DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 PM

Default Question for 3-up drummers.

I've decided to go back to a 3 mounted tom set up from 2 up set up. In the current 2 up configuration, my ride is in the "traditional" spot where the right mounted tom would be. As seen below.

Ignoring tom angles in the photo below, this is the new kit and the configuration I'm leaning towards since I've done it in the past but w/ a rack:

However, this configuration is looking appealing:

Here are the issues:
1) When I last had a tom where my ride is now, I used a rack. I absolutely do not want to use my rack again so the tom stand is in the way of where part of the ride cymbal would be. I can move the stand a bit but it doesn't really free up as much real estate as I'd like.
2) Installing a tom mount on the kick drum is not an option.

Possible solution: Use a single tom stand for the 12" tom and move the STM to the bottom lugs of the tom so that the ride cymbal can actually be where I'm thinking about using it.

So, I'd like to know from those of you who do use 3 toms over the kick AND place your ride on your dominant side, how do you set up your toms and where is your ride? I'll be experimenting through the next week myself w/ both ways.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Question for 3-up drummers.

With Option 2 your hihat will be pushed away from your snare.
I'd go Option 1, Ride cymbal can sit partly across the 3rd rack tom, just takes a while to get comfy.

Mick
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Administrator

I have done three up and used stands at first, and then a rack. Biggest issue both times wah the hi-hat being in the next zip code, or the ride being above the right hand rack tom. Let me find photos.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

I've spent most of my time behind 1U1D drums. When I I've played 3-Up, I typically do the two smaller ones (8/10 in the case of the Renown I had) on a separate stand to the left of the hat, much like concert/roto toms.

When I have more than a single floor tom, I use the one nearest the BD for percussion, and the farther FT for holding my whiskey service. The downside is I have to stretch a bit more for ice.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

I couldn't do 3up in a row any longer. Never had issues with HH placement, because I could tuck it in close enough. My ride had to come in over the BD, due to shoulder issues, so I moved the 8" to the left of the HH or a while. Never had an issue playing it, but I always struggled with keeping that one tuned. It liked to be tuned super high only, and anything lower and the lugs would back out, so I just ditched it. One of the things that's supposed to be different with the DW is the 8" is "tuned" lower from the factory (according to John Good), so it may still be doable, so long as the position doesn't make a mess.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

I play either 2 up or 3 up (10 12 13), when I play 2, I use a separate Stand on the left like you. With 3, I use bass drum mount but I guess I could have the right set up with a clamp on the right crash stand.
A bit of issue with the hi hat (very close to the 10") but nothing special with the ride (though I would prefer it a bit closer)

Last edited by Tamaefx; 07-12-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Go for it Lee-Bro. You can always put it back to what was comfortable.

GD - how big is your ride?!? Looks bigger than my mower deck!! But I do like your rack set-up. Looks a lot like mine - it's easy to tweak and fast to set up for gigs.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 AM

When I used to play 3up (or even 2up over the kick), I used the same position as Gruntersdad. I found it was easier to reach with my left (or right, if you're a lefty) hand, (should I need to) than when it's over by the floor tom. I tend to prefer rides that I can crash on, so having it higher up worked well for that too.

Last edited by cutaway79; 07-12-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

Interesting choice Gruntersdad, However, wasn't it difficult to play the bell of the ride cymbal?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:27 AM

Ride is hard-right. Suits me. Always played that way, no matter how many toms.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 AM

I worked on it today and here's the current setup, dirty cymbals and all. I have my double pedal previously set to what I'm accustomed to and went w/ that since I didn't want to have to move my hi-hat stand. My 12" tom basically went where my ride was and things were shifted over a little. I prefer to keep the front of the kit open so I can "see out."

Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

I center the right two rack toms over the bass drum and have the smallest tom on the left of the bass drum. As Gruntersdad stated my HH is a little pushed out a little. My Ride is over the large right rack tom and floor tom equally and as low as I can have it and still hit the toms without hitting the ride.

I generally have used the small 8" tom as a timbale so when I bought my Alesis I decided I did not need the 8". The Alesis is to the left of the HH now and the HH is in a more traditional position.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I generally have used the small 8" tom as a timbale so when I bought my Alesis I decided I did not need the 8". The Alesis is to the left of the HH now and the HH is in a more traditional position.
I'm considering adding a Yamaha DTX Multi-12 to the set up just above the hi-hats. Several of the songs we're adding have timbales, congas, etc and I really don't feel like carrying another 1/2 car full of extra gear*.

*when my friends found out I was gigging again they joked about getting groupies. I told them at my age I'd rather have roadies than groupies.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:28 AM

I normally play 2 up with this set (with two bass drums), but I've been enjoying this 3 up single bass set up. Anyway, I have found a pretty comfortable spot for my ride in this setup while keeping it higher than the norm. Kind of inspired by Danny Carey, Marco Minnemann, Akira Jimbo, etc. Might be worth a try for you.
Name:  FB_IMG_1499909045460.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  FB_IMG_1499909039198.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  138.3 KB
Old 07-14-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I have done three up and used stands at first, and then a rack. Biggest issue both times wah the hi-hat being in the next zip code, or the ride being above the right hand rack tom. Let me find photos.
I play 3 up, 1 down. A few years ago I started having wrist pain due to the ride cymbal being to the far left (traditional position). I moved my ride to a similar position as GruntersDad and the pain went away and didn't come back. You can see it on my profile pic. I use a 22" ride and it covers about 1/3 of the 3rd tom which is a 12". Works fine for me.

In direct answer to question 1 &2, I prefer the bass drum to be between toms 2 & 3. So I would think you would put tom 1 & 2 on one stand on the left side. Tom 3 on its own stand or attached to a cymbal stand on the right side of the bass drum. Again, if you like the layout I use. I just recently acquired two more sets (long story). Two are racked, one uses bass drum mounts and stands similar to Adam's pic above this post. All three are 3 up and 1 down, same layout.

Last edited by uhtrinity; 07-14-2017 at 06:55 AM.