DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Beatles - Come Together

I'm playing this song for the first time on Sunday, and I've always thought of the first bar as starting with ten hihats (3 triplets + 1). But most transcriptions and Youtube lessons show it starting with two eights on cymbal+kick, then 4 hihats. The recording has both: drum kit plays 2 eighths while something else does the first two triplets.

My question: When you play this live, which do you play, the two crashes or the two extra triplets.

Related question - I can only hear one muffled tom in the second bar, but most people suggest high then low, or even three toms. What do you play?
Old 07-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Beatles - Come Together

Two crashes. It's more important that your drum part emphasize what's most prevalent in the guitar/bass/keys, rather that what was actually played on the recording. It's good to know those little details, of course, but as one drummer playing a compromise of two drum parts, you have to go with the more musical part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLuzPo5hpU

Obviously, this group plays the tune a bit more aggressively, so I approached the tune with a bit more volume, and busied up the solo and outro sections. I've heard that the toms go from floor tom to tom (low to high), rather than high to low, but it's so quiet on the recording that it doesn't make a difference.

Unless you're in a Beatles tribute band. Then it matters, because drummers are paying attention, and the focus is on emulation, not interpretation.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 PM

That band is tighter than a new wallet!!..Good players all around............Remember Ringo often lead with his left hand even though he set up as a rightie. He could do a lot of things easily that would be challenging for a lot of us because he was really a lefty.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

I have played this song many times with different bands.
One thing I can say for sure. In order to play the drum part exactly the way it was recorded, the other band members must have a good sense of time.
Otherwise you will have to keep the bass drum going on quarter notes during the whole song.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonormapex View Post
That band is tighter than a new wallet!!..Good players all around............
Haha, thanks very much! This is a super fun band to jam with. Helps to have a strong lead vocal who is also a strong lead guitarist. Dude is unusually good at both.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

I have to play this song different than the original. This song is my "Mustang Sally". I have played it in just about every band I've ever been in, including my current band.

I don't use the two cymbal crashes. I just play two hits on the floor tom, four on the hats, then keep the triplets on the high tom. Then I do 4 measures with the floor tom beat during the verse, then two with a straight high hat beat, then I hit the big crash and let it sustain through the next line, "one thing I can tell you..." Then a big sloshy beat during the chorus and ending it with a choked cymbal crash on a smaller cymbal.

Does that make sense? No? Well, I tried.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Beautifully played brent, awesome pocket. I listened to one particular measure a few times at 3:21 to 3:24. That's a very cool and smoothly executed little combination of 3 offbeat snares, open slice hi-hat, 4 bass drum strokes and a pushed crash and kick at the end. Better copyright it mate because I might have to steal it. :D
Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Better copyright it mate because I might have to steal it. :D
Thanks man! Go ahead, I'm pretty sure I stole it myself.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

I often just use kick notes instead of adding the crashes. Kick notes alone followed by the hi-hat slosh thing sounds good and I'm very lazy. Nobody has ever noticed that I'm aware of.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Ringo explained that when he played this, being lefty on a right kit, he played the tom part as, floor tom then rack tom because of his left hand lead. It does sound close in pitch but if you listen carefully you can hear two different muffled toms.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Someone's Dad
This message has been deleted by Someone's Dad. Reason: Er, realised I just repeated what the last guy said...
Old 07-08-2017, 03:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I have to play this song different than the original. This song is my "Mustang Sally". I have played it in just about every band I've ever been in, including my current band.

I don't use the two cymbal crashes. I just play two hits on the floor tom, four on the hats, then keep the triplets on the high tom. Then I do 4 measures with the floor tom beat during the verse, then two with a straight high hat beat, then I hit the big crash and let it sustain through the next line, "one thing I can tell you..." Then a big sloshy beat during the chorus and ending it with a choked cymbal crash on a smaller cymbal.

Does that make sense? No? Well, I tried.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Ringo did play floor to rack tom, but almost everyone I see-even a Ringo celebration video with lots of top players-they all played it rack to floor. I initially played it rack to floor too, but it bugged me so I worked on playing like Ringo going from floor to rack. I play it two crashes then hi hat (dum dee dee dum) and start tom fill with both hands on floor tom but quickly move left hand to rack resonated between the two till completing the fill on rack with my left hand while my right move back to crash to start again. I have to play the last part one handed on rack to give me time to move my right around to crash again-I'm sure Ringo didn't have that problem.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Having played and taught this many many times, here is what the "official" Beatles transcription is:

First two hits are kick and ride, followed by a triplet and single stroke starting with your LEFT hand on the Hi Hats: LRLR.

The Tom walk down also stars with your LEFT, and is much simpler than what most people thing. It's 3 triplets and a single: LRL RLR LRL R.

It's ALL on the rack tom, except the two right hands that are marked in bold.

Does that make sense?
YouTube
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

You guys, and Ringo, can talk all day about how he played the triplets starting on the floor tom then moving to the rack tom.
All I know is that the first part of the triplets sound higher pitched than the last part of the triplets.
He could have had the floor tom tuned higher than the rack tom, or he had different tea towels on each drum.
Or the way he hit the drums changed the sound. Like hitting them off-center etc.
But it's higher pitched triplets first half then lower pitched second.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Dead Drummer View Post
Having played and taught this many many times, here is what the "official" Beatles transcription is:

First two hits are kick and ride, followed by a triplet and single stroke starting with your LEFT hand on the Hi Hats: LRLR.

The Tom walk down also stars with your LEFT, and is much simpler than what most people thing. It's 3 triplets and a single: LRL RLR LRL R.

Does that make sense?
This is useful, thanks. I still hear triplets on the first beat under the 'shh' sound, but since its not the drum kit, I'll leave them out. Two eights will be clearer for the rest of the band too. Interesting to hear everyone's interpretation though.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Straight from the horses mouth, which is what I stated above.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl9188EPdLI
Old 07-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

That's the video I saw too Gruntersdad, but when I tried like he does it doesn't sound the same for some dang reason-so I start on floor with both hands, then sort of echo resonate with right on floor and left on rack and ending with just rack triplet -so I can be ready to crash with my right to start again because it flows pretty fast on the original recording. It was my compromise.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Does that make sense?
Well not quite according to Ringo and the above video.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Two crashes. It's more important that your drum part emphasize what's most prevalent in the guitar/bass/keys, rather that what was actually played on the recording. It's good to know those little details, of course, but as one drummer playing a compromise of two drum parts, you have to go with the more musical part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLuzPo5hpU

Obviously, this group plays the tune a bit more aggressively, so I approached the tune with a bit more volume, and busied up the solo and outro sections. I've heard that the toms go from floor tom to tom (low to high), rather than high to low, but it's so quiet on the recording that it doesn't make a difference.

Unless you're in a Beatles tribute band. Then it matters, because drummers are paying attention, and the focus is on emulation, not interpretation.
Outstanding. You and the guitarist are smoking. Don't let that guitar player out of your sight.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
That's the video I saw too Gruntersdad, but when I tried like he does it doesn't sound the same for some dang reason-so I start on floor with both hands, then sort of echo resonate with right on floor and left on rack and ending with just rack triplet -so I can be ready to crash with my right to start again because it flows pretty fast on the original recording. It was my compromise.
I remember arguing in a different thread that it sounds like low tom high tom to me, so some vindi-kay-sheeon going on ...

But one of the reasons it's hard to catch is, wasn't this the time when he was putting tea towels on his already low-tuned toms? It's very subtle and the guitar playing over it makes it even harder to catch. But it's quite clearly lower pitch then higher pitch.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
But one of the reasons it's hard to catch is, wasn't this the time when he was putting tea towels on his already low-tuned toms? It's very subtle and the guitar playing over it makes it even harder to catch. But it's quite clearly lower pitch then higher pitch.
I wish someone would put the recording on a frequency (pitch) analyzer so everyone would know for sure. Low to high or high to low.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Administrator

He shows and explains low to high, why would you need a tune analyzer? Pretty cut and dry to me, and there are other videos out with the same explanation.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

When I play this, I put thin chamois type of towels on all my heads. I go high to low tom, though.

Also, it starts out with bass+ride > bass+ride > high-hats > *tom > *tom

* High to low or Low to high... your choice!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
He shows and explains low to high, why would you need a tune analyzer? Pretty cut and dry to me, and there are other videos out with the same explanation.
Yeah I don't get it either ... but this kind of stuff is why I find Ringo-hate funny. Most of the people who think everything he did was easy can't come close to replicating it on a kit. And yeah maybe some of it was happy accident stuff, like he says in the video above, or just how he ended up having the drums available to his hands (like how Mick Fleetwood got a different sound partially by swapping his mid and hi tom) but still ... he did it, and people still talk about it and play it and try to cop it 50 years later. That's crazy.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
This is useful, thanks. I still hear triplets on the first beat under the 'shh' sound, but since its not the drum kit, I'll leave them out. Two eights will be clearer for the rest of the band too. Interesting to hear everyone's interpretation though.
Those triplet sounds you hear under the "Shoot Me" lyric are not drums. That's a sound effect, most likely slap back on a guitar or something.

Quote:
Well not quite according to Ringo and the above video.
The way I play it, and what I posted in this forum are from a transcription by Hal Leonard. They would need permission to publish any transcriptions from the copywriter holders, so I assume that's the closest version.

I watched the video, and with the exception of doing the tom triplets low to high, it's the same as what I posted. Leading with the left and so on. HOWEVER Ringo didn't play the ride on tip of the kick drum in the video, and you can clear hear it on the original recording, sooooo....? I'm not saying Ringo doesn't know his own song, but it was recorded decades ago, and I can't tell you exactly how I did shit in the studio from a week ago unless I sit and pull it apart from the master recording.
YouTube
Old 07-09-2017, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

This thread is puzzling.

I always thought religious discussions were outlawed on DW.

Oh, is that my coat?
Old 07-09-2017, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
This thread is puzzling.
I doubt we'll get a definitive answer until Ringo comes along and admits he didn't really play it the way he played it. But rather played it the way we wanted it to be played.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Paul McCartney knows the real answer but sadly he died years ago so all we have is this imposter and he doesn't know. LOL.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

You can find Ringo demonstrating the intro on youtourube.
He goes to the floor first, then to the tom. Not so obvious on the recording socool to learn.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:24 AM

This is very weird...
Old 07-09-2017, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

I don't want to beat a dead horse. (Actually in the recording it sounds like he is beating a dead horse)
But to my ear it sounds like the toms are very very close in tuning. But I still hear a slightly higher tom first; especially the last time he plays the fill.
So that is why I'd like to have the recording analyzed. (I guess to prove I'm not completely tone deaf.)
I'm not trying to prove anybody is wrong. And I have never had anybody come up to me after the performance and tell me I played it wrong.
Musically it's really not all that important.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

"I don't want to beat a dead horse. (Actually in the recording it sounds like he is beating a dead horse)
But to my ear it sounds like the toms are very very close in tuning. But I still hear a slightly higher tom first; especially the last time he plays the fill." Well Hollywood Jim I agree with your assessment that the original album version sounds like he is playing two shoe boxes-surely didn't sound like what he played in Gruntersdad video-whether it is tom tunings or just he was giving a basic explanation I don't know. To my hearing aids it sounds like he starts with a larger shoe box and ends on smaller shoe box LOL-but now I'm completely confused.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Towels on drums would modify their pitch, and not in a necessarily linear fashion - more towel on a floor tom could bring its pitch up a fair amount. He also had 3 toms for the Abbey Road sessions - the thermogloss Ludwigs.

No matter, I don't see the point of playing it note-for-note like Ringo, play it like yourself. BrentCn's version sounded awesome to me.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
You can find Ringo demonstrating the intro on youtourube.
He goes to the floor first, then to the tom. Not so obvious on the recording socool to learn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl9188EPdLI From above post
Old 07-09-2017, 10:08 PM

From the master himself!!...how many would tune your kit similar to Ringos??
Old 07-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Cool. That was super interesting. I did not know that.

Now to throw some rotten tomatoes - you would think they could have tuned the kit, and also tuned the kit to more Ringo tone. That kit sounded horrible.

But very awesome to hear him speak about his lefty righty approach.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Just learn the Aerosmith version, it's better anyway.
YouTube
Old 07-09-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Just learn the Aerosmith version, it's better anyway.
Or the meters' version which is even better
Old 07-10-2017, 12:05 AM
Gold Member

Passing on any Aerosmith version of a Beatles tune, but now going to look up The Meters' version.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

I've been avoiding learning this song seriously for months now, to my cover band's consternation. Between all the advice here, plus that quite honestly excellent version in Brent's video, I'm going to try it at our next gig. Thanks DW.