DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default 17 Things Local Bands Don't understand .

From Ari Herstand via Facebook.

1. Trashing other bands in your scene isnít hurting their rep. Itís hurting yours.

2. Acting disinterested with folded arms at the back of the room at other bandsí shows does not make you cool. Singing along at the front of the stage does.

3. Looking like a rock star isnít as important as sounding like one.

4. Image is actually important. Cargo shorts are for dads at a barbecue. Not for musicians on stage.
5. Being respectful and friendly will take you much further than being superior and entitled.

6. Going to other bandsí shows is THE most important thing you can do to support your scene.

7. Your sceneís gatekeepers are friends with each other. Get in with one and youíll get in with them all. If you piss one off, prepare to be blacklisted.

8. You donít need press to pack a show. You need a strong work ethic
9. Physical promotional materials are still incredibly important. Get out into the world and put up some posters and hand out some flyers. Donít spend all of your time on Facebook.

10. Facebook is dying. If your entire promotional plan relies on it, youíre doomed.

11. You need to conquer your hometown before you can hit the road. If no one cares about you locally, what makes you think people will care about you anywhere else?

12. Touring means nothing unless people actually show up to your shows. Do not tour unless you know how youíre going to get a crowd at every show.
13. Playing around town all the time weakens your draw. Spread out your shows so you can promote one big show every 6-8 weeks.

14. HOWEVER, when youíre starting off, you need to play out everywhere and anywhere all the time to get practice. Record every show. Once YOU love listening to your live set (and non-friends and non-family tell you they love your band) then you can book real shows and charge a cover.

15. If you suck, you do not deserve to be paid. Get good first. Then you can start charging.

16. No one in the industry cares about how good your music is. They care about how successful you have become on your own.

17. Go out of your way to help others in your scene. It will eventually come back around.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:56 PM

Default Re: 17 Things Local Bands Don't understand .

I like all the points except 4.
Danny carey wears gym shorts every show he plays. Rrspekt
Old 05-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleStroke View Post
I like all the points except 4.
Danny carey wears gym shorts every show he plays. Rrspekt
Maybe #4 should read like this:

4. Image is actually important. Cargo shorts are for dads at a barbecue. Not for musicians on stage. However, once you become really, really successful, then you can wear whatever you want to...but not until then.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

That list may make sense in some Podunk town, but not anywhere I've lived in the last 20 years. The rules change DAILY now.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Daney Carey is not in a local band. What he wears isn't relevant to the article. Bassist Flea not being able to find a shirt that fits is not relevant as well.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 PM

haha true... I forgot what the title of the article was lolol
Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

I've worn cargo shorts once or twice to a gig, but that was in the dead of summer when it was 100 degrees outside at 7 pm (when we played).

I usually dress nice, but I made a fucking exception to that rule in that case.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

That's all good stuff Grut. I agree with all of it. I try do all of those things, or not do them, which ever applies. I'm old though I should know these things. The younger drummers should take this to heart. I like it also when our singer announces when bands members from other bands walk in.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Point 18 (Acshly, it should prolly be point number 0, before point number 1): When you're playing live, have fun. And LOOK like you're having fun. Grin like a demented loon. Then grin even more. What feels exaggerated and clownish* on stage is barely perceptible from a few metres away.

If the band members look like they're having fun, the audience is way more likely to enjoy the performance.

Of course if you're in a shoegazer or death metal band, you should prolly not look too cheerful.

* And I have the trousers to prove it!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:50 AM
JohnoWorld

If I'm sitting at the back of a room, darkened so most people can't see me, sweatier than a cornered paedophile, I'm gonna wear whatever I want, which will be as little as possible.

I really don't get why the cargo shorts is an issue. Here in Blightly we mostly play in dank, stinking back rooms of pubs. Air conditioning is NOT available almost everywhere so, I ask, was this written by an american or a brit?
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnoWorld View Post
...I really don't get why the cargo shorts is an issue...
Here's how I phrase it to my bandies: "Dress as outrageous as you feel comfortable with!" Turns out different peeps have different levels of comfortable. One of the guitarists wears jeans and a guitar-themed black t-shirt. The other dresses like he's Slash's dad. I figure if a band member is in conversation with a patron, and a third person says "that's him over there, talking to one of the guys in the band", it should be obvious which is the guy in the band.

Look like you're there to entertain, not like you're there to carry out routine maintenance.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Here's how I phrase it to my bandies: "Dress as outrageous as you feel comfortable with!" Turns out different peeps have different levels of comfortable. One of the guitarists wears jeans and a guitar-themed black t-shirt. The other dresses like he's Slash's dad. I figure if a band member is in conversation with a patron, and a third person says "that's him over there, talking to one of the guys in the band", it should be obvious which is the guy in the band.

Look like you're there to entertain, not like you're there to carry out routine maintenance.
OK, so according to the rules cargo shorts are out.......maybe it would be easier to provide an example of what is "in"....:-)

Summer gigs = shorts for me......and some of them have pockets. Club gigs back in the day = pants that won't get hung up on the beater from the bass drum.....and never skinny jeans.....because, well my junk likes to breath.....others' mileage may vary. Wedding gigs = tux........
Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

I am playing outside Saturday at 2:00 here in Louisiana. I am 60 years old, and I am someone's dad. I will be wearing shorts and some drum shirt. The OP is good info. Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

In my books #15 is the real #1, and the most important. "Get good first"
Old 05-04-2017, 05:17 PM
"Uncle Larry"

This is all good stuff. I don't think they were singling out cargo shorts, just shorts in general. Me, I don't like seeing shorts onstage even if it's hot, sorry. Man toe is highly offensive to me too. My legs don't get hot, my upper body does so long pants isn't an issue with me.

I like the part in the article that encourages you to attend other band's shows and be an active participant. Being respectful and good to your fellow musicians is good for you. Last time I checked, bands don't last forever, and the people in your local scene are the ones who will be considering your services should the need arise. We are all on the same team ultimately.

Lefty my main man makes a great point too. Announcing over the mic when a local musician walks in is just good for everyone. I know I felt great when I was recognized once in the early 80's lol.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:47 PM

I'm all for not being a D head at other bands shows, but singing along in the front row? That's weird.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Ya I don't know about singing in front of the stage but I definitely try to let them see I am enjoying what they are doing. When I am playing nothing gets me into it as much as seeing the audience get into it. And if they are playing a song I really like that most bands don't play, I think it is even more important. There is a local cover band that always plays Bodhisattva and I always am demonstrative to encourage them to keep playing it.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with the wearing of shorts, but only as it applies to the band members who are out front and standing up.

Me, I'm sitting behind my drums and most of the time nobody will ever see me anyway... they'll hear me, but they won't see me.

This would only apply in the summer months, however. My boys need to breathe!
Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Image and attitude is 90% of it.... I'd rather see an energetic band having fun than an amazing band stand still looking at their feet not moving.

I don't' care if they screw up, miss a few notes, have to start over.. If they are running around having a blast I am sold. Rock, country, metal, punk, funk. It doesn't matter. If the band is having fun on stage I am having fun watching. Good music and talented musicians are a good bonus though..But I have seen some mediocre bands that I really enjoyed watching, as well as some extremely tight good bands that didn't impress me.

I think you have to have it all to sucseed, but if you aren't having a blast up there move over for someone that is. I love to play.

As far as getting paid, until you have a decent following be happy to get gas money. My band usually makes sure gas is covered, and a case of beer for after. We often get more if the show does well, but in the "metal scene" if you get greedy you don't get gigs. Half the time I am just happy to open for a touring band I look up to and get to hangout with them and meet them before the gig starts. That is payment enough.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:11 AM

please DO NOT tune your instruments on stage! when i see a band do this I leave immediately, IF you do not have a spare "tuned" guitar or bass on stand by then tune quickly and SILENTLY. now get off my lawn!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumngun View Post
please DO NOT tune your instruments on stage! when i see a band do this I leave immediately, IF you do not have a spare "tuned" guitar or bass on stand by then tune quickly and SILENTLY. now get off my lawn!
Um, most bands retune throughout the night. I'd rather do that then them to "be cool" and fall out of tune by night's end.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
Um, most bands retune throughout the night. I'd rather do that then them to "be cool" and fall out of tune by night's end.
With a stompbox tuner a proficient guitarist should e able to tune silently and only take about 30 seconds.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Seems tuning on stage isn't the issue, but tuning AUDIBLY is the issue.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
With a stompbox tuner a proficient guitarist should e able to tune silently and only take about 30 seconds.
That specification wasn't said though.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumngun View Post
I really hope this is a joke. As a gigging guitarist I cannot begin to tell you how completely absurd this line of reasoning is. We have two different tunings we use so I am already bringing 2 guitars to every gig. So what I should bring 4? What if my backup goes out of tune? Its not like I have a tech that will tune them while I am playing. Should I bring 6 guitars to a club for my 45 minute support set? I would rather just tune when necessary. If that means you are leaving, then good riddance I guess.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

My bands have rack mounted heads with a tuner in them. When they tune it doesn't come out of the amp. they look at the display..

Out of tune guitars is frigging AWFUL to hear haha. It takes them about 15 seconds to get it back as they are already usually pretty close.

Every 2-3 songs I recommended tuning. Or grab a second guitar.

I agree though. The tuning song is pretty annoying to hear in the crowd, E,E,B,B,G,G,D,D,A,A,E,E (although we tune to B)

I'm sure people don't like to hear us tuning our drums on stage, or practicing doubles, grooving between songs. etc.

My band actually treats the last few jams before a gig LIKE the gig. Singer practices banter like he is at the gig. No screwing around between songs in the set etc.. It just makes things run smooth.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Two thoughts:

1. I get the point about shorts, but living in Texas where it can be 105 outside and humid, sometimes shorts are just a necessity. But I do prefer not to wear shorts, given that I have ugly legs.

2. The comment about not tuning on stage doesn't make sense. Ever watch an orchestra? Might be worth doing sometime. Check out this video of Frank Vignola, who is one of the best jazz guitarists in the world. Part way through, he adjusts the tuning of his instrument. Tuning is something every musician should be attentive to throughout a performance and make adjustments when necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOiBlL9pHMw
Old 05-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

The camouflage cargo short look has become my trademark, I wear them at most gigs and unless it's REALLY cold and wet that's my stage wear. And I live in NE England so cold and wet means cold and wet.
Coincidentally we were discussing image just recently. I agree with moving around a showing that you're enjoying yourself, perhaps the "grinning like a loon" comment was merely used as a turn of phrase but I've been asking one of my fellow band members to turn it down because it comes across more as childish and not (dare I say it) cool.
Another one to add- Never highlight a mistake after it's happened , never self deprecate, never jump in after one of the other band members has said something with a jokey "minimising" or self deprecating remark that undoes what they just said. It's one thing being humble but quite another to proactively and publicly do yourself down.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:32 PM

i heartily agree with the theme of these rules, but there are just too many of them. it can be distilled down to a single philosophy, in my pathetic opinion. be professional, in every respect (and respect is the operative word). let your professional attitude extend to every aspect of your musical endeavors, and you'll be known for that, and that's good. comport yourself in a professional manner.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
I'm all for not being a D head at other bands shows, but singing along in the front row? That's weird.
I played a gig a couple of years ago where my bandmates and I cheered and jumped around for the other 2 bands and they did the same for us. It made the night far more enjoyable and due to this we played more gigs together. It's not weird, it shows you respect other musicians and you will gain more respect for doing it.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:28 PM

Some of this also has to do with culture and style of music. Where I live shorts are pretty much the summer uniform, so it's not a problem for a band to wear shorts. And as for jumping around for the other band, I don't see a lot of jazz musicians quite doing that. But I do go and enjoy the music of other musicians and try to be encouraging and supportive. I really appreciate it when other musicians come out to my gigs.

Also, aside from being supportive, I learn things by watching/listening to other musicians. It makes me better, both to see the amazing things other people do and also to see the mistakes other people make and how they handle them.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
I played a gig a couple of years ago where my bandmates and I cheered and jumped around for the other 2 bands and they did the same for us. It made the night far more enjoyable and due to this we played more gigs together. It's not weird, it shows you respect other musicians and you will gain more respect for doing it.
Hmmm..... That arrangement sounds like enthusiastic members are being 'planted' in the audience. Not cool, and not genuine IMO.
But glad you enjoy doing it.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Hmmm..... That arrangement sounds like enthusiastic members are being 'planted' in the audience. Not cool, and not genuine IMO.
But glad you enjoy doing it.
I agree. It also sounds odd doing something for the purpose of gaining respect. I focus on my playing and learning from others. If that gains respect, fine, but I don't go out looking to gain respect. I just try to be the best I can. And appearances don't mean much in any case.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

I would have one : once you're on the stage, you play ! You don't have a bloody break after three songs or a pause doing anything else between songs, you play.

Maybe it's a French things but THIS gets on my nerves, 3 minutes between each songs, for the sound, tuning, discussing, and breaks to have a beer after 4/5 songs, grrr. Such disrespectful to the audience. I saw it many times. People are there to listen to you, not to hear "and now the band is gonna have a little coffe break.." Or to watch the musicians asking themselves what they are going to play.

Otherwise I of course agree to the points up there. So relevant.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamaefx View Post
I would have one : once you're on the stage, you play ! You don't have a bloody break after three songs or a pause doing anything else between songs, you play.

Maybe it's a French things but THIS gets on my nerves, 3 minutes between each songs, for the sound, tuning, discussing, and breaks to have a beer after 4/5 songs, grrr. Such disrespectful to the audience. I saw it many times. People are there to listen to you, not to hear "and now the band is gonna have a little coffe break.." Or to watch the musicians asking themselves what they are going to play.

So what you are saying, then, is that it doesn't matter what it sounds like or if anything is in tune, you just play? I agree that the audience is not there to hear the band taking a break or endless fiddling with tuning, etc. But that's a lot different from making sure instruments are in tune. I do think the audience is there to hear something that doesn't sound like crap and if things are not in tune, it sounds like crap.

Your comment captures well the spirit of: "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!!"
Old 05-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

If formulas worked everyone would be successful.

Yes, you can reduce your chances but the same thing applies...if formulas for failure worked everyone would avoid it.

The definition of success and failure then becomes the interesting thing.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Of course not Taiko !
But what should be done before the show, needs to be done before and not during :-)
I've seen audience disappointed by that, and really bored : musicians stopping 3/4 minutes between each songs, fiddling and fiddling. Of course sometimes you have no choice (guitar strings, bad Larsen from mikes,...). But 1hour of concert for 6/7 songs and the rest eaten by infinite fiddling, that is a pain for audience.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
Would you settle for a soft foot tap from a corner tableh and the occasional head nod?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Of course not Taiko !
But what should be done before the show, needs to be done before and not during :-)
I've seen audience disappointed by that, musicians stopping 3/4 minutes between each songs, fiddling and fiddling. Of course sometimes you have no choice. But 45 minutes of concert 5 songs and the rest eaten by infinite fiddling that is a pain for audience.
Agreed, but the way you wrote it pretty much sounded like it didn't matter if the instruments were in tune--JUST PLAY! I went to a classical guitar concert recently and the guy spent a lot of time tuning. It's understandable, because that instrument can go out of tune very easily. Harpsichords are notorious for going out of tune during a song. Of course, I'm not thinking you play harpsichord in your concerts.

Actually, despite the fact that I understand the difficulties with his instrument, I found the constant messing with tuning to be distracting, particularly since the audience can't tell the difference with minute adjustments. But I also don't agree with the JUST PLAY mindset. If there is a problem, you need to fix it.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Last gig I did we did precisely this. It was purely because we didn't have enough material to play the slot. Guilty!