DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:27 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default I love playing drums at bars.

Sorry, but I do. I like that the people are right there. I don't like a big space between the band and the people. The feeling I get while playing, the growing respect I get from my bandmates and the audience alike...it's just the best feeling in the world. When people dance from the first song on, mostly women, well that's my goal. It makes me smile when that happens. The feeling stays with me for almost 2 days afterwards. There's nothing like it. It's pretty much the best thing in my life, after the people in my life of course.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: I love playing drums at bars.

It has it's positives, but I prefer to be up on a stage or riser for security/gear damage reasons.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

I like ice-cream, and I'm not apologizing for it. The feeling I get when I take a mouthful of delicious ice-cream and taste that amazing flavor... oh man... That feeling stays with me for at least 20 minutes. Nothing like it.

Oops, sorry, wrong forum....
Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 AM
Gold Member

I love playing Brown-eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Play That Funky Music, and Keep Your Hands to Yourself in bars. The feeling I get from watching the people dance is better than any drug.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsits View Post
I love playing Brown-eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Play That Funky Music, and Keep Your Hands to Yourself in bars. The feeling I get from watching the people dance is better than any drug.
Hell, they don't even need to dance...a bit of song recognition, a head bob...that's all it takes.

I play drums in one band and guitar in another. The band I play guitar in played Radar Love at out last gig. When we played the opening riff I saw one guy's face just light up. Mission accomplished!
Old 05-01-2017, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

I love small bars!
Many years ago I played with a band at a tiny bar called Squeaky's Tip Top in Augusta GA.
It was the middle of July. The owners of the place gave us almost everything in our ridiculous rider and I think I had one of the most memorable nights of my life.

The place was so small, but it was like a tiny little spark of pure happiness.

It must have been about 50 feet square, but it was packed and they had a back yard as the backstage area and you could order beers through a little window in the back of the bar.

There was a poster on a pole promoting the Flaming Lips. We thought it was a joke, but the owners said they were playing there in a couple weeks.

There are some times and places that really bring out the love of nostalgia and this was one of them.

There's nothing like playing at a bar in the heat of a summer night in the south of the US!
Old 05-01-2017, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

I just recently started playing the bars with a country band again. I'm enjoying it too. When the floor is packed with dancers, and everyone else is head bobbing, foot tapping etc. it's a great feeling. I've been in band for the last several years. but we didn't play many gigs. Now I'm playing a lot.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
It's pretty much the best thing in my life, after Jason of course.
Awww, so nice of you to say Lenny!

;-)
Old 05-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'm onboard with digging these kinds of gigs as well. I wish my younger self would have appreciated them the way my current self does.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

I have to like them, they're the only gigs I get. I like entertaining people and helping them have a good time. Spreading some good vibes in the world to counter all the bad vibes coming at me everyday.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Squeaky's tip top on Central-yeah I know it well-I believe it is closed now?? I use to teach at a Historic black college right near it-never visited but it was hopping on weekends.

I haven't gigged in a bar in decades-I haven't been in bar with band for decades until recently. I did like playing small venues with this jazz group-usually we were background music for an art show or some other venue. But we would always draw a crowd around us-and it is nice watching the people watch you-forced me to smile when I play-rather than my typical look of consternation like I'm taking a bowel movement. Hopefully bars are smoke free nowadays-unless it's herb lol.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Hopefully bars are smoke free nowadays-unless it's herb lol.
Depends on the state. Most here in CA I frequent have an outdoor area where it's permitted to drink and smoke.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Sorry, but I do. I like that the people are right there. I don't like a big space between the band and the people. The feeling I get while playing, the growing respect I get from my bandmates and the audience alike...it's just the best feeling in the world. When people dance from the first song on, mostly women, well that's my goal. It makes me smile when that happens. The feeling stays with me for almost 2 days afterwards. There's nothing like it. It's pretty much the best thing in my life, after the people in my life of course.
totally get what youre saying.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Depends on the state. Most here in CA I frequent have an outdoor area where it's permitted to drink and smoke.
There's a place I play and visit that even has a smoking patio. They look the other way at all the people who are sparking up on the weed out there too.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

In Phila, weed is just a ticket now.

About 2 weeks ago, in a bar in Philly, right before we started the first song, I leaned down and made like I was adjusting my footpedal but really I was taking a toke. The bathroom was in use. I probably could have done it openly, but I figured I better not.

I can't believe I still have to hide this.

Sounds nuts but I don't think I would want to be successful in the music business. I get plenty of enjoyment at the level I'm at. I don't get the same feeling playing a festival that I do at a hoppin' bar. Not even close.

I definitely want what I have, I don't pine about not playing concerts regularly.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
There's a place I play and visit that even has a smoking patio. They look the other way at all the people who are sparking up on the weed out there too.
Unless the owners say otherwise, it's not really illegal anymore. Private establishment and new rules make it sort of how smoking was before.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

That's one of the things I enjoy about playing in a 50's band. Within ten seconds of starting the first song the dance floor is filled with happy dancers in costumes spinning and lifting and jumping, smiling the whole time. Clapping every song, thanking us after each set. Makes you feel appreciated.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Gold Member

Agree with you Larry. Its been a while for me but doesnt get much better than a nice floaty bar gig, not looking for anything larger scale. Decriminalization rocks
Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Depends if you get the festival audience hoppin' or not ;)
Last festival I played people were like 75 feet away. It was in the early afternoon. Admittedly, the festivals I play..the crowd is more tame than say my favorite bar gig on a Friday night. People generally let their hair down more at night where I am. I do feel more important playing festivals, but give me a hopping bar anytime.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:46 PM

I enjoy playing bars too. As long as they are kinda nice. Up here in Maine there can be so seedy seedy dive filled with dangerous characters. So you have to know the venues and not say yes to anything. Obnoxious drunks and brawls can ruin any show for us and make things dangerous. Anyplace you feel nervous just walking in with your kit and getting the stink eye from dirty angry looking people before you have even set a piece of gear down on the floor is not my cup of tea. But any reasonably safe fun bar type venue is cool with me. You don't have to be too loud, and the people generally are there to have a good time. You can get paid pretty good and if they give you a free meal and a beer even better!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 PM

I love playing drums at some bars.

At some others, you could be the drummer in the best band in the world and they wouldn't even notice.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 PM

I love the intimate, small bar gigs far more than a festival show. I did one in Flagstaff last year & we were REALLY separated from the crowd. Felt like we were just playing by ourselves.

Then come home to play a show where we're right on the floor next to the tables at 3/4 of the volume.

Sure, I've done the dive bar thing & they have their place, but these days, if you can pick your poison for gigs, doing a smaller show is the bees knees!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Pubs are the best way to cut your teeth.

If you can handle yourself doing pubs (bars in the US) you can play anywhere.

There's part of me that misses playing classic rock covers, the inner Bonham/Paice needs to be appeased from time to time!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:58 PM

I make a living playing bars. No lie. One house gig every Wednesday night in Treasure Island, and three or four other gigs every week, with 1-4 different bands. I have no desire for touring, as I can make just as much money, if not more, and sleep in my own bed every night.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Bars are fun. People go there to drink and cut loose. Inhibitions are lower and people feel freer to be themselves (for better or worse). And as a musician, that puts you in a certain frame of mind playing in a bar. I enjoy the bar gigs, even when the pay isn't great, because the experiences are usually priceless.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 PM

I enjoy it, a lot. When there are people there. When its dead, its a challenge, but we try to keep a good attitude about it. The few people that are there deserve the show they came for, too. We always call it a paid rehearsal.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
I love small bars!
Many years ago I played with a band at a tiny bar called Squeaky's Tip Top in Augusta GA.
It was the middle of July. The owners of the place gave us almost everything in our ridiculous rider and I think I had one of the most memorable nights of my life.

The place was so small, but it was like a tiny little spark of pure happiness.

It must have been about 50 feet square, but it was packed and they had a back yard as the backstage area and you could order beers through a little window in the back of the bar.

There was a poster on a pole promoting the Flaming Lips. We thought it was a joke, but the owners said they were playing there in a couple weeks.

There are some times and places that really bring out the love of nostalgia and this was one of them.

There's nothing like playing at a bar in the heat of a summer night in the south of the US!
Squeaky's! Great memories of that place, played there many times. Thanks for the mnemonic nudge!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 AM

If the audience is digging it, it's a blast no matter where I'm playing. But yeah, I also enjoy the little bar gigs the most these days. There's a small bar that I play regularly where, if the crowd is really dancing and getting into it you feel the wood floor bouncing slightly. That's always the goal there; "boys, let's get that floor bouncing tonight!" Lol, fun place to play!
Old 01-05-2018, 02:09 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think I've ever played in a venue that didn't have a bar (well, Disneyland qualifies as not having a bar, sometimes).
Old 01-05-2018, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

I can relate to that. It's part of the reason I still play the occasional house show at my relatively old age. Also because I'm in a college town and the house show scene is actually very vibrant and a great way to build up a fan base who can't see you in a proper venue, especially for those not playing mainstream music.

The spaces are so cramped that the crowd is right up in there with you, it's just a different energy and emotional feedback. I've done some experiments in these situations; I've become a fan of setting up in the round, it really forces the crowd around you in ways you normally wouldn't ever experience. It blurs the line between the concept of an audience and active participants. It's a hoot looking over my cymbals and my shoulders and and seeing faces I don't know, doing things I wouldn't expect.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 AM

I love playing bars too, but as a drummer in an all originals band I am here to tell you that the luxury of playing bigger venues and the odd festival is a long way from getting old for this player.
I love playing pretty much anywhere, but nothing can ( currently) compete with a reasonably sized stage ( There are 9 of us) and an audience I can't see because they are a long way back from the light gantry, but can hear because there are a lot of them.
Or indeed having a light gantry.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:53 AM

Put me in the corner where it's reeeeeeeal tight !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCWdLCeXnI
Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Renegade

I loved playing bars in the 70s and 80s when you could draw an enthusiastic crowd with original non-metal music.

Home recording is much more rewarding for me now - I can play the music that I most enjoy, even if bar goers are too sober and taste-challenged these days to get into it :)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNGrohl View Post
I enjoy playing bars too. As long as they are kinda nice. Up here in Maine there can be so seedy seedy dive filled with dangerous characters. So you have to know the venues and not say yes to anything.....
I played in just about every bar along the coast in the 1990's, from the Old Port Tavern to Machias. The only place we refused to play was Tozier's II in Bucksport.

I definitely have some crazy stories from playing in Maine. Not sure if I can tell them here, though...
Old 01-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostin one View Post
I played in just about every bar along the coast in the 1990's, from the Old Port Tavern to Machias. The only place we refused to play was Tozier's II in Bucksport.

I definitely have some crazy stories from playing in Maine. Not sure if I can tell them here, though...
Oh, I would love to hear them :)

My car died after playing in Machias two months ago...gak! That was a heckuva weekend, getting the car back to Bangor.

(Tow company wanted $300! Fortunately I have a friend with a truck big enough to tow it...blew out a muscle in my leg, pushing the car onto the car carrier. Of course it was my primary kick drum leg, too, so I got a three week exercise in playing kick with my off-foot!)

Toziers has been closed for some time...I think it used to be where Ramona's is now. I haven't gotten in there yet, tho I hear its a trip some times
Old 01-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

The last time I played in a bar, in Pineville, Louisiana, no one responded to anything we played in the first set. Then during our second set, they danced to everything we played. Peace and goodwill.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Our band loves playing in bars so much that two of the members quit their day jobs and bought a pub. We play there once or twice every month, and they have live music five nights a week. Best thing for me is that there's a great house PA, lights amps and drum kit. Free drinks for the band. And it's packed full of friends every time we play.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
Our band loves playing in bars so much that two of the members quit their day jobs and bought a pub. We play there once or twice every month, and they have live music five nights a week. Best thing for me is that there's a great house PA, lights amps and drum kit. Free drinks for the band. And it's packed full of friends every time we play.

Pretty much what you have to do these days to get a steady gig... buy the place.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

I totally agree. I had a gig last night that I thought would be empty because of the weather but it turned out great. We had the dance floor packed at one point. That's a good feeling and it's like a drug. Makes putting my stuff in the car and driving in this crappy weather worth it.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM

Played a gig in the bar of a restaurant Saturday night. Since we started during prime dining time, we had to keep it as quiet as possible, which I think we did a decent job at. As the night progressed, we opened it up a little. Ended up having a few people dancing around the bar (no dance floor in this location) and when it came time to be done, they asked if we'd play another 30 minutes for a few extra bucks....so, yes... then after those 30 minutes, the owner came up and asked for another 30 minutes...so, yes.... :)

That was a lot of fun, for a gig that we went in thinking was gonna be little more than background music.