DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Go Fund Me Fundraising

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Same reaction for just $1, and you can light up 5 crackheads for the same money!

Do the kids still call them crackheads?
In downtown Oakland where I work, it's not un-common to get sneered at for "only" giving a dollar. I'm not at all joking.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:02 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I'm really glad I saw this thread because I am in bad need of a new Guru drum set. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now.

So I thought, "Gee, what a great idea it would be to just ask everyone here at DW!!"

So what do ya guys say? It'll cost each of you less than a cup of coffee.
How much if you're Mormon? :O
Old 06-23-2017, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Just one dime from all members will get you $5800.oo
Hey buddy, can ya spare a dime?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I can't wait till I have lived long enough to get all riled up about something "the kids" are doing and describe it all with generalizations like "these days" and "you people".
Don't hurry.... it is not the zenith of one's life to get riled up about the generation behind you. Mind you, younger folks have probably gotten riled up about all the baby boomers too.
I'm with Midnite Zephyr on this one actually. I give to downtrodden desperate people on the street if they look like they need it, and not for crack. I think some (not all) of these people would rather not be there. At a buck apiece, I can see 12 beggars faces smile with the cost I pay for a pair of drum sticks.
FWIW I think many GoFundMe's for a baseball team, a bicycle race or worse yet DRUMS, are lame, people begging with a keyboard. Wouldn't touch them.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Same reaction for just $1, and you can light up 5 crackheads for the same money!

I'm not sure. You can call them mattress-backs too if you wanna. I'm no kid. I forgot to mention meth-heads. They're more prevalent. I think the homeless guy who helped me was a tweaker. I know he was.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I'll give food but not money to panhandlers.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I think they just call them tweakers if they do meth. Not sure about crackheads though. I think they're still crackheads.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
In downtown Oakland where I work, it's not un-common to get sneered at for "only" giving a dollar. I'm not at all joking.
Beggars as choosers? I'd always heard that wasn't possible!
Old 06-23-2017, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'll give food but not money to panhandlers.
My wife and gave some guy asking for money some food that we got to go. He took it, but we watched as he walked through the parking lot and he dumped it in the first trash can he found.

At least he used the trash can.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Beggars as choosers? I'd always heard that wasn't possible!
There's some pretty hard-core gentrification of Oakland happening at a very fast pace. The mesh of people with tons of money in an area where historically people had next to no money is making for some interesting attitudes and situations.

It used to be that beggars would ask me if I had any "spare change". I haven't heard that in a long time. Now they're turning their nose up at the change.

However, they actually can afford to be choosers from what I can tell. The dedicated ones are probably making more than minimum wage pretty easily.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.................ask me if I had any "spare change"..........................
Don't worry mate, we have them here in Melbourne as well.

Yes. They're usually less than needy. The opportunists rather than the downtrodden.

And the ones I take the most delight in engaging: "Have got got some spare change?" I hear. "Sure mate!" I ask. "Can you break a $100?"

They love that one.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll bet your parents has some similar such nonsense to say about your generation when you were a lass.

I can't wait till I have lived long enough to get all riled up about something "the kids" are doing and describe it all with generalizations like "these days" and "you people".

Cep't there's old peepus on FB too. Its not the generation, its that social media has become too social.

Quote:

Inflation mate! Beggars are not immune.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:54 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
My wife and gave some guy asking for money some food that we got to go. He took it, but we watched as he walked through the parking lot and he dumped it in the first trash can he found.

At least he used the trash can.
Hey he could have given the food to someone who needed it. Scumbag. Not you Mitch!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
I'll bet your parents has some similar such nonsense to say about your generation when you were a lass.
The above quote is said about Les Ismore.

Am I the only one who doesn't believe Les is female?

I'm not buying it.

Hey, admittedly I may be wrong, but that's what my gut tells me. I never for a second thought Les was female.

Sorry Les no disrespect intended. It's fun to be a little ambiguous on the internet. Fun is good. As far as facts go...it just isn't sitting right with me.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey he could have given the food to someone who needed it.
Yeah, a lot of the street people are not starving. They just don't have any money, and they can't get a job for whatever reason.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
and they can't get a job for whatever reason.
That reason is frequently lack of work-ethic and/or drugs.

The only ones on the street I feel sorry for are the ones with mental issues who really have a hard time. Everyone else could get off their ass and work but don't.

My final thought on the matter is that I also have a tiny bit of respect because I hope and assume that if they're asking for other people's stuff, hopefully they aren't stealing people's stuff.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

So true story....I'm not stretching the truth whatsoever here.

I was in the grocery store the other day and a nicely dressed women with serious cash in jewelry hanging off of her was in front of me. When it was time to pay, she paid in food stamps. I thought damn, must be nice to pay for your groceries with other people's money, so you can buy jewelry...then I thought maybe they were fake anyway.

When I got out to my car with my groceries, she was done loading the trunk of her absolutely loaded, cherry, BMW 6 series sedan. Last I checked, those started at 81k! Some people have absolutely no shame in begging for your cash and living it up on your dime, dollar, or thousand....
Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 PM

"...she was done loading the trunk of her absolutely loaded, cherry, BMW 6 series sedan. Last I checked, those started at 81k!"

Blatant! Awful! So, did you report to the authorities?
Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfingers View Post
"...she was done loading the trunk of her absolutely loaded, cherry, BMW 6 series sedan. Last I checked, those started at 81k!"

Blatant! Awful! So, did you report to the authorities?
I was so pissed, it didn't occur to me at the time, but I keep looking for her. My boss has seen her too, so we're both on the lookout.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
So true story....I'm not stretching the truth whatsoever here.

I was in the grocery store the other day and a nicely dressed women with serious cash in jewelry hanging off of her was in front of me. When it was time to pay, she paid in food stamps. I thought damn, must be nice to pay for your groceries with other people's money, so you can buy jewelry...then I thought maybe they were fake anyway.

When I got out to my car with my groceries, she was done loading the trunk of her absolutely loaded, cherry, BMW 6 series sedan. Last I checked, those started at 81k! Some people have absolutely no shame in begging for your cash and living it up on your dime, dollar, or thousand....
This is frequently what it looks like when someone with a great job but lack of savings ethic loses their amazing job. For a few months, they hold onto the lifestyle as much as they can, but the government assistance will not support that. In a few months, unless they replace the income they'll end up selling a lot of the expensive stuff to try and pay bills while holding onto their high priced mortgage. Remember that family food assistance is based primarily on income rather than assets to a point. I could see an argument that we should force people to sell possessions before they get food assistance, but I think that has a bit of a snowball effect and can demoralize extensively.

It's what we bill as "the american dream". Live right up to your means and as far beyond as your credit rating will allow. Why save when you can borrow and always count on your monthly income? There's an entire system relying on us to do this!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The only ones on the street I feel sorry for are the ones with mental issues who really have a hard time. Everyone else could get off their ass and work but don't.
Trouble is... how to tell? Nobody is wearing button or tattoo with 'mentally ill' on it. I give when I feel and don't think twice.

Larry, I too have always thought Les was a man from the day I joined here. There are men named Les, and I've just always assumed. Doesn't really matter, ...
Old 06-23-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I'm not buying it.
Let's start a fundraising page to get Les the operation! :O
Old 06-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

My friend did a Go Fund me page for his vision. It's legitimate...

https://www.gofundme.com/23jtxq5g

He is an amazing Keyboard/Hammond player, and he plays a mean set of drums too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yb-frDYHds

https://youtu.be/MWfYy_8I6wI
Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The above quote is said about Les Ismore.

I'm not buying it.

Hey, admittedly I may be wrong, but that's what my gut tells me. I never for a second thought Les was female.

Sorry Les no disrespect intended. It's fun to be a little ambiguous on the internet. Fun is good. As far as facts go...it just isn't sitting right with me.

Larry its so sweet when your feminine side comes out, the nurturing, the need for attention.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Clearly, you need to be working harder to be making more money to be giving more away. Shame on you.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:04 PM

I don't post here much,mostly just lurk. But it it really surprises me how people, including mods, can be so casually mean spirited, and just dog pile on to see who can make the ugliest remark. Maybe the internet is too anonymous and makes it easier to be callous than a face to face meeting.

I didnt agree with the original poster's concept, but tried to say so politely. He may be really young, or maybe just didn't think it through...either way as a fellow human being I think he deserves common courtesy.

I saw the term "garbage people" used. Do people really feel that way about fellow humans? If so I'd say that's a big part of what's going wrong with the world today. Sure there may be a certain percentage of people who don't want to work. But my guess is the vast majority of unemployed or under employed people would love to be able to do better.

Not every one has the luck to born into a middle class or above family, or to have the advantages of a good education. When I was growing up my dad supported a family of six with one job. My wife and I both work full time to try to support a similar standard of living today.

Sorry about the soap box, it just seems to me the world would be a nicer place if everyone (especially us sensitive artistic types) just used a little kindness and empathy, and maybe took a deep breath before attacking.

Now if you feel the need, pile on. I was a cop for six years, so I doubt you'll call me anything I haven't been called before. But if so, I'm a big boy, and can take it.
And seriously, I hope every fellow drummer here has a great day !!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I was so pissed, it didn't occur to me at the time, but I keep looking for her. My boss has seen her too, so we're both on the lookout.
Hell, if I reported everyone I saw doing that when I lived in New Orleans, I'd still be on the phone.

And trust me, it's not just people who have lost gigs. In front of the subsidized housing neighborhoods you'd see some pretty nice cars - Cadillacs and recent-model Pontiacs, lots of older cars with some serious pimping, including rims that cost more than I make in a month.

Turns out, when you don't have to pay for rent, you can afford a pretty sweet ride.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo View Post
I don't post here much,mostly just lurk. But it it really surprises me how people, including mods, can be so casually mean spirited, and just dog pile on to see who can make the ugliest remark. Maybe the internet is too anonymous and makes it easier to be callous than a face to face meeting.

I didnt agree with the original poster's concept, but tried to say so politely. He may be really young, or maybe just didn't think it through...either way as a fellow human being I think he deserves common courtesy.

I saw the term "garbage people" used. Do people really feel that way about fellow humans? If so I'd say that's a big part of what's going wrong with the world today. Sure there may be a certain percentage of people who don't want to work. But my guess is the vast majority of unemployed or under employed people would love to be able to do better.

Not every one has the luck to born into a middle class or above family, or to have the advantages of a good education. When I was growing up my dad supported a family of six with one job. My wife and I both work full time to try to support a similar standard of living today.

Sorry about the soap box, it just seems to me the world would be a nicer place if everyone (especially us sensitive artistic types) just used a little kindness and empathy, and maybe took a deep breath before attacking.

Now if you feel the need, pile on. I was a cop for six years, so I doubt you'll call me anything I haven't been called before. But if so, I'm a big boy, and can take it.
And seriously, I hope every fellow drummer here has a great day !!
You're clearly a nice guy. We need more like you, and I'm serious. And thank you for your service.

But I think - and I could be speaking out of line here, I can really only speak for myself, of course - that a lot of the anger towards someone pleading for 'drum money' stems from an obvious inability to sort out one's priorities.

If someone's so poor that they need to beg for a drum kit, surely there are other areas of the person's life that need attending first. How about begging for health insurance money? That seems worth begging for. How about begging for money to take some college classes, or a vocational course? That could have a serious effect on future earning potential. How about begging for anything that addresses the essentials of life first - and drumming is most definitely NOT an 'essential'.

If you're so poor that you need to beg for a drum kit, I'm guessing a lack of drumming isn't the biggest problem in your life. Priorities...sorting those out is usually the first step in making any significant improvements in one's life.

EDIT: Incidentally, this kind of thinking used to be 'default' thinking: begging is an absolute LAST RESORT, to be employed only when one cannot possibly take care of life's essentials. Today it's a different story; the entire idea of mooching or sponging no longer has anywhere near the stigma it used to.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrudd View Post
You're clearly a nice guy. We need more like you, and I'm serious. And thank you for your service.

But I think - and I could be speaking out of line here, I can really only speak for myself, of course - that a lot of the anger towards someone pleading for 'drum money' stems from an obvious inability to sort out one's priorities.

If someone's so poor that they need to beg for a drum kit, surely there are other areas of the person's life that need attending first. How about begging for health insurance money? That seems worth begging for. How about begging for money to take some college classes, or a vocational course? That could have a serious effect on future earning potential. How about begging for anything that addresses the essentials of life first - and drumming is most definitely NOT an 'essential'.

If you're so poor that you need to beg for a drum kit, I'm guessing a lack of drumming isn't the biggest problem in your life. Priorities...sorting those out is usually the first step in making any significant improvements in one's life.

I completely agree. I'm not defending his idea at all. I just think it would be more constructive to try to get across that the idea is not great without everyone diving for the throat like a pack of coyotes. I guess I am saying we can have a civilized exchange of ideas just as easily as a Jerry Springer style shouting match. Much more relaxing and effective in my opinion.😊
Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
This is frequently what it looks like when someone with a great job but lack of savings ethic loses their amazing job. For a few months, they hold onto the lifestyle as much as they can, but the government assistance will not support that. In a few months, unless they replace the income they'll end up selling a lot of the expensive stuff to try and pay bills while holding onto their high priced mortgage. Remember that family food assistance is based primarily on income rather than assets to a point. I could see an argument that we should force people to sell possessions before they get food assistance, but I think that has a bit of a snowball effect and can demoralize extensively.

It's what we bill as "the american dream". Live right up to your means and as far beyond as your credit rating will allow. Why save when you can borrow and always count on your monthly income? There's an entire system relying on us to do this!
True to some extent, but my wife falls into the minority category, actually I do too, but I don't look it. She was approached by a lady trying to talk her into getting on the "program" because she was a minority. My wife went along to see what this was all about and she couldn't have easily taken advantage of the system for no other reason than being a minority looking woman. The only real requirement was to be sure to vote for the "right" party, so her benefits wouldn't be taken away. There are no checks and balances like you'd think. Selling your soul is all that's required.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Larry its so sweet when your feminine side comes out, the nurturing, the need for attention.
Perfect example! Thank you. Again, I may be completely backwards, but my little voice tells me that this isn't something a woman would say. Sounds a tad aggressive, sarcastic, defensive, to me. Obviously we will never know. I can't trust what you say on the matter at this point, which further supports my suspicions.

Don't get me wrong, if my suspicions are correct, I think it's incredibly cool and creative of you. I'm just envious because it never even occurred to me approach the forum like that lol.

If there's a new member in the near future, it could be me trying on an alter ego, just sayin :)

Hey Jon and John, is that against the rules?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Perfect example! Thank you. Again, I may be completely backwards, but my little voice tells me that this isn't something a woman would say. Sounds a tad aggressive, sarcastic, defensive, to me. Obviously we will never know. I can't trust what you say on the matter at this point, which further supports my suspicions.

Don't get me wrong, if my suspicions are correct, I think it's incredibly cool and creative of you. I'm just envious because it never even occurred to me approach the forum like that lol.

If there's a new member in the near future, it could be me trying on an alter ego, just sayin :)

Great point Larry, I'm logging back in as Chris, Kris or Pat and only making references to my spouse or the other one! :)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

It all makes me wonder why we call the USA a "Christian Nation".

I hope I haven't offended anybody by this remark.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I always had you figured for a tosser...
Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Well, I've never been a cop, if that helps feed your suspicion, but I do play a lawyer here sometimes on DW. And there's members here who question if I even play drums, imagine that.

You're certainly entitled to your opinon, what makes this forum great. How could we not love someone with 18K+ posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I always had you figured for a tosser...
I can honestly tell you I don't wear underwear if that helps.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
It all makes me wonder why we call the USA a "Christian Nation"..
RRRRiiight! Depends on which one you are, I think.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 PM

All the homeless/beggar talk reminds me of an incident back when I was a kid...

My mom, my brother, and I had just come out of the grocery store and gotten into the car, when a homeless man approached her window, asking for money. Now at the time, we were broke. But my mom would always give money to homeless people if she had it. She had no folding cash on her, but the ashtray in the car was full of change (she didn't smoke). So she grabbed a handful (probably a couple bucks worth) and gave it to the guy. He then proceeded to look at the change in his hand, and subsequently throw it in the car window in her face, saying something to the effect of "I don't take change", and stormed off. Now, I hated my mom, so I thought it was pretty damn funny. But still, that's some nerve on that guy.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Administrator

I would agree that this has run it's course. I don't think anyone was going for the throat but maybe a battle of the wits, or battle to be the funniest. Sorry as well if I have offended.,.