DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 AM

Default Go Fund Me Fundraising

Hey DW!
I want to ask all of you something,
What do you guys think of someone using a Go Fund Me fundraiser to raise money to purchase a dream drum?
If a person has really bad credit and every paycheck and gig money they make doesn't make ends meet, should they use the fundraising medium?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Go Fund Me Fundraising

In my opinion, dreams are best realized through hard work and self funding. And I'm not a wealthy person. Hang in there. If you're gigging you must have a functional instrument....
Old 06-22-2017, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

I'd think things of that person that can't be posted on a family forum like this.

If one wants to acquire dreams, I highly suggest reading The Compound Effect
by Darren Hardy
Old 06-22-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo View Post
In my opinion, dreams are best realized through hard work and self funding. And I'm not a wealthy person. Hang in there. If you're gigging you must have a functional instrument....
LIKE!
There was no like button so...
Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

People can ask for whatever the hell they want. I'm no more fazed by a request for drum money than I am by a hobo in the street requesting money for booze. Neither of them are gonna see a red cent of my hard earned anyway, so what do I care?

I have more of an issue with anyone stupid enough to stump up the cash in the first place.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:48 AM

Drummerworld seriously needs to add a like button a la Facebook!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 AM

"But hey, if you get hit by a truck or your house burns down, I'm probably gonna pitch in and help out because tragedies and accidents suck. But if you're able-bodied and expect me finance your fun time, I'm gonna tell you to get off my lawn, unless you're a teenager. Then I'm gonna tell you to get off my lawn after you cut it for a fair price."

that made me laugh on the inside.

Yeah, I wouldn't start a gofundme for a dream drumkit. There's a lot better things to donate money (not to play the starving kids in africa card, but starving kids in africa is an example) to than someone having the ultimate drumkit. That's the kind of thing you have to work extra hard for.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3r1_drums View Post
"But hey, if you get hit by a truck or your house burns down, I'm probably gonna pitch in and help out because tragedies and accidents suck. But if you're able-bodied and expect me finance your fun time, I'm gonna tell you to get off my lawn, unless you're a teenager. Then I'm gonna tell you to get off my lawn after you cut it for a fair price."

that made me laugh on the inside.

Yeah, I wouldn't start a gofundme for a dream drumkit. There's a lot better things to donate money (not to play the starving kids in africa card, but starving kids in africa is an example) to than someone having the ultimate drumkit. That's the kind of thing you have to work extra hard for.
I prefer to give money to sick people, especially sick kids through trusted organisations. I would have no problem funding a kit for a public school or the like. Funding the dream kit of a working grown man ? I would prefer to offer him or help him find a part-time job so he would have some sense of merit when sitting behind the kit. Unless than man was in a special condition, then we could talk.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:12 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I had a Go Fund Me when I was younger called Work/Save. It really works, and you feel good about yourself in the end.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Grunt, that reminds me of a conversation I had with a Mother standing in front of Wal-Mart last year. Her son was asking for donations so his team could travel to a tournament. I asked 'what are you offering?' The response was 'Whatcha mean?" I answered, 'are you washing cars or mowing lawns or something?'
No! was the answer barked at me from the kid's Mom who was (ironically) talking on her i-phone.
So...I'd recommend a part time job, save for a great drum (the new and used market is saturated with them).
$50.00 saved a month was how I bought my first snare drum in 1984.

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 06-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

There should be a new funding page that is moderated and fact checked. Only for people in serious need of help / money. Family's with crazy medical bills, Kids who can't get food etc.

If there was people looking into this and confirming it I think it would do well and get money to the right places. The problem is the volunteer time and funding it would need to achieve this.

It is too easy to make a kickstarter/gofundme now saying I'm so sick, I'm dying etc that pretty much ALL of them are taken as being scams.

Heck half of the kickstarters I have paid for items never came into production too.

If your already gigging you have drums. There are many people in the world who can't afford a single drum. I myself have recorded many albums and been drumming 20 years and have never owned my "dream" drum. I finally bought a USED Pearl reference snare around 32 years old. I have never even owned a brand new drum. Cymbals I have had to buy do to breakage and some hardware trigger modules etc.

Trust me when I say you will appreciate it and treat it much better if you work for it and pay for it with your own money. There is something about saving up for something for months and thinking about it and finally getting it that is lost in this day and age. Everyone just buys items on credit, play them for a week and on to the next thing.

Long story short, I tried fundraising when my dog required a $4000 surgery and got $200 from family and that was it. Obviously I still did it but it sure hurt the wallet.

My band tried it to get some pre-sales on our album to see if we could get a bigger run and we made $20. haha.

I think your just going to end up disappointed when your mom is the only one to donate.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Every day I hear or read something that makes me lose hope insociety. Since when did it become okay to even ask if it was okay to live irresistibly, screw up your life and credit, then ask others to help you maintain the lifestyle?

I can't even count how many ways the premise of the question is wrong, much less asking it. I usually roll my eyes and keep my mouth shut, when something annoys me, but this thread....thanks from crapping in my cherios, now get back to work!

Last edited by AzHeat; 06-24-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I can't even count how many ways the premise of the question is wrong, much less asking it. I usually roll my eyes and keep my mouth shut, when something annoys me, but this thread....thanks from crapping in my cherios, now get back to work!
GFM is sort of a modern day 'beggars alley'. Just like the alley, it's full of lies, deceit, and twisted stories of woe. Just like the alley, there's no way to ensure that what you give will actually be used in the manner you were lead to believe.

At the end of the alley is a shelter and a soup kitchen. They are more than willing to accept cash donations and use them in a more appropriate/ethical manner. They'll also give you a tax receipt.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

I agree with all of ya.

How did we get to this stage in society where that's even a thing.

Just shaking my head.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Gold Member

I just got screwed out of $5600 on getting my deck redone (which i will have to now redo myself).. i think i will forget actually working for the money and just gofundme... Ohh wait.. i have a job.. will just suck it up and work :)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
GoFundMe and other sites where people/groups ask for money to fund their activities and not offering supporters anything in return is nothing less than internet panhandling. Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean you're entitled to do it.
Yep. I am basically generous and willing to help for the right reasons, but I'm very judicious about where my hard-earned resources are passed along. I never give anything for selfish requests. I have no time for mooching, or moochers.

Bermuda
Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIL2016 View Post
If a person has really bad credit and every paycheck and gig money they make doesn't make ends meet, should they use the fundraising medium?
In a word, no. They have other things to address besides their wish list.

Even if they wanted to raise money to get out of debt, the answer is still no. It's a perversion of the principles of fundraising.

Bermuda
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
How did we get to this stage in society where that's even a thing.
I can't think of a time in history where begging wasn't "a thing".

The only prerequisite is that a person needs to be devoid of pride and shame, or have a need that supersedes those two principles.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:00 PM

I agree with much of the sentiment that's been posted here...but ultimately I don't have any problem with anyone crowd-funding anything.

I don't see the big deal. It's not mandatory - you don't want to give, don't give! And if someone else DOES want to give - even to such a superficial, selfish 'cause' - how does that affect you?

Do NOT get me wrong: I would NEVER even DREAM of crowd-funding drum equipment. I find the very idea embarrassing, and I'd be ashamed to accept money that I hadn't earned.

And conversely, I would never donate to something so contemptible.

But if a drummer lacks enough sense of pride and self-worth that he would stoop to begging for a drum, what should I care? I'd never do it. And if there are people dumb enough to contribute, how is that any skin off my nose? I'd never contribute. End of story.

I related this story here before, but I once followed a girl on GFM that was seeking to raise $5000 to bring her bicycle - which was constructed to resemble a unicorn - to New York City, so that she could 'brighten everyone's day with the magic of a unicorn.' I'm not kidding.

And she GOT it. $5000. Again, not kidding. Sure, it's bothersome and annoying and abhorrent, but it did not effect my life one iota. Sometimes that's all we can hope for.

Some are calling the internet the Last Bastion of Freedom, and part of being free is being free to be stupid.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
No Fu@*ing Way!

I posted this on Facebook nearly 3 years ago in response to someone using GoFundMe to buy drum gear:
What if they want to buy Ludwig drums but can only afford Gretsch...?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
Grunt, that reminds me of a conversation I had with a Mother standing in front of Wal-Mart last year. Her son was asking for donations so his team could travel to a tournament. I asked 'what are you offering?' The response was 'Whatcha mean?" I answered, 'are you washing cars or mowing lawns or something?'
No! was the answer barked at me from the kid's Mom who was (ironically) talking on her i-phone.
So...I'd recommend a part time job, save for a great drum (the new and used market is saturated with them).
$50.00 saved a month was how I bought my first Sonor snare drum in 1984.
Girl Scouts used to go door to door to sell thie cookies, now Mom sells them at work or they sit in front of a store, so they can sell the most and go to Disney. Save the Disney money and use it for the scout troop.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Girl Scouts used to go door to door to sell thie cookies, now Mom sells them at work or they sit in front of a store, so they can sell the most and go to Disney. Save the Disney money and use it for the scout troop.
I give them a pass, because at least we get cookies in return... although at $5/box, they're no longer a very good value. And in front of stores, there are always scouts there, too. It would be different if the moms were asking flat out for donations, just for the good of the program. That should be the actual scouts' job. And even then, I'd want one of them to start a fire or tie a knot, or tie a knot and start it on fire. I'd pay $5 for that, and my diet wouldn't be compromised!

Bermuda
Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

You should probably go fund yourself, like really hard.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I'd want one of them to start a fire or tie a knot, or tie a knot and start it on fire. I'd pay $5 for that

Bermuda
OK, I am seriously laughing out loud. People are looking at me.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
You should probably go fund yourself, like really hard.
I looked into the gofundyourself domain a while back... it was already gone. :(
Old 06-22-2017, 09:04 PM

I have a personal policy regarding solicitations of any kind, and it has served me well: I don't give money to anyone who asks me for it. That means phone callers, door-to-door sales, bums on the street, selfish fundraising, whatever. I may relax that rule at my discretion, such as girl scouts at a table full of cookies, a busker who actually does something to earn a tip, etc. Apart from that, I have no remorse about hanging onto my hard-earned cash.

Bermuda
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 PM

I hate panhandlers. I see people loitering at intersections with coffee cans and crappy printer paper handouts pretending to collect for charity. They always have little kids with them who they send out into the street at red lights to walk between cars and knock on windows. The adults are always wearing high-visibility vests while they kids are just out there in their regular clothes. They're garbage people and they're raising worthless, shiftless kids, while also putting those kids in incredible danger.

Last year I saw a group of people spread out at all four corners of an intersection. They all had the same sign, claiming they were collecting money for a homeless single mom who couldn't find a job. The young woman they were collecting for was also there. She was wearing clean clothes with her purse was strapped over her shoulder. She clearly wasn't homeless but was just a deadbeat. She also was carrying her toddler. She was walking out into the street and standing at people's windows, all while this little kid was in her arms. I called the cops when I saw that.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey DW!
I want to ask all of you something,
What do you guys think of someone using a Go Fund Me fundraiser to raise money to purchase a dream drum?
Quote:
Drummerworld seriously needs to add a like button a la Facebook!

The magic word was said FACEBOOK, its taking over peoples consciousness, Zuckerberg wants to see 'everyone' get a monthly stipend just for existing, doing nothing, the millennials are being socially conditioned right bf their own eyes. Zuckerberg for president in 2032.

Lets 'not' have a like button on DW... just because FB 'does' have one.

Quote:
Yep. I am basically generous and willing to help for the right reasons, but I'm very judicious about where my hard-earned resources are passed along. I never give anything for selfish requests. I have no time for mooching, or moochers.

Bermuda

What exactly is the difference between a a beggar and a free loader?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

... I like my last post btw, just so you all know.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

I often give money to charity/fundraising schemes that are health related or people genuinely in need in general as I feel it's the right thing to do and I can spare some cash, even if it's not a lot.

Would I fund a stranger that just wants a top of the range kit without any of the above factored into it? Sorry but it's a no.

There are often ways to earn a little extra cash or make sacrifices to save for something (obviously saying that not knowing your exact circumstances). Plus it will make that purchase even more sweeter the day it happens.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

I like to give money to panhandlers on the street. I just hate it when they stand in front of a store asking everybody walking in or out. I like to see an alcoholic's or a crackhead's eyes light up when you hand them a 5 dollar bill.

The other day, I got a flat tire and a homeless person helped me change it. I have a bad back right now, so I needed help. He helped me, and I gave him a $20 dollar bill. He started asking me if I knew if there was a pipe shop in the shopping mall across the street. I told him he could have mine, but he didn't want a Marijuana pipe. I knew where that $20 was going, but I don't care. He saved me about $100 because I didn't have to call the Tow Truck guy to help me.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
The magic word was said FACEBOOK, its taking over peoples consciousness, Zuckerberg wants to see 'everyone' get a monthly stipend just for existing, doing nothing, the millennials are being socially conditioned right bf their own eyes. Zuckerberg for president in 2032.
I'll bet your parents has some similar such nonsense to say about your generation when you were a lass.

I can't wait till I have lived long enough to get all riled up about something "the kids" are doing and describe it all with generalizations like "these days" and "you people".

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 06-22-2017, 11:43 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
I give them a pass, because at least we get cookies in return... although at $5/box, they're no longer a very good value. And in front of stores, there are always scouts there, too. It would be different if the moms were asking flat out for donations, just for the good of the program. That should be the actual scouts' job. And even then, I'd want one of them to start a fire or tie a knot, or tie a knot and start it on fire. I'd pay $5 for that, and my diet wouldn't be compromised!

Bermuda
I would agree with all of this other than they need to teach/tell the girls to approach and not just stand there like a vending machine. The last time I bought from them I asked the three girls there what their favorite cookie was and bought a box of those. Because of diet, last year I bought one box and gave it right back, so in essence a donation. You are right in getting something in return.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I'd like to see the ad. Hi, I am a drummer with bad credit, from past bad money management skills, and I would like to buy a dream drum. What makes it a dream drum is that it is really expensive. Right now all of my paycheck and gig money just isn't paying my bills. So I was wondering if you could donate to help me buy this drum. I already tried Make A Wish foundation but they told me to go pound sand. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
What exactly is the difference between a beggar and a free loader?
A freeloader is usually more cheerful, might even be a relative. :)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would agree with all of this other than they need to teach/tell the girls to approach and not just stand there like a vending machine.
The girls here do, though sometimes with some prompting from mom (or the occasional dad.) Girl Scout cookies are an institution though, you always get something for your money. I suppose moochers are, too, you still get nothing for your money.

Bermuda
Old 06-23-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
I like to give money to panhandlers on the street. I just hate it when they stand in front of a store asking everybody walking in or out. I like to see an alcoholic's or a crackhead's eyes light up when you hand them a 5 dollar bill.
Same reaction for just $1, and you can light up 5 crackheads for the same money!

Do the kids still call them crackheads?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

I'm really glad I saw this thread because I am in bad need of a new Guru drum set. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now.

So I thought, "Gee, what a great idea it would be to just ask everyone here at DW!!"

So what do ya guys say? It'll cost each of you less than a cup of coffee.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do the kids still call them crackheads?
There is a bus stop in my neighborhood where the homeless and the meth heads congregate in the morning. I see theme every Sunday when I'm getting on the freeway to go to my church gig. I call them the "Crackhead Coalition". I tell my wife that I know the area has become all gentrified when they are gone. I'll miss them...

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 06-23-2017, 12:45 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I'm really glad I saw this thread because I am in bad need of a new Guru drum set. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now.

So I thought, "Gee, what a great idea it would be to just ask everyone here at DW!!"

So what do ya guys say? It'll cost each of you less than a cup of coffee.
Just one dime from all members will get you $5800.oo