DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:10 PM

Default 95% Performances - looking for 100%

Hi All,

It seems I can't play 30 mins of material (which I know very well) without about 2 mistakes For example, I might wimp out on a fill or even momentarily think about what I am doing rather than letting the performance flow.

I don't think there has been a gig in the last year which I 100% nailed. Yet when I hear pro's its nailed live night after night.

Given the imperfections of playing club gigs (not your own kit being a biggy) any ideas on what to do to ensure consistent performance?

I am not much of a counter of beats and bars but I am entertaining the idea for example...

Thanks!

D
Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 95% Performances - looking for 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by danierusan View Post
Hi All,

It seems I can't play 30 mins of material (which I know very well) without about 2 mistakes For example, I might wimp out on a fill or even momentarily think about what I am doing rather than letting the performance flow.

I don't think there has been a gig in the last year which I 100% nailed. Yet when I hear pro's its nailed live night after night.

Given the imperfections of playing club gigs (not your own kit being a biggy) any ideas on what to do to ensure consistent performance?

I am not much of a counter of beats and bars but I am entertaining the idea for example...

Thanks!

D
You have to know the songs, and you have to practice. There's no two ways about it. From your post, it sounds like you're focusing entirely on your parts, and not on the song as a whole. Do you hear the song changing from verse to chorus, to bridge? Do you use dynamics when warranted? All of these things would indicate that you're in tune with the other musicians on stage. In order to have a 100% night, you've got to be in tune with everyone else on that stage and hearing what they're hearing. You don't have to necessarily know the names of the chords, but you should be able to hear the changes between them.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Your concept of a mistake may be a little too stringent, and being too occupied with that can definitely affect your performance. I'm not suggesting you compromise your standards or stop caring, just be realistic. Don't get stuck on the idea that the pros are 100% every time, because they will always tell you there was something they could/should have done better.

The best way to combat problems is to practice. When you're confident about parts and your playing, you'll have less mistakes. Or at least you'll spend less time worrying about them.

As for percentages - 95 vs 100% - if you're mistake level is really 5%, it would be extremely obvious, along the lines of a missed or flubbed stroke every few bars! I suspect you're probably closer to 100% than you think. But I guess it also depends on the kind of mistakes you make and the impact they have on the rest of the music. Practice will help your confidence, which in turn will help you relax more when playing. You'll still need to focus, but the confidence will help reduce the obsession with perfection.

Bermuda
Old 04-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Easy, Simplify your parts. Practice more. Listen to recordings of yourself. A lot of times Ive felt i've caused a train wreck or that something i've done is super noticeable as a mistake only to watch the vid or hear the playback and realize it isn't so. Also some of those mistakes have been incorporated later as the new actual part for the song if it works really well. There will always be things you could have done better but often times we just are too focused on our own playing and forget how it sounds in the context of the rest of the group.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

What do you mean by mistake?
Are you referring to something insignificant that only you notice or a major mistake where the entire band is staring at you?
If it's a little thing that only you notice that's maybe a tom hit in a fill maybe simplify that part or practice it and make sure you have it down, if it's a major mistake like a tempo change too early or too soon then study the parts a little more and maybe write out a map of the song on your snare head to guide you through it.
If you're just being really critical of yourself that's a good thing but don't let it get in the way of enjoying playing music and don't let it get you down on yourself, that won't do you any good!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:16 PM

Wow lots of answers very quickly :)

I suppose 95% is a bit harsh. I'm probably playing 99.5% of the notes spot on but there are still perhaps 2 audible mistakes (I'll be honest I get enough of the right kind of compliments to think I'm not s**t).

But still for my own benefit, since I push myself quite hard I wonder if there is specifically something more I could do...

I think practice may be a part but it's not my day job so I may might spend 3 hrs in the week prior hitting either the whole set or problem spots.

I also think it might be a mental thing - Sometimes I step out of 'the zone' and think about what I am doing or worse think about whats coming up later in the track while I am playing!

D
Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 PM
Ghostnote

I'm sure that a lot of those "flawless" performances you've witness were, from the perspective of the player himself, less than perfect. Small flubs that seem glaringly obvious to you are often not picked up at by the audience, especially when amplified.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Wow lots of answers very quickly :)

I also think it might be a mental thing - Sometimes I step out of 'the zone' and think about what I am doing or worse think about whats coming up later in the track while I am playing!
You beat me to it. Most if not all drumming problems start in the mind.
Staying in the zone...and not leaving... it sounds like that's the skill you need to be aware of.

Onstage, don't think.

Feel.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:13 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
But still for my own benefit, since I push myself quite hard I wonder if there is specifically something more I could do...

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play your best and avoid mistakes, but striving for perfection will occupy too much of your energy on the gig. You need a certain amount of focus, but also be able to relax and feel the music around you.

Obviously you have to think about what you're playing, but it can't consume you. Otherwise you're just playing on eggshells™ instead of going with the musical flow.

Bermuda
Old 05-01-2017, 02:18 AM
Ghostnote

This one says it all...

https://youtu.be/AZn9ghG9nRw
Old 05-01-2017, 02:19 AM

Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) in an interview spoke of how frequently mistakes happened and there were often 'looks' given.

He made a rule - hear a mistake - smile at the member that made the mistake.

The next show a fan commented how in previous shows they'd been so grim - now they were all so happy!

I always hear/remember my mistakes more than anything else.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
This one says it all...

https://youtu.be/AZn9ghG9nRw
Yeah that raised a smile :)

It also sounds like these things happen.

Sounds like I could do with a little bit more over practice and a fair bit more trust in myself mid-gig.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM

30 minutes with 2 mistakes .. seriously? you must be one of those professional type drummers.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 PM

As long as this doesnt happen you generally get away with some mistakes.....

https://youtu.be/F33V34o0OwE
Old 05-01-2017, 10:42 PM

And remember, your "mistakes" are not actual mistakes if your general crowd doesnt notice them. Thats not to say be content with mediocrity either.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:26 PM

To use a hockey analogy.....

The test of a reliable goalie is not that he never lets in a goal. Every goalie does, but a great goalie can carry on without being so rattled, so full of self-doubt, that one failure ruins him for the whole game.

It's a strange admission, but my confidence in performing isn't based on my ability. I know that because I had confidence even when there was hardly any skill to back it up. I don't know where it comes from, but I know I couldn't play in public without it.

So, thankfully, minor errors don't undermine my confidence and I can continue unperturbed. Listening to a recorded flub is the painful motivation to do better next time.

This is disjointed but maybe you can decipher my meaning?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostar View Post
As long as this doesnt happen you generally get away with some mistakes.....

https://youtu.be/F33V34o0OwE
Wow, I'd be hitting the eject button pretty quick after some asshat like that started pitching drums and cymbals around. Hell, I refuse to stick around if I just find a band member habitually annoying. Music is supposed to be fun. I'm too old to put up with bull$#it like that. God knows, I put up with enough of it when I was younger just for the sake of keeping a good band together.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
To use a hockey analogy.....

The test of a reliable goalie is not that he never lets in a goal. Every goalie does, but a great goalie can carry on without being so rattled, so full of self-doubt, that one failure ruins him for the whole game.

It's a strange admission, but my confidence in performing isn't based on my ability. I know that because I had confidence even when there was hardly any skill to back it up. I don't know where it comes from, but I know I couldn't play in public without it.

So, thankfully, minor errors don't undermine my confidence and I can continue unperturbed. Listening to a recorded flub is the painful motivation to do better next time.

This is disjointed but maybe you can decipher my meaning?
Completley follow you actually Thanks!