DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default I have a theory

This is an extension of that other thread where I went off on people having bizarre finished drumsets (and this leading to less calls to come out and play - possibly).

I was combing through some online auction ads possibly shopping for a DW kit just to have, and here's what I noticed (and why we all say it's a buyer's market out there for used gear): In the DW Collector's world, you basically have the opportunity to order whatever you want, in whatever finish they offer. So what I think happens, is potential new customer, who is sorta new to drumming, has all kinds of options at his disposal regarding his "dream kit". So naturally, he wants it to be unique, in sizes and in sound, because he's going to draw attention to himself, or needs to to get his name out there to other players.

In this market, without even getting into finishes, there are ALOT of odd-sized DW Collector's kits out there. Mostly all sported a 18x22 bass drum, but the toms could be strangely weird sizes, and mounted on a stand.

As most of us discover in the course of gigging, lots of times standard sizes rule the day. Traditional mounting saves time, and weight being carried around. And as I pointed out in my last thread, a lot of people pick those unique finishes to help themselves stand-out on the bandstand too.

Needless to say, it's difficult to find a DW kit in this configuration: 14 (or 16)x22 bass drum, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom. There are a lot of them with 8x10, 9x12, and some kind of 14 hanging floor tom (or some weird 16 floor tom in some super shallow depth). Some people also are trying to move their super deep bass drums (I figure they discovered how difficult it was to just get the drum through a door!).

Of course, regardless of what it looks like, just so long as it sounds good it should be good enough, right? But this is where I tie-in my last thread about looking the part. There was one kit with TWO 16x22 bass drums (very cool), but his toms were 8x10, 9x12, and a 14x14 floor tom. If I allow myself to see the stereo-typical double bass rock n roll drum kit, the toms would be something like 9x13, 10x14 rack toms, and 16x16, and 16x18 floor toms. Seeing this particular double-bass kit made me think "maybe Steve Gadd will take on a hard rock project, but with his military style, he could break out into "Crazy Army" at any moment!

So, I theorize, because of some people new to drumming, or some pros desiring to try something new, this is why the used gear market is so saturated. People try things and discover they just don't work. I commend companies like DW, Pearl, and Sonor for giving people choices beyond measure. But I also feel like it detracts from the what the real job of the drummer really is: solid time keeper in a team effort. I've seen more than one young drummer with a $10K kit in some wild color at a school music festival playing really badly. And sooner or later, drummers like this end up playing something a little more conservative with an instrument that doesn't look like it should be on a Slipknot tour.

Last edited by Matt Bo Eder; 07-03-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:38 PM
JohnoWorld

Default Re: I have a theory

Drum companies have to invent new things (like all companies) and if we didn't buy them then they would disappear. The problem with high-end gear is that is is more esoteric, like high-end hi-fi, fast cars etc. The more you spend the more specific the application is.

When you consider what a drum actually is, I have often been of the opinion that drum companies have done as much as they can. Realistically, all they can offer is some slightly better mounts, slightly different shells and/or sizes. But easiest of all is some new posh finishes.

Drums will almost always be round and have heads on them so for me, the second hand market is a god-send. I see many kits on ebay that are really expensive and have clearly been bought as custom kits (or someone bought a display model from a shop) and it hasn't seemingly fitted the application of the drummer who bought them.

There is nowt like buyers remorse on a 2k+ kit. I had it for years going through all the top line kits from most major manufacturers. I always found something that didn't suit my application, until I bought a Sonor. Now I have found my perfect kit (Sonor Delite / Prolite) I don't need to consider anything else. Not only have I found my perfect sounds, I've also found my perfect finish (nussbaum)

It's taken a shed load of cash to get to that point, but until you try everything in your own situation, you'll never know. Shame that so many places have closed so mostly you can't try them out properly.

For me, the only way to sell new drums now is to provide an un-eq'd, un-compressed online demo that Guru do.

Comparing the recent DW ones to the Guru ones, there is no comparison. Guru are showing how good their sound is, whereas DW seem to still be doing the whole marketing thing (talking over the videos)

So until they all put what they do up online, un-altered, we all have to go through the process that I did, which costs a bleeding fortune.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Years ago I subbed for a band who's drummer was a rockstar in a well known band.
He played a very sparkly DW set.
I toured with his band while he was away touring with his other band.

The band I played with was a pop/punk band where the normal drum "look" should have been something like a vintage mis-matched Ludwig set.
They played with him and his sparkly finish drums and loved it, but if I showed up with a sparkly drum set, I maybe wouldn't have gotten the gig. It looks over-domesticated, but it also looks fine if the drummer is already successful.
I auditioned with a 24" mahogany Sonor Phonic bass drum and birch Sonorlite toms. It fit perfectly, to me.

It's funny because while my drums were woodgrain and I wore black t shirts, they told me I look better with more color.

I think they were just accustomed to seeing a glittery set and missed it when it wasn't there.

It all maybe goes back to the Latin saying: De Gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
There's no accounting for taste or color (or something of that jive).
Old 07-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Hi Matt
I agree with you and your theory.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Its funny how violins haven't changed at all in 300 years, while guitars and drums come in a vast array of shapes, sizes, colours and materials which go in and out of fashion everybso often.

The majority of high quality second hand kits for sale around here are 24" four piece kits, while almost every band I see live is using an 18" bop kit.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
Its funny how violins haven't changed at all in 300 years, while guitars and drums come in a vast array of shapes, sizes, colours and materials which go in and out of fashion everybso often.

The majority of high quality second hand kits for sale around here are 24" four piece kits, while almost every band I see live is using an 18" bop kit.
It is interesting to note how some instruments have never changed at all. Other than colored horns (or being made out of plastic), brass and woodwinds are what they are (no more evolution?). Funny you should mention violins - my wife and I were in Italy back in March and went to one of the Florence art galleries (where David is) and they had a music section. As far as strings went, other than seeing a rare 3/4 sized contrabass violin with three strings, that classic shape built by Stradivarius hundreds of years ago is still the same. Whereas, ancient percussion instruments like tympani and noisemakers, have continued to evolve to this day (I can imagine if I were a modern tympani player, I'd absolutely hate the tympani options you had back in the 1800s). And literally the guitar stayed the same until that Les Paul guy came along and said, "I'll apply my electrical engineering to my instrument and amplify myself".

So I guess technology really gripped drums and guitars and that could be the cause of this influx of different shapes and sizes and colors. Used as a marketing tool, a wonderful trend to offer potential customers in their choices. But after looking around at what's available on the used market, I guess we're in this phase of people dumping what doesn't work and they go slightly back to what you'd see in a 1950s Ludwig or Slingerland catalog as far as sizes and colors go?

In fact, on the used market, traditional sized kits and colors are a bit higher in price, and there's less of them. Out of all those DW kits, there were only two in sorta traditional sizes that I could actually use: a 18x24, 10x13, and 14x16 in champagne sparkle, and 18x22, 9x12, 16x16, with a 6x14 snare in that broken glass traditional looking sparkle. Everything else had weird sizes, or really big bass drums and really small toms (I'm not sure why the 13x16 hanging floor tom is a thing, right? Or the 11x14 floor tom? WTH?). Or funnier still, who would order a kit in white marine pearl, and then deck out the shells in black hardware (black rims, hoops, and lugs)? Imagine that craziness. In DW world, forget trying to find a 14" or 16" deep bass drum. Those are super rare too. 18" is pretty much your only choice, which I can live with until you get to a gig and discover the drum riser is only 4-feet deep!

I know, I sound like an old man (get off my lawn with those funny-sized and funny colored drums!), but as I thought about it while looking around, there's a reason all that stuff is on eBay and Craigslist. I would suspect there are a lot more traditional kits out there to be had - but those owners aren't trying to get rid of them (unless your Larry and you just give stuff away)!
Old 07-03-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
It is interesting to note how some instruments have never changed at all. Other than colored horns (or being made out of plastic), brass and woodwinds are what they are (no more evolution?). Funny you should mention violins - my wife and I were in Italy back in March and went to one of the Florence art galleries (where David is) and they had a music section. As far as strings went, other than seeing a rare 3/4 sized contrabass violin with three strings, that classic shape built by Stradivarius hundreds of years ago is still the same. Whereas, ancient percussion instruments like tympani and noisemakers, have continued to evolve to this day (I can imagine if I were a modern tympani player, I'd absolutely hate the tympani options you had back in the 1800s). And literally the guitar stayed the same until that Les Paul guy came along and said, "I'll apply my electrical engineering to my instrument and amplify myself".

So I guess technology really gripped drums and guitars and that could be the cause of this influx of different shapes and sizes and colors. Used as a marketing tool, a wonderful trend to offer potential customers in their choices. But after looking around at what's available on the used market, I guess we're in this phase of people dumping what doesn't work and they go slightly back to what you'd see in a 1950s Ludwig or Slingerland catalog as far as sizes and colors go?

In fact, on the used market, traditional sized kits and colors are a bit higher in price, and there's less of them. Out of all those DW kits, there were only two in sorta traditional sizes that I could actually use: a 18x24, 10x13, and 14x16 in champagne sparkle, and 18x22, 9x12, 16x16, with a 6x14 snare in that broken glass traditional looking sparkle. Everything else had weird sizes, or really big bass drums and really small toms (I'm not sure why the 13x16 hanging floor tom is a thing, right? Or the 11x14 floor tom? WTH?). Or funnier still, who would order a kit in white marine pearl, and then deck out the shells in black hardware (black rims, hoops, and lugs)? Imagine that craziness. In DW world, forget trying to find a 14" or 16" deep bass drum. Those are super rare too. 18" is pretty much your only choice, which I can live with until you get to a gig and discover the drum riser is only 4-feet deep!

I know, I sound like an old man (get off my lawn with those funny-sized and funny colored drums!), but as I thought about it while looking around, there's a reason all that stuff is on eBay and Craigslist. I would suspect there are a lot more traditional kits out there to be had - but those owners aren't trying to get rid of them (unless your Larry and you just give stuff away)!
The bass drum thing is a real bummer. I typically end up buying older used kits, so I can get a bass drum of reasonable depth, haha. A 20" deep bass drum is so insanely impractical for any gigging drummer who, A) has to haul his own gear, and B) has to sometimes set up on very small stages/drum risers.

I remember when the Mapex Mydentity kits came out, where you could choose from a bunch of crazy finishes, and various powder coating options, and people went nuts with it. For a while, Craigslist, eBay, and the like were flooded with some of the ugliest kits imaginable. And good luck finding any used add-on drums in the future (at least matching ones).
Old 07-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

When it comes to buying and selling custom orders, it's like this (to me, anyways): The custom features one pays extra for end up becoming the things that people have to "put up with" should they choose to buy it. For example, I remember wanting to buy an instrument that was custom made, but I couldn't get over the types of inlays that were done on it. Granted, the original purchaser paid EXTRA for those inlays, but instead of the inlay being and asset, it actually hurt the resale value. I see this all of the time with drums: customs sizes or a wacky finish/wrap end up becoming "bargaining chips" for potential customers on the second-hand market. It's funny how that works.

To me, the lesson here is this: if you ever want to order something custom, make sure it's EXACTLY what you want and that you plan to never sell it. Chances are, you will never get your money out of it, and the more "custom" your order, the less you can maybe get for it.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

ill conceived is a term that pretty much sums it all up! Andy. You see it everywhere these days. Instant Experts trying to re-invent the wheel.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

With DW specifically I've seen a lot of 18" and 20" bass drums out there. I think part of that is the price tag. The consumer wants a DW because of the name, but doesn't have the loot to get a normal sized kit.

I've never been turned down or passed on due to the color or finish drums I owned. I've had Sparkle finish kits, bright colors, dark colors, but never got a complaint. I have however taken into consideration that I need to be a little neutral so I can fit any situation, so when I got my latest kit I made sure it could be acceptable for any possible gig.
YouTube
Old 07-04-2017, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

I guess what Bo is alluding to is that really a traditional stance is the most acceptable place to be. In most cases i think that is true. Concert toms at a wedding? probably not. Bar Room? Who cares. Does this kit cross the boundaries ? 26" by 14" ..14" by 10".. 18" by 16 " Blue/Olive Oyster. Too me it's a Rock / Big Band Style kit. Traditional? Yes .. Acceptable? Maybe not..

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 09-13-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:40 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
I guess what Bo is alluding to is that really a traditional stance is the most acceptable place to be. In most cases i think that is true. Concert toms at a wedding? probably not. Bar Room? Who cares. Does this kit cross the boundaries ? 26" by 14" ..14" by 10".. 18" by 16 " Blue/Olive Oyster. Too me it's a Rock / Big Band Style kit. Traditional? Yes .. Acceptable? Maybe not..
I owned a set of those: 13/16/24. I recall Bermuda calling it the "birthday cake" finish with some disdain. And two years later, Ludwig agreed and discontinued the finish. I liked it and most people were positive about it, but blue/olive was not a color you expected from the bandstand.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I owned a set of those: 13/16/24. I recall Bermuda calling it the "birthday cake" finish with some disdain. And two years later, Ludwig agreed and discontinued the finish. I liked it and most people were positive about it, but blue/olive was not a color you expected from the bandstand.
I just got a kit just like the one in the pic! Traditional Sizes, Unacceptable Finish! I can live with that.. I think the wrap is rather conservative really.. Probably why i got a good deal on it. Now it becomes collectable, thanks Bermuda..
Old 07-04-2017, 03:00 AM

Allowing the customer to custom order every part of their kit is in my opinion a cop out.
I know a fair bit about drums but I'm nowhere close to being an expert. If I want a kit I want to go to someone or a company who knows their stuff, has done all the hard work, and says to me " these are the small handful of configurations, these are the colours, if you order those colours the hardware will be this colour, which do you want?". That's a drum Company taking ownership of their product and curating what's available.
I'm reminded of an old Simpsons episode in which Homer was given the authority to design the perfect car for the average family. He had loads of great ideas, and predictably it all went completely wrong.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So, I theorize, because of some people new to drumming, or some pros desiring to try something new, this is why the used gear market is so saturated. People try things and discover they just don't work.
You mean like this monstrosity?

Name:  Bo_zebras_color.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  192.1 KB

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 07-04-2017, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Your theory about the resale of custom drums is correct.

But your theory about not getting gigs because your drum set is strange looking is not true. If you can play well, nobody cares what your drums look like.
(Unless of course you are taking away the spotlight from a performer with an over inflated ego.)

I have a couple of drum kits that are very conservative looking wood grain colors. I use them all the time.
But every once in a while for a rock and roll or rockabilly gig I drag out the kit that expresses my true personality.
( If I were to sell them, would anybody buy them........ LOL )

Old 07-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post

Attachment 78568
Exactly. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I played four weddings and a special event for Dr. Laura with that kit through the same booking agency, and they never called me again. Couldn't tell you if it was the kit or not, or if suddenly I just sucked and they had enough, but I felt a little meek about bringing it out after that. I'm pretty sure it was because of the sizes why it was so easy to sell though - 18x22/9x13/16x16/5x14 snare.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:32 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Your theory about the resale of custom drums is correct.

But your theory about not getting gigs because your drum set is strange looking is not true. If you can play well, nobody cares what your drums look like.
(Unless of course you are taking away the spotlight from a performer with an over inflated ego.)

I have a couple of drum kits that are very conservative looking wood grain colors. I use them all the time.
But every once in a while for a rock and roll or rockabilly gig I drag out the kit that expresses my true personality.

You're probably right. But it's cool that you have a choice depending on who and what you're playing for.

I was thinking of all those kids out there who save up all their money to buy that one work of art drumset, and then find out a Pearl Export in basic black is the best way to increase your dollar to note ratios ;)
Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was thinking of all those kids out there who save up all their money to buy that one work of art drumset, and then find out a Pearl Export in basic black is the best way to increase your dollar to note ratios ;)
Good point my friend...............

Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Good point my friend...............

I have a feeling I've uncovered a dark side to drums and drumming: it's like some kind of mid-life crisis. That zebra kit was fifteen years ago! I guess mentally that's where I should've been. Today I feel different about it.

But I did buy that guys DW broken glass sparkle kit today.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Anything with "ghost flames"... Or any kind of flames, really. *shudders*
Old 07-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
You bought another kit - whodathunkit ;)
This one's for actual playing ;)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

Wanna buy a Blue/Olive Oyster kit? Collectable/Big Sizes.. Evolutionary..
Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Indeed. How many times do you see "sounds awesome" in an advert? If that's the case, why are you selling it?
yeah, those 23 inch bass drums from dw reallly took off...hahaha what a stupid idea.
anyway there was a guy on here that was more of a huckster or a con-man than a real drum builder. im pretty sure he used that "sounds awesome" term a lot. he used to use the same pictures of the same made in japan kit placed in someones garden and acted like it was HIS latest design and what not. and the sound clips played on my cell phone were terrible at best but with all the hype people bought into it. All his so called wood finished kits are nothing but wraps and the poor people who receive these kits after purchase are to embarrassed to admit they fell for it and don't speak up. He used to advertise on his account here a lot but now just has a link to his buddies band which he hangs around with and bothers. LUDWIG RULES!!!!
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 07-05-2017, 03:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

OMG how long has this harangue lasted now?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post

Attachment 78568
Did you have a difficult time selling that kit?

Quote:

I wish I could see pictures of this (my computer network is blocking it).

As far as expressing my "true" personality, I think I've shown pics of this before. I wrapped this kit because I knew it would probably never leave the house, and I thought it was sort of a "fun" finish (I still do!). Of course, within a month of me wrapping my kit, I start playing with an Americana band. Now, this kit sits on a shelf with my more "conservative" kits in the cases and in the practice room. I had thought about selling it, but I'm pretty sure my 8-year-old son will murder me in my sleep. If I did sell them, I bet it would go one of two ways: either they would sell at a fairly high price or a very LOW price. Either way, I'm sure it would take a very special customer. Looks like I'm hanging onto them for a while. :)

Old 07-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Did you have a difficult time selling that kit?

Actually no. It went within seven days. But I think it was the standard sizes that sold them. Like I said, every DW kit I've ever seen on eBay or Craigslist has some kind of non-traditional thing going on with it. Really big bass drums with tiny hanging toms, or a weird finish combined with weird sizes. I've never seen a DW kit for sale that was traditional sizes like 8x12/9x13/16x16/14x22 (or a 16x22).

I think people who buy these DW kits either a) already had a traditional kit and wants to try something new and exciting - and for the money it better be exciting at least, or b) sees a lot of their heroes playing strange-sized DW kits not realizing that their situation is much different from their heroes situation. And that's ok, I just wanted to point out that in the DW used market, you never see traditional-sized drums up for sale in a subtle finish you could see yourself growing old with.

Those people that do have that, aren't selling.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I bet this one would take some time to sell on the used market too ;)
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
As far as expressing my "true" personality, I think I've shown pics of this before. I wrapped this kit because I knew it would probably never leave the house, and I thought it was sort of a "fun" finish (I still do!). Of course, within a month of me wrapping my kit, I start playing with an Americana band. Now, this kit sits on a shelf with my more "conservative" kits in the cases and in the practice room. I had thought about selling it, but I'm pretty sure my 8-year-old son will murder me in my sleep. If I did sell them, I bet it would go one of two ways: either they would sell at a fairly high price or a very LOW price. Either way, I'm sure it would take a very special customer. Looks like I'm hanging onto them for a while. :)

Can I just take a moment to break into your house and steal that kit?
Old 07-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Ouch!
Looking at this snare drum hurts my brain.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 AM

the Super Mario one is stunning! :D

on the topic: industrial processes and marketing made very really easy to give customizations and evolution in that instruments is quite ended, as for violins.

the second ones are now "classics" and born in an epoque were industrial processes, finisches were not so cheap and mainly they were for FEW people.
today buying a drum, a guitar is at everyone's hand. So here there are the only things can make an user decide to buy a "different" set: finishes.

You can choose 3,4,5 sound flavours but that's alla if there is not the eye's part.

is like the smartphones: and iphone1 and an old android can make same essential things a recent one can do: making phone calls, sms, connecting to internet. what makes people buy a new phone every 2 years? more connectivity, slight increased performance, design..."collateral" features, the main ones are in the older ones. like finishes does.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Ouch!
Looking at this snare drum hurts my brain.

That's one ugly looking finish and I swear on my soul that 99.9% of DW snares are 6.5x14 but anyways, don't imagine the snare selling well.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM

I see what you mean about weird sized DW ; I've just ran into a nice oyster finish DW : 24 13 16 18 - Fine.
Looking at details : it's a 24x22" !!!! How would you move it ! you can use it as a dog house for your rottweiler :-D
Last time I saw a nice DW set but.. gold hardware with green to black fade - yerk.

In France, on second hand market you'll find a lot of Superstar Hyperdrive, with those tiny toms and deep bass drum. A lot of people want to get rid it seems.

Traditional size is going to come back, I'm sure. 22x16 13x9 16x16 : it will work anytime.

But about traditional DW you can find some :
https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments...44.htm?ca=12_s

Very nice isn't it ?

Last edited by Tamaefx; 07-07-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
That's one ugly looking finish and I swear on my soul that 99.9% of DW snares are 6.5x14 but anyways, don't imagine the snare selling well.
I wouldn't pay a premium for that snare, that's for sure; however, it might be fun to have a "splash" of color on a drum set which has a more subtle finish.

And BTW, thanks for the kind words regarding my Super Mario drums! Many of the pics I took came out blurry, but here's one that (hopefully) shows how sharp the graphics came out:

Here's a before and after:

Old 07-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Not if you list it in Cincinnati!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
I see what you mean about weird sized DW ; I've just ran into a nice oyster finish DW : 24 13 16 18 - Fine.
Looking at details : it's a 24x22" !!!! How would you move it ! you can you it as a dog house for your rottweiler :-D
Last time I saw a nice DW set but.. gold hardware with green to black fade - yerk.

In France, on second hand market you'll find a lot of Superstar Hyperdrive, with those tiny toms and deep bass drum. A lot of people want to get rid it seems.

Traditional size is going to come back, I'm sure. 22x16 13x9 16x16 : it will work anytime.

But about traditional DW you can find some :
https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments...44.htm?ca=12_s

Very nice isn't it ?
That is nice! But in the used market, stuff like that is SUPER rare!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 PM

The way I see it, the appearance of your instrument (for any musician) is part of your personal brand -- it's how you present yourself. And, like it or not, you're going to get judged by that presentation and how it fits the way the band presents itself, how it fits the music genre, how it fits the audience and venue.

So do you want to appear professional? Classy? Rebellious? Wild and crazy? Humorous? You have all those choices. Just remember that your kit is a huge part of that visual presentation. Think of it as a job interview and dress to fit the job and workplace.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't pay a premium for that snare, that's for sure; however, it might be fun to have a "splash" of color on a drum set which has a more subtle finish.

And BTW, thanks for the kind words regarding my Super Mario drums! Many of the pics I took came out blurry, but here's one that (hopefully) shows how sharp the graphics came out:

Here's a before and after:

Too bad I can't plug in an NES or NES Controller and play some Super Mario Bros. on the shells
Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleyh View Post
The way I see it, the appearance of your instrument (for any musician) is part of your personal brand -- it's how you present yourself. And, like it or not, you're going to get judged by that presentation and how it fits the way the band presents itself, how it fits the music genre, how it fits the audience and venue.

So do you want to appear professional? Classy? Rebellious? Wild and crazy? Humorous? You have all those choices. Just remember that your kit is a huge part of that visual presentation. Think of it as a job interview and dress to fit the job and workplace.
Well stated. Stated well.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Matt Bo Eder

A new theory: the new millennia will be said to have produced some of the strangest looking drums ever. So like the 60s produced millions of black oyster Ringo kits that were residing in attics for decades and being revived now, there will be attics storing visually ugly drums, waiting to be discovered by another generation (hopefully).