DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Half Marathon Gig....as heard on TV :)

Took a last minute booking on Friday to play Manchester Half Marathon + 10k run.

Great gig but a hell of a long day and random as they come.

The jist of it was they had loads of bands dotted throughout the course and you had to play when it was busy with runners at your bit so we were just playing for 15/20 mins at a time between 9am and 4pm.

We ended up on a traffic island on the ring road by Old Trafford....Never played a ring road before!

Found out this morning we were on TV for a few moments (BBC I think), well the tent we were in was, as were our cars and our bassists legs as shot from a helicopter. We even got some audio on for a few seconds. (Gotta change the website to as seen on TV ;))

The organisers were amazing considering what happened a week ago and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Anyone else had any cool random gigs like this?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Half Marathon Gig....as heard on TV :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Took a last minute booking on Friday to play Manchester Half Marathon + 10k run.

The jist of it was they had loads of bands dotted throughout the course and you had to play when it was busy with runners at your bit so we were just playing for 15/20 mins at a time between 9am and 4pm.

We ended up on a traffic island on the ring road by Old Trafford....Never played a ring road before!

Found out this morning we were on TV for a few moments (BBC I think), well the tent we were in was, as were our cars and our bassists legs as shot from a helicopter. We even got some audio on for a few seconds. (Gotta change the website to as seen on TV ;))

The organisers were amazing considering what happened a week ago and the atmosphere was fantastic.

I was offered a gig like that. Well, sorta. They just wanted me to set up my drum set somewhere along a 10k run and just play some beats while people ran their run. I thought it was a strange idea so I turned it down.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

We played for part of a 24 hour walking rally around a 400 metre track. We were in the middle facing one of the straight sides, so each person walked past us every couple of minutes. Every hour they'd change direction and walk back the other way. Some of the 'resting' relay walkers ended up dancing in front of the stage which made things easier for us.
We thought about learning songs like 'These boots were made for walking' 'I would walk 500 miles' 'A thousand miles' 'Its a long way to the top' etc.

Strange gig, but fun, and some dollars raised for cancer research.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Great stuff

I try and do a couple of half marathons a year and you won't know how much your music would have given a lot of people a lift so well done!
Old 05-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

I did one of these last summer but on a much smaller scale than the Manchester event. We were set up at the end of someone's driveway and played as runners came by. Hot as !@#$ and very unusual to start at 9 AM instead of 9 PM!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
I did one of these last summer but on a much smaller scale than the Manchester event. We were set up at the end of someone's driveway and played as runners came by. Hot as !@#$ and very unusual to start at 9 AM instead of 9 PM!
It's the getting up at 5am on a Sunday that I didn't like!

I'd have killed for it to have been warm on Sunday. I swear the crap weather followed me up to Manchester and back down the motorway. Froze my arse off playing cricket Saturday and the same again playing the gig on Sunday.

On the plus side I didn't break sweat all day which is a bit of a collectors item.

Still laughing at the guy who ran the 10k dressed as the Ultimate Warrior.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Same day, same gig, but 30 miles down the East Lancs, playing the Liverpool Rock 'N' Roll Marathon. Third time doing it now, always a good laugh watching people 23 miles into a marathon trying to find the strength to applaud you for playing.

Kopites are gobshítes.