DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:33 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default A way back machine gig!

I don't normally rant about a gig, but in this case, I must. It's been bugging me since Saturday night.

It was another case of meeting another musician on another gig, and him asking me if I'd be interested in helping him out for his gig (that happened this Saturday). At this point in my life, I'm very used to just showing up and playing with strangers and no rehearsal. I can handle talking down a tune or at least getting a song list and faking my way through without anyone knowing. But this job really took the cake.

I should've known what I was in for when I arrived: it just so happened that I had the nicest car parked outside (it was a dive bar anyway). What ensued I thought was worse. We didn't start on time. That's a big red flag in my book. Another big red flag: all the noodling being done by the other musicians in between songs.
The biggest red flag was this particular band just jumping into songs that they didn't know all the way through, and then just having it fall apart at the half-way point. Of course, they couldn't control their volume - the room was only maybe 25'x12', and the guitarist who owned the crappy little PA was insisting everyone have a monitor. My God - how loud were these guys gonna get?

The two funny exchanges that made me want to ask, "Are you on drugs?" were:

guy: Yeah man, when you hit that reggae thing just right, they call it "the bubble"
me: Cool.
guy: Yeah, it's called the bubble
me: Got it.
guy: They call it the bubble
me: I think I heard you the first time.

then later,

bass player: you have to sing Message in a bottle - we have to send out an SOS
me: ok
bass player: no, we have to send out an SOS
me: I heard you
bass player: we really have to send out an SOS
me: then start the f$%#*^ song!

A friend of mine told me it sounds like a garage band. Just the way these guys were always late, and noodling around, I totally forgot what it was like to be in a band when I was 15. Maybe my expectations have become too high?

I was in hell for four hours. But I feel better now. I'm now going to have to always be booked every time these guys call. No amount of money is worth this.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: A way back machine gig!

Just reading it was painful. Can't imagine four hours of it. Yikes!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Just reading it was painful. Can't imagine four hours of it. Yikes!
When I was alot younger, I had already jettisoned those wanna-be musicians from my life for just not having it together. I mean really, how hard is it to show up and start on time? What even made me feel worse was that this bar had hired these guys for a few gigs before this one. So I couldn't think much of the people running the place, either.

At least the guys in the band weren't jerks, but my expectations were just too high, I guess.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 AM
Gold Member

Not picky at all. Good music shouldn't be forced. If it is, then all fun is lost. At least for some of us, it's why we play....
Old 06-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

"We have to send out an SOS."

Hahahaha. How old were these guys? That's hilarious. Well, at least you got some good stories out of the experience.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Gold Member

I can appreciate that you are a professional, and as such the things you described are probably incredibly irritating. However, I think sometimes we forget music is supposed to be fun. I haven't played covers in years, so I may have a different take now, but sometimes playing with a loose group of guys who just don't care that much is a blast. Takes all the pressure off and lets you just flow with it. In my experience the "professionals" are the most difficult to play with because it becomes about everything but having fun.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

After reading your post, is it any wonder why the other drummer didn't show up?

Your rant is well justified.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseownzu View Post
I can appreciate that you are a professional, and as such the things you described are probably incredibly irritating. However, I think sometimes we forget music is supposed to be fun. I haven't played covers in years, so I may have a different take now, but sometimes playing with a loose group of guys who just don't care that much is a blast. Takes all the pressure off and lets you just flow with it. In my experience the "professionals" are the most difficult to play with because it becomes about everything but having fun.
I think this would depend on goals and circumstances. I'm far from a professional, but really like getting things right. When guys are loose and having fun and we aren't trying to accomplish anything but have fun then who cares. If we have to get something done and they are loose and don't care and you do, then different story. I'm sitting in with some guys right now who can't seem to get their parts down. What should have been quick run throughs have turned into practice after practice of the same mistakes over and over. Definitely not fun and the stress level is off the charts.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I think this would depend on goals and circumstances. I'm far from a professional, but really like getting things right. When guys are loose and having fun and we aren't trying to accomplish anything but have fun then who cares. If we have to get something done and they are loose and don't care and you do, then different story. I'm sitting in with some guys right now who can't seem to get their parts down. What should have been quick run throughs have turned into practice after practice of the same mistakes over and over. Definitely not fun and the stress level is off the charts.

I've only had to fire two band members:

1. A guy got busted with drugs on the way home from a gig. I was in a Christian-based band at the time.

and

2. A guy NEVER NEVER NEVER got a lead right. He missed notes like crazy. We gave him a YEAR to learn the parts. He never did. Stick an acoustic guitar in his hands, and he's an animal. Stick an electric guitar in his hands, and he can never get a lead right. I never understood it.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Stick an acoustic guitar in his hands, and he's an animal. Stick an electric guitar in his hands, and he can never get a lead right. I never understood it.
I once knew a guy who painted houses for a living. Put an easel in front of him and he'd blow it every time.

;-)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Face it, Bo. You're a snob now.

(just kidding!!)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Rant? I thought I was reading a script from movie scene and I was picturing the 'guy' as T.J. Miller

Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM

Excuse you, not all bands at 15 are like that ;)

In all seriousness, that does sound like a painful experience. As was said before, at least they didn't care that much about it and just wanted to have some fun
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a bad night at a public jam, not a public show!

You mentioned something that really gets my goat... Starting a song they don't know.

So sick of guitar players knowing one iconic lick to a song and not knowing how to play the thing through. When a song doesn't make it to completion I call it a "rock block".
Old 06-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Well, usually, if a venue is hiring a band with a definite start time, to provide music for dancing and continued drinking, then the fun is in making that happen, no?

If you wanna have fun, and we're at somebody's house with no agenda, then ok, I can do that too.

In this case, as soon as someone says "venue paying money", that means "give them what they want and don't muck around". Which to me, also translates to "know how to be on time and know your material". There's no reason that can't be fun - the fun is nailing your parts and being part of a team moving towards a common goal, or is that not what "band" means?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Where was the gig Bo?

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Just wondered what having the nicest cars parked outside had anything to do with story (and i like cars)

Were they some rich dudes who can afford to blow money on expensive musical gears too? And was messing around with undeserved skillsets? Not hating. Tbh all 3 of my bandmates drive Audi A4/S4/A5's each and me a honda civic si :))
Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Where was the gig Bo?
North of Pasadena

I don't want to give out too much information. They could be watching me.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
Just wondered what having the nicest cars parked outside had anything to do with story (and i like cars)

Were they some rich dudes who can afford to blow money on expensive musical gears too? And was messing around with undeserved skillsets? Not hating. Tbh all 3 of my bandmates drive Audi A4/S4/A5's each and me a honda civic si :))
No no. The opposite. I had the nicest car there, and that's unheard of!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
North of Pasadena

I don't want to give out too much information. They could be watching me.
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No no. The opposite. I had the nicest car there, and that's unheard of!
man, if I had the nicest car at a gig it would mean everyone else was on a bicycle.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:15 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.
I know! You and I think alike!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM

Wow....like others have said, painful to simply read....

I consider myself to be a bit of a hack, but damn, at least we do the right things, the right way. None of that stuff. (OK, occasionally I hear a "little" noodling, which drives me nuts, but usually just getting back on stage and only for a moment or two, never once we get started. And even that's too much, heh heh)

And these guys continue to get work?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Wow....like others have said, painful to simply read....

I consider myself to be a bit of a hack, but damn, at least we do the right things, the right way. None of that stuff. (OK, occasionally I hear a "little" noodling, which drives me nuts, but usually just getting back on stage and only for a moment or two, never once we get started. And even that's too much, heh heh)

And these guys continue to get work?
It sounds like they were regulars at this particular watering hole. Like I said, if the people hiring them don't care, I guess it's a lost cause and maybe they don't get hired anywhere else?

Usually places I play are keen on keeping people engaged and drinking to make a profit, which justifies the band. Why you would hire a band and not really care what they do would make me wonder if the owner is independently rich and doesn't need the income, or out of business soon.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

I have played in too many bands like that.And it does drive me nuts and is stressful.I played in a Dad Rock band where the three least skilled players were running things and it was like Bo described,and they reveled in their musical ignorance.They referred to any part of the song that was not the verse and chorus as the "jam Part".

They managed to book gigs but had to keep going to new places because we rarely got invited back especially to bars, even though we were bringing 15 to 25 people with us,so the club was at least breaking even just on our following.

I have played in pro level outfits,and everything in between.

My rule #1 in any band is sound good on everything you do no matter how skilled the band is,but if you have decent vocals and hit the pocket and have a pro presentation even less skilled bands can do well and get invited back esp with Bar Band type music.

It still suprises me that people playing in bands have no idea or don't care how bad they sound or what a horrible presentation they are putting on.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
...if a venue is hiring a band with a definite start time, to provide music for dancing and continued drinking, then the fun is in making that happen, no?

..as soon as someone says "venue paying money", that means "give them what they want and don't muck around". Which to me, also translates to "know how to be on time and know your material". There's no reason that can't be fun - the fun is nailing your parts and being part of a team moving towards a common goal, or is that not what "band" means?
+1.

I, and I'm sure you're the same Bo, and I'm sure applies to many other members here too, always turn up to my regular gig (or any other gig) 45 minutes to an hour before, to have enough time to set the kit up at my own pace and still have time after set up before the gig starts. It also ensures the bandleader is not worried where you are and is secure he can always rely on you. That goes a long way in this business.

I'd always rather be an hour or more early than a minute late. I mean let's face it, we're doing what we enjoy the most, playing drums, the best instrument in the world. It's fun. You'd think other musicians would feel as enthusiastic about their own instrument.

It's important to be responsible and have some integrity when being hired. It's really not difficult. Plus it shows respect for the people being nice enough to offer us work. It's not like there's a ton of jobs around anymore like years ago, so the reliable ones will always be in with a better shot of keeping work coming in.

And yes, it's crap if the other guys are messing around and don't know their songs because they clearly don't care enough to have properly learnt their parts. What's that saying..fall to prepare and prepare to fail. it looks so amateur and obviously doesn't inspire you to play.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Bo, with you back there on the set, that's probably the best they've ever sounded and they know it.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:56 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Bo, with you back there on the set, that's probably the best they've ever sounded and they know it.
Well, I was told as much. But in reality I was probably the first competent guy to come in because I didn't know what I was getting in to! It's sad to think they have to "trick" people to come in and play, right?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

What gave you the impression that this gig wouldn't be a joke? I'm not going to take any gig unless I have more specifics.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
What gave you the impression that this gig wouldn't be a joke? I'm not going to take any gig unless I have more specifics.
Probably because I played with this bass player the weekend before at an upscale apartment complex with a different band, and since he wasn't in charge, he seemed very professional. Who knew his own gigs would be a free-for-all?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Who knew his own gigs would be a free-for-all?
Did you get a song list? Did you ask to hear any recordings or view any videos of the band? Did you do any research on the venue and see what bands regularly play there? If you didn't do any of that, you're basically saying that you'll play with just about anyone. That's fine if that's how you roll, but not how I decide on whether to play music with someone.

For someone just starting out and trying to meet musicians, sure, that's what you do. But I don't think that's you, so really, you may only have yourself to blame. Or maybe that bass player is a really good con man.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Or maybe that bass player is a really good con man.
Not possible. The accumulated years of low-frequency has muddled his brain. Occasionally we can get a bassist to play something other than the root, but nothing more. Definitely not a conman. Definitely.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...bassist&page=4
Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Did you get a song list? Did you ask to hear any recordings or view any videos of the band? Did you do any research on the venue and see what bands regularly play there? If you didn't do any of that, you're basically saying that you'll play with just about anyone. That's fine if that's how you roll, but not how I decide on whether to play music with someone.

For someone just starting out and trying to meet musicians, sure, that's what you do. But I don't think that's you, so really, you may only have yourself to blame. Or maybe that bass player is a really good con man.
Get off my lawn and take that high horse with you ;)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Wait, the bass player is a chick, and she's cute.... got it!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:53 PM

It's not paranoia if they're really out to get you
Old 06-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Wait, the bass player is a chick, and she's cute.... got it!
Although years ago I played with a really cute female bass player in college, I really wish that were the case here. Not even close. Just a bunch of mature guys in their 50s playing in a dive bar :(

Infinite sadness.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:05 AM

There is too much coincidence here.... rumours of a female bassist..... shambolic band.... you used the term infinate sadness...... were you subbing for the smashing pumpkins :p
Old 06-25-2017, 04:08 AM

Just to make a point i love the smashing pumpkins but the have been through their fights through the years. And billys political stance these days is confusing to say the least