DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Getting into recording drums

Over the summer, I'll be busting butt to save up money for a project that a few friends and I are undertaking in the fall, kind of a Travelling Willburys thing. The other two guys have their own recording equipment and the guitarist is somewhat experienced with recording, just not with drums, so they've left the drum recording process up to me. I'm clueless as to where to start, all I know is that I have a space, time, and a budget of about $1,200.

My kit is a Ludwig Element Birch - 22, 16, 14, 12. Got New Orleans 14" hats, a 17" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid crash, and a 22" Impression smooth ride

Couple of questions:

1. I'd like to go for a three-mic, Glyn Johns style setup. I'm not too keen on close-micing and I don't think that will fit the sound we're going for. I'm aiming at an AKG D112 on the kick, but what for overheads?

2. Going for an older, 60's-70's style sound. I've got coated heads all around the kit at the moment (no muffling save for a felt strip on bass reso) and I'm digging the warm, open sound. Will the Glyn Johns method capture the sound well? Or is there a better method?

3. The guitarist has a DAW program and a small, three input mixer. What will I need (besides mics) to record my set? Should I invest in a bigger mixer?

4. Is it possible to record the set first and then instruments after? I'm also recording bass and vocals and I'd like to record separately if possible.

5. Any other tips/suggestions?

This project is really meant for us to have a bit of fun and learn in the process, and it'll definitely be a learning experience for me as I've never recorded before.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: Getting into recording drums

You know, a lot of people forget that you could use a simple drum machine beat to record with the other guys, and then you could overdub live drums later like the rest of the adults ;)

There are quite a few videos on how to do the Glyn Johns thing, check those out. I tried it and it really works well. Definitely starting with less mics is a good way to learn. I've done some pretty good recordings with just two mics, so check out those videos as well.

And have fun!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AModestRat View Post
5. Any other tips/suggestions?
Creative Studio Lab is run by a studio engineer that is an actual drummer. Subscribe to the chan and check out every one of his drum related videos.

For a $1200 budget, I'd recommend:

Two AT2020's (or other decent ~$100 hi-SPL LDCs)
An SM57 for snare (or other comparable ~$100 dynamic)
A BD mic (e602, B52, etc)
A Room Mic (A third $100-200 LDC)
An 8 chan interface (Zoom R24, focusrite, presonus, etc)
5 cables, 2 short booms, 3 long booms

What do you already have? Any mics or a laptop, etc?
What does everyone else already have?
What DAW is everyone using (it's much easier if you all agree on one, but mixing DAWs is certainly doable)?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

If you get a bigger mixer it's always nice when you are ready to upgrade. Better preamps are always a good choice over more though.

I say record to a click track. Much easier if your recording separate.

I have 2 ways to do it.

Record drums and guitar at the same time, separate tracks, Use a click or don't if you don't want to. Now delete the drums. You have just created a scratch guitar track.... Now you can record your drums to that track and do punch ins, and take your time until they are perfect. Delete the scratch guitar and record the rest over the drums.

Optioin 2.. Program the drums, record guitar, delete programmed drums. either use the first guitar or re record the guitars over accoustic drums..

It's a bunch of going back and forth and that is how my bands tend to do it. one uses programmed drums. recorded guitars. then I record real drums, then they rerecord the guitars. The other does option 2. I am either programing or recording twice either way. haha