DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Default Need immediate help choosing a drum set!

Hey guys :) New one here!
So i wanted to buy a drum set for mainly studio use and i was looking and looking reading countless reviews and threads all over the internet.

Finally i narrowed it down to these 3 drum sets.Since i dont know much about drums and i need make a decision quickly before these deals are off(hence the immediate part) i decided ask you guys for help :)

Keeping in mind that im into pop and fusion mostly,which would you prefer in terms of durability,the sound and the best bang for the buck ?

1.A brand new PDP concept maple shell pack(made in china) with stock heads + concept maple hardware for 1180$
22 kick drum,10/12/14 toms and 14 snare
*I will have to buy cymbals of course

2.A used PDP CX white onyx drum kit(made in USA mexico in 2006) with evans coated heads,DW 7000 single peddle with 700 series hardware + Zildijan zbt hi hats and two zbt 18 inch crashes(no ride cymbal) for 1180$
22 kick drum,10/12/14 toms and 14 snare

3.A brand new Yamaha stage custom birch set with stock heads(all made in china) without cymbals for 1180$
20 kick drum, 10/12/14 toms and 14 inch wood snare
HW680 hard ware set(not ones in the pic)

Im attaching some pics of that used pdp kit and yamaha stage custom.
Seller has changed those sabian B8`s to zildijan zbt`s.Also stage custom doesn`t come with those sabian`s
Attached Images

Last edited by Russa; 05-18-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: forgot the photos
Old 05-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Need immediate help choosing a drum set!

Number 2 and get a fresh set of heads.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Number 2 and get a fresh set of heads.
Thank u!
Any thoughts on the sound over the stage custom?
cx series is kinda old.im worried about the hardware quality and shell durability.Is that ever gonna be a problem?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Seems strange that all three sets are the same price?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Seems strange that all three sets are the same price?
actually yes :)
I got a little discount on the stage custom.

Last edited by Russa; 05-17-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russa View Post
Thank u!
Any thoughts on the sound over the stage custom?
cx series is kinda old.im worried about the hardware quality and shell durability.Is that ever gonna be a problem?
They're all useable kits if you're providing something in a studio for someone to use. It is your cash but cymbals get expensive as do pedals so the cx seemed the logical route.

Hardware will be fine PDP is owned by a little known company called DW so I can't see any problems.

PDP shells are well made. I've never played a bad one. If you look after any set of drums they last a lifetime.

As for age I use a kit that was made in the 70s and I have a bass drum that is 51 next week. There's guys on here that use vintage gear so in terms of kinda old PDP aren't even out of nappies yet!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
They're all useable kits if you're providing something in a studio for someone to use. It is your cash but cymbals get expensive as do pedals so the cx seemed the logical route.

Hardware will be fine PDP is owned by a little known company called DW so I can't see any problems.

PDP shells are well made. I've never played a bad one. If you look after any set of drums they last a lifetime.

As for age I use a kit that was made in the 70s and I have a bass drum that is 51 next week. There's guys on here that use vintage gear so in terms of kinda old PDP aren't even out of nappies yet!
Some great info there!
Thank u :)
I know dw is a great company.But a lot of people have been talking bad things about pdp hardware..thats why i was worried
Old 05-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

My advice, sit down behind all 3 kits and after playing, see which one calls out to you the loudest. All 3 kits look to be good finds.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:22 PM

I use a PDP CX kit and absolutely love it! It will serve you well. However, that price is a little on the high side. The used drums run around $400. The hardware may be worth another $100 or so. Those cymbals (ZBT) you won't be happy with for long. Maybe worth $100 for the set.

You should be able to get that whole set under $700. That'll save you a few bucks to buy a good ride and maybe upgrade the hats.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Some great info there!
Thank u :)
I know dw is a great company.But a lot of people have been talking bad things about pdp hardware..thats why i was worried
I've been drumming for 43 some years and have owned some of the cheapest, most flimsiest hardware known to man, and I never had a single stand fail on me in that time, so I wouldn't concern yourself over PDP-HW.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
I've been drumming for 43 some years and have owned some of the cheapest, most flimsiest hardware known to man, and I never had a single stand fail on me in that time, so I wouldn't concern yourself over PDP-HW.
Ok..thats really good to hear :) one last thing though
Would you prefer pdp hardware over yamaha hardware
Old 05-17-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chollyred View Post
I use a PDP CX kit and absolutely love it! It will serve you well. However, that price is a little on the high side. The used drums run around $400. The hardware may be worth another $100 or so. Those cymbals (ZBT) you won't be happy with for long. Maybe worth $100 for the set.

You should be able to get that whole set under $700. That'll save you a few bucks to buy a good ride and maybe upgrade the hats.
Im kinda worried about the cymbals too.zbt is a beginner level series right?..
700$? damn thats a good price..Thats the thing here..Used drum prices are too damn high.Cant get a decent price for anything here
Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
700$? damn thats a good price..Thats the thing here..Used drum prices are too damn high.Cant get a decent price for anything here
Where approximately are you? Sri Lanka?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok..thats really good to hear :) one last thing though
Would you prefer pdp hardware over yamaha hardware
I have no experience with either name, but as far as I'm concerned, either one would make for great HW.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
My advice, sit down behind all 3 kits and after playing, see which one calls out to you the loudest. All 3 kits look to be good finds.
I wish i could do that...its only possible with the stage custom since it`s in the yamaha showroom.
I have to pre order the concept maple.None left in the store.So there is no chance there
CX kit is in the boxes and believe it or not,that egoistic seller would set up the kit if only i`m buying it.So there is no chance either
Old 05-17-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Where approximately are you? Sri Lanka?
Yeah! I`m from Sri lanka :) The worst place in the world to buy anything
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

I'd go with set #2. Nice finish and maple shells, you can't go wrong.

In addition I've heard that those PDP's from that era may have used DW shells. A friend of mine that knows way too much about drums told me that basically, if you find a maple PDP kit that uses the suspension mounts around the rim (like the white ones you have above), those have DW shells. If you see a PDP kit that uses suspension mounts around the lugs themselves, those are cheaper PDP shells, like this:

I could be wrong. Either way, I'd go with that white onyx kit. I'm sure it sounds great!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I have no experience with either name, but as far as I'm concerned, either one would make for great HW.
Thank you for all the info :)
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I have 2 peddle choices for that kit.PDP peddle that came with the hardware or that DW7000(made in usa)i mentioned. DW is the better one i guess?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you can't attain good bang for your buck where you live, my suggestion to you would be to look beyond. Our world is a small place now thanks to the internet. Don't be afraid to shop around, and don't be afraid to hold your ground on your limit as far as what you are willing to spend.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have 2 peddle choices for that kit.PDP peddle that came with the hardware or that DW7000(made in usa)i mentioned. DW is the better one i guess?
I would assume that the DW is going to be a better pedal.

Be sure to re-read my post; I edited it. :)
Old 05-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

In addition I've heard that those PDP's from that era may have used DW shells. A friend of mine that knows way too much about drums told me that basically, if you find a maple PDP kit that uses the suspension mounts around the rim (like the white ones you have above), those have DW shells. If you see a PDP kit that uses suspension mounts around the lugs themselves, those are cheaper PDP shells, like this:

I could be wrong. Either way, I'd go with that white onyx kit. I'm sure it sounds great!
Ok ..hearing it for the first time..that is comforting :D i`ve heard this strange thing about the white onyx finish though.Is there any chance that white finish getting all messed and yellowed over the time?
Take a look at the floor tom and the snare of this attachment
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
If you can't attain good bang for your buck where you live, my suggestion to you would be to look beyond. Our world is a small place now thanks to the internet. Don't be afraid to shop around, and don't be afraid to hold your ground on your limit as far as what you are willing to spend.
That actually what im gonna do next if this does not work out.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok ..hearing it for the first time..that is comforting :D i`ve heard this strange thing about the white onyx finish though.Is there any chance that white finish getting all messed and yellowed over the time?
Take a look at the floor tom and the snare of this attachment
I see discolouration on the snare drum at 7-o'clock, but is that the result of lighting and reflection? If not, the yellowing is non-typical. Possibly the result of the drum being stored improperly next to a heat-source.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I see discolouration on the snare drum at 7-o'clock, but is that the result of lighting and reflection? If not, the yellowing is non-typical. Possibly the result of the drum being stored improperly next to a heat-source.
Look closely at the floor tom :)
If im correct it was posted on a thread on this website.Who ever posted had clearly said that it had to do something the shell`s finishing not reflection or anything
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree. The only time I've seen discoloration comes from storage "errors" (e.g. storing near a heater, too close to a window over time, etc.).

If you have a drum set long enough for it to become discolored, you are a blessed person.

I think a yellowed white onyx looks really cool.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I agree. The only time I've seen discoloration comes from storage "errors" (e.g. storing near a heater, too close to a window over time, etc.).

If you have a drum set long enough for it to become discolored, you are a blessed person.

I think a yellowed white onyx looks really cool.
So i guess i can remove the discoloration issue from the list :D
Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Gold Member

Russa,

I've owned a PDP MX series for a decade. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the HW. They stay where I leave them, even without memory locks. The 700 series HW is pretty light, so you can't really clamp on much to them. The 800's are considered medium weight, so can take a bit more clamping. The 14" FT appears to be attached to a Yamaha stand. Those are super nice. With respect to which I prefer, Yamaha all the way. Not that anything is wrong with the PDP, but there's something just so buttery and classy with the Yamaha HW.

The CX in white is a classy looking kit for sure. The price on the kits are high, so as you say, you can't get a deal where you live. Honestly, concept series Maples are selling on eBay for $899 new with Buy It Now option. Even if you have to pay a high shipping charge, it may be worth looking into. At least you'd have a new kit for the price paid. The same Series used PDPs as in your post are selling on Guitar Centers' website for $399. You can find the Stage Customs for that price too. Perhaps you can work with the store on shipping? At $399 import taxes should be low too. Just a thought...
Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Russa,

I've owned a PDP MX series for a decade. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the HW. They stay where I leave them, even without memory locks. The 700 series HW is pretty light, so you can't really clamp on much to them. The 800's are considered medium weight, so can take a bit more clamping. The 14" FT appears to be attached to a Yamaha stand. Those are super nice. With respect to which I prefer, Yamaha all the way. Not that anything is wrong with the PDP, but there's something just so buttery and classy with the Yamaha HW.

The CX in white is a classy looking kit for sure. The price on the kits are high, so as you say, you can't get a deal where you live. Honestly, concept series Maples are selling on eBay for $899 new with Buy It Now option. Even if you have to pay a high shipping charge, it may be worth looking into. At least you'd have a new kit for the price paid. The same Series used PDPs as in your post are selling on Guitar Centers' website for $399. You can find the Stage Customs for that price too. Perhaps you can work with the store on shipping? At $399 import taxes should be low too. Just a thought...
That`s a good suggestion AzHeat.I will search ebay and shipping options i think it may be less expensive option considering the prices here

You were talking about pdp 800 series hardware right?
If you can tell by the looks of those pics
What is the series of hardware used in that white pdp kit?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
That`s a good suggestion AzHeat.I will search ebay and shipping options i think it may be less expensive option considering the prices here

You were talking about pdp 800 series hardware right?
If you can tell by the looks of those pics
What is the series of hardware used in that white pdp kit?
The ride cymbal and FT are definitely on a Yamaha stand. The crash appears to be on a 700 series PDP, based on the thickness of the legs. That may explain the Yamaha stand. The 700 series likely collapsed under the weight of the FT. Those FTs are tanks. The 700s work fine as long as you don't hang too much off of them. I quite like their weight for transport. Pretty much no different than any other thin tubed light weight stand. You just have to be careful with how much you clamp on. Never had a light weight stand collapse on me with even a heavy ride on it, so not a concern otherwise.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
The ride cymbal and FT are definitely on a Yamaha stand. The crash appears to be on a 700 series PDP, based on the thickness of the legs. That may explain the Yamaha stand. The 700 series likely collapsed under the weight of the FT. Those FTs are tanks. The 700s work fine as long as you don't hang too much off of them. I quite like their weight for transport. Pretty much no different than any other thin tubed light weight stand. You just have to be careful with how much you clamp on. Never had a light weight stand collapse on me with even a heavy ride on it, so not a concern otherwise.
Thank u for pointing that out!...I had no idea about that...seller said all those hardware are pdp.Thank u again :)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:09 AM

So i have come to the final decision.
Thank u guys for replies that really helped!
Saw some awesome demos of yamaha stage custom birch so Im gonna go to the showroom and try one anyway :) its gonna some more bcz i have to buy cymbals separately.
Cant find any good demos on pdp cx kits.1180$ is the last price for the pdp cx so im gonna ask if the seller can give me a 18 or 20 inch ride instead of two crash cymbals.Also gonna double check of those stands :)
Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
So i have come to the final decision.
Thank u guys for replies that really helped!
Saw some awesome demos of yamaha stage custom birch so Im gonna go to the showroom and try one anyway :) its gonna some more bcz i have to buy cymbals separately.
Cant find any good demos on pdp cx kits.1180$ is the last price for the pdp cx so im gonna ask if the seller can give me a 18 or 20 inch ride instead of two crash cymbals.Also gonna double check of those stands :)
The Yamaha is a great choice. Lots of fans of them on the forum. Those things are as light as a feather too. So far as PDP demos go, the CX, MX and LX sound the same. They aren't much different than the new Concept Maple, except for the look of HW. There are plenty of demos of those. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

You will not be disappointed with the Yamaha, for the money they are a steal. The hardware is great quality and made to last. I have two of the BD pedals and they have never let me down. I liked the first one so much I bought another as a spare, I like to be safe at a gig.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
The Yamaha is a great choice. Lots of fans of them on the forum. Those things are as light as a feather too. So far as PDP demos go, the CX, MX and LX sound the same. They aren't much different than the new Concept Maple, except for the look of HW. There are plenty of demos of those. Good luck and keep us posted.
Tomorrow im gonna check the SC.I will post the results here :)
I found a demo of cx kit that sounds good even without the mics.I love the sound of toms and snare in this one :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWW9dMqnVGI
Old 05-18-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
You will not be disappointed with the Yamaha, for the money they are a steal. The hardware is great quality and made to last. I have two of the BD pedals and they have never let me down. I liked the first one so much I bought another as a spare, I like to be safe at a gig.
Ok thats comforting :)

Asking this one more time anyway :D
Its gonna cost about 1200$ for a custom birch honey amber,stock heads(20 inch BD) + HW 780 series hardware set (no cymbals,no drum throne)

Do u think its a good deal compared to a PDP CX white onyx 1180$ with evans coated heads(22 inch BD) + hardware(DW 7000, yamaha ride/tom mount stand ,other stands are 700 series) + Zildijan zbt hats and two crash cymbals ?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

My only hesitation with one over the other is the PDP is in the same class as the Yamaha, so approximately the same price new. If you went with the concept series for the same price, you'd get the newer tom mounts and 800 series HW. So it come to new vs old. Those old PDPs can sound very close to the DW Performance series, but the kit is still a decade old. I would think there would be tons of wiggle room on the price, but I don't know your market. Can you turn around and sell the Yamahas for almost the same price? If not, the guy with the PDP is asking an insane price. If not, then it's back to a decision of which you like best and can you wait?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
My only hesitation with one over the other is the PDP is in the same class as the Yamaha, so approximately the same price new. If you went with the concept series for the same price, you'd get the newer tom mounts and 800 series HW. So it come to new vs old. Those old PDPs can sound very close to the DW Performance series, but the kit is still a decade old. I would think there would be tons of wiggle room on the price, but I don't know your market. Can you turn around and sell the Yamahas for almost the same price? If not, the guy with the PDP is asking an insane price. If not, then it's back to a decision of which you like best and can you wait?
All those prices are fixed..:( seller is not gonna change the price.
Yamaha stage custom old series like advantage can be bought here for around 1000$(full set with sabian b8 cymbals or zildijan zbt) here.I went to see some.Those are in mint condition..those used pdp in good condition actually.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Yamaha Stage Custom is a great kit. I bought a used one for $300, but that's here. I took the advice of all the people here too, and I'm happy that I did. It sounds even better than my old Tama Rockstar drums.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Yamaha Stage Custom is a great kit. I bought a used one for $300, but that's here. I took the advice of all the people here too, and I'm happy that I did. It sounds even better than my old Tama Rockstar drums.
Another vote for stage custom :)
i tried it actually it sounds good
it costs 1200$ Brand new here for the 5 piece version 22 inch BD with HW 680 hardware