DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Default Anyone running their own monitor/IEM mix?

Since I use C-IEMs, I'm finding having a good IEM mix really can make or break my playing. Nights where I have a shitty mix, I usually play quite a bit louder (forearms are drained by the end) and aren't as comfortable taking 'risks'. Since I'm gigging fairly frequently now (3-4 times / week) and usually with 2-3 hour stretches, I'm seriously contemplating running my own mix to help me be more consistent.

I know the tradeoffs on running your own mix vs. not (and just working with the sound-guy more/better), so lets just assume that I went down the route of my own mix. How are you guys doing this? Doubling up mic's with your own? Taking the mic's through a mixer/DAW and then sending it all out to FOH? Splitting all the mic's? Directly controlling the Monitor mix somehow remotely (if their console supports it)?
Old 07-08-2017, 07:28 AM

Default Re: Anyone running their own monitor/IEM mix?

I should also maybe mention one constraint... I don't want to send FOH a mixed version meaning they still need to get all the mic channels.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Since you already know the trade-offs of doing it one way or the other, why don't you tell us what you're doing instead?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Since you already know the trade-offs of doing it one way or the other, why don't you tell us what you're doing instead?
I know the tradeoffs in doing your own IEM mix vs. NOT doing it... but haven't tried any method of doing it myself yet, hence asking. Today, I'm NOT doing my own mix and relying on the monitor/sound guy, but it's just too inconsistent and/or would take half the sound-check to dial it in.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:51 PM
Pioneer Member

I was experimenting awhile back with various monitoring methods. We have a nice size rehearsal space at about 30' x 36'.

We always ran wedges for the vocals and keyboards and just balanced them to the drums and guitars.

As we simplified our PA and moved them forward slightly I wanted to have some bass drum in the monitor mix because I can't hear the sub-woofer that well (because it was probably too close to me near the stage).

I tried using a Crate 15" as a monitor and put it right behind me and that was OK but it didn't sound or feel very good.. .. and that got me thinking.

I put up on my left a small Yamaha 8 channel mixer for occasions when I need to share more of the snake space and I experimented with putting the vocals and keyboards to a send on the board and return to the snake. Patch cable into my mixer and I have my drums, vocals and keyboards in my mix. We have a 16 channel digital recording and mixing station so it wasn't too difficult to get the mic'd guitar amps that go out to the PA to also return back. I have never liked playing with headphones, so I splurged and got some decent in-ears.

Our singer and one of our guitar players and I loved having the in-ear mix. I gave my old Shure EC2's to the guitar player and our singer tried headphones.

Our keyboard player, other guitar player and bass player hated it. To be honest, our bass player just never really gave it a chance.

Our rehearsal space gear never leaves the space (except for guitars and pedals).

Depending upon what you might prefer to have in your mix AND how reliably you can count on getting access to patching what you need to a mixer you bring with you, you can get a good set up without breaking the bank that is relatively easy to set up and tear down.

You'll need good in-ears but buy them last.

I found my Yamaha 8 xlr channel mixer used for about $75. A Mackie will cost you more. I got one of the LP percussion table thingies that mounts to my cymbal stand that I have my chimes on and the mixer is secure. So's my drink ;-)

1/4 inch jack cable(s)

Experiment with a set up of headphones first so you have easy access to the room sound by skewing headphones off your ears as necessary.

I found that I didn't really prefer having the bass guitar in my mix. I like having the guitars in my mix but less prominent than the vocals and keyboards.

Thousands of drummers, thousands of preferences. Salt to taste.

After we experimented with this for a few months only three of us wanted to continue and we don't play out often enough to worry about it. If and when I am lucky enough to play out and get a decent wedge monitor mix, I just roll with it.

I think it can be very unnerving to rely on an in-ear mix if you're so used to one way for a long time and that's why as a group it didn't stick.

Personally, I love it and my ears and playing have benefited from it enormously. I bet if we ever played larger spaces or outdoors, the guys would change their mind but..

If you're ready to take the plunge and invest in some custom in-ear monitors, there are many quality brands out there.

Westone, UltimateEars, Shure, JH Audio are all great quality.

I bought a pair of Empire Ears Spartan IV's. They set me back a pretty penny but they sound so good. They cut about 28db.

I used my Shure EC2's for a long time before I splurged on custom fit in-ears.

I hope some of this info helps.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

I've never really had any issues like that unless it's a REALLY bad mix and I can't hear the vocals or lead instruments to take cues from.

I think the most important thing is to have control over your own volume - and just be really firm with the sound guy if there's a problem with the mix. Be polite of course, but if you build a rapport during setup and go out of your way to introduce yourself and let them know you're running IEMs then that should make all the difference.

I've never felt the need to run my own mix - whether it's with IEMs or foldbacks. Sometimes if I've had a terrible mix (as stated above) it's caused me problems mainly with listening to the others, but that's where knowing your material really well helps a lot too. But it can be hard. I've even asked the vocalist during a break between songs to request a change to my mix - do it early on and it's all good.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

I have a small mixer next to me on stage. (5-10 channels depending on the gig).

Channel one is a click feed from a Tama Rhythm watch or Yamaha DTX mod.

Channel two is a feed of the live band taken from the monitor guy or FOH.

If I'm running tracks or pads, those fill out the rest of the board.
For example:

Channel three: Click from tracks.

Channel four: tracks.

Channel five: Electronic pads.

Doing it this way I can mix everything the way I want. The only thing I need the FOH or Monitor guy to do is give me a mix of the live band, and because I only require a little kick, snare, vocals and the bass, it's not hard to screw up.
YouTube