DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Default incorporating doubles in to a solo

hi everyone

i've been drumming for about 12 years, been in multiple bands etc etc. i'm a fairly straightforward kinda drummer, nothing too fancy like some of the rather intimidating videos you see on youtube! :)

anyway, i'm working on some ideas for a drum solo and i've noticed that almost everything i've come up with is based on single strokes (i don't know all the technical terms, but fills like 'bucket of fish' and 'herta' linked together with flams, a few nice beats, etc). it does actually sound pretty cool, but i would like to incorporate some double strokes to add more flavor. i've watched loads of great drummers soloing around the kit and they seem to make use of doubles on the snare quite a lot, with accents on the toms, for example. i don't know if i'm just extremely dumb (or lacking in talent!) but i can't quite get my head around how they do this in terms of the sticking pattern. when i play doubles on the snare and then try to hit the toms randomly, it just sounds very forced and naff!

can anyone recommend an exercise, to get some doubles going with accents around the kit that i could incorporate in to my solo?? nothing overly complex, i'm in to competing with maths jazz prog technical fills. straight up rock fills are good for me!

thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: incorporating doubles in to a solo

It's a big subject, but really, it has to be more than hit the toms randomly.

The toms are the rhythms, can of course be a snare accent or anything else too, and then you fill in low notes. When that's comfotable you double up on the low notes like, you know, on a typical 5, 7, 9, etc. stroke roll.

Exercise #1 would be play accented single with every 16th note and triplet combination from a standard accent grid like you see in "Benny Greb's "Language of Drumming"

Then you start playing doubles on the low strokes.

Then you move on to a reading page like e.g. Syncopation where you accent the rhythms and fill in low strokes.

Do the same and play double strokes on the low notes.

I could write a ton to explain fully, but this is stuff you should get quickly from any drum teacher. Standard stuff.

There are many approaches.

A typical book would be Gary Chaffee's "Sticking Patterns." It focuses more on strokes being the same value which is the start of Gary's sticking system.

There's also a lot of lessons with Weckl around where all accents are in the right hand and the left does all the fill-ins.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM

thanks for the info. i've been thinking about this at lunctime, and tbh i think what i'm looking for is really simple. perhaps something like this...

R L L R L R
L R R L R L

probably just accenting the 1st right hand on the floor tom, and the 1st left hand on the high tom

i've probably been overthinking this
Old 07-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

If you just want lick or two....

I tend to work on general methods and improvise. There is a plan, though.

I work with the Chaffe stickings a lot. It's good exercise. Improvising accents around keeeping the doubles even is hard, both in egards to dynamics, but even more so with timing.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 PM

An easy intro to doubles' use could be paradiddles from snare to toms, alternating right to left on the toms: R(tom)LRR(snare) , L(Tom) RLL(snare), etc.alternate high Tom hits with floor Tom.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Do you know how drummers play single stroked 16th notes down the toms? You could substitute doubles for singles to start.

Also, it's a little easier IMO to start with doubles just on the snare, and when that's comfy, graduate to toms.

The exercise I was thinking of...play 4 bars of single stroked 16ths, then play 4 bars of double strokes, same tempo, alternate between singles and doubles, while keeping the transitions as seamless as possible.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 AM
Platinum Member

My two favorites are RllrrL RllrrL or Rlrrll Rlrrll

Using Rll Rll Rll or Rlrll Rlrll and even Rlrlrll Rlrlrll are handy for fills.. you can swap out last note in the double for a kick when it feels right too. Rlk Rlk , RlrlkRlrlK or Rlrlrlk RlrlrlK

I made these a while back on doing fills inuo 3, 5 and 7 It's a good place to start. I'd also recommend doubles on a pad as well as paradiddles and inverted diddles. I don't often do straight double stroke rolls for long periods of time, but I do add doubles in my playing often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDopGqeFSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djYAE9pJFRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-pVARpxf0
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
while keeping the transitions as seamless as possible.
That's what we should all strive to do. That's the point. It doesn't matter if you're the fastest at a certain chop, but does it fit into what you're playing with others? Gospel chop it up, or play a paradiddle to your heart's content.

I don't have any exercises to offer, other than the obligatory Stick Control and New Breed, but those will keep you busy for 30 years or so.