loud, and there's stupid loud.

I wonder if there's a band named MAWP out there.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Everyone just do yourself a favor and spend a hundred bucks, give or take, for some custom molded earplugs. They don't muffle the sound like those foam earplugs do, they just bring the volume down. I find I hear better with them now. They cut out a lot of background noise. Even on the quietest gigs, like solo guitar and pandeiro, I've got them in. Yeah, you could potentially go your whole life with no problems, but why risk it?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

I played for the first three years of my drumming career without hearing protection - and since then, rarely if ever without it. I also use in-ear monitors or headphones in live situations, allowing me to completely control the volume and preserve my hearing. A twenty-year military career and a lifetime around music has still gifted me with tinnitus, but thankfully it's not been life-changing; I hear the buzzing/ringing even now as I type this, but I have to concentrate to hear it. Use whatever works to protect your hearing, and don't let anyone talk you out of it.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I played for the first three years of my drumming career without hearing protection - and since then, rarely if ever without it. I also use in-ear monitors or headphones in live situations, allowing me to completely control the volume and preserve my hearing. A twenty-year military career and a lifetime around music has still gifted me with tinnitus, but thankfully it's not been life-changing; I hear the buzzing/ringing even now as I type this, but I have to concentrate to hear it. Use whatever works to protect your hearing, and don't let anyone talk you out of it.

Al -- you are correct!