DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Tune Bot - Worthwhile or Not?

As a follow-up to my previous posts on this topic:

this morning I was in a rush and had to load up and leave quickly. I clocked myself at changing a Bass drum head and bringing it in tune within 3 min., same thing for a 10 in. tom but in 2.5 min., same for a difficult 12 in. tom.

I simply used my saved presets in the Tune Bot iPhone App.

Last edited by JosephDAqui; 06-02-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Some feedback on a proper setup sesh that I did last weekend.

My drums are a set of Mapex Saturn V’s, (10, 12, 16 and 22x16 BD)with a Ludwig Blackrolite snare. I tuned the toms and snare, using the drum seat as a workstand/muffle for the “other” head. The Saturns have their supplied Remo heads.

I like ringing, singing drums, so I opted for the max resonance tuning (same notebatter and reso). I downloaded the Tune Bot tuning manual from the interwebz which has suggestions of the ratio between lug pitch and drum fundamental pitch,. Guide is here:
http://tune-bot.com/tunebottuningguide.pdf

I aimed for C-G-D perfect fourths tuning. I found that the suggested lug pitches worked well for the 10 and 12 inch toms, but were way off for the 16 inch floor tom. In fairness, Tune Bot mention that these are starting points and not guaranteed destinations.

Two things that I found were:
1 – When very close to the desired lug pitch (within less than 5 Hz), it’s a bit tricksy to get absolute accuracy, even moving the drum key a poofteenth of a turn. On reflection, this may not be surprising. Guitar machine hands have a 1:n working ratio, and guitarists make tiny adjustments to tuning (and yes, I realise that a string and a drum head are different beasts).
2 – Lug tuning is not in isolation. Changing the lug tuning of a lug will change the tune of other lugs, especially the diametrically opposite lug and the neighbour lugs.

As others have mentioned, the ‘filter’ button is a godsend as it forces the tuner to look out for a particular pitch and not get misled by other notes happening at the same time.

Tuning the snare proved more challenging than tuning the toms. My snare is now tuned higher than I have had it before (I like a nice fat sounding snare), but sounds better to my ears, and with less snare buzz. It seemed to me that the Tune Bot recommendations are not as good for the snare as for the toms. That may be for any number of reasons. It may be that snares have more variability in sound than toms, it may be because there are more overtones in snare sound than in tom sounds. And it may be because I just wussied out and didn’t want to risk tearing the reso head with less than an hour to go before a band rehearsal. Also, I loosened but didn’t remove the snares, which would have added to the “notes” going on.

I’m pleased with the results. It seems that my drums were not badly tuned to start with. What has changed is now I have a defined sound that I have tuned to, which I can store and save as a default setting. What I’ve done until now is tune the drums to themselves, and so that each drum sounds pleasing. I’m looking forward to being able to try different tunings, and swap tunings relatively quickly. Some learning is still required. It took me around an hour to tune the toms and snare…and I still want to have a go at tuning the bass drum.

Money well spent? I think so.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
As others have mentioned, the ‘filter’ button is a godsend
Godsend is an understatement, it's an absolute necessity!
Old 06-10-2017, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Tuning the snare proved more challenging than tuning the toms.
I have never been able to get the TuneBot to read the snare side head correctly. Once you get close to that 400Hz range, the whole thing goes wonky. It's not a big deal to me as that head usually is done by feel anyway. As long as it makes a nice "ping" sound when slapping it, its good to me.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
I have never been able to get the TuneBot to read the snare side head correctly. Once you get close to that 400Hz range, the whole thing goes wonky. It's not a big deal to me as that head usually is done by feel anyway. As long as it makes a nice "ping" sound when slapping it, its good to me.

The Resotune isn't able to deduct the snare side either.

It's exactly as you describe above, it goes wonky, but then the snare side is very easy to discern with ears and not as important to get clear.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Some feedback on a proper setup sesh that I did last weekend.

My drums are a set of Mapex Saturn V’s, (10, 12, 16 and 22x16 BD)with a Ludwig Blackrolite snare. I tuned the toms and snare, using the drum seat as a workstand/muffle for the “other” head. The Saturns have their supplied Remo heads.

I like ringing, singing drums, so I opted for the max resonance tuning (same notebatter and reso). I downloaded the Tune Bot tuning manual from the interwebz which has suggestions of the ratio between lug pitch and drum fundamental pitch,. Guide is here:
http://tune-bot.com/tunebottuningguide.pdf

I aimed for C-G-D perfect fourths tuning. I found that the suggested lug pitches worked well for the 10 and 12 inch toms, but were way off for the 16 inch floor tom. In fairness, Tune Bot mention that these are starting points and not guaranteed destinations.

Two things that I found were:
1 – When very close to the desired lug pitch (within less than 5 Hz), it’s a bit tricksy to get absolute accuracy, even moving the drum key a poofteenth of a turn. On reflection, this may not be surprising. Guitar machine hands have a 1:n working ratio, and guitarists make tiny adjustments to tuning (and yes, I realise that a string and a drum head are different beasts).
2 – Lug tuning is not in isolation. Changing the lug tuning of a lug will change the tune of other lugs, especially the diametrically opposite lug and the neighbour lugs.

As others have mentioned, the ‘filter’ button is a godsend as it forces the tuner to look out for a particular pitch and not get misled by other notes happening at the same time.

Tuning the snare proved more challenging than tuning the toms. My snare is now tuned higher than I have had it before (I like a nice fat sounding snare), but sounds better to my ears, and with less snare buzz. It seemed to me that the Tune Bot recommendations are not as good for the snare as for the toms. That may be for any number of reasons. It may be that snares have more variability in sound than toms, it may be because there are more overtones in snare sound than in tom sounds. And it may be because I just wussied out and didn’t want to risk tearing the reso head with less than an hour to go before a band rehearsal. Also, I loosened but didn’t remove the snares, which would have added to the “notes” going on.

I’m pleased with the results. It seems that my drums were not badly tuned to start with. What has changed is now I have a defined sound that I have tuned to, which I can store and save as a default setting. What I’ve done until now is tune the drums to themselves, and so that each drum sounds pleasing. I’m looking forward to being able to try different tunings, and swap tunings relatively quickly. Some learning is still required. It took me around an hour to tune the toms and snare…and I still want to have a go at tuning the bass drum.

Money well spent? I think so.
Like you, a couple things I've noticed:

1. When clearing a head, small turns at adjacent lugs can help. Also, I tend to get better results tuning in smaller increments all around the drum than by making large adjustments to one lug and then having other lugs affected.

2. The tunebot helps me eliminate snare buzz (especially at lower snare tunings) by identifying sympathetic frequencies from my toms. For instance, if the bottom head of one of my toms is tuned too close to the top head of my snare all I have to do is make a few adjustments and no more buzz.

3. The tunebot is great for documenting tunings that you like on other people's kits. I've found some cool starting points from friends drums and house kits. Also great if you're playing someone else's kit and you want to return it the way it was before you messed with it.

BTW, I see there's a new version of iDrumTune out now. Has anyone had a chance to check it out?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

I'm new to using a Tune-bot - ordered it a few days ago, and I'm using it for the first time today.

I wish I bought one years ago. Nothing replaces your ears, but I am finding it to be an extremely useful reference.

As long as you use the Filter feature, this thing *hears* fine - and helps get the drum tuned quickly and evenly. Love this thing.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:55 PM

I like my tune-bot simply because I can track, and keep track of the value on a piece of paper.

And recently, I have been slowly loosening my drum heads, to see if I like the sound better.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I'm new to using a Tune-bot - ordered it a few days ago, and I'm using it for the first time today.

I wish I bought one years ago. Nothing replaces your ears, but I am finding it to be an extremely useful reference.

As long as you use the Filter feature, this thing *hears* fine - and helps get the drum tuned quickly and evenly. Love this thing.
My experience as well since I bought one a couple of years ago. The Filter feature is the only I'm able to get consistent readings. Using this has definitely helped tuning on all the different drums.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

There are a lot of good posts in this thread. Like many others, I've been tuning for decades and LOVE the tune bot. Saves time, and for me it *increased experimentation.

Speeds things up and helped to teach my ear even more. I wish I had it from the beginning. I don't agree that it would hurt a new drummer learning to tune. I think it would speed up the learning process. Man, when I was first learning I didn't know what a good drum sounded like. So I was just guessing. I was 8 years old with no other drummers in the family to get help from. My drums sounded less than ideal for too many years to count because I didn't have anyway of knowing what they should sound like...or could sound like.

If I had a tune bot then? my goodness...it would have sped up my ear training exponentially.

So after finally wasting years as a young kid learning how to tune, I finally got there. But even having my ears where they need to be, I find the tune bot to be worth every penny. And those reasons have already been listed previously in this thread.

I just wanted to give another +1 to the tune bot.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
Resotune update:

I got the thing with the extremely complicated instructions, but it's fairly simple.
Thanks for the mention
Quote:
It works well but it's big and cumbersome.
RESOTUNE II is smaller and lighter than RESOTUNE I. I experimented with making it even smaller and could not get effective head coupling required for good convergence during clearing.
Quote:
If the drum isn't level you have to hold it in place, however it's also easy to use. Super easy.

Using "find both" tells you what the tuning of the drum is set at.
Using "tune drum" tells the fundamental lowest note on the drum.
Using "tune lug" is like the tunebot. It tells the lug note the drum is at.

You pick a note +/- 25, 50, or 75 cents and tune the drum until that setting lights up, then you "clear" the head with the fine tuning setting.
Just a minor point, "lug clearing" is not fine tuning the pitch of the lug resonance but fine matching the lug tension to be precisely the same as all the other lugs at the existing note pitch. Clearing the lugs is a separate step performed after tuning to a desired note pitch so does not change that pitch.
Quote:
Clearing the head feature is very odd but seems to really work. It's just an extremely fine tuning, but that little bit makes the drums very lively.
It is difficult to describe what causes the "clear" sound. My sense is that not only agreement at the lug resonant pitch (like other tuners do), but the higher overtones are also in closer agreement for less chaotic dissonance between the several slightly different higher overtones. Hard to describe but you will recognize the "clear" sound when you hear it.
Quote:
There are lug settings for extra sensitivity if you hold down the "tune lug" button for a second and there is also an extra sensitive "clear" function of you hold down the "clear" button for a second. This extra sensitivity is good for snare drums.
Holding down the "Tune Lug" button will tell it to search up to next higher overtone resonance. An advanced function most will never need or use.

Pressing the "Clear" button again (momentarily) while in clear mode will shift to a higher resolution clear mode. Yes this higher clear sensitivity is useful for high tension drums (like snare drums), less useful for lower tension toms and kick.
Quote:
Overall, for someone like me who never cared for using a tuning machine and really couldn't give a hoot if the drum is "perfect", it's pretty good!
It will save a lot of time and there's no tapping on the head. It shoots sound into the drum and uses phase matching for the tuning.
Yes "clear mode" reads the phase shift of the standing wave occurring in the drumhead at the lug resonance pitch when individual lugs are tensioned. This measures the impact of individual lug tension and even tells you what direction to adjust the individual lug being measured to match the others.
Quote:
It's automatic and also has a save setting feature. I would probably just write the tuning on the head and not bother with saving the settings, but I'm lazy.

Very accurate. More accurate than ears if that really matters.

Oh, and the cosmetic flaw seems to be a couple of plastic bumps under the control panel, which could probably be fixed when it's time to change the batteries.
Sorry about the late response but I just noticed this post and wanted to amplify a few minor points. Thank you for your kind comments.

John Roberts
Circular Science
Old 06-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Picked up the Tune Bot Gig. I can tune pretty well without one but thought I would give it a try. I went by the settings suggested for the size drums I'm using. Got a bit frustrated at first but then got all lugs in tune. I then set up kit and was very happy with results. Can't believe how such small turns of a drum key will make such a big difference.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Depending on the number of plies, and the tuning, high, med, etc. small turns or even twitches can make the world of difference. I sold a guy a cymbal on Craigslist and he came by and we talked about tuning, and getting the lugs the same, and I was turning one screw and he said, "you didn't turn it" and I said I put pressure on it, and did it again. he was in jaw dropping mode.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

There’s one thing that has me puzzled! I find lugs that sound way off at times, but TuneBot says they are spot on. If I follow TuneBot the drum will sound amazing, but if I follow my ears, it sounds out of tune. Not exactly sure what goes on there or how many have come across the same, but the thing definitely hears something I’m not!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Administrator - Mayor

LOL. you just sold 10 more Tune Bots. Everyone doesn't have a perfect ear.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
There’s one thing that has me puzzled! I find lugs that sound way off at times, but TuneBot says they are spot on. If I follow TuneBot the drum will sound amazing, but if I follow my ears, it sounds out of tune. Not exactly sure what goes on there or how many have come across the same, but the thing definitely hears something I’m not!
I see that occasionally. Although it never interferes with the overall end result.

I think it is hearing at other locations on the head. When that happens, try to put your hand lightly on the other side, and see if it reads different results.

I was thinking that another tool might help - a pacman overlay. A circle of head material, with one piece of the pie cut out. Then you'd rotate that opening to the lug you were measuring. That might quiet down the other lug locations and get truer readings.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Depending on the number of plies, and the tuning, high, med, etc. small turns or even twitches can make the world of difference. I sold a guy a cymbal on Craigslist and he came by and we talked about tuning, and getting the lugs the same, and I was turning one screw and he said, "you didn't turn it" and I said I put pressure on it, and did it again. he was in jaw dropping mode.
Yup. Very tiny turns generate significant differences.

I always thought it would be great if we could have gear ratios like guitar tuners have - so the small turns translate to even smaller turns of the lug. That would make it easier and more precise.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

One more comment.

I'm fairly new to the tune bot. Between the tune bot, and some new heads*** I put on the kit recently, my wife told me after my gig this weekend -
"that's the best your kit ever sounded. I never heard anything close to that before. It was awesome."

Happy happy.

***Aquarian black DeJohnette heads - tuned with a tune bot.

Last edited by Frank; 06-11-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Picked up the Tune Bot Gig. I can tune pretty well without one but thought I would give it a try. I went by the settings suggested for the size drums I'm using. Got a bit frustrated at first but then got all lugs in tune. I then set up kit and was very happy with results. Can't believe how such small turns of a drum key will make such a big difference.
There's a learning curve at first but you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll zip around the kit once you get the hang of it.

I've been experimenting with the Artist Tunings posted on the Tune-Bot website (and mobile app) and I've liked every one that I've tried, some more than others, of course.

I think that my Stage Customs are versatile enough to respond well to pretty much any tuning style so I'm simply enjoying all of the different tones and intervals that each style brings. It's simply a pleasure to play well tuned drums.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:39 PM

I thought I'd toss in my 2¢ on this thread because I bought a Tune Bot, and at this point would not want to be without it.

I should mention that I have a good ear - I'm both a singer, and a trumpet player, so listening for intonation is something I've been doing for decades - I can tune just fine by ear if I have to.

The one thing that I appreciate about the Tune Bot that doesn't seem to be mentioned much, is when it comes to getting the correct relationship between the batter and resonant heads of a drum.

I can tune a head by ear no problem - that's easy. However, you can have two heads on a drum that are tuned great by themselves, but if the relationship between the batter and resonant is bad, the drum is going to sound terrible anyway. Tune Bot takes the guesswork out of it - once you know the correct relationship that works with whatever heads you choose to use on a particular drum, you can repeat those results EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Every time I play out somewhere people compliment me on how good my drums sound, and I have the Tune Bot to thank for that.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

The consistency thing is what sells me, too.

I can tune a drum by ear and make it sound "good." But, I can't dial in the same tones around the kit every time by myself. I just can't.

But with that tune bot, it's a piece of cake. I like having my kit sound the Same every time I sit down.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
There’s one thing that has me puzzled! I find lugs that sound way off at times, but TuneBot says they are spot on. If I follow TuneBot the drum will sound amazing, but if I follow my ears, it sounds out of tune!
You won’t have that problem with Resotune.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 PM

I have been using the Tune Bot for years and it is a great tool.
Like any tool: some like it, some hate it, some don't need it (or think so).
It is great for quickly tuning your drums consistently.
Depending on the drums and the place where you are tuning, you can get weird readings which don't match with what your ears are hearing.
The filter button is pretty vital for that, without it I would like it a lot less.
Still, sometimes a tension rod keeps getting 'off' readings,
So be it, maybe a slight bend in the hoop or whatever, drums aren't designed to aerospace specifications.
If the other rods are in tune and the drum sounds OK, it is OK.
Also, changing the pitch at one rod with 1 Hz might cause the other rods to change as well (or even more) and you might not get the frequencies exactly the same at every rod.
No problem either, if it sounds OK, etc.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 PM

For someone who doesn't have the ears for tuning yet, this is an essential tool. Their customer service is nice, too.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Yup. Very tiny turns generate significant differences.

I always thought it would be great if we could have gear ratios like guitar tuners have - so the small turns translate to even smaller turns of the lug. That would make it easier and more precise.
You sort of can do that if you have the thread info. For example, a 1/4-20x1 1/2 screw translates to this: 1/4" diameter shaft, 20 threads per inch on a 1 1/2" shaft. Therefore 1 turn is equal to .05" change. As far as head tension goes per turn I have no idea. I'm sure someone could correlate the two mathematically, but that math is beyond me.

Also I tried to find the lug specs but could not, so the above example is just that, an example.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing wil ever take away the need to use yourown ears and develop your own taste.

This is a tool and it offers a lot in regards to consistency, saving time, head changes, experimenting, save your favourite tunings, share tunings with others, try out your favourite drummers tunings and through all these experiences develop a more clear understanding of how things work to get the sound you want.

These days I guess I just turn until I like what I hear, but this does take the fear out of experimenting when you can easily return to what you had and liked.

It saves time when changing heads sinmply beause I know where I'm going. No going back and forth, comparing with other toms etc...

It is mostly ears and I know my toms and main snare really well.

It's proving itself most useful when exprimenting with the snares I don't use too much.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

One thing I eventually figured out - at least for the toms, is - yeah, use the numerical values to get in the zone, but then switch over to tuning by note and dial in a note. I have found that yields the best results for the toms for me.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:26 PM

I have a lot of friends that use it, aparently very good. I use DrumTune on my iPhone and works just as well.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:09 PM

Just bought this thing and it works very well. Only thing is I have problems with snare recommended settings. I have like setup 375botton 240 top head and the snare is in my opinion way too tight. Need more of a rock sound and this is too tight. It sounds like the rimshot goes right in your small brains lol. But its obvius guys tune their snares way high. Senn some setups like 400bottom 350 top etc. Thats crazy. What do you guys tune your snares?
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Still on the fence with this device? For the suggested 12,16 settings I find the pitch of the 12 is too high, I know I can find a lower pitch that works for me and save the settings. It just seems to be making the whole tuning process a science when it really should't be that complicated.

Lately I have been using the Evans key and using the top section to finger tighten each lug then turn each lug a half turn and drum sounds pretty damn good, just a bit of fine tuning and done.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Still on the fence with this device? For the suggested 12,16 settings I find the pitch of the 12 is too high, I know I can find a lower pitch that works for me and save the settings. It just seems to be making the whole tuning process a science when it really should't be that complicated.

Lately I have been using the Evans key and using the top section to finger tighten each lug then turn each lug a half turn and drum sounds pretty damn good, just a bit of fine tuning and done.
I got one a couple years ago. Initially I liked it, but then it got to be as you said, too much of a science. I also found it somewhat confusing at times. Sometimes a drum would tune easily and other times I was getting reading all over the place. IDK, maybe it was operator error. I've since gone back to tuning by ear and the Tunebot has been an expensive paperweight.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I would offer one more bit of advice. Use it as a tool to get close. But learn to tweak with your ears. In time you will hear the sounds at each lug and put the Tune-Bot away. I have the Evans Torque key, one third the price of the Tune Bot. And it gets real close but still needs tweaking. There are too many variables in my mind to trust something electronic rather than my ear.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

For me it's reallyjust that when I change heads and I can work on one drum at a time and get it in the ballpark.

I do tune to notes, I know what they are and I keep my tuning pretty much the same. My 10" is somewhere between D and E for the most part and then my 12", 14" and 16" go in 4ths below that.

Snare may go a bit lower, but the starting point is you basic A batter over C reso.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim View Post
What do you guys tune your snares?
Ive had my TuneBot for a while now and like it quite a bit. Love it when I’m tuning my snares to the exact same tone when playing around with heads and tuning etc. it really helps me to understand the qualities of each well and removing any doubt regarding similar tuning. For toms, it’s been awesome to play with the different resonant settings, while maintaining the same note overall. Just really helps dial in what I like for feel and differences in attack, etc. I may tune the 14 with tighter reso looser batter and the exact opposite on the 16. They both still sound like they are on the same set, but with slightly different characteristics. It’s really tough to do this by guesswork only.

So to the question of where I tune my snare. I like tuning the batter to a particular feel. Every time I do this and throw the TuneBot on it I’m almost always at 308. I then play with the reso a bit to get a lower or higher tuning. Not sure where that ever sits. I only ever tap it for evenness. I don’t get much sympathetic buzz or choke the drum. Tuning sounds closer to what you hear on Toto recordings, but not quite as dry. This said, my snares all sounds a bit more dry with UV1s than Ambassadors, so I guess it’s tough to really answer your question. Tuning to 308 would sound so different with different heads!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSalaBim View Post
Just bought this thing and it works very well. Only thing is I have problems with snare recommended settings. I have like setup 375botton 240 top head and the snare is in my opinion way too tight. Need more of a rock sound and this is too tight. It sounds like the rimshot goes right in your small brains lol. But its obvius guys tune their snares way high. Senn some setups like 400bottom 350 top etc. Thats crazy. What do you guys tune your snares?
I usually run about 280 top, 350 bottom. going up to 400 bottom does seem like way too much.

I personally love my tunebot. I use the calculator app, select max resonance, and pitch adjust -2. The other thing I find, if I just put in a 12 and 16, it suggests the 12 be tuned really high. I don't know if its a glitch, but if you add a 10" too, (even if you don't have one) it gives much better numbers that sound really great.

Also, don't forget to sit the drum on a pillow so the opposite head is muted. I just sit my drum on the couch next to me. And use the Filter button when you get a tone in the ballpark you are aiming for. Works like a charm for me.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM
Pioneer Member

I use the tune bot every time I play. Some times just to check the snare and weekly to touch up the entire kit.

For snares that are 6.5 and deeper I usually run around 260 top and 360 - 380 bottom. 4 and 5 inch snares get cranked a bit higher. 280- 300 over 380- 400.

Some times much lower. I like some clang on snares like sissy strut, On the high register some ping like 311.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

100% worthwhile.

Anyone who says it's not, well good for you and go use your ears. But to anyone asking, you probibly need it.

It's done wonders for training my ears, and also getting things PERFECT in the studio.. and also to try tunings I wouldn't otherwise do.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

I never used mine on snare or bass. I can tune those to my liking pretty quick. Don't want to start screwing with that at my age��
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM

I was using it dedicatley and everytime I'd tune to the numbers given, I would end up with so much sustain that it was unbearable. I'd post videos and most would say " They're tuned way to high" I gave up on it and went back to my ears.
40' Super Krupa 7x14
PAISTE
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejo View Post
I was using it dedicatley and everytime I'd tune to the numbers given, I would end up with so much sustain that it was unbearable. I'd post videos and most would say " They're tuned way to high" I gave up on it and went back to my ears.

You are aware there are like 5 levels of resonance, and you can go up or down in pitch for every drum with the tuning calculator online? hahaha

If you click max resonance and a high pitch I could definitely see that being the case.