DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 AM

Default Drum bank or not?

So I have a new kit on the way in Green Glass Glitter in the same exact sizes (depth and diameter) that I have now and from the same manufacturer and once I receive the new kit, I'll refinish the old kit.

Here's what I'm thinking:
a) Do the old kit in GGG as well that way I can interchange the individual components from the 2 kits if I so choose, or
b) Do the old kit in a custom lacquered finish.

Some outside variables:
a) The GGG kit will be my new main kit consisting of 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 toms & 22" kick. -the old kit doesn't have the 8".
b) I have the opportunity to pick up add'l drums for the GGG kit in sizes I don't/won't already have. Such as 2 more different bass drums and 3 toms.
c) The finish I'm leaning towards for the old kit isn't anywhere near the GGG since it's multi-colored and patterned so this kit will forever just be the 10, 12, 14, 16 toms and 22 kick. To give you an idea of what I'm leaning towards, think of custom show vans from the 70s.
d) I'm absolutely NOT concerned about resale value as I *intend* to keep both kits for a very, very long time if not for life.
e) We play funk, motown, & dance. From time to time I may take the "70s van" kit to a gig. If I determine that I need a more toned down kit, I still have a 3rd kit I can use for more formal events. So having bright or flashy drums won't be an issue if it doesn't need to be.
f) The only other reason I can think of to do them in the same finish is to build a cool looking double bass kit. However, I went from a double bass, 10 piece, rack-of-death kit to a streamlined single bass (w/ double pedal) 6 piece over 25 years ago and don't desire to schlep 2 kicks around.
g) I had an interesting suggestion from a friend already: Since I run an internal mic on my kick now, why not do both sets in the same finish and put internal mics on the one of them and leave the other one "un-mic'd."

So my questions are:
1) Do any of you have 2 100% identical kits (size, finish, & manufacturer)?
2) Have any of you faced this type of situation and what did you end up doing?
3) If you've built a drum bank of your own, did you buy drums already in the same finish, refinish the drums as you got them, or a little of both?