DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:37 PM

Default Best bearing edges for drums.

I have an old 80s model Yamaha Recording Custom kit and it sounds great, but the bearing edges are worn out slightly and I was thinking about getting them tailored by a professional. I've heard of some companies that offer those services and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. So the main question I have is, should I take this route, and if so the other questions I have are:

1. What companies do good work and has anyone had experience with stuff like this.

2. What degrees should I get the bearing edges done at. I could get them done like they were originally, but I also know some brands offer different drums on the kit to have different edges. Like the Yamaha phx kit. The way the ohx kit markets the differentiation of the bearing edges on each drum is that the different edges bring out the different characteristics of the drums. So like a basss drum will have a bearing edge better suited to it than a floor tom would and so on. That makes sense to me but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

So I guess I'm wondering what company should I use, what specifications should I get the edges done at and should I do this at all? What are your opinions.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best bearing edges for drums.

Ask local shops and drummers who's good. Any decent small shop builder should do repairwork as well.

I all else fails ship them herehttp://heuersdrumlab.com/
Old 05-03-2017, 10:44 PM

I never really cared much about bearing edges when I was a younger and casual drummer, but I learned more about all this when the Pearl Reference series kit came out several years ago. They explained it very well on their website here: http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/d...ference/#shell

Their general customization widely in best consensus to fit appropriate edge angles to different parts of the kit is a neat concept for me and if I didn't get my DW collectors kit, I would've tried the Reference series from Pearl.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:58 PM

The bearing edges have a few dings in some areas. Nothing major but if you run your fingers around the edge it is very noticeable. Some you can even see visually pretty clearly. Like I said, they do sound great, I'm just wondering if I did go through with updating the edges if they would sound better. Since I started considering having them fixed up slightly I've then started thinking about possibly going the extra the mile and getting each drum edge tailored differently like some of the more high end kits. That's where all this is coming from, but if you think it is probably fine as is I will take that into consideration as well.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Since I started considering having them fixed up slightly I've then started thinking about possibly going the extra the mile and getting each drum edge tailored differently like some of the more high end kits. That's where all this is coming from, but if you think it is probably fine as is I will take that into consideration as well.
"like some of the more high end kits" is what you already have.
Those drums were designed with the heavy lugs, wood choice, thickness and depth and edge to have a "sound". Changing the edges with change the sound probably not for the better.

A few dings in the bearing edges won't matter to the sound either unless it's really buggered up.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
"like some of the more high end kits" is what you already have.
Those drums were designed with the heavy lugs, wood choice, thickness and depth and edge to have a "sound". Changing the edges with change the sound probably not for the better.

A few dings in the bearing edges won't matter to the sound either unless it's really buggered up.
Maybe you're right, I bought the kit used and I got a really good price for it. I just wish they had taken better care of the kit.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 AM
Gold Member

I love yamaha's and recording customs are my end goal one day.. i personally wouldn't touch them if they sound great.. if you feel you HAVE to.. then have them put back exactly how they were from the factory.. yamaha used the edge they did for a reason.. they sound great...
Old 05-04-2017, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

I agree with Andy and Icetech. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but if you want to fix it, you need to have a clear understanding of what sonically you're wanting to achieve.

Vintage Yammy RC's are great drums. If it were me, I wouldn't touch them unless they are sounding poor. Do you know the year they were made? You can usually tell by the numbers on the badge.

Btw, your profile says East Texas area. I went to High School in Woden, just outside of Nacogdoches. I still have family there.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
I love yamaha's and recording customs are my end goal one day.. i personally wouldn't touch them if they sound great.. if you feel you HAVE to.. then have them put back exactly how they were from the factory.. yamaha used the edge they did for a reason.. they sound great...
The recording customs they make today are made in china rather than the other Japan factory they used to make them at. It's my understanding that they have produced these drums 3 different times, once throughout the 80s and 90s then they discontinued them. Then the Japanese factory reintroduced them for a while sometime before 2011. Then when Yamaha moved all production to china they reintroduced them again pretty recently. Each era had subtle differences like different hardware and stuff. It would be really interesting if they could do a sound comparison of all the different eras they made the kit. Mine was from the 80s and I love the kit, I get nothing but compliments from other people for the sound.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
I agree with Andy and Icetech. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but if you want to fix it, you need to have a clear understanding of what sonically you're wanting to achieve.

Vintage Yammy RC's are great drums. If it were me, I wouldn't touch them unless they are sounding poor. Do you know the year they were made? You can usually tell by the numbers on the badge.

Btw, your profile says East Texas area. I went to High School in Woden, just outside of Nacogdoches. I still have family there.
Cool man, Tyler TX for me. The kit was made in 83, but I actually had my house broken into and I got the bass drum and one floor tom stolen, so all I'm left with is 10, 12 and 16 shells. I've been looking for a replacement for a while but I haven't seen any yet.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Cool man, Tyler TX for me. The kit was made in 83, but I actually had my house broken into and I got the bass drum and one floor tom stolen, so all I'm left with is 10, 12 and 16 shells. I've been looking for a replacement for a while but I haven't seen any yet.
Right on! I've been to Tyler many, many times. I'm up in the Dallas area now. Bummer about your set getting broken up. I wish you good luck on your search for your replacements. Those older RC's are tough to find. Maybe reach out to some forum members like: MusiQmaN or Dutch. Those guys are pretty much "in the know" with all things Yamaha, especially vintage stuff.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
The recording customs they make today are made in china rather than the other Japan factory they used to make them at. It's my understanding that they have produced these drums 3 different times, once throughout the 80s and 90s then they discontinued them. Then the Japanese factory reintroduced them for a while sometime before 2011. Then when Yamaha moved all production to china they reintroduced them again pretty recently. Each era had subtle differences like different hardware and stuff. It would be really interesting if they could do a sound comparison of all the different eras they made the kit. Mine was from the 80s and I love the kit, I get nothing but compliments from other people for the sound.

Ahh.. thanks for the nfo:) I had no idea.. Honestly i don't have the irrational hatred of things made in china.. i have had garbage made in every country.. And i don't think yamaha would let their standards slip to have them made there. BUT.. i haven't played a newer kit of theirs. would be nice to know though..

P.S... I will probably end up getting an older used kit anyway.. right now there is a 2 up 2 down near me on CL for 1600. but in a dark maroon bean color which.. yeah. and a Gadd sig series for 2k. but black, which i'm not a fan. Which may seem silly but i don't want to sit behind drums i don't like looking at. :) no rush though.. totally happy with my current setup.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:24 PM
"Uncle Larry"

A little wood filler to fill the nicks in perhaps?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:36 AM

Bearing edges are quite important if the edge is wavy with dips and doodles.If you can get those trued up you will notice a difference, otherwise leave them alone. A lot of players get them re done because they think the drum will sound better than what they hear, but in fact, there was nothing wrong in the first place.
Good news is its not expensive to get the work done, so don't let some "expert" tell you differently.Look for a guy with references you can trust.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Gold Member

BTW. if they are just little nicks, i wouldn't sweat it. BUT.. on guitars we had a little trick to get small dents out of wood.. which is using a moist cloth and a soldering iron.. and basically steaming the spot and it woulld lift back up.. there are videos on doing that.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

If they sound great, don't touch them.

Don't like the way they look? Use coated heads.

If you are still wanting them cut, I'd look here:

http://porkpiedrums.com/pages/servic...ecision-edges/

or here:

precisiondrum.com
Old 05-05-2017, 05:23 PM

I trust those prices are per drum and not per side?