DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:40 AM

Default New Phil Collins Long Form Interview

This week's episode of The Trap Set features a 70 minute conversation with Phil Collins about: his creative process, fear, parenthood, the way his legacy is perceived, his first drum set, and--of course--concert toms.

Then, Phil answers questions posed by fellow drummers such as Matt Cameron, Joey Waronker, Aaron Steele, and more.

Listen now!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 PM

Default Re: New Phil Collins Long Form Interview

Hey! Listened to the entire interview - very interesting, very enlightening, very engaging!

It took me a while to appreciate what a master Phil Collins is behind the drums, but now I recognize him as one of the finest drummers I've ever heard. He's a source of immense inspiration, and not just on his prog-rock recordings; I often go back and listen to cuts from Duke and Abacab for instruction on how to play a straight-ahead rock/pop groove.

So maybe I'm not a huge fan of his solo music - this is the Drummerworld forum, where we focus on drums and drumming. And few did it better than Phil Collins.

Thanks for the interview! Good stuff!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 PM

Yep, great interview with a great drummer, thanks alot!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for this. I'm a huge Collins fan, I think he's a monster behind the kit. He always seemed so energetic to me. That said, he seemed lost for words on many of the questions, maybe he was trying to avoid some of them. He seemed a little down, perhaps tired, or it was a bad time for an interview.
Fear and trepidation was a frequent answer for him. Despite his long list of accomplishments as a musician, my impression was that he's not in a very happy place right now. I am guessing there is considerable nerves about his upcoming shows.

Last edited by opentune; 06-30-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:00 PM

I'm an obsessed fan and have read just about every interview he has ever provided. The interview did a great job of avoiding the cliches Phil always has to answer ie what is in the air about, did he divorce his second wife by fax, did he move to switzerland to avoid paying taxes, etc. There were some genuinely moving parts to the interview.

That being said I felt that the interview was a little too much focused on the personal side. I would have liked more discussion on his artistry and especially his insights on his drumming career.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:42 PM

Saw Phil in Dublin last Sunday.
Fantastic gig, his 16yr old son Nic has all the signature parts of the songs down, including the full Genesis live version of "Invisible Touch"

Phil in an office chair for all the gig but gave his all in the performance, the voice is still there and a great showman. He seems much happier doing his day-job than talking about it.

One of my favourite drummers of all time. For anyone that hasn't heard them, check out Phil's playing on Robert Plants first two solo albums

Pictures at Eleven
The Principle of Moments

Cheers
Mick
Old 06-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

I love Phil and was a huge fan of his playing since the 70s, but he needs to stop performing and get healthy. He looks like he's over 90 now. I seriously doubt he's going to last much longer unless he focuses on his health.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
I love Phil and was a huge fan of his playing since the 70s, but he needs to stop performing and get healthy. He looks like he's over 90 now. I seriously doubt he's going to last much longer unless he focuses on his health.
This definitely came across in that interview.
And I agree, they focused on too much personal stuff in that interview, not enough on music.
The first questions were kind of bizarre: what was your first memory?